HELP!! Vacation plans scuttled, need plan B.

Jiggy-Z

I may also post this in Help Forum.

Our annual family trip to my BIL's lake cabin in late July/Early August has been cancelled.  We drive up there every summer and enjoy a week to ten days of fishing, drinking, water skiing, hanging out, campfires, etc.  In other words, a real vacation.  The kids have a blast.  It's pretty affordable too.  Dammit.

BIL dropped this on us today.  I won't go into their bullshit reasons.  We were just talking about this with them two weeks ago for fucks sake.

So I need some Surly ideas. My boys that are still in the house are 13 and 15, if that helps.

We broke the news to them and they said they wanted to go to the beach.

I think Texas beaches are out.  We just did that in late April and Port A was crowded then.

Driving looks like the way we go.

So its all open: Desert, Mountains, Lake, Austin staycation..whatever.  Go.

Our annual family trip to my BIL's lake cabin in late July/Early August has been cancelled.  We drive up there every summer and enjoy a week to ten days of fishing, drinking, water skiing, hanging out, campfires, etc.  In other words, a real vacation.  The kids have a blast.  It's pretty affordable too.  Dammit.
BIL dropped this on us today.  I won't go into their bullshit reasons.  We were just talking about this with them two weeks ago for fucks sake.
So I need some Surly ideas. My boys that are still in the house are 13 and 15, if that helps.
I think Texas beaches are out.  We just did that in late April and Port A was crowded then.

Sounds like you wore out your welcome.

Big Bend.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Hill Country rivers (Frio, Guadalupe, etc.)   They are really flowing this year and your time frame might work . I see cancellations from time to time of my Facebook feed from some of the rental places in those regions.

You can go north to Broken Bow and hit the lake there.  Plenty of watercraft rentals and other stuff to do.  Of as stated hit the tried and true Hill Country river stuff.  We're going down next week.  Hit Crystal Beach few weeks back and had a good time.  More isolated than Galveston.  There's also Hot Springs.  The track is a blast and plenty of decent places to eat.  

Concan--float the river. see some tiddies. Boys love tiddies

Gulport, MS/Gulf Shores, Al--not a bad drive. Nice beaches within reasonable drive

Grand Canyon--did a road trip with daughter last year. We really liked it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Drive to Buena Vista or Salida Colorado. Do a 2 day rafting trip. Camp another day or two at one of a shiton of nearby lakes and catch trout all day. Spend a night or two in a hotel in town and eat well. 
Seriously, my sister talked me into doing another shitty summer family trip to the beach earlier this summer. Newsflash… unless you’re in college the beach sucks. The day long drive to anywhere cooler is always worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rent a place in Leakey and float, hang out in the Frio River. You can day trip over to Lost Maples State Park to hike and picnic.  We stayed in some cabins by the river and it was fun just dipping into the river to cool off and stationary float by tying up to the bank. The place we stayed had a tiny waterfall so we just sat on the lower end of that and just let the cold water wash over our shoulders. 

11 hours ago, squib said:

Concan--float the river. see some tiddies. Boys love tiddies

Gulport, MS/Gulf Shores, Al--not a bad drive. Nice beaches within reasonable drive

Grand Canyon--did a road trip with daughter last year. We really liked it. 

I'm going to tell you--the North Rim of the GC is great.  It's far less crowded, and because it's 1,000 higher in elevation, it's downright cool.

Last year, we did a few nights at the Jacob Lake Campground and really enjoyed it.  We hiked around the Canyon and did dune buggies out of Kanab.  We didn't stay at the Jacob Lake Inn across the street, but it has decent reviews.  We did stop there for the food truck that was parked in the lot, which was doing Navajo flatbread--highly recommend.

11 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Drive to Buena Vista or Salida Colorado. Do a 2 day rafting trip. Camp another day or two at one of a shiton of nearby lakes and catch trout all day. Spend a night or two in a hotel in town and eat well. 
Seriously, my sister talked me into doing another shitty summer family trip to the beach earlier this summer. Newsflash… unless you’re in college the beach sucks. The day long drive to anywhere cooler is always worth it. 

Been to Salina a bunch. Neat town. 

Yeah you are going to have to spill the reason why you were uninvited.  But regardless you need to do something so awesome that makes your BIL feel jealous and he hangs himself int he shower at the lakehouse.  Joking of course, but he needs to feel like shit.

Go to the Rockies, go rafting, zip lining, hiking, etc.  Eat well, and stay in a badass cabin or hotel.  Post it all on FB for your BIL to hate his life.

