MMR vaccine discussion

Nonbryan

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Delta has already proven to make the Pfizer vaccine less effective, according to a study done in Israel.  And as we've seen with the rollout of these vaccines, it takes time to manufacture and distribute them.  I'd really rather not go through another round of lockdowns.  My business is finally thriving again.

It is less effective in regards to mild cases. There are no significant increases in mortality or hospitalizations.

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

In Britain where the delta has been around since May; Hospitalizations and deaths have not increased much at all despite higher cases.   IMO that tells me it's pretty damn effective.

It's still effective, but the Israeli study found that instead of 94% efficacy, it dropped to 64%.  Still good, but not as good as it was.  Still quite effective at preventing hospitalization as well.

The only reason I mention that is that we're only a few months into vaccinations.  It is still quite possible that another variant comes along that is worse and renders the vaccines less effective, or not effective at all (although I think this is far less likely).

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If you're unvaccinated and healthy, then you're a selfish asshole at minimum.  But it's all about you, right?

I got vaccinated as soon was it was available & followed the rules. Still will wear a mask if needed. Foh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It's still effective, but the Israeli study found that instead of 94% efficacy, it dropped to 64%.  Still good, but not as good as it was.  Still quite effective at preventing hospitalization as well.

The only reason I mention that is that we're only a few months into vaccinations.  It is still quite possible that another variant comes along that is worse and renders the vaccines less effective, or not effective at all (although I think this is far less likely).

I have this conversation with patient's consistently and try to get them to get vaccinated. It's a fool's errand in most cases.

That being said, the CoV virus does not have a strong ability to mutate/recombine. In order for a virus to effectively and quickly vaccinate it requires a reservoir to do this. For example, influenza every year comes from China. It's reservoir is Pigs, Chickens and Humans, all of which live closely together in China. It is quickly passed around the three species and every chicken or pig is killed at 1 year. So every year you have a new set of pigs and chickens without any immunity.

SARS-CoV-2 is known to infect humans and maybe bats, minks. These species don't live together, don't pass around the virus and all are developing immunity either through vaccination or infection.

End of the day, the vaccinations right now are bonkers good. My message to patients is that the Vaccination is available and effective. Those of us that have obtained it are in an excellent position. Those who have decided not to get it are simply taking a risk that they will be the unfortunate one that winds up in my ICU on a ventilator.

• Hook 'Em 6

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

There is no good reason for a healthy adult to not be vaccinated for COVID.  Zero.  None.  If they don't like mRNA, get J&J.  But not getting vaccinated is a stupid, selfish thing to do.

If you’ve had covid you don’t need to be vaccinated. 

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Like the flu shot, I expect to get annual Covid shots. Do the people who have anti bodies from prior exposure plan on getting an annual reinfection?

You don’t know what you’re talking about. See Mo’s post.  Also this. 

Along this line of thinking, more vax should be shipped overseas rather than hassling adults (or especially kids) that already had it. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I have this conversation with patient's consistently and try to get them to get vaccinated. It's a fool's errand in most cases.

That being said, the CoV virus does not have a strong ability to mutate/recombine. In order for a virus to effectively and quickly vaccinate it requires a reservoir to do this. For example, influenza every year comes from China. It's reservoir is Pigs, Chickens and Humans, all of which live closely together in China. It is quickly passed around the three species and every chicken or pig is killed at 1 year. So every year you have a new set of pigs and chickens without any immunity.

SARS-CoV-2 is known to infect humans and maybe bats, minks. These species don't live together, don't pass around the virus and all are developing immunity either through vaccination or infection.

End of the day, the vaccinations right now are bonkers good. My message to patients is that the Vaccination is available and effective. Those of us that have obtained it are in an excellent position. Those who have decided not to get it are simply taking a risk that they will be the unfortunate one that winds up in my ICU on a ventilator.

I keep seeing comments on social media from "pro-vax" (for lack of a better term) people who are so pro-vaccination they're spreading misinformation about its efficacy. "We still need to wear masks, etc., etc., because the vaccine isn't 100%, you can still spread/get Covid if you're vaccinated"

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

I keep seeing comments on social media from "pro-vax" (for lack of a better term) people who are so pro-vaccination they're spreading misinformation about its efficacy. "We still need to wear masks, etc., etc., because the vaccine isn't 100%, you can still spread/get Covid if you're vaccinated"

Get off of social media, imo.

