Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

25 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, hard to stop something like this when the people are this pissed. I hope the people are able to win this damn thing. Don't know how the regime survives this type of anger. 

Massive repression, mollifying concessions, or complete capitulation are pretty much the only options. I don't know how strong the genuine support for the regime is, but that'll determine which door they walk through.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Massive repression, mollifying concessions, or complete capitulation are pretty much the only options. I don't know how strong the genuine support for the regime is, but that'll determine which door they walk through.

Also how well they have hidden their dollars and gold. 

Yes I am pretty sure most of us understand this. It sucks that it was the case and I for one am a lazy fuck that says hell yea handle your shit Cuban people when this happens while eating tacos and watching the home run derby. Hell I played baseball in Puerto Rico and saw crazy poverty while drinking and hollering at chicks  cause I didn't care about anything else. Was I an asshole for not recognizing what I was seeing in 2008? I definitely was and I was also a shitty baseball player compared to them. Your post and mine don't matter shit in this situation. Good on these people for doing this, I only hope it works out in their favor cause the alternative is probably not great. 
/csb while high

Pics of chicks not loading
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

The Venezuelans will probably chill in Cuba and try not to go back

Come to think of it, this has the potential to be the most chill and beautiful revolution ever. Just imagine all the protestors bouncing down the streets in rhythm to Buena Vista Social Club. The cops couldn't help but join the protestors in some awesome street party.

Edit: When I first got this album back in the 1990s, it changed everything I thought I ever knew about Cuba and immediately fell in love with the country.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Civilians starting to put out lists of their missing loved ones.

I count 114 names. I thought maybe you posted it was estimated at 80 earlier. I’m sure it’s not an exhaustive list though. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I count 114 names. I thought maybe you posted it was estimated at 80 earlier. I’m sure it’s not an exhaustive list though. 

Yeah, it was estimated at 80 earlier, but I wondered if it was missing a 0 or two.

As I said though, civilians are starting to step up and protect one another more and more.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Come to think of it, this has the potential to be the most chill and beautiful revolution ever. Just imagine all the protestors bouncing down the streets in rhythm to Buena Vista Social Club. The cops couldn't help but join the protestors in some awesome street party.

Edit: When I first got this album back in the 1990s, it changed everything I thought I ever knew about Cuba and immediately fell in love with the country.

That group did so much for the American view of Cuba. I saw them on tour it was a great great show. Have this in vinyl. Fantastic listen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, twosheds said:

1b58b058b231955091c49deb28dc88b2.jpg

How do I link an article. Maybe I am old.

“The day the shit went down at the Randall’s”  best part is at the 2:00 mark if you aren’t up for a full song.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, troph said:

That group did so much for the American view of Cuba. I saw them on tour it was a great great show. Have this in vinyl. Fantastic listen. 

Yep, prior to that album, pretty much the only images I had in my head I had about Cuba were:

17044883352_f0d18d7142_c.jpg

Red-Dawn-e1418674666315.png

scarface.jpg?fit=1680,1050

MarielBoatlift.jpg

Cuban-Car-1-1024x684.jpg

Then, I heard the music.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Say what you want about communism, but...

"You know who used to put out readable translations? The East Bloc, that’s who! I stand in awe of the East German Eugen Onegin. Drafted decades before under the forbidding regime of the Wilhelminian Empire, polished by trained Marxist-Leninists, its sparkling verse blends the wit and power of Byron with the grace of Heine. The charm of the GDR Platonov, the eloquence of the GDR Tolstoy . . . There’s simply no comparison with, say, the bumbling of the UK Flaubert, whose characters pursue “romantic assignments” because the translator doesn’t know assignations are a thing.

The GDR seated unwitting dissidents on gamma ray sources that gave them cancer, but its translations were brilliant. Coincidence? I think not. Under communism, an ex-Soviet friend explained to me, the best writers couldn’t publish their own stuff, so they translated and edited to survive. Imagine if the Confederacy had won and Paul Beatty had to get work translating Paulo Coelho. That’s what it was like.

There’s no compromise between getting it wrong and never trying in the first place. In this way it resembles all worthwhile endeavors—peace, justice, conservation, et cetera. You can approach it with a mix of laziness and demoralization, get ugly results, and still be doing the right thing."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

Often confused/muddled by some people with the Kitchen debates between Khrushchev and Nixon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Debate

13 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

How do you get anything into a country locking down by the very regime everyone wants out?  Martial law is going to lock the entire island down.  This is going to be dicey and I think a lot of these protestors are going to "disappear" by the thousands.  This may be more akin to Bosnia and Herzegovina as the atrocities are going to mount.  

Food and medicine are fine and needed, but is about decades of abuse and oppression.  You'll just helping get them to half-time and refuel.  What happens when bullets start flying?  In Berlin we had a base of operations.  Outside of Gitmo, that luxury isn't there?  Just random airdrops?  How is it distrubuted?  