18 hours ago, Allandale said:

Go to the mountains either Breck or Pagosa Springs. TONS to do (It ain't cheap though...)

Breckenridge was the first thing that popped into my head. Tons of hiking, fishing, good food, etc. Plus, rooms are cheap this time of year. You can VRBO for less than half the winter rates.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

So, yeah...we're gonna need to hear the bullshit reasons.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Keep at it, the more options I throw out there the more the wife thinks I am involved and working on this.

So I tried to keep the starter post brief as I have already been abused on on the Wives thread for being wordy and not funny.

But here it goes:

So we have been doing this for about eight years now and there has never been any sign of trouble.  We all get along, we contribute on the provisioning, help out with maintenance, dishes, meals, kids all get along as well.  So all good there.

We have been in contact with BIL and SIL all summer about a late July /early August trip (just like every other year).  Everybody was all in especially since we missed last year due to COVID.

So about two weeks ago the wife starts putting feelers out for an exact time window.  (We have 4 pets and a small goat herd which need advanced arrangements.  The goats would need there own thread, but that is another story) .  So that goes OK and my BIL said he needed to check with the SIL on which week and would get right back to us.

Time goes by, we are hyping the trip to our kids, I'm puttering with fishing equipment, even went out and bought a new inflatable SUP for the trip.  The wife calls every few days and ...nothing, which is not unusual for BIL, so we don't really think anything of it until late last week, when my wife said her brother is still not calling back and we both suspected something was up.

My wife thought that perhaps BIL and SIL got into a big fight or something, since the last time we talked to both of them SIL was drunk and was coming up with nutty ides like inviting my parents on the trip, which would be a horrible idea, and BIL was cutting her off to keep things on topic and was clearly annoyed-but hey we have all been there and I didn't think that was the reason.  I was leaning more into some last minute thing dreamed up by my SIL:  Which it was.

Turns out that there 3rd oldest child wanted to visit colleges, so SIL planned a family trip to Chicago that somehow destroys the 3 week cabin vacation window.  Wife said she tried to work something out on the front or back end where we get there before or leave after they leave but no dice.  So a legit excuse but kind of shitty with the last minute stuff and length of time involved, plus BIL is kind of a pussy, plus it still sounds like BS to me.

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Keep at it, the more options I throw out there the more the wife thinks I am involved and working on this.

So I tried to keep the starter post brief as I have already been abused on on the Wives thread for being wordy and not funny.

But here it goes:

So we have been doing this for about eight years now and there has never been any sign of trouble.  We all get along, we contribute on the provisioning, help out with maintenance, dishes, meals, kids all get along as well.  So all good there.

We have been in contact with BIL and SIL all summer about a late July /early August trip (just like every other year).  Everybody was all in especially since we missed last year due to COVID.

So about two weeks ago the wife starts putting feelers out for an exact time window.  (We have 4 pets and a small goat herd which need advanced arrangements.  The goats would need there own thread, but that is another story) .  So that goes OK and my BIL said he needed to check with the SIL on which week and would get right back to us.

Time goes by, we are hyping the trip to our kids, I'm puttering with fishing equipment, even went out and bought a new inflatable SUP for the trip.  The wife calls every few days and ...nothing, which is not unusual for BIL, so we don't really think anything of it until late last week, when my wife said her brother is still not calling back and we both suspected something was up.

My wife thought that perhaps BIL and SIL got into a big fight or something, since the last time we talked to both of them SIL was drunk and was coming up with nutty ides like inviting my parents on the trip, which would be a horrible idea, and BIL was cutting her off to keep things on topic and was clearly annoyed-but hey we have all been there and I didn't think that was the reason.  I was leaning more into some last minute thing dreamed up by my SIL:  Which it was.

Turns out that there 3rd oldest child wanted to visit colleges, so SIL planned a family trip to Chicago that somehow destroys the 3 week cabin vacation window.  Wife said she tried to work something out on the front or back end where we get there before or leave after they leave but no dice.  So a legit excuse but kind of shitty with the last minute stuff and length of time involved, plus BIL is kind of a pussy, plus it still sounds like BS to me.

