Most Hated Modern Invention

Horn_Spanker

17 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Every time I see people bitching about spam calls I have to ask - why are you morons answering unknown calls?

The answer is Facebook. 

The incessant ringing is bad enough.  I don't have the guts to block all spam, afraid I'll miss a real one that gets mislabeled.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

My nomination is electronic registration for damn near everything. Seems like I'm always having to register on some new site or app to get info that I used to get without a hassle. 

You want to pay for your kid's school lunch? We don't take cash and don't do checks. Use the app. 

You want to pay me for babysitting? Just Venmo me. 

You want to buy a hammer? Give me your email address and I'll just enter you into our system...

I was traveling recently and wanted to get tickets for a national park. If it were only that easy. First you create your account profile, then you link it to your card, then they verify you, then you verify your password, blah blah blah. I just wanted to go hiking. 

And then for the rest of your life, you get emails from Eventbrite advertising unrelated activities taking place near your one-time vacation destination. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It’s been said several times but the correct answer is Facebook. Groupthink enabling motherfuckers.

those bitches and their algorithms have one fucking job, keep you on FB.

Vaccines bad, here’s some more bullshit. Nazi’s good, check this out this racist shit. Disagree with your family member, no worries here’s some random jackass to buttress your belief.

Much like ou, they suck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

The smartphone is the #1 answer.

I also hate that every car comes with an infotainment system that is obsolete within five years.

A few years ago I bought a '71 VW Beetle on the super cheap. Dial radio, manual windows, manual transmission, no power steering, no electronics anywhere unless you count the dome light that comes on when you open the door. It is so freeing to drive that car. I turn the key, prime the gas pedal (or roll start it), and that's it. No beeping, no back up camera, no lane assist, no infotainment system, no syncing with Bluetooth. 

Technology gets obsolete so fast and as you say the value of the car goes down with it. In a weird way, the thing I like most about that old VW is its complete and utter obsolescence. 

Blaupunkt-radio-VW-Beetle.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

A fiftieth vote for Facebook.  They gave it to the olds, who were not equipped for that level of technology/responsibility.  My less serious answer is the packaging that products come in these days that threatens to maim me when I try to open it.  If I order an electronic kizmo off of Amazon I shouldn’t have to get out tools to remove said kizmo from its packaging.

• Hook 'Em 2

Every time I see people bitching about spam calls I have to ask - why are you morons answering unknown calls?

The answer is Facebook. 
For work considerations, lots of us have customers with a wide variety of area codes & phone #'s.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

For work considerations, lots of us have customers with a wide variety of area codes & phone #'s.

If it is at all important they will leave a message or text/email you.  I would be willing to bet that the lost revenue from unanswered calls is offset by the increased productivity from not answering them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

A fiftieth vote for Facebook.  They gave it to the olds, who were not equipped for that level of technology/responsibility.  My less serious answer is the packaging that products come in these days that threatens to maim me when I try to open it.  If I order an electronic kizmo off of Amazon I shouldn’t have to get out tools to remove said kizmo from its packaging.

What’s a “kizmo?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

My nomination is electronic registration for damn near everything. Seems like I'm always having to register on some new site or app to get info that I used to get without a hassle. 

You want to pay for your kid's school lunch? We don't take cash and don't do checks. Use the app. 

You want to pay me for babysitting? Just Venmo me. 

You want to buy a hammer? Give me your email address and I'll just enter you into our system...

I was traveling recently and wanted to get tickets for a national park. If it were only that easy. First you create your account profile, then you link it to your card, then they verify you, then you verify your password, blah blah blah. I just wanted to go hiking. 

I had to make a hotel reservation over the phone this week because employer had a special block of rooms.

What would have taken me less than 60 seconds to do electronically, ended up taking 10 minutes and another follow up phone call because the dumbshit didn't enter my email address correctly for the confirmation.

Fuck all that.  The electronic methods can be time savers.  Text before phone calls too.  I don't want to fucking chat.  i just need a yes/ no.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

If it's important enough to call me, it's important enough to leave a message.

I return every (legit) message.

10 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

A few years ago I bought a '71 VW Beetle on the super cheap. Dial radio, manual windows, manual transmission, no power steering, no electronics anywhere unless you count the dome light that comes on when you open the door. It is so freeing to drive that car. I turn the key, prime the gas pedal (or roll start it), and that's it. No beeping, no back up camera, no lane assist, no infotainment system, no syncing with Bluetooth. 

Technology gets obsolete so fast and as you say the value of the car goes down with it. In a weird way, the thing I like most about that old VW is its complete and utter obsolescence. 

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I totally miss roll starting a car. 

Well, if you're going to own a flat-4 air cooled VW you better learn how:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock#:~:text=Vapor lock is a problem,gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.&text=The fuel can vaporize due,boiling point at high altitude.

Now I'm googling "1971 Beetle prices".  Some serious nostalgia there.  Do you have the weird smelling wool floor mats?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I had to make a hotel reservation over the phone this week because employer had a special block of rooms.

