4 arrested at Maven Hotel, police feared a “Las Vegas style shooting” during All-Star Game

lmao

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

If there are more than just “divorce” guy it’s not what it is. The fact they haven’t released the woman’s name is interesting.

Kanoelehua is the woman.

Edited by miguelito
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I think Slorch is on to something. Kids are no longer taught by their parents how to deal with disappointment, rejection, or life difficulties. They are taught they are perfect, it is the other person who is at fault, and that retribution is ok. The retribution is just a lot worse when these kids grow into adulthood. Then you add in addictions, and they are part of the wrong crowd, they are invincible in their eyes, and shit turns deadly.

When I was a kid, if I got in trouble at school, I could expect to be in trouble when I got home. My parents, taught me how deal with disappointment, difficulties, rejection, and depression, and how to be respectful, courteous, sympathetic and conscious of other's feelings. My wife had the same "old school" upbringing as I. That is the way we raised our son as well. At 23, he has all of those traits. I have never had to bail him out of a difficult situation, caused by any of those negative traits.

He had a few classmates, that were raised in the former, that are now in jail. They were the perfect bad examples. Their parents were the ones that always sided with their kid over the teacher, which seems to be the new norm. All that teaches the kid is they don't have to respect authority (even if the authority figure is wrong) because Mama always has their back. But Mama has a lot more difficult job when things go criminal.

CHIEF

Ah yes, the "kids these days just aren't as a tough as we were" argument. Seriously, every generation says this. It's a stupid trope and should die in a fire. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

"The Federal Bureau of Investigations released a statement Sunday, saying they are not aware of any threats to the All-Star Game and have no reason to believe Friday's arrests were connected to the event at this time.

"We have no reason to believe this incident was connected to terrorism or a threat directed at the All-Star Game. We are not aware of any threat to the All-Star Game events, venues, players, or the community at this time," the statement read."

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/4-arrested-at-maven-hotel-police-feared-a-las-vegas-style-shooting-during-all-star-game-in-denver

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Nice try, but that is not the preferred narrative. 

I agree with others questioning what was actually happening here. Doesn’t seem like a precursor to a mass shooting event. Will be interesting to learn what they were up to.

not putting up the do not disturb sign is a pretty fucking stupid move.

This whole country is based on a 'Me First' mentality.  My rights and individual freedom comes before anything else.  We are a nation of selfish people.  It's being played out by mass shootings and our unwillingness to get vaccinated.  Most Asian countries don't have this problem because they value the common good of the people over the individual.  We could learn some things from them.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I agree with others questioning what was actually happening here. Doesn’t seem like a precursor to a mass shooting event. Will be interesting to learn what they were up to.

It might have been. I was just thinking how quickly everyone’s thoughts went to that and was making a quick joke out of it since no tragedy had actually occurred.   We have too many stupid and mentally ill people in this country.  It’s a travesty. I’d like to hope it was an arms deal but fuck who knows these days. 

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Were they part of a drug deal gone bad? No questioning the mass shooting theiry. Just is an odd story. Like that golf pro shot and killed and two other guys in a trunk in Atlanta on a golf course. If you’ve read up on that story it makes no sense either. Again still fluid. 

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Were they part of a drug deal gone bad? No questioning the mass shooting theiry. Just is an odd story. Like that golf pro shot and killed and two other guys in a trunk in Atlanta on a golf course. If you’ve read up on that story it makes no sense either. Again still fluid. 

They had a meeting set up with Mike Ehrmantraut, but Hector's boys were on to the plan and gave the maid a C-Note to go in and scuttle the ship.  Gus is now looking into what the next moves are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

"The Federal Bureau of Investigations released a statement Sunday, saying they are not aware of any threats to the All-Star Game and have no reason to believe Friday's arrests were connected to the event at this time.

"We have no reason to believe this incident was connected to terrorism or a threat directed at the All-Star Game. We are not aware of any threat to the All-Star Game events, venues, players, or the community at this time," the statement read."

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/4-arrested-at-maven-hotel-police-feared-a-las-vegas-style-shooting-during-all-star-game-in-denver

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ah yes, the "kids these days just aren't as a tough as we were" argument. Seriously, every generation says this. It's a stupid trope and should die in a fire. 

My comment was about parenting, not the kids.

see what you want.  It doesn't change the results.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, these fucks are in their 40's, they aren't kids. These people were just raised different, they are part of my generation. Poor parenting is not generation specific. What a stupid fucking take. You take anyone from any generation and tell them they are special and the rules don't apply to them and you have raised a fucked up individual. We see dads in fist fights over Little League games, people take shit way too seriously. America's main problem is that no one can no longer let anything "slide", no one in America is willing to take the "high road". When you have no one willing to apologize, because it's always the other person's fault, this is exactly what we get. 

We have always had busybodies, we have always had Karens, but not near the extent that we have now. We have always had road rage, but not to the extent now. We have always had Charles Whitmans, but not to the extent we have now.  

Have you never seen a 1950's Western where the richest rancher in the area had a bad kid that always did bad shit, and his father would always cover for him and the rules didn't apply to him? 

