2021 MLB Draft Megathread

Sir Ulrich

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Kam Fields the next to last dude to be drafted. Good for him.

I fully expect everybody who got drafted to sign. It would take some real confidence that they have a big year in them for Ivan and Kubichek to return. Especially in Kubichek's case as we just signed a ton of pitchers and it looks like both Stevens and Hansen will be back. 

So maybe Melendez comes back but I wouldn't bet on it or anything.

Melendez is coming back. I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Kam Fields the next to last dude to be drafted. Good for him.

I fully expect everybody who got drafted to sign. It would take some real confidence that they have a big year in them for Ivan and Kubichek to return. Especially in Kubichek's case as we just signed a ton of pitchers and it looks like both Stevens and Hansen will be back. 

Stevens is gone. He's apparently similar to Williams in that he's ready to move on from college. 

I would be very surprised if Melendez is gone especially with Kendall Rogers reporting that he's likely back. Rogers is good buddies with Drew Bishop (director of baseball operations). Rogers likely has intel there but I guess anything can happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Not too bad at all. Congrats to Kam as well!

Yeah. Amazing we get to keep Hansen and Stevens to go with Witt. That is one hell of a weekend rotation. All the signees are coming, even the guy Dustin McComas thought we were foolish to even try to get on campus.

Very pleased.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Stevens is gone. He's apparently similar to Williams in that he's ready to move on from college. 

I would be very surprised if Melendez is gone especially with Kendall Rogers reporting that he's likely back. Rogers is good buddies with Drew Bishop (director of baseball operations). Rogers likely has intel there but I guess anything can happen. 

I did not know that about Stevens. That sucks. 

We'll see about Melendez. I know what Kendall Rogers believes but often things change once that pro club starts calling. I don't know how reasonable an assumption it is to make that he has a good chance to be drafted higher next year. 

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. Amazing we get to keep Hansen and Stevens to go with Witt. That is one hell of a weekend rotation. All the signees are coming, even the guy Dustin McComas thought we were foolish to even try to get on campus.

Very pleased.

Wouldn’t expect Stevens back but Witt-Hansen-Stewart will be a filthy weekend rotation. Then have Nixon, Duplantier, Gordon, Strickland and the freshman and jucos battle out the Tuesday spot and the rest of the bullpen 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I did not know that about Stevens. That sucks. 

We'll see about Melendez. I know what Kendall Rogers believes but often things change once that pro club starts calling. I don't know how reasonable an assumption it is to make that he has a good chance to be drafted higher next year. 

I think Melendez could definitely improve his draft stock if he played 1B or 3B. 

I don't see Melendez falling either as long as he continues to hit for power. Some team would take him in a similar spot next year at worst. Melendez has only played college ball for 3 years so it's not like Cam Williams/Stevens who have been in college for 5 years. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I think Melendez could definitely improve his draft stock if he played 1B or 3B. 

I don't see Melendez falling either as long as he continues to hit for power. Some team would take him in a similar spot next year at worst. Melendez has only played college ball for 3 years so it's not like Cam Williams/Stevens who have been in college for 5 years. 

No doubt he’d improve his draft stock playing a season in the field. Shit that’s probably what hurt him this year, just being a DH

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

It's also going to be interesting how NIL works in these sports. 

Somebody like Melendez isn't getting much money by leaving. Time for some boosters to set up some random branding deal with Melendez for a few thousand to keep him happy.  

Hey maybe he can be the guy Surly sponsors!

I am sure the football board would be pumped about that.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Somebody like Melendez isn't getting much money by leaving. Time for some boosters to set up some random branding deal with Melendez for a few thousand to keep him happy.  

The Hispanic Titanic t-shirts 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In addition to playing defense, Ivan has his best ABs of the season at the CWS, beginning with that 11 pitch single against Landon Sims in the 9th inning of game 1.  He did a much better job of not chasing subsequent to that AB.  If he can sustain a better pitch selection through most of a season & still hit with power, his stock should rise.

In case you are wondering why I discount his mid-season hot streak, I think most of those bombs came off lesser quality pitching.

I really hope he comes back &!not just for “us”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Just out of curiosity is there some logical explanation as to why Kash didn't get drafted at all? He seems like the baseball equivalent of a 5 star recruit.

Maybe he told them no or gave a price tag that was over his value to the clubs?

25 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Maybe he told them no or gave a price tag that was over his value to the clubs?

Always figure this is the case.  Players let it be known what their number is.  Once they drop past that slot pay range, they won't get drafted if teams believe the number.

All in all, this was a pretty good draft for the Longhorns.  Possibly great.  Unfortunate for Stevens that he didn't get drafted, but he'll catch on somewhere later this summer after some private workouts.  There was really only a chance that two of our recruits were gonna get drafted and that didn't come to fruition so the full slate of 10 guys will be on campus in about 5 weeks.  Madden and Quintanilla gonna get paid.  Cam Williams goes to the Royals who have one of the best development track records in minor league baseball.  Zubia will sign by the end of the week.  

Only real question marks as we've said on the draft side are whether or not Kubichek goes.  I think that'll take until the end of the month based on bonus pool money.  I think Melendez comes back.  He puts together a complete season of good hitting and just plays the field 1-2x/week (not even full time at the corners) to show some versatility...he goes in the first third of the draft next year.  We'll know on both for sure within 2 weeks.  

