Barstool Pizza Reviews

Rip76

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

He's been in my area lately for the races at Saratoga, he's hit up several that we've been to always fun to see his thoughts/rating of them. 

He’s very particular about what he likes..   I trust his option on the basic style he likes but he never does any pizza’s with toppings or thick crust.  

I've only seen him do cheese since that's a pretty basic pie, he seems to favor the New Haven style which is pretty good(Pepe's & Sally's). Watched one recently where I got the impression he didn't like the pizza all that much but loved the owner so he gave them a 7+ rating. 

I can understand thinking Dave is a prick but I don't understand complaining about him hurting small businesses. Unless you know your pizza sucks.

Haha yep. Ones the cheese starts sliding and pizza flops…

Owner is lucky he didn’t show his ass before the very generous 6.4, or else we could’ve seen our first negative score. Dave would pay the owner not to eat his pizza

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha yep. Ones the cheese starts sliding and pizza flops…

Owner is lucky he didn’t show his ass before the very generous 6.4, or else we could’ve seen our first negative score. Dave would pay the owner not to eat his pizza

Surprised he didn’t throw a business insider reference in there 

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Their Yelp reviews... yeah not great Bob.  Not sure what the owner thought he was doing, going after Pres like that, and in especially in the Boston area.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dragon-pizza-somervill

you realize their yelp review is that low because all the barstool fanbois neg bombed their page, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

When Charlie Redd opened Dragon Pizza in Somerville, MA, in 2018, his mission was to make pizza with “local ingredients and craftsmanship.” What he did not intend to do is put himself at the center of a media firestorm. But that’s exactly where he’s landed after a video of a profanity-laden back and forth with Dave Portnoy went viral last week.

Portnoy, who founded and runs Barstool Sports, a network of blogs covering a mix of sports and testosterone-laced internet gossip, has a history of making and defending racist and misogynistic comments. He’s also perhaps the most prominent pizza critic in America: His recurring YouTube series, One Bite Pizza Reviews, in which he reviews pizza shops based on—you guessed it—a single bite of their pizza, has close to a million subscribers. His stringent, often boisterous reviews can determine the future of a pizzeria, and he frequently features celebrity guests.

In the review of Dragon Pizza, posted on Aug. 31, everything seems to be proceeding as usual: Portnoy stands on the sidewalk outside Dragon Pizza then takes a bite. He rates it a 6.4 out of 10—a relatively low score for Portnoy. The video then shows Redd approaching Portnoy outside the shop. “Dave, enjoy your pizza as any customer,” he says, “but I don’t appreciate what you do judging a business with one bite.”

Redd goes back inside, only to pop his head out again a few seconds later. “Let me be clear: move on. Don’t stand in front of my business,” he said  

“Let me be clear: f*#% you,” Portnoy replies. The two go back and forth, hurling insults and curses until Redd goes back inside. Redd later took to Instagram to post some choice words: “F@$K you and the Stool you came in on, Dave Douchebag.” Portnoy’s video on the One Bite channel has more than 800,000 views, and reposts of the video across the internet have racked up millions more.

A few days later, Portnoy appeared on Tucker Carlson’s show on Twitter, where the two spent ten minutes discussing the incident. Portnoy seemed excited at the prospect of Carlson’s audience joining his cause. “When you throw the first punch I want to bury you,” Portnoy says. “I knew I was coming on this show, and I knew your crowd, like my crowd, would be like ‘f*#% that guy.’” Since the interview, a flood of 1-star reviews has appeared on Dragon Pizza’s Yelp page, tanking its rating. (The page is currently under moderation, as Yelp evaluates the spree of negative reviews). A paper plate taped to the window of the shop reads, “We are not talking about it. Orders only.”

In an interview with Bon Appétit, Redd discussed how he experienced the altercation with Portnoy, his response to the national media attention, and the highs and lows of running a small business.

This interview has been lightly edited for clarity and concision

How do you feel about restaurant critics, broadly?

I love restaurant critics! Restaurant critics play a very important part in showing the public good restaurants and bad restaurants. But there's professionalism to it that Dave Portnoy does not follow and never has.

What did you know about Dave Portnoy and Barstool before he came into your shop?

That he’s a f*#%ing a*****e. You can quote me on that.

Do Portnoy's politics shape the way you think of him?

I don't care about his politics. I don't care about anybody's politics. People are people. They have their opinions. Politics is not something that I care about for anybody unless they hold office.

So you’ve never had issues with critics in the past?

No, they’re a person just like anybody else. They have an opinion. Their job is to write about it. You come into my restaurant, you eat the food, and if you don't like it and you write about it, that’s okay. I'm in the “making people happy” business, and critics are in that same place. But I don't paint a special picture for a critic. If they're gonna come in, they're gonna get the same experience that anybody else does.

What Dave does is different. What Dave does is all about him. It's not about pizza. It's not about how it tastes. It's about him promoting himself. And that's not a critic. That's an entertainer. That is the main philosophical difference that I have with Dave Portnoy.

How do you determine if a review is fair or not?

To come into a pizza restaurant and eat one bite of one slice of cheese is unfair, unprofessional, and it's just not right to the business owners. It's not right to critique them on such a shallow level. That's what I told Dave, and that's why we got into that fundamental argument.

When did you decide that you wanted to say something to Portnoy about his reviews?

The day I opened the pizza shop. I had no idea who he was until I opened a pizza shop and people told me “Oh, you should call this guy.” And because of all the reasons I just laid out to you, I said, “I'll never call this guy.” The first week of business I was ready to throw him out.

What were you hoping to accomplish by posting about the argument online?

I know he's going to post about it. (Editor’s note: Portnoy has posted about the confrontation multiple times since this interview—he’s even selling multiple t-shirts.) So I wanted to form an argument against it, and that's what I did.