Trebuchets.

On the one hand, if Venezuela tries to send troops to Cuba it wouldn't terribly hurt my feelings if we parked an aircraft carrier or destroyer off the coast in international waters and just sort of prevented them from making landfall, but on the other hand, most of those soldiers are probably stuck in just as crappy a situation as the Cubans. Maybe we should just sit back and hope that if Venezuela sends troops over it just causes the revolutionary fever to spread to the mainland.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Sandman said:

Honest question: If this would work, why hasn't the US government dropped this level of aid on Detroit or West Virginia? Do we think the local authorities are any less corrupt than foreign ones?

Corruption... just like Puerto Rico. It is massive whether naive Americans want to hear it or not. Same in Austin as Boston & Louisiana.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

They are reaching a point of no return -- either risk dying attempting to overthrow the government or end up on a list and die later.

I told a friend this last night.  It’s pretty much go time now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Trebuchets.

On the one hand, if Venezuela tries to send troops to Cuba it wouldn't terribly hurt my feelings if we parked an aircraft carrier or destroyer off the coast in international waters and just sort of prevented them from making landfall, but on the other hand, most of those soldiers are probably stuck in just as crappy a situation as the Cubans. Maybe we should just sit back and hope that if Venezuela sends troops over it just causes the revolutionary fever to spread to the mainland.

And Let Colombia move east. 

My dad and uncle got to go to Cuba when they were kids. The whole family loaded up a car in West U, drove to Miami, got on an ocean liner, and hit the Bahamas and Havana, like three months before it caved in. Dad said it was tense as fuck -- machine gun nests on street corners, armored personnel carriers rumbling around...while they went to go see the jai alai at El Fronton Grande or whatever. (My grandfather was a big handball player so this was like a pilgrimage to Wembley or some shit.)

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57813704

In a four-hour-long televised address President Miguel Díaz-Canel slammed protestors as "counter-revolutionaries" while his foreign minister alleged the demonstrations had been financed and instigated by the United States.

4 hour speech on TV?  That’s a lot of insecurity and grievances being aired.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I know a lot of people are comparing this to the end of the dictatorship in Romania. East Germany was quickly heading that way, too. 

Unfortunately, most of Ceausescu's cronies ended up in the government that followed the dictatorship. Without a clear path defining what's next, that's what is likely with Cuba. Contrast it with the eventual reunification of Germany. It helped that the Kremlin wanted no violence.

40 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My dad and uncle got to go to Cuba when they were kids. The whole family loaded up a car in West U, drove to Miami, got on an ocean liner, and hit the Bahamas and Havana, like three months before it caved in. Dad said it was tense as fuck -- machine gun nests on street corners, armored personnel carriers rumbling around...while they went to go see the jai alai at El Fronton Grande or whatever. (My grandfather was a big handball player so this was like a pilgrimage to Wembley or some shit.)

Just like in Godfather

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Trebuchets.

I'm sure that this is fake news, but if it isn't... The US should disarm the Venezuelan military and then have them continue on to Cuba.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Financed, and instigated by the US you say ?  Where do I send my check for financing, and instigation services....  Sorry BT, I just love me some instigation, and FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM !!!!!!

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think it would put a serious kink in their revenue. Let's see. Cuba, beaches, tropical location, same gambling experience, same shows, 1 hour away, golf year round  or Vegas 3-6 hours away, hot as shit, in the middle of nowhere still.  It's Vegas, and they do it well,  but it would be a huge competitor for them in this hemisphere.

I think Atlantic City would be the real loser.  Las Vegas will be okay.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Counter-revolutionaries.    Lulz

in a few days I hope we hear those immortal words of Jeffrey Lebowski, the other Jeffrey Lebowski…”Your revolution is over,  Mr.  Canel.  Condolences.  The bums lost.   My advice is to do what your parents did; grab the end of a rope with your head, sir” 

38 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Would it be too meddlesome to just set up a military blockade around the island and only let trade and aid through? Make our policy to let the Cubans determine their own direction and anybody who tries to interfere gets to fafo? Or would that make our spooks too giddy to not try and interfere?

by definition a blockade is an act of war.    which is why Kennedy called it a quarantine.

and we basically as a country have to steer as far away as possible from any implication we have anything to do with this

even if we dont do anything, we are still going to be blamed as having been the genesis of this particular uprising.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

by definition a blockade is an act of war.    which is why Kennedy called it a quarantine.

and we basically as a country have to steer as far away as possible from any implication we have anything to do with this

even if we dont do anything, we are still going to be blamed as having been the genesis of this particular uprising.

And we should care because ?  Our blockade of Cuba for better, and worse is part of the reason we're here at this point in history.  Hope this isn't veering too much into CR if so I'll take it down.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

There needs to be an international coalition of nations who's actions are predicated on bringing in relief aid and supplies.  As mentioned earlier, let the LA countries take the lead.