2021 Big 12 Media Days

LTtxfan

Did I see they're gonna start cracking down on "horns down"? I assume that applies only to the players. No way they can penalize a team if some of the 50K+ fans in an opposing stadium does it, right? I don't do it because it's lame, but fans everywhere are gonna do it, but I can see penalizing players for taunting, as long as they make it known out front that its going to be a penalty.

giphy.gif

Warning…

16 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Well if they do it towards an opposing team player it is taunting, just like every other hand gesture towards an opposing team player. You can't wave goodbye at the DB you just roasted so I think it's fine you cant go point the horns down at them either.

They should be able to still do it in general and do it toward the crowd or whatever. That's not taunting.

Basically, the big12 said there's already a rule for taunting, and we will enforce it with the horns down. So they've said nothing, except mentioning horns down and making it a storyline when it doesn't need to be. 

This shit right here. Makes us look like Whiny babies

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Well if they do it towards an opposing team player it is taunting, just like every other hand gesture towards an opposing team player. You can't wave goodbye at the DB you just roasted so I think it's fine you cant go point the horns down at them either.

They should be able to still do it in general and do it toward the crowd or whatever. That's not taunting.

Basically, the big12 said there's already a rule for taunting, and we will enforce it with the horns down. So they've said nothing, except mentioning horns down and making it a storyline when it doesn't need to be. 

That's what I've always thought. If a player does it to the camera, whatever, you're one of the big dogs in the conference, of course its gonna happen. Just don't direct it at a player or the sideline. I'm surprised this keeps coming up, that's the pretty straight forward way to deal with it imo.

I mean if you only take one snippet from what he said you could be a pussy about it

"We've got a roster that is one that is more than capable of being competitive at a high level," said Sarkisian, who was 46-35 as head coach at Washington and USC between 2009 and 2015. "This is my third time around being a head coach. And to inherit this team coming off a 7-3 season with three losses by a combined 13 points, we're in a little better position than most when you take over a new program."

Sarkisian, speaking to reporters at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, said he wasn't concerned with the Longhorns' struggles over the past decade. Texas has won 10 games in a season just once since last winning the Big 12 title in 2009.

"We can't sit back and relax and think because we've got a great stadium, because we've got great resources, because we've got five-star, four-star players, that we just sprinkle a little magical fairy dust and all sudden we're a really good football team," Sarkisian said. "Winning is hard. Winning takes work. Winning takes grit and great teamwork."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He also mentioned sprinkling magic fairy dust with both the ESPN crew and during the presser. Flashbacks to Herman deer in headlights post game after his opening loss to Maryland. 

F it. He at least seems human and likable when he speaks. 

Appears he knows Turtle Tom's history and is trolling.

16 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It's not taunting,  it's fucking stupid.  It means you've got nothing of your own worth a shit. It means Texas is in your fucking head. Any time someone in our fanbase whines about it they look like fucking Karens and it certainly doesn't make it stop

It’s literally taunting. I can’t wrap my head around people who are arguing that it’s not. If it wasn’t taunting, nobody would do it because it looks retarded. 

With that being said, taunting being a penalty is fucking stupid and 99% of the Texas fanbase couldn’t careless if teams do it. I’m fascinated that other fanbase think this upsets us. 

I don't understand the getting wound up about which players did and didn't come.

We brought Greg Eisworth instead of Mike Rose.  Mike Rose is the closest thing in the conference on the defensive side of the ball to what Rattler is on offense.  

25 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

It’s literally taunting. I can’t wrap my head around people who are arguing that it’s not. If it wasn’t taunting, nobody would do it because it looks retarded. 

With that being said, taunting being a penalty is fucking stupid and 99% of the Texas fanbase couldn’t careless if teams do it. I’m fascinated that other fanbase think this upsets us. 

Dude, it definitely does.  Maybe not Surly, but Texas Twitter flips it's shit anytime someone does a Horns Down.

The Horns Down thing has become such a big deal because of the strong reaction it provokes from Texas.  If most Texas fans and the conference didn't give a shit, people would quit doing it.  That's human nature 101.

Texas should really just view it as a sign of living rent free in every other school's head and take it as the compliment it is.  No one's "Guns Down"ing Tech, ya know?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's what I've always thought. If a player does it to the camera, whatever, you're one of the big dogs in the conference, of course its gonna happen. Just don't direct it at a player or the sideline. I'm surprised this keeps coming up, that's the pretty straight forward way to deal with it imo.