After Portnoy’s interview with Tucker Carlson have there been any incidents? Any pushback from their fans?

What happened on Instagram was a blip. What happened [on Tucker Carlson’s show] is the meat on the bone. Am I scared? Of course. I have everything in my life invested in this shop. [This business supports] five adults, their spouses and partners, and 12 children. And all of a sudden I'm caught in a media typhoon. That is not my comfort zone. I can't even pick up my phone because of the Portnoy and Carlton supporters who are motivated to try to shut down my shop. We're getting fake orders for massive amounts of pizza every hour. Everything has to be prepaid now, whereas before, we had a good honest business where you called, you gave me your name, and I made your pizza.

Now we're having to take security measures that we've never taken before. I'm getting threats to my shop. I've got somebody calling me on my personal cell phone. I'm worried about my children.

I run a pizza shop, and I've got a bunch of people that are trying to put my pizza shop out of business. And then there are people trying to carry my pizza shop through this with their support, their kind words, and love.

How has your community reacted to the situation?

People love our food. They like what we do here. It's a great community, and that's all there is to it. I love this business because we’ve got kids coming in and I had a bunch of retirees coming in saying, “Go get him, Charlie.” It ain't about politics. It's because they like the

pizza.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:26 PM, Dutch said:

Their Yelp reviews... yeah not great Bob.  Not sure what the owner thought he was doing, going after Pres like that, and in especially in the Boston area.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dragon-pizza-somervill

Actually this guy has been sold out a lot the last few because of this.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/dragon-pizza-barstool-portnoy-feud-update/3129206/

I'm thinking about ordering from this place just to try it out, because fuck Portnoy.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Portnoy's a tool, but that didn't happen.

That's not right.  Portnoy knew going on fucking Tucker Carlson's Twitter shit show and talking about the incident would result in harassment.

Portnoy's a supreme asshole, and he levels up to being a dangerous asshole with shit like that. 

28 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Portnoy's a tool, but that didn't happen.

He doesn't have to tell them to hassle the guy. His following will do it just because, for the lulz. And Portnoy can claim "I didn't do shit" because he didn't literally say something. He knows what will happen when he posts this.

Dude has gotten death threats:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/somerville-pizza-shop-owner-says-hes-received-death-threats-over-feud-with-barstools-dave-portnoy/3127615/

Edited by Captain Ron

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wasn't the douchebag owner the one that started it? Should he have known what was going to happen when he talked shit on camera to a guy with a billion social media followers?

I'm amazed anyone cares about any of this. 

The owner was acting like a bitch. Portnoy was handing out money to local small businesses during the pandemic. He is a giant douchebag, but you are a dumbass if you come at him with "you are hurting small business". 

• Hook 'Em 1

Portnoy walked in and walked out of his business with a pizza. Owner definitely knew what he’s there for and still made him a pizza. He looks like a tool with his shmedium Star Wars shirt, fucking dorks man.

Dave gave him a generous score because that pizza looked like shit on the eye test. Fuck the owner. He can get fucked for telling someone to move off a public sidewalk. “MaYbE I WaSnT cLeAr EnOugH” fuck outta here.

If anything he should be thanking portnoy or else he wouldn’t have sold out these last few days giving him the best profit days. Part of me thinks this was part of his strategy because there’s plenty of portnoy haters

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dave gave him a generous score because that pizza looked like shit on the eye test.

His score was harsh, but when you saw the pie and the flop you knew it was going to get hammered with his scoring system. Don't fucking undercook a pizza if you are trying to get a score with him. 

His score was harsh, but when you saw the pie and the flop you knew it was going to get hammered with his scoring system. Don't fucking undercook a pizza if you are trying to get a score with him. 

It was very generous. Owners lucky he had scored it before he got all pissy. It would’ve been a negative score, and portnoy would’ve paid him to not eat his pizza

• 2 weeks later...

Fell into this black hole out of boredom the other day. Interesting character who happens to interview multitudes of interesting characters during his reviews.

Only genuine takeaway I have is: seems like one can't walk a block without passing a good to great or even spectacular pizzeria on the East Coast. The stuff Dave hands a 6.4 out to would be a 9.9 here in Idaho. Same goes for cheesesteaks, subs, roast beefs, knishes ... fahgeddaboudit.

The Gem State has a great deal many things going for it, but a food utopia it is not. Everybody knows the rules.

On 9/21/2023 at 1:51 PM, texasdago said:

Portnoy is a total a-hole and I am not surprised by his popularity.  Not when guys like Andrew Tate are popular.  Go watch Portnoy and Tate fanbois hash it out.  Its two masses of d-bags d-bagging it out.

Tate is a lot worse in my book. Portnoy is just a classic Masshole with a huge platform and zero filter. Tate is a megalomaniac criminal that promotes all kinds of horrible shit. Portnoy is easy enough to ignore, Tate should be straight up deplatformed if not in prison. 

As for each of their "fanbois" I'm sure the venn overlap is fairly large and that most of them are douchebags. 

Maybe I'm underrating Dave being a piece of shit - I don't follow his stuff much - but I've never gotten that strong of a vibe from him.

• Hook 'Em 1

So in the washingtonposts article accusing him of, among other things, homophobia, this is their proof:
In 2016, he wrote that he was “#nohomo” for thinking former Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg was handsome.
Lol. 

This has been an entertaining saga. Fuck the Washington post

71a55cd3d6a217f2e544085ec12fe6ac.jpg

What Dave’s wearing at his fest

• 5 months later...

I honestly don't understand the New Haven style tomato pie. It's a pizza with a lot of sauce and no mozzarella. That sauce better be fucking amazing.

I don't think they're any on the west coast so I'll have to wait to go there to try one.