Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

How many olds remember Yeltsin and the others climbing on top of the tank?  Will we get that moment or a Romanian-style overthrow and execution, or will we get some shaky video taken by some fucknut who doesn't understand why you should always shoot video in landscape mode?

Edit: I know it's not quite comparable, since it was a coup d'etat attempt against Gorbachev, but for anybody curious, here's the timeline - shit escaped quickly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_1991_Soviet_coup_d'état_attempt

Pres-Russian-front-vehicle-flag-Boris-N-

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not betting money, but my gut says we won't be getting a Tiananmen Square scenario where the government crushes it and things go back to the way they were.

50 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I would watch the young officers and the non-secret police. If they stay in the barracks the regime is fucked. 

1234.  And if the non-secret police are standing by while their vehicles are flipped/destroyed, I feel like it's creeping along in that direction.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously, i don't get it. i love talking about political stuff on the cloak room board. i don't try to bring baseball into the football forum.

it's the strangest fucking thing.

Some people have nothing else they can discuss but politics .  Seems to be from the angry type crowd.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

How many olds remember Yeltsin and the others climbing on top of the tank?  Will we get that moment or a Romanian-style overthrow and execution, or will we get some shaky video taken by some fucknut who doesn't understand why you should always shoot video in landscape mode?

Edit: I know it's not quite comparable, since it was a coup d'etat attempt against Gorbachev, but for anybody curious, here's the timeline - shit escaped quickly:

Hopefully some good music as well.

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are definitely fucking with cops and getting ballsy

Also, saw some pretty good throws.  Hopefully David Pierce has some folks looking at tape and can get some scouts down there.

That is a lot different than the usual throw with your shoulder and arm while the rock takes a slow high arch to the target you usually see from protestors.

Some of these guys looked like they were trying to throw someone out and that is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

That is a lot different than the usual throw with your shoulder and arm while the rock takes a slow high arch to the target you usually see from protestors.

Some of these guys looked like they were trying to throw someone out and that is awesome.

Like I said, UT Baseball needs to be down there making offers.  There were at least 3-4 that were definitely getting close to putting rocks through the side windows, if they weren't in fact doing so.

And hey, put a MLB team in Havana while we are at it.  The local talent alone would be awesome to see.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the protests are in 5 known cities and counting, we very well could get the Romanian scenario.

Some analyst (wrote a book on the fall the Soviets/Eastern Europe, forgot the name), said today was crucial - if the government couldn't snuff out the protests today, and it expanded, then we are getting into the territory BabaYaga is talking about.  He said it could accelerate much faster simply because of social media - the old guard in Europe was actually able to keep a lot more people in other cities in the dark (Ceaușescu fucked up with one of his speeches being broadcast nationwide, allowing other cities to realize what was going on).

I remember having to watch the Soviet Union/Berlin Wall on cable news, with no way to get anything past what they had on TV.  This is kind of wild.

Those were heady days. I spent the 1989-1990 school year in France and the coverage of the various Soviet satellites falling one-by-one that fall into winter was nonstop. The town where I was going to school had a sister-city relationship with one in West Germany near Cologne/Bonn called Waldbrol. During the break between Christmas and New Years, the school sent about 40-50 of us on a pre-planned trip to stay with some German families there.

By that time, the Berlin Wall had fallen and all the German teenagers we were hanging out with were ready to party, so we set up on top of a retention wall at the top of a ridge (originally built by the Nazis to form the foundation for a planned Hitler Youth school) overlooking the town and got fucking wasted on champagne and beer. Me, an 18-year-old from a small West Texas town hanging out with a bunch of French and German kids, and being feted by a bunch of appreciative Europeans merely for the fact that I was an American, whose only contribution to winning the Cold War was watching Red Dawn about a half-dozen times. I think the first German phrase I learned (and actually used countless times probably to an annoying degree) was Gutes Neues Jahr!

And, yes, I got laid that night by a cute, little brunette Fraulein and learned that German can actually sound a little sexy when whispered in your ear...but I digress.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This photo would be so much cooler w/this guy in it...

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a description of that wall from Wiki:

"The Wall: (aka "the Hitler Wall"), a remnant of Robert Ley's megalomaniacal projects during the Nazi era, offering an panoramic view of Waldbröl and a magnificent distant view over the landscape of upper Berg county. It was a part of the projected Adolf Hitler School. In the early 1980s, unknowns painted the slogan "No more war!" in huge letters upon the wall. Recently the wall got a complete overhaul and the slogan was re-painted. The wall is now officially approved as a "Monument To Peace".

Reads: "No More War!"

I somehow remember a lot more graffiti on back then though.

I asked a Cuban at the office for his thoughts and he said what's surprising to him is that protests also happening in small towns where everyone knows each other so everyone knows who is out protesting (including the secret police).  No anonymity that you might get in the larger cities... 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grimas said:

I asked a Cuban at the office for his thoughts and he said what's surprising to him is that protests also happening in small towns where everyone knows each other so everyone knows who is out protesting (including the secret police).  No anonymity that you might get in the larger cities... 

God damn. Those magnificent tits.

Hope the people don't give up!! The members of my gf family who are stuck in and participated in the Venezuela protests have not done well after. 1 left to Bolivia and 1 is in Peru after they got threats that they were being looked for. Takes a big ol pair of nuts to do this shit in these countries

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

If you could explain the difference between "politics" and "not politics" that would be great.

It's a thread advocating meddling and regime change for the purpose enriching US corporation. Can you tell me how that is not "political" when my first post here is?

How do I block your posts?

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, that is not Cuba. Hope it becomes like that though. 

This looks like the Cuban Capitol.  If that was taken this evening, that's a fuckload of people and nobody trying to drive them away.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How do I block your posts?

Hover your cursor over the avatar, wait for the pop-up, click ignore user. You're welcome.

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That's awesome and all, but does the Cuban military let them enter their waters, land on shore, and distribute the aid? I fucking hope so but have my doubts.

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Hover your cursor over the avatar, wait for the pop-up, click ignore user. You're welcome.

That's awesome and all, but does the Cuban military let them enter their waters, land on shore, and distribute the aid? I fucking hope so but have my doubts.

As long as they don't use the Bay of Pigs it should be cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Hurricane gonna come up and push them to the Bahamas. 

Just now, bad_teammate said:

I welcome conversation without people crying to the moderators to silence dissenting opinions about politics.

IT'S NOT A THREAD IN CR SO PLEASE STFU. If that's a problem just stop posting in this thread unless you can discuss the situation without making it a political rant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1