The problem is most people now are that rich rancher. The premise was always that the entitled prick kid was the way he was because of his upbringing. Sometimes the kid was humbled and set straight and apologized for his actions, but most of the time he was hanged for shooting someone, or was shot himself. The same thing is going to happen in America today, those kids get a wake up call, or it ends badly, and it usually ends badly. Total disregard for human life because they weren't taught to handle their shit.

Are there still great parents, absolutely. But if this trend moves the needle .000001% the wrong direction, how many more potential mass shootings is that. Especially with discipline being taken out of our school system, for some, that was the only place with rules and consequences that they were not getting at home. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I asked this a couple years ago but everyone wanted to focus on guns instead of the mental health issues which are obviously the underlying problem. Guns just make it easier. I believe the problem is mental health, but not necessarily a diagnosed mental illness, but instead a culture which breeds mental issues. Some of these have been touched on above with respect to accountability.

The primary issue with mental health deficiencies I believe is cultural and the second is true mental deficiency/illness.

I think single parent/two-parent working households presents an enormous problem. We are bombarded with everything we HAVE to have and in order to have those things, one of the sacrifices is for both parents to work. In the case of single parents, there isn't an option, they are the sole breadwinner. Not only are parents not parenting and teaching kids respect and caring for others, personal responsibility, and a sense of morality, they just aren't present. They are working. And when they are there, they are more focused on themselves than on the sacrifice it takes to actually raise kids properly. I'm not immune to this, nobody is. But there are different levels and I think there is a healthy balance of taking care of oneself and the responsibility that comes with raising kids. But the US leads the world in consumerism and image by a large margin and I think that has created a culture of judging people by what they have and not who they are/what type of person they are. This lack of parenting also leads to the lack of accountability issues others have talked about because either consciously or subconsciously, the parents realize they are absent to some degree and don't want to risk further alienating their kids, so they always side with them, never punish, always reinforce that the kids is right. This isn't parenting.

Secondly is social media. Too many people in this world (and especially this country) are focused on "me" instead of "us". Everyone can be a star or the perfect family or live the perfect life on Facebook/Insta/TikTok and these outlets create a false sense of reality for people who see themselves as NOT having the same stuff/life/experience/happiness as everyone they see on social media. It breeds discontent and depression and a sense of loneliness and lack of caring for others. The only way to reach out and develop relationships is online with other people who have similar experiences and harbor the same feelings and it spirals downward from there. We see this clearly with Politics - people's world view shrinks because they are force fed more content that supports their world view and demonizes any other viewpoints. Again, this is rooted in the rampant consumerism and the need to HAVE things and be LIKED which is fostered by our material/marketing culture more in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Third is true mental illness. Some people just have their wires crossed and should be treated but are not. That's an entirely different conversation, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

For those who don't have a moral compass to help guide them, (from not being raised to have this moral compass) they lose a sense of right/wrong and instead focus on the unfairness of the Haves/Have Nots they see playing out on their Twitter/Insta accounts. They eventually depersonalize the Haves and feel justified in killing these people.

My $0.02.

Spot on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

My comment was about parenting, not the kids.

see what you want.  It doesn't change the results.

I didn't quote you and wasn't talking about you. I have no idea what you mean by "I see what you want." I just think the argument that everything was better in old days is stupid. 

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Dude, these fucks are in their 40's, they aren't kids. These people were just raised different, they are part of my generation. Poor parenting is not generation specific. What a stupid fucking take. You take anyone from any generation and tell them they are special and the rules don't apply to them and you have raised a fucked up individual. We see dads in fist fights over Little League games, people take shit way too seriously. America's main problem is that no one can no longer let anything "slide", no one in America is willing to take the "high road". When you have no one willing to apologize, because it's always the other person's fault, this is exactly what we get. 

We have always had busybodies, we have always had Karens, but not near the extent that we have now. We have always had road rage, but not to the extent now. We have always had Charles Whitmans, but not to the extent we have now.  

Have you never seen a 1950's Western where the richest rancher in the area had a bad kid that always did bad shit, and his father would always cover for him and the rules didn't apply to him? 

The problem is most people now are that rich rancher. The premise was always that the entitled prick kid was the way he was because of his upbringing. Sometimes the kid was humbled and set straight and apologized for his actions, but most of the time he was hanged for shooting someone, or was shot himself. The same thing is going to happen in America today, those kids get a wake up call, or it ends badly, and it usually ends badly. Total disregard for human life because they weren't taught to handle their shit.

Are there still great parents, absolutely. But if this trend moves the needle .000001% the wrong direction, how many more potential mass shootings is that. Especially with discipline being taken out of our school system, for some, that was the only place with rules and consequences that they were not getting at home. 

CHIEF

Did you actually read your original post? This was the thesis statement: 

"Kids are no longer taught by their parents how to deal with disappointment, rejection, or life difficulties."

You followed it with a story about how when you were a kid you were taught these important lessons. 

I agree that your original post was a stupid fucking take. 

