MMR vaccine discussion

Nonbryan

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I wasn't gung ho about getting the vaccine until I learned my antibodies were no longer detectable. I also felt really shitty for 24 hours or so after the first shot and maybe half that on the second.

If I remember right, you unfortunately still have lingering effects? If that were my case I would definitely lean toward getting vaxxed on top of the natural immunity as well. Everybody’s situation is different that has had it. 

• Fuck You 2

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6549/1392?

Immunity to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is a vital issue for global society. Determining the quality and duration of that immunity is therefore key. But the adaptive immune system is complex, and these factors may differ between natural immunity (obtained by infection) and vaccine-generated immunity (1). Additionally, there is the question of the combination: What kind of immunity develops in people with natural immunity who are subsequently vaccinated? Such “hybrid immunity” is particularly interesting because of the notable finding that people with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection mount unusually potent immune responses to COVID-19 vaccines (2). This is exemplified in two studies in this issue on pages 1413 and 1418 by Stamatatos et al. (3) and Reynolds et al. (4), respectively, which also highlight natural and vaccine-induced immune responses to variants.

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6549/1392?

Immunity to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is a vital issue for global society. Determining the quality and duration of that immunity is therefore key. But the adaptive immune system is complex, and these factors may differ between natural immunity (obtained by infection) and vaccine-generated immunity (1). Additionally, there is the question of the combination: What kind of immunity develops in people with natural immunity who are subsequently vaccinated? Such “hybrid immunity” is particularly interesting because of the notable finding that people with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection mount unusually potent immune responses to COVID-19 vaccines (2). This is exemplified in two studies in this issue on pages 1413 and 1418 by Stamatatos et al. (3) and Reynolds et al. (4), respectively, which also highlight natural and vaccine-induced immune responses to variants.

Can you tell me what that means in layman’s terms 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Can you tell me what that means in layman’s terms 

Not a lot really in the part that was highlighted. I am sure the article itself goes into detail in the differences between mRNA immunity and infection-based immunity and a combination of both.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's the intro to the perspective piece setting up two other papers in the issue... relevant to some of the exchanges recently regarding natural and vaccine mediated immunity. 

Maybe this is a better bottom line...

Overall, hybrid immunity to SARS-CoV-2 appears to be impressively potent. The synergy is primarily observed for the antibody response more so than the T cell response after vaccination, although the enhanced antibody response depends on memory T cells. This discordance needs to be better understood. Will hybrid natural/vaccine-immunity approaches be a reproducible way to enhance immunity? The Shingrix vaccine to prevent shingles, which is given to people previously infected with the varicella zoster virus, is impressively effective (∼97% efficacy), and elicits much higher antibody responses than viral infection alone. These principles also apply to combinations of vaccine modalities. It has long been observed that combining two different kinds of vaccines in a heterologous prime-boost regimen can elicit substantially stronger immune responses than either modality alone—depending on the order in which they are used and on which vaccine modalities are combined—for reasons that are not well understood. This may occur with combinations of COVID-19 vaccines, such as mRNA and adenoviral vectors, or mRNA and recombinant protein vaccines. These recent findings about SARS-CoV-2 immunology are pleasant surprises and can potentially be leveraged to generate better immunity to COVID-19 and other diseases.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, that's the intro to the perspective piece setting up two other papers in the issue... relevant to some of the exchanges recently regarding natural and vaccine mediated immunity. 

Maybe this is a better bottom line...

Overall, hybrid immunity to SARS-CoV-2 appears to be impressively potent. The synergy is primarily observed for the antibody response more so than the T cell response after vaccination, although the enhanced antibody response depends on memory T cells. This discordance needs to be better understood. Will hybrid natural/vaccine-immunity approaches be a reproducible way to enhance immunity? The Shingrix vaccine to prevent shingles, which is given to people previously infected with the varicella zoster virus, is impressively effective (∼97% efficacy), and elicits much higher antibody responses than viral infection alone. These principles also apply to combinations of vaccine modalities. It has long been observed that combining two different kinds of vaccines in a heterologous prime-boost regimen can elicit substantially stronger immune responses than either modality alone—depending on the order in which they are used and on which vaccine modalities are combined—for reasons that are not well understood. This may occur with combinations of COVID-19 vaccines, such as mRNA and adenoviral vectors, or mRNA and recombinant protein vaccines. These recent findings about SARS-CoV-2 immunology are pleasant surprises and can potentially be leveraged to generate better immunity to COVID-19 and other diseases.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but that reads a lot like getting a vaccine should happen regardless of whether you’ve had it or not and, when combined with natural immunity from previous infection, the vaccine greatly helps boost your immunity?

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but that reads a lot like getting a vaccine should happen regardless of whether you’ve had it or not and, when combined with natural immunity from previous infection, the vaccine greatly helps boost your immunity?

correct

• Like 1