Also a typo in my post above - In order for a virus to effectively and quickly vaccinate mutate.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Along this line of thinking, more vax should be shipped overseas rather than hassling adults (or especially kids) that already had it. 

I hope this is true, most of what I've read is that immunity will be 6-9 months, maybe a year. I guess we will wait & see.
I do agree with your point that the vaccines should go not to the booster shot being pushed by pharma, but to countries that need to get people vaxxed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, lmao said:

If Delta really is breaking through the vaccines as much as it seems, it’s pretty clear that almost everybody will still infected at some point if you haven’t already. The good news is for vaxxed people you may not even know  it and you’re very unlikely to get hospitalized or die. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

I hope this is true, most of what I've read is that immunity will be 6-9 months, maybe a year. I guess we will wait & see.
I do agree with your point that the vaccines should go not to the booster shot being pushed by pharma, but to countries that need to get people vaxxed.

Most of what you are reading is 6-9 months data into a vaccine that has been available for 6-9 months. There is no absolute way researchers can confirm ongoing immunity without reviewing data. There is not data from the future. However, the way immunity works, we should have it for 5 years based on how our immune system works.

I’ve had covid. I’m not getting vaxxed.

My spidey sense is tingling when I see how much natural immunity is downplayed or dismissed. Pharma stands to benefit greatly from potentially indefinitely mandated vaccines in millions of people that don’t need them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Like the flu, the virus mutates, sometimes significantly.  I've had the flu numerous times, and I am not immune to newer strains of it.  I fully expect Covid to mutate enough to require a booster every so often.  I got the Moderna vax, and so far my balls haven't fallen off and no 3rd arm has appeared (except for that baby arm in my pants)..  

Edited by Sbbruin

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Most of what you are reading is 6-9 months data into a vaccine that has been available for 6-9 months. There is no absolute way researchers can confirm ongoing immunity without reviewing data. There is not data from the future. However, the way immunity works, we should have it for 5 years based on how our immune system works.

so it is just a pharma money grab to get people to get an annual flu vaccine?
asking for a friend

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Like the flu, the virus mutates, sometimes significantly.  I've had the flu numerous times, and I am not immune to newer strains of it.  I fully expect Covid to mutate enough to require a booster every so often.  I got the Moderna vax, and so far my balls haven't fallen off and no 3rd arm has appeared (except for that baby arm in my pants)..  

I don't.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

see Mo’s post on the speed of mutation. We could be wrong, but it appears influenza mutates much faster than Covid. 

• Fuck You 1

so it is just a pharma money grab to get people to get an annual flu vaccine?
asking for a friend

There is no recommendation from anyone yet to get a booster. The vaccine companies are appropriately adjusting the vaccine through boosters to cover variants so if we need them they are available. I'm sure there is a business decision mixed in with this.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

My spidey sense is tingling when I see how much natural immunity is downplayed or dismissed. Pharma stands to benefit greatly from potentially indefinitely mandated vaccines in millions of people that don’t need them. 

Legit question - there has been some evidence that the vax is more protective across the board, whereas the natural post-infection immunity is more limited to the specific strain. I would agree it's not a lock this is the case. But let's say it's even 10% likely. Why would you risk the possibility of a strain that your infection immunity doesn't help with instead of taking 20 minutes and paying $0 and getting vaxxed? 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Pharma stands to benefit greatly from potentially indefinitely mandated vaccines in millions of people that don’t need them. 

We really need to stop this stupid narrative that big pharma is only in business to make profits at the expense of people.   There are certainly some bad behavior just like in big oil or big mattress.   Every time I talk to an anti-vax about this they whisper "follow the money" like it's some secret black ops kind of info that they found on the dark web despite the fact that the financials are out in the open for the whole world to read.   Vaccine manu's make relatively little on most vaccines,  Ever wonder why they created the vaccine fund?   Unless it's something ground breaking like covid.  Big pharma and big health would make billions and billions more if your ass was in the hospital.  Please stop with this bullshit.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Legit question - there has been some evidence that the vax is more protective across the board, whereas the natural post-infection immunity is more limited to the specific strain. I would agree it's not a lock this is the case. But let's say it's even 10% likely. Why would you risk the possibility of a strain that your infection immunity doesn't help with instead of taking 20 minutes and paying $0 and getting vaxxed? 

