Great food with great environments

Bevo

Yeah, the only thing that hurts Siena's atmosphere is upon arrival, you gotta navigate parking at that strip center/paint store which takes away from the beautiful exterior.  .  But once inside, it's a very authentic design and the food is spot-on.  And it is just so damn consistent.  I've only tried 3-4 dishes there in 50 visits, but they always deliver every damn time.  

On 7/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, Bevo said:

A friend of mine is visiting from Santa Barbara. His go to place in Austin is Ranch 616. It has been closed since the ice storm. Any good ideas for dinner and some drinks?

contigo

suerte

foreign and domestic

odd duck

el naranjo

roaring fork

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It doesn't hurt that I live 5 minutes away.  By foot.

Do you live under that bridge?  Yeah, it's not great...but it's very good.  I like the inside and I like the consistency.  I would never seek out Siena for a date night or to take out-of-towners.  But when I was working out in Lakeway, we hit it up all the time and it just never missed.  But we live far away from it, I'd never take the wife there particualrly if we were planning to raid the wine list.  

Contigo still has a great atmosphere, haven't been there in years.  Need to hit that up again.  

On 7/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, thrillhammer said:

hudsons on the bend is the first place that comes to mind.  a little pricier than 616 and farther out, but better atmosphere.   i'm sure i can think of a place with great food and a quintessential austin vibe so let me dwell on it.

Is the new one good? 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is the new one good? 

havent been in awhile.  they still have the same gamey, southwestern style menu, similar to ranch 616, so i thought it was worth throwing out there. ranch 616 is louder and rowdier, more of a bar scene but with great food.   contigo might be the closest to this.

6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

havent been in awhile.  they still have the same gamey, southwestern style menu, similar to ranch 616, so i thought it was worth throwing out there. ranch 616 is louder and rowdier, more of a bar scene but with great food.   contigo might be the closest to this.

The original closed a few years back because Blank got sick or decided he was done or some such. I actually wasn't aware the new owners opened a copy-cat in the same space. So there's still a similar restaurant there but it isn't Hudson's on The Bend anymore. Maybe someone that's been can chime in. 

Edited by ztejas

On 7/26/2021 at 12:33 AM, MissingInAction said:

Hanks on berkman is my go to for visitors.

Awesome patio and great food. Everything is made in house from scratch. Their grande Marnier ice cream alone is worth a visit.

Pretty sure my wife just forwards her paycheck to them. I think it’s a solid mix of good food, good atmosphere, and busy without being too packed.