• Fuck You 1

Internet detective: divorced dude was gonna go out in a big fucking way. Like most miserable married middle age white guys he had amassed a pretty respectable gun collection. Decides to sell his guns or trade them for a bunch of coke or meth (hopefully coke bc come on bro) and hookers and maybe watch the AllStar game before offing himself. Samoan woman arrested is the hooker that connected him with the two Rodriguez brothers. Nosy Karen exwife calls in a wellness check and police use the maid excuse to get a warrant 

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not to pile on on the lady in question but reading this whole forum the last few years has taught me this: she’s either hot or not. Which is it? Given the ages of the people already arrested I am assuming…. not. Or am I wrong? It’s just a bunch of drug swapping low lifes. Be cool if she was hot and not a whale. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Internet detective: divorced dude was gonna go out in a big fucking way. Like most miserable married middle age white guys he had amassed a pretty respectable gun collection. Decides to sell his guns or trade them for a bunch of coke or meth (hopefully coke bc come on bro) and hookers and maybe watch the AllStar game before offing himself. Samoan woman arrested is the hooker that connected him with the two Rodriguez brothers. Nosy Karen exwife calls in a wellness check and police use the maid excuse to get a warrant 

Badassery!

29 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't quote you and wasn't talking about you. I have no idea what you mean by "I see what you want." I just think the argument that everything was better in old days is stupid. 

Did you actually read your original post? This was the thesis statement: 

"Kids are no longer taught by their parents how to deal with disappointment, rejection, or life difficulties."

You followed it with a story about how when you were a kid you were taught these important lessons. 

I agree that your original post was a stupid fucking take. 

You're right. I should have specified that it was not all kids, just more kids. Population growing and all that.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

But why are there so many instances of Americans walking into random crowds and killing strangers?

Daddy didn’t give affection and the boy was something that mommy wouldn’t wear

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jambon said:

This whole country is based on a 'Me First' mentality.  My rights and individual freedom comes before anything else.  We are a nation of selfish people.  It's being played out by mass shootings and our unwillingness to get vaccinated.  Most Asian countries don't have this problem because they value the common good of the people over the individual.  We could learn some things from them.

Yeah, they only have to worry about losing their heads for criticizing their government. Much, much to learn...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

8th floor?

If I was exchanging drugs for guns, I'd pick a place where I'm not going to be potentially encountering a shitload of people when I go up and down in the elevator, etc.

Or be a lot less obvious about going out with a bang.

I thought @immamac clearly stated there would be no CR talk. The discussion of gun ownership possibly being the cause of mass killings in the US or not is definitely a CR discussion. I know it’s hard to discuss mass killings or potential mass killings involving guns without crossing that line, but it can be done. Just trying to follow the rules. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

That’s a very unimpressive list when you stack it against what we deal with in this country. You wanna bring up Mexico, that violence is almost universally drug related. Civilians may get caught up in it but it’s always about one group getting back at another or one group trying to seize power/control of an area. Very easily rationalized. They’ve had one school shooting in the past decade, 2 died (including the shooter). It was a huge National story. That death count would barely last on the news for a day here. 

Random mass killings for no real reason are a uniquely American problem. They have happened and will happen in other places, but not at the volume we see here. I don’t know why. I don’t think anyone really knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s a very unimpressive list when you stack it against what we deal with in this country. You wanna bring up Mexico, that violence is almost universally drug related. Civilians may get caught up in it but it’s always about one group getting back at another or one group trying to seize power/control of an area. Very easily rationalized. They’ve had one school shooting in the past decade, 2 died (including the shooter). It was a huge National story. That death count would barely last on the news for a day here. 

Random mass killings for no real reason are a uniquely American problem. They have happened and will happen in other places, but not at the volume we see here. I don’t know why. I don’t think anyone really knows.

I’ll tell you why. 

We celebrate it more than any other country. We post it, tweet it, share it, etc. The news works around the clock to talk about their full name, where they’re from, interview their neighbors, talk to their co-workers, etc. 

Thats what every killers wants. They want the attention and they get it because our stupid fucking media culture force feeds us and we gobble it up.

There are other countries that hide and deliberately don’t show a killers name as it’s a law in some countries to conceal these clowns. Not US.

The killer wants attention and we give it to them. The cycle continues and grows. Social media and media is a laughable dysfunction at the center of everything wrong with this country. This is America.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

From OP (interesting collection of folks):

Richard Platt, 42, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (two counts), and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

Gabriel Rodriguez, 48, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Ricardo Rodriguez, 44, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, for investigation of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

——————-

They said a woman was arrested also…

Right above the part you quoted says it was three men and one woman and they gave four names… 

“In total, three men and one woman were arrested Friday night, along with two vehicles which were also impounded to be processed for possible evidence. 

Richard Platt, 42, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute (two counts), and a warrant from another jurisdiction.

Gabriel Rodriguez, 48, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Ricardo Rodriguez, 44, for investigation of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, for investigation of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, and a warrant from another jurisdiction.“

Edited by Covri
Disregard I see it was discussed on this page