Branson to Bezos "I hit that first"

RPM

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I mean, they had already landed and the altimeter was saying they were at 468 feet or so.   Lol.  

It was reading +/- 4600 feet.    That is taking into account the local altimeter reading for elevation above sea level.  Truth or Consequences, NM ain’t on the beach. 

Got to do the math, bruh. 

33 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I am sure there is more to it (other than a vanity project for Branson). But what is the purpose of this platform other than "space" tourism? 

Win the X-prize for Burt Rutan.   This is just a scaled up version of that original mission.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sir Richard set to take off from Spaceport America in 15 minutes. The only reason he's launching today is to beat Bezos. I like it.

That was some of the worst broadcasting/commentating Ive ever witnessed.

They even missed the takeoff and almost missed the landing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

It was reading +/- 4600 feet.    That is taking into account the local altimeter reading for elevation above sea level.  Truth or Consequences, NM ain’t on the beach. 

Got to do the math, bruh. 

Ahhhh.  That’s fair enough.  Just seemed like there was a lot of wonky shit on their feed and I was assuming distance from ground rather than sea level.  My bad 

SpaceX would have had the presentation produced to 10/10 and then Musk would have come out and derped up the presentation. VG ran 3/10 production out and Branson brought at least 5/10 charisma to the thing.  Can't wait to see what Bezo does. Can we just shoot all these fuckers into the sun?

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Can we just shoot all these fuckers into the sun?

1. Steal one of Disaster Area's spaceships.
  2. Cram all of them into said spaceship.
  3. Shoot said spaceship into the Kakrafoon sun as a part of a Disaster Area gig.
  4. Everybody pats themselves on the back and claims that it was a "good gig".

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I gotta tell you--I'm a space nerd.  But I'm completely underwhelmed by Virgin Galactic.  It looks like a fun amusement park ride, but that's about it.

A short X-15 flight vs a short Alan Sheppard flight.

Elon gonna John Glenn.

• Hook 'Em 1

Branson is selling tickets on this ride.  The VG feed had several references to the space "experience" beginning with the new state of the art private space port and high desert area around the area.  The whole ride is over in an hour, and you only go up and down, so there needs to be some other stuff around the experience to get the high rollers and Surly 1%'ers to pony up for the tickets.    

Anybody have a handle on the ticket price?  $1MM?  $10MM?  $100K?

31 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Branson is selling tickets on this ride.  The VG feed had several references to the space "experience" beginning with the new state of the art private space port and high desert area around the area.  The whole ride is over in an hour, and you only go up and down, so there needs to be some other stuff around the experience to get the high rollers and Surly 1%'ers to pony up for the tickets.    

I thought that they were like 250k. 

The VG plane ride up and drop from 50k feet should be a selling point for the "casual" space tourists that don't want the knock around of the full rocket ride experience on Bezo's phallus rocket. 

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Current pricing may be higher but most existing customers (like Bieber) paid $250k. I believe they have sold around 200 tickets? They are refundable though I believe.

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I gotta tell you--I'm a space nerd.  But I'm completely underwhelmed by Virgin Galactic.  It looks like a fun amusement park ride, but that's about it.

Yeah, most of it is just a plane ride. The rocket ride up and down to the plane elevation was about 5 minutes (?) with the zero gravity (just falling with style) was for about a minute; about the same duration as an amusement park ride. Probably parachuting is more thrilling than that brief tumble inside a tube.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If it blows up, I am going to buy a bunch of AMZN on the pre-market reaction. 

TBH, I'd bet that Bezos stepping down as CEO of AMZN had quite a lot to do with being the first human to fly on a brand-new rocket. Liabilities and continuity of business and all that.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Forgive my ignorance but why is the rocket so damn dirty? I get sandstorms blowing through but it looks like it needs to wash the road gunk off the tip. Or is that a design? 

I think it's the feather motif that they've been using. I agree that it looks bad lol

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Forgive my ignorance but why is the rocket so damn dirty? I get sandstorms blowing through but it looks like it needs to wash the road gunk off the tip. Or is that a design? 

Looks like some sort of graphic.