Societal collapse predicted by MIT (in 1972)

Rip76

4 hours ago, lmao said:

Idiots keep having kids while smart people are having less children than before or none at all.

If you're gonna take the "my high IQ makes me better" approach, follow Stannis'...

tenor.gif

13 hours ago, Enchubben said:

We should have already died from global flooding, drought, famine and and (checks notes) ice age? by now according to other esteemed studies and predictions from around that time period. Excuse me if I take this with a grain of salt.

Killer bees were supposed to kill errbody too

12 hours ago, HouTex said:

Too many pessimists here. Read some more optimistic views of the future. The Next Hundred Years would be a good start. Also, read Factfulness to get an understanding of why so many of us are pessimists.

Great book.   And follow humanprogress.org on twitter.  You will get actual information not doom and gloom the sky is falling crap the media puts out

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HouTex said:

Too many pessimists here. Read some more optimistic views of the future. The Next Hundred Years would be a good start. Also, read Factfulness to get an understanding of why so many of us are pessimists.

Not necessarily this crowd, but in general people seem more pessimistic to me. 

I'm a firm believer that the shift to "news as entertainment" plays a huge part. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HouTex said:

Because we are all karens and live to complain?

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

we are running out of people who have seen a legit hard time.  

A few million Texans got a glimpse of what a legit hard time is last February.

But agreed. While a shitload of poor and immigrants have seen a legit hard time, a whole lot more here in the US haven't.

And ironically, a shitload of prepper types who thought they were prepared for the apocalypse discovered last year that they couldn't go a few months without eating at Chilis or getting a haircut.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think '72 - '75 is the best stretch to be born in.  We got to experience some of the '70s, the best of the '80s, got to grow up with the home video game craze, got to see and hopefully play with the best toys (Star Wars and G I Joe) and the best cartoons, our parents had fucking awesome record collections, whether they liked rock or country. The best TV, from Magnum P.I., A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Airwolf, and all the others. The best movies.  It was just a damn fine stretch.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Most people had some heat source and most didn't go a full week and almost everyone could find heat by going to a friends house etc.  And liquor and food was available.   Maybe I'm warped but considering how people in other places live I find it hard to consider that hard times. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think '72 - '75 is the best stretch to be born in.  We got to experience some of the '70s, the best of the '80s, got to grow up with the home video game craze, got to see and hopefully play with the best toys (Star Wars and G I Joe) and the best cartoons, our parents had fucking awesome record collections, whether they liked rock or country. The best TV, from Magnum P.I., A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Airwolf, and all the others. The best movies.  It was just a damn fine stretch.

Except for the TV part I tend to agree. Unless you’re into cheesy TV shows like apparently you and my wife. 

Plus our parents tended to generally ignore us and let us do what we wanted and if there were consequences, we usually had to deal with them. That is obviously not the case now. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Except for the TV part I tend to agree. Unless you’re into cheesy TV shows like apparently you and my wife. 

Plus our parents tended to generally ignore us and let us do what we wanted and if there were consequences, we usually had to deal with them. That is obviously not the case now. 

Stranger Things was our childhood, minus the monsters.

Fucking 24/7 cable news ruined everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Most people had some heat source and most didn't go a full week and almost everyone could find heat by going to a friends house etc.  And liquor and food was available.   Maybe I'm warped but considering how people in other places live I find it hard to consider that hard times. 

I ran out of booze, could not possibly get to the store due to hills and a dead battery stuck on a hilly driveway on the 4wd truck and was reduced to drinking peppermint schnapps.

Also my brothers house got destroyed by water damage plumbing leaks, had 4wd so moved to his father in laws house which then got destroyed by water damage plumbing leaks.  So you can rightly fuck off with this shitty ass take. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I ran out of booze, could not possibly get to the store due to hills and a dead battery stuck on a hilly driveway on the 4wd truck and was reduced to drinking peppermint schnapps.
Also my brothers house got destroyed by water damage plumbing leaks, had 4wd so moved to his father in laws house which then got destroyed by water damage plumbing leaks.  So you can rightly fuck off with this shitty ass take. 

Sounds rough.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, midtown said:

I hear what you are saying, but . . . 

The Texas Department of State Health Services on Wednesday updated its official tally of deaths linked to the historic freeze in February and now says 210 people across the state died because of the winter storm and the resulting blackouts.

The update represents an increase of 59 deaths from the agency's previous count.

DSHS said most of the victims died of hypothermia.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2021-07-14/texas-winter-storm-death-toll-goes-up-to-210-including-28-deaths-in-travis-county

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The same things are true of being born in '71, except I got even more of all the good stuff, and I got to drink one year earlier than you. 

(Legally)

Growing up in Austin in the 70s and 80s was awesome.  But Austin jumped the shark in 1991.  Right about when all of you born in '72 assholes got here.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm biased but 90s & early 00s had the perfect amount of tech.

Just now, lmao said:

I'm biased but 90s & early 00s had the perfect amount of tech.

I can see that to an extent, especially with things like Game Boys, but I'd argue that all of the software/driver issues and hardware dongles and ports put a damper on the computer side of things.  Late 90s/early 2000s were a helluva transition.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

A few million Texans got a glimpse of what a legit hard time is last February.

But agreed. While a shitload of poor and immigrants have seen a legit hard time, a whole lot more here in the US haven't.

And ironically, a shitload of prepper types who thought they were prepared for the apocalypse discovered last year that they couldn't go a few months without eating at Chilis or getting a haircut.

Growing up the power wentoff when ever it snowed more than 8-10" that was a fairly regular at least once a year or every couple year occurrence . It wasn't an adventure as a kid and you just dealt with it.