Agreed. Not sure why it has to be UT- handsign specific.  Just make players aware, if you taunt the other team, either with their handsign or yours; it'll be unsportsmanlike conduct.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dude, it definitely does.  Maybe not Surly, but Texas Twitter Media flips it's shit anytime someone does a Horns Down.

The Horns Down thing has become such a big deal because of the strong reaction it provokes from Texas.  If most Texas fans and the conference didn't give a shit, people would quit doing it.  That's human nature 101.

Texas should really just view it as a sign of living rent free in every other school's head and take it as the compliment it is.  No one's "Guns Down"ing Tech, ya know?

FIFY

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I guess I don't have the victim mentality to understand taunting.  It's kinda like the flopping in soccer and the NBA.. I can't 'wrap my head around ' (first and last time I'll ever say that) letting your opponent think he got to you. Let alone something he does with his hand gestures

3 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Yes it is taunting.  I am not sure why they singled out the horns down though.

If Bijan scores a TD and does the horns up in the face of an opposing player, thats 15 yards.  If he points his index finger at him, that is 15 yards.  People who dont WANT TO understand this are just haters and want to make something out of nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Yes it is taunting.  I am not sure why they singled out the horns down though.

If Bijan scores a TD and does the horns up in the face of an opposing player, thats 15 yards.  If he points his index finger at him, that is 15 yards.  People who dont WANT TO understand this are just haters and want to make something out of nothing. 

Because the big 12 is dogshit and they do this stupid thing every couple of years to make headlines and have people all get to jump on Texas for being soft.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Because the big 12 is dogshit and they do this stupid thing every couple of years to make headlines and have people all get to jump on Texas for being soft.

Interesting point...

With the former Bama LB getting after teammates who were whining at a Longhorn practice, hopefully this current team can start breaking the mold of being "soft"

Love watching Bijan... 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

Interesting point...
With the former Bama LB getting after teammates who were whining at a Longhorn practice, hopefully this current team can start breaking the mold of being "soft"
Love watching Bijan... 

Where is this from regarding the linebacker?

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

I am not sure why they singled out the horns down though. 

They didn't single it out intentionally though. The head of officiating said taunting would be a point of emphasis then responded to a reporter's question about how that related to Horns down. And his answer becomes a flashy quote to spread through twitter and get everyone talking about how Texas is so soft.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting point...

Love watching Bijan... 🤘

I never though we were overly soft under Herman. We just played a lot of dumbass, undisciplined, shitty football. We usually played hard and pretty physical. It just never felt like we were putting guys in the right position to succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I don’t give a fuck about the hand sign either way but here is the main issue:

In 2012, Mike Davis got a penalty for holstering the Texas Tech ‘guns up’ as he waltzed through the end zone on a touchdown.

Its fucking bullshit to flag UT players and not flag anyone else for doing the horns down.

Fairness in sports, that’s the entire fucking issue here.

Otherwise, I completely enjoy the entire fucking nation knowing and performing our hand sign as it’s the most popular, most well known, and done by everyone that plays us. Rent motherfucking free forever!!!

Fuck shit piss balls mayonnaise dick.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's obviously a taunt and clearly intended to be a taunt when it's done by an opposing player to our fans or our players.  That said, I am in the camp of if you don't like something your opponent is doing on the field, then make them stop.

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

I don’t give a fuck about the hand sign either way but here is the main issue:

In 2012, Mike Davis got a penalty for holstering the Texas Tech ‘guns up’ as he waltzed through the end zone on a touchdown.

Its fucking bullshit to flag UT players and not flag anyone else for doing the horns down.

Fairness in sports, that’s the entire fucking issue here.

Otherwise, I completely enjoy the entire fucking nation knowing and performing our hand sign as it’s the most popular, most well known, and done by everyone that plays us. Rent motherfucking free forever!!!

Fuck shit piss balls mayonnaise dick.

One thing the big12 officials are consistent on - inconsistency

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm... not quite sure I get the metaphor. And if it's anything about the conference coddling us over OU in anything I think we all can have a hearty laugh about it.

If anything it should be reversed. Texas carries this shitass conference with its brand and national success across multiple sports. SMU has a more recent claimed national title in football than anyone but OU or Texas in the B12. So do fucking Colorado and Washington. The B12 would immediately dissolve without Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3