Business Fiber Internet Pricing - Prepare Thy Anus?

We are trying to get fiber internet for commercial property. We currently have 1Gig down/45mb/s up on coax, that we pay about $250 a month for, but it's not sufficient for the era of zoom. The upload speed is more important than the download for our purposes. Trying to get an idea of whether these are realistic prices  for 500 down/500 up. The quote we are getting is $1100 a month (from a Spectrum reseller - unfortunately that's the only option at our location) - are we getting taken for a ride, or is it just that expensive to get those upload speeds on fiber?  Gig down/Gig up is even worse. 

22 hours ago, hornian said:

We are trying to get fiber internet for commercial property. We currently have 1Gig down/45mb/s up on coax, that we pay about $250 a month for, but it's not sufficient for the era of zoom. The upload speed is more important than the download for our purposes. Trying to get an idea of whether these are realistic prices  for 500 down/500 up. The quote we are getting is $1100 a month (from a Spectrum reseller - unfortunately that's the only option at our location) - are we getting taken for a ride, or is it just that expensive to get those upload speeds on fiber?  Gig down/Gig up is even worse. 

If will definitely come down to where you are located and number of competitors available. If you are in a shared building where they already are connected to that has at least another competitor I would think it would be more like half that price for 500/500 (quotes we get in Galleria Houston), gig more $900.  But I have situation at my branch office where none currently exist where getting quotes in the thousands for similar as they can't really justify the costs and they know there is little competition.

So short answer is - yes, its high, but they know you don't have a choice if you really need it.  I would happily pay 1100/mth if I could get 500/500 from a good provider where I am located.

Oddly enough, AT&T has now reached out to us at our Galleria location and offering a discount to current fiber rate, no contracts, increased speeds.  1G up/down $250/mo

I guess they are tired of losing out to other providers offering cheaper 1G down connection not really needing more up speed so they decided to better compete with them since they have a bunch of fiber sitting there already.

22 hours ago, immamac said:

That seems very high for a long term. For the first year or 2 I could see that to recoup build cost, but after they recoup build it should go down to something much more reasonable. 

This is for a 3 year contract. Supposedly we already have the fiber to the building it just needs to be switched on. So it’s not like they are going to recoup costs of installing or anything. But there’s only one provider (Spectrum), so I guess no competition is fucking me. 

2 hours ago, hornian said:

This is for a 3 year contract. Supposedly we already have the fiber to the building it just needs to be switched on. So it’s not like they are going to recoup costs of installing or anything. But there’s only one provider (Spectrum), so I guess no competition is fucking me. 

Call ATT or someone else. They will build a fiber line for that.