This was discussed on a CR thread but your first point is false. There have been studies in laboratory settings that suggest the vaccine could produce a slightly more robust antibody response. But the antibody response the vaccines produce is just one component of your body’s normal immune response.

To keep it very basic your body has a B cell mediated immunity and a T cell mediated immunity. Antibody production Is B cell mediated. Those studies don’t account for T cell mediated immunity and the vaccines don’t appear to meaningfully produce a response there. 

To your question, if I am to get re-infected the infection is likely to be less severe than my initial case which wasn’t bad. Just as vaccinated people are getting infected, but it’s tempered by the vaccine. I don’t typically put things in my body I don’t need. That’s it. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

We really need to stop this stupid narrative that big pharma is only in business to make profits at the expense of people.   There are certainly some bad behavior just like in big oil or big mattress.   Every time I talk to an anti-vax about this they whisper "follow the money" like it's some secret black ops kind of info that they found on the dark web despite the fact that the financials are out in the open for the whole world to read.   Vaccine manu's make relatively little on most vaccines,  Ever wonder why they created the vaccine fund?   Unless it's something ground breaking like covid.  Big pharma and big health would make billions and billions more if your ass was in the hospital.  Please stop with this bullshit.

You’re right we can look at the financials. In Q1 Pfizer’s revenue was $14.6B. That was up 44% YoY from $10.1B. Net income increased 45% from 3.35B to 4.88B. EPS increased from $0.60 to $0.86. The vast majority of those increases are directly attributable to their covid vaccine. $3.46B in sales in the first quarter. “Relatively little”.

I’m glad these companies did the work and produced these vaccines. They deserve to be rewarded. But I’m not so naive to think that maintaining some of these revenues could be important to the company or its executives. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

The vast majority of those increases are directly attributable to their covid vaccine

I said.  "unless it's something groundbreaking like covid" other wise it's not even profitable to make vaccines at all when you look at the financials.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I said.  "unless it's something groundbreaking like covid" other wise it's not even profitable to make vaccines at all when you look at the financials.

Do you expect the covid vaccine to become less profitable over time? 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Agreed, I just don't understand the fuck you, mah freedoms crowd.  We can knock this shit out if enough people get vaxxed.

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Stupid people are stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Here's an article from NIH (not a pharma company) that says vaccine immunity is much better than immunity from infection.  In other words, with just infection immunity, you're much more likely to get sick from a different strain of COVID than if you're vaccinated.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/06/22/how-immunity-generated-from-covid-19-vaccines-differs-from-an-infection/

By closely examining the results, the researchers uncovered important differences between acquired immunity in people who’d been vaccinated and unvaccinated people who’d been previously infected with SARS-CoV-2. Specifically, antibodies elicited by the mRNA vaccine were more focused to the RBD compared to antibodies elicited by an infection, which more often targeted other portions of the spike protein. Importantly, the vaccine-elicited antibodies targeted a broader range of places on the RBD than those elicited by natural infection.

These findings suggest that natural immunity and vaccine-generated immunity to SARS-CoV-2 will differ in how they recognize new viral variants. What’s more, antibodies acquired with the help of a vaccine may be more likely to target new SARS-CoV-2 variants potently, even when the variants carry new mutations in the RBD.

It’s not entirely clear why these differences in vaccine- and infection-elicited antibody responses exist. In both cases, RBD-directed antibodies are acquired from the immune system’s recognition and response to viral spike proteins. The Seattle team suggests these differences may arise because the vaccine presents the viral protein in slightly different conformations.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

My guess is that he never had any intention of getting vaxxed under any circumstance.  If he had not already contracted it, his argument would be "Well, I haven't gotten it yet, I'm not going to worry about it now".