There are a couple of question marks on a couple of other guys who've been here 4 years who may opt to move on.  Maybe 1-2 transfer candidates now that the draft/recruiting picture just got more clear, as well as possibly getting a couple of transfers ourselves.  But we can do that on the 2022 Texas baseball thread and let this one drift away as signing deadline approaches.  

tl;dr---if you're a Longhorn fan, the draft was better than you were expecting.  for some of our players, it didn't go their way...but there are options for them at least and none of them suck.  We will very likely be a better overall team in 2022 than we were this year.  Maybe not quite as top-heavy but a better team top-to-bottom on both the staff side and the position side.  

You don't think the pipeline from their Dominican DSL team to their AAA affiliate and everybody in between...you don't think the Royals can identify and develop talent?  They were doing DomincanPesoBall before Moneyball was ever written.  They've been getting their rosters raided by wealthier teams for a long time, particularly in the last ten years.  And their record reflects that.  Their parent club is a joke, but they've been bringing guys along better than almost any other team in MLB for a long time now.  I'm talking about instruction/training from even before DSL to High A ball.  They're among the best in the business.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

All in all, this was a pretty good draft for the Longhorns.  Possibly great.  Unfortunate for Stevens that he didn't get drafted, but he'll catch on somewhere later this summer after some private workouts.  There was really only a chance that two of our recruits were gonna get drafted and that didn't come to fruition so the full slate of 10 guys will be on campus in about 5 weeks.  Madden and Quintanilla gonna get paid.  Cam Williams goes to the Royals who have one of the best development track records in minor league baseball.  Zubia will sign by the end of the week.  

Only real question marks as we've said on the draft side are whether or not Kubichek goes.  I think that'll take until the end of the month based on bonus pool money.  I think Melendez comes back.  He puts together a complete season of good hitting and just plays the field 1-2x/week (not even full time at the corners) to show some versatility...he goes in the first third of the draft next year.  We'll know on both for sure within 2 weeks.  

There are a couple of question marks on a couple of other guys who've been here 4 years who may opt to move on.  Maybe 1-2 transfer candidates now that the draft/recruiting picture just got more clear, as well as possibly getting a couple of transfers ourselves.  But we can do that on the 2022 Texas baseball thread and let this one drift away as signing deadline approaches.  

tl;dr---if you're a Longhorn fan, the draft was better than you were expecting.  for some of our players, it didn't go their way...but there are options for them at least and none of them suck.  We will very likely be a better overall team in 2022 than we were this year.  Maybe not quite as top-heavy but a better team top-to-bottom on both the staff side and the position side.  

Glad to see Antico picked in the 8th also.  Really liked that guy - couldn’t expect much more out of a one year guy.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1

yeah, didn't mean to skip over Antico .  He and Madden are the most cut 'n dry stories of our draft.  Both excelled here and played well on the big postseason stage.  Both are on their way to make big bucks.  I think Antico will thrive in the Cardinals organization, and maybe was even picked a little higher than most expected.  He'll be at AA-Springfield by next Independence Day (maybe just for a look), but book it.  

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Odd Kubichek got picked up before Hansen and stevens. And looks like we’re actually gonna get our whole recruiting class on campus. Melendez is definitely back. Play some in the field then get picked in the 5th or some shit next year 

Based on Pierce's complete lack of confidence in him in the postseason, I don't think Kubichek can expect to just slot right in to the weekend rotation.  I could see him starting on Tuesdays, dominating, then moving to Sunday in a best-case scenario though.  That would have been his role this year if we didn't have to bring Hansen along slowly. It makes sense for him to sign.

Looking at next year's roster I hope we're looking to add one more arm that can be a 3rd or 4th starter via the transfer portal. 

Texas is going to be very good at the top of the rotation with Witt and Hansen. 

They have some options with Stewart, Gordon and maybe Kubichek to be that 3rd starter. I think if you add one more proven starting pitcher in the rotation the roster goes from very good to one of the top teams in the country. 

On 7/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Looking at next year's roster I hope we're looking to add one more arm that can be a 3rd or 4th starter via the transfer portal. 

Texas is going to be very good at the top of the rotation with Witt and Hansen. 

They have some options with Stewart, Gordon and maybe Kubichek to be that 3rd starter. I think if you add one more proven starting pitcher in the rotation the roster goes from very good to one of the top teams in the country. 

This will work too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Antico went higher than expected so this is why. The Cardinals went way under slot to save money for other picks in the top 10 rounds. Either way, good for Antico to get an opportunity with a MLB team. 

Damn. The Cards are cheap.

Hopefully Antico has a nice long career so missing out on $151,000 is not such a blow.

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Damn. The Cards are cheap.

Hopefully Antico has a nice long career so missing out on $151,000 is not such a blow.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/

Signings as of 18 Jul.   

Others have signed for a similar bonus.   Cubs signed their 6th rd choice for 1K.   Have a great career Mike and make the bastards pay.

Edit:   If not reported,  Cam got 20K in the 19th rd.  Slot 125K.

Edited by torre

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Sounds like there's a question about his arm health. Skipped the pre-draft MRI program, so you gotta think his team knew something.

Seems like it isn’t uncommon for high draft picks to skip the pre draft program. Sucks for him, if he doesn’t sign I assume he is heading back to Vandy as the other options suck. It seems they should basically relegate them to free agents if the team does not sign them at slot value. He’s asking for over slot, but if they offered slot and he didn’t take it then it’s on him. If they never offered slot, then he should have better options available.

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Sign him, tommy John, improved pitcher 

Exactly. I posted this in another thread, but you can make an argument he’s a better prospect if he actually does have an elbow issue that can be treated. He lost velocity at times this season and this would explain that.