We're victims of better technology that  keeps those kinds of incidents at bay till really big events overwhelm systems.  

People grow accustomed to flicking a switch and a light comes on.  

We're a more booksmart, informed society, but a weaker, less self reliant one as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, utee94 said:

The same things are true of being born in '71, except I got even more of all the good stuff, and I got to drink one year earlier than you. 

(Legally)

Growing up in Austin in the 70s and 80s was awesome.  But Austin jumped the shark in 1991.  Right about when all of you born in '72 assholes got here.

My kids were born in Austin in 1968, 1971, & 1972.... so they might agree.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah low hanging fruit, but it's generally true. Information access is easier than it's ever been, people are more book smart, but less I can fix shit, self reliant, hands on smart.

I remember going back to visit a HS teacher (no sexy time in the cloak room) my senior year of college, and asked how these kids were different than us. She said they were smarter academically, but no where near as mature, savvy as we were.  They needed more hand holding, and coddling.

The better technology gets, makes things easier, the less connected we are to the way that happens, and the ability to handle shit when it goes south.  Lose your internet, and you ain't getting a you tube video on how to fix a light switch.

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Most of my childhood tech was the Saturday matinee at the movies, and listening to the AM radio.

And that didn't change until the late very late 80's. Now technology changes in a couple months.  I blame our downfall on the lack of Saturday morning cartoons.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Now society is suffering from your drug choices and poor parenting. You’re the generation we should’ve spayed and neutered.

Edited by DaggerHorns

24 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Now society is suffering from your drug choices and poor parenting. You’re the generation we should’ve spayed and neutered.

The parenting stuff started in the early 80s, thanks to 24/7 cable news convincing our parents that we were all in danger of being kidnapped at the mall and decapitated, and cable religious shows/channels looking for satan in everything.  People like that bitch Tipper Gore were trying to convince our parents that we were succumbing to that evil rap music, although I would like to thank Tipper Gore for getting the parental warning labels added to music, which helped us find the really good music.

And network TV.  Holy shit it did a number on our parents.

• Different Strokes - warned us of the dangers with the old guy who wanted us to strip down and take our picture and tickle us
  • Facts of Life - warned us about teen girls boarding schools, with their propensity for peer-pressuring other teen girls into killing themselves so they could divide up their possessions
  • Punky Brewster - warned us of the danger that can occur when an old guy adopts a young girl for whom puberty was either really kind or really harmful
  • Silver Spoons - warned us of the danger of being a teenage guy who gets a hot-ass step mom who is down to fuck
  • Growing Pains - warned us of having a teenage son who thinks he's a 40-something businessman.
  • Cosby Show - well, you know
  • ALF - warned us of the dangers of aliens who want to come here and fuck our house pets

And so on.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah low hanging fruit, but it's generally true. Information access is easier than it's ever been, people are more book smart, but less I can fix shit, self reliant, hands on smart.

I remember going back to visit a HS teacher (no sexy time in the cloak room) my senior year of college, and asked how these kids were different than us. She said they were smarter academically, but no where near as mature, savvy as we were.  They needed more hand holding, and coddling.

The better technology gets, makes things easier, the less connected we are to the way that happens, and the ability to handle shit when it goes south.  Lose your internet, and you ain't getting a you tube video on how to fix a light switch.

This is a feature of an evolved capitalist society. It has more to do with an individual's comparative advantage and the opportunity cost of learning skills outside of their specialized skill set. It's not technology but specialization that leads to people not dedicating their free time to learning menial tasks that can be performed by someone else for a fee. As jobs have become more specific and complex the time dedicated to specializing in those skill sets requires more time so other opportunities of learning must be sacrificed.

5 hours ago, F250 said:

This is a feature of an evolved capitalist society. It has more to do with an individual's comparative advantage and the opportunity cost of learning skills outside of their specialized skill set. It's not technology but specialization that leads to people not dedicating their free time to learning menial tasks that can be performed by someone else for a fee. As jobs have become more specific and complex the time dedicated to specializing in those skill sets requires more time so other opportunities of learning must be sacrificed.

Sure, but that's a lot of words to say people can't do shit with their own 2 hands anymore.  

22 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Access to more and more information does not make one smarter.   In fact, there is a tipping point where it actually makes one dumber because they are unable to discern what’s real and what’s for sale.   

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Access to more and more information does not make one smarter.   In fact, there is a tipping point where it actually makes one dumber because they are unable to discern what’s real and what’s for sale.   

True, but it creates the ability for one to be more informed.  You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

That still gets away from my point that as we have more and more information at our hands we lose more and more basic self reliant hands on skills. As our technology makes things much more efficient, we lose the ability to work on things. Car and tractor co's that say you can't work on your own engines, is a loose example of this concept.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

True, but it creates the ability for one to be more informed.  You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

That still gets away from my point that as we have more and more information at our hands we lose more and more basic self reliant hands on skills. As our technology makes things much more efficient, we lose the ability to work on things. Car and tractor co's that say you can't work on your own engines, is a loose example of this concept.

This is all true to a certain point, but there's a flipside to it as well.  15 years ago I was looking at a Haynes manual or a Chilton's manual to figure out how to change my engine thermostat or replace a headlight.  Now I can find videos all over Youtube showing me exactly how to do it, and likely on my exact same model and year and maybe even color of my vehicle.  Same is true for all sorts of other practical hands-on manual tasks that I'd have had to do a lot of research in repair guides or building manuals, previously. That's an example of informational technological enablement that has been positive and productive.  

I don't think it balances out in total, so in general I still agree with your point, but as an electrical engineer and technologist, I had to point out at least one positive counter-argument. :)

• Hook 'Em 2