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Here's an article from NIH (not a pharma company) that says vaccine immunity is much better than immunity from infection.  In other words, with just infection immunity, you're much more likely to get sick from a different strain of COVID than if you're vaccinated.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/06/22/how-immunity-generated-from-covid-19-vaccines-differs-from-an-infection/

By closely examining the results, the researchers uncovered important differences between acquired immunity in people who’d been vaccinated and unvaccinated people who’d been previously infected with SARS-CoV-2. Specifically, antibodies elicited by the mRNA vaccine were more focused to the RBD compared to antibodies elicited by an infection, which more often targeted other portions of the spike protein. Importantly, the vaccine-elicited antibodies targeted a broader range of places on the RBD than those elicited by natural infection.

These findings suggest that natural immunity and vaccine-generated immunity to SARS-CoV-2 will differ in how they recognize new viral variants. What’s more, antibodies acquired with the help of a vaccine may be more likely to target new SARS-CoV-2 variants potently, even when the variants carry new mutations in the RBD.

It’s not entirely clear why these differences in vaccine- and infection-elicited antibody responses exist. In both cases, RBD-directed antibodies are acquired from the immune system’s recognition and response to viral spike proteins. The Seattle team suggests these differences may arise because the vaccine presents the viral protein in slightly different conformations.

I already addressed this lab study in a previous post. 

• Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You’re right we can look at the financials. In Q1 Pfizer’s revenue was $14.6B. That was up 44% YoY from $10.1B. Net income increased 45% from 3.35B to 4.88B. EPS increased from $0.60 to $0.86. The vast majority of those increases are directly attributable to their covid vaccine. $3.46B in sales in the first quarter. “Relatively little”.

I’m glad these companies did the work and produced these vaccines. They deserve to be rewarded. But I’m not so naive to think that maintaining some of these revenues could be important to the company or its executives. 

Two separate issues in my mind. The profit-mongering is gross for something that should be viewed as a public good. But at least its free to us normies. But the vaccines also work and can get us to herd immunity if people will just take the damn shot. To me the profit stuff is part of a much larger CR discussion. It doesn't lead to a "follow the money" conspiracy to avoid taking the shot.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And what, you don't believe it?

I believe that vaccine could provide better antibody response, but that is only part of the body’s immune response. The T cell side is important to viral immunity and the vaccine doesn’t affect that. This it is quite likely that natural immunity is superior.

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Stupid people are stupid. 

I have a feeling you are going to be proven wrong.

There will be more data coming out of Israel, but this tweet is from a verified Israeli Public Broadcasting account. I checked and the person to whom the quote is attributed matches up. 

Translated 

Director of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Sheba Hospital Prof. Galia Rahav to ⁧‫#דקלוינסון‬⁩ On the spread of the corona: "Almost no recoverers are seen to be infected again compared to those who are vaccinated because they are infected. Immunity as a result of a disease is probably much more effective than a vaccine - and we already know this from other diseases."

More info to verify Dr. Rahav

https://www.shebaonline.org/two-sheba-doctors-receive-honorary-prestigious-awards/

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

I believe that vaccine could provide better antibody response, but that is only part of the body’s immune response. The T cell side is important to viral immunity and the vaccine doesn’t affect that. This it is quite likely that natural immunity is superior.

I have a feeling you are going to be proven wrong.

There will be more data coming out of Israel, but this tweet is from a verified Israeli Public Broadcasting account. I checked and the person to whom the quote is attributed matches up. 

Translated 

Director of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Sheba Hospital Prof. Galia Rahav to ⁧‫#דקלוינסון‬⁩ On the spread of the corona: "Almost no recoverers are seen to be infected again compared to those who are vaccinated because they are infected. Immunity as a result of a disease is probably much more effective than a vaccine - and we already know this from other diseases."

More info to verify Dr. Rahav

https://www.shebaonline.org/two-sheba-doctors-receive-honorary-prestigious-awards/

Are you a vaccine researcher or immunologist, or do you just scour the internet for information that jives with your confirmation bias?