Sounds like bullshit to me. With the 3 week window and then only needing one long weekend for the college visit, there’s clearly more at play. They’re either not getting along or tight on money would be my guess, but what the fuck do I know

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sounds like bullshit to me. With the 3 week window and then only needing one long weekend for the college visit, there’s clearly more at play. They’re either not getting along or tight on money would be my guess, but what the fuck do I know

30 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

But here it goes:

I have to question, if the cabin is not being used why can't your family just go without them and enjoy?  I applaud your efforts to get something done for your kids to have a good vacation.  Still think Colorado or Montana is your answer for what you guys like to do.  Denver is cheap as hell to get to right now.  And college visits at the last minute is a BS excuse in my book.  Those things are planned ahead, I did it last year with my daughter.

I'd head to the Gulf, at least Biloxi or farther east towards AL and FL.  It's not a horrible drive.  Water is nice, beaches are beautiful.

Destin is kind of a madhouse, though.  East of there gets a little more chill, but it definitely adds to the drive.

Stop in New Orleans for a night on at least one leg so your sons can see hookers & blow in action.

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Stop in New Orleans for a night on at least one leg so your sons can see hookers & blow in action.

Este.   My 13 and 11 year old learned more about sex, drugs, poverty, crime in 3 days in NOLA then they will in 10 years in school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Not tight on money.  I too think there is more at play here.  My guess is BIL is pissed at SIL, because I know this is her doing.

BIL and I get along great.  In fact, with me being around up there I think he gets away with a whole more than he is used too what with me being a surly degenerate and all.

About four years ago BIL and I  went out in the canoe before dusk to see if we could scare up some bass.  It is not a big lake (about 400 acres) and we can see his cabin from our fishing spot.  We sat out there, drank lots beer and slayed the bass on top waters for about two hours.  I had no idea what I was doing, I just did the stuff I normally do for speckled trout when the water is calm and it somehow worked.  He now thinks I am some kind of fishing guru.  Poor guy was all stressed out with work and family and would later remark to my wife that was one of the best days of his life (top 20).  And no you sick fucks, we did not do any Broke Back lake type of stuff......

.....that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, midtown said:

Este.   My 13 and 11 year old learned more about sex, drugs, poverty, crime in 3 days in NOLA then they will in 10 years in school.

True that.  My oldest son lives in NO and we visit from time to time.  A few years back we used to go to an annual rock climbing competition there and rent a house with another family.  One year my oldest arranged for the Air B&B and he got us a sweet deal...in the lower 9th ward.  The neighborhood was alright with some spotty rental conversions and long time residents.  The way into the hood was pretty dicey .  Google maps took us under this bridge with some locals hanging out and shooting up while we did our slow u turn under the bridge dodging old couches and other furniture.  All the kids made friends with the local kids and they all played football and Frisbee in the streets while the adults watched with beverages from the front porch.  I don't remember much else except that two of the kids they were playing with were named Taco and French Fry.

That neighborhood was creepy as fuck though.  There was an old abandoned schoolhouse across the street and a lot of the houses looked haunted. 

I'm a big fan of the mountains, but just to throw out a suggestion that's pretty much the opposite of everything posted, I submit the following:  We've got two boys about your kids' ages.  In June, we took a road trip to D.C. Griswold style.  Did 11 states and D.C. over the course of seven days (3.5 days in D.C.).  The drive definitely was a bit of a beating, but the trip was one for the books that we all enjoyed and made for lots of memories.

If you boys haven't been to float the Comal then that's my Plan B.  You might try "the Other Place" as IF they have a room, it would be a blast for you guys and fairly short travel time.  The boys would probably enjoy the eye candy... Wear your mirrored glasses Dad....

If you boys haven't been to float the Comal then that's my Plan B.  You might try "the Other Place" as IF they have a room, it would be a blast for you guys and fairly short travel time.  The boys would probably enjoy the eye candy... Wear your mirrored glasses Dad....
Taking my 15 yr old son toobing tomorrow. Looking forward to the tits and tats

On 7/14/2021 at 3:26 PM, Allandale said:

Go to the mountains either Breck or Pagosa Springs. TONS to do (It ain't cheap though...)

Breck is getting out of control.  Place we used to stay (a nice 3 bed/3 bath) right up the street from the Breck brewery was $200 a night 5 years ago.   Those go for $450-500 a night now.   Still love going there but I'm about ready to look farther out.   But that doesn't always equate to as nice or cheaper either.

Looks like the leader in the clubhouse is staycation here in Austin.

This is kind of my weak spot.  I was over 40 the first time I ever visited the Capital Building for real and I grew up here.  I must have been sick all of those days in elementary school.  Although I did enter the building right before the 1999 Congress Ave. Mile (age 32) for a pre-race deuce.  It got me over the top and  I finished in 4:58.

So any new ideas for day trips or local stuff?