I love it.  You completely ignore a study from NIH because you disagree with their conclusions, but a tweet from an Israeli that you agree with?  That shit is gold, Jerry.  Gold!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Are you a vaccine researcher or immunologist, or do you just scour the internet for information that jives with your confirmation bias?

I love it.  You completely ignore a study from NIH because you disagree with their conclusions, but a tweet from an Israeli that you agree with?  That shit is gold, Jerry.  Gold!

I’m bored at my job in health care field and I’ve been following it. You cited a limited laboratory study. I cited an expert that is in a sense witnessing clinical trials in their country. 

Of course it’s just one person, but Israel was quickest with the vaccinations so they will likely be a leader with this info. I look forward to the more complete data to come. I suspect it will show natural immunity superior to vaccination. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It also fails to answer the question of “why not?”. There’s just not a real reason for not getting the vaccine even if you have had covid. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

weapons grade irony right there.....

Let's see the Israeli study that says what the tweet says.  Because right now all we have is the tweet.  

I'm all for science based information, not Facebook 'research'.  

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

It also fails to answer the question of “why not?”. There’s just not a real reason for not getting the vaccine even if you have had covid. 

Selfish assholes gonna selfish asshole.   That's really the only reason.  They'll give you a laundry list of supposed legitimate reasons why not, but it boils down to the fact that they're selfish and they don't want to.

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Selfish assholes gonna selfish asshole.   That's really the only reason.  They'll give you a laundry list of supposed legitimate reasons why not, but it boils down to the fact that they're selfish and they don't want to.

Because I don’t want to feel like shit for minimal if any benefit? Or risk any of these rare side effects? 

My immunity is likely better than yours. Im good to go. I don’t need want to experience any side effects. If that makes me selfish, I guess call me selfish. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

Because I don’t want to feel like shit for minimal if any benefit? Or risk any of these rare side effects? 

My immunity is likely better than yours. Im good to go. I don’t need want to experience any side effects. If that makes me selfish, I guess call me selfish. 

I posted a study that says you're wrong.  But you'll just go find a tweet that (maybe) contradicts it to support your position.

I had zero side effects from either Moderna dose, other than a sore arm.  Quit making excuses and just own it.  You don't want to, so you're not going to do it.  Selfish asshole gonna selfish asshole.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I posted a study that says you're wrong.  But you'll just go find a tweet that (maybe) contradicts it to support your position.

I had zero side effects from either Moderna dose, other than a sore arm.  Quit making excuses and just own it.  You don't want to, so you're not going to do it.  Selfish asshole gonna selfish asshole.

You don’t understand scientific evidence. There’s different types and levels of evidence. I’ll take the word of an Israeli Fauci-type over a lab study. I’ve found this doc quoted in Times of Israel etc. She’s legit and her saying that is significant. The language barrier makes it seem weird. I get that. Data will come. 

As far as who’s selfish or not, I’d argue it’s selfish for us to use doses of vaccine on people who have recovered rather than sending them out into the world. There’s a much bigger benefit sending them to Brazil or Africa or whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Right, so all the other supposed reasons were just bullshit. Why didn’t you just say at the beginning that you are worried about feeling a little crummy for less than a day and that’s why you refuse to get a vaccine. You know what you’re saying is stupid, selfish, bitchmade, take your pick. Otherwise you would have just gotten to the real reason right away and not have to be prodded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Right, so all the other supposed reasons were just bullshit. Why didn’t you just say at the beginning that you are worried about feeling a little crummy for less than a day and that’s why you refuse to get a vaccine. You know what you’re saying is stupid, selfish, bitchmade, take your pick. Otherwise you would have just gotten to the real reason right away and not have to be prodded.

You mad? 

There’s minimal, if any, benefit for me. And only risks, though rare.

Why are y’all so upset? The vaccines are great. You should get them if you haven’t gotten covid already. If you have gotten covid, you don’t need the vaccine. That’s it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

You mad? 

There’s minimal, if any, benefit for me. And only risks, though rare.

Why are y’all so upset? The vaccines are great. You should get them if you haven’t gotten covid already. If you have gotten covid, you don’t need the vaccine. That’s it.  

Do I seen mad or are your feelings hurt?

Yea except that’s not it at all