What would have taken me less than 60 seconds to do electronically, ended up taking 10 minutes and another follow up phone call because the dumbshit didn't enter my email address correctly for the confirmation.

Fuck all that.  The electronic methods can be time savers.  Text before phone calls too.  I don't want to fucking chat.  i just need a yes/ no.

Same here. I reserved 2 nights at a KC Marriott. Things changed and I needed to drop the 2nd night. I tried the online option to modify but it would only allow a total cancellation. Tried to reach a person and sat on hold for way too long. I finally cancelled the whole shebang and went to the Hilton property next door. Fuck automated systems that only do part of the job

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Touch less paper towel dispensers. 

Haha!  I swear I’m the human Stealth bomber and invisible to radar.  I can wave my mitts before one of those things for hours on end and I can’t spotted by it.   

The Air Force may need my services. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

The first car I bought for myself was a 97 Honda Prelude.  One of the things I loved about it was most everything was basic…sliders for climate control, cable-actuated trunk release, simple instrumentation, manual seat adjustments, even the cup holder was just a little adjustable bar that closed off a space in the center console.

Where the interior excelled was in material quality, at least compared to a Celica or other 90’s sports coupe.  Soft touch dash, no squeaks or rattles,  and everything put together well.  Anytime I have to pull the battery on my V, I have to do procedures to reset the window stops, sunroof travel, seat presets, etc and the screen is laughably outdated while the six disc changer sounds like robots having sex while I wait for it to get jammed.  

Gimme a simple car with high quality materials and craftsmanship…maybe I need a late 90’s Benz or something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

LOL.  Exact same thing happed in CR buying tickets to MA National park.  

33 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Touch less paper towel dispensers. 

Any of the touchless items in the bathroom.

Toilet flushes randomly, faucet water turns on when I move my hands away but stops when they are under the faucet, soap dispenser drops out a pea sized amount of soap, and the towel dispenser if it does actually register my hands are under it will give out 2 inches of paper towel. If there is a hand dryer it just blows without removing any of the moisture on your hands requiring you to dry them in your pants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Any of the touchless items in the bathroom.

Toilet flushes randomly, faucet water turns on when I move my hands away but stops when they are under the faucet, soap dispenser drops out a pea sized amount of soap, and the towel dispenser if it does actually register my hands are under it will give out 2 inches of paper towel. If there is a hand dryer it just blows without removing any of the moisture on your hands requiring you to dry them in your pants.

Was at a Costco food court yesterday.  They have brought back seats, but installed a touchless condiment dispenser.  There was probably 2 pounds of each condiment on the catch tray below the nozzle.  Impossible to control how much came out of nozzle. SMDH

On 7/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I thought I would hate the fuck out of this.  But I really don't.  The only time it's intrusive is going slow in a parking lot.  My engine is a gerbil wheel though.  A 275hp/300ftlb 2L gerbil wheel.

*lbft

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Yeah, fuck electric car seats.  "oh you can't get leather seats without electrics, it's a package".  I have not adjusted my seat since the day I left the dealership, seven years ago!

Wife got a new vehicle.  I never drive hers unless road trip…

2 weekends ago, we’re going to a reunion and I get in to drive and adjust the mirror, steering wheel( depth,) and seat. “ If you set it up on the info system, it will remember the way you want it.”

” I drive your vehicle twice a year…. Do we really need that?”

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If it is at all important they will leave a message or text/email you.  I would be willing to bet that the lost revenue from unanswered calls is offset by the increased productivity from not answering them.

There are two options:

1.  Customer speaks to you, you work out a schedule, you talk about their issues, etc. & you make that appointment happen.

2.  You let it roll to VM & risk the customer calling up someone else & that someone else works out a schedule & makes that appointment happen before you are able to get back in touch with them.

I'll stick with answering odd calls & hanging up on the ones that are bogus.

44 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wife got a new vehicle.  I never drive hers unless road trip…

2 weekends ago, we’re going to a reunion and I get in to drive and adjust the mirror, steering wheel( depth,) and seat. “ If you set it up on the info system, it will remember the way you want it.”

” I drive your vehicle twice a year…. Do we really need that?”

That's the part where you say to her "I take it you have set your preferences & when you resume driving, all you have to do is press 1 button & you are automatically reset?"

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Well, if you're going to own a flat-4 air cooled VW you better learn how:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock#:~:text=Vapor lock is a problem,gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.&text=The fuel can vaporize due,boiling point at high altitude.

Now I'm googling "1971 Beetle prices".  Some serious nostalgia there.  Do you have the weird smelling wool floor mats?

It has the classic VW smell, which I love and my wife hates. It's a mixture of horsehair seat filling / padding and gasoline. Intoxicating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Unlimited online choices.

Wanted to get a percussive massage gun to work out some knots on my shoulders.  Holy shit.  There were over 1200 options on Amazon.

So instead of ordering a therapy gun and getting some relief, I had to spend a few days slumped over my phone to see every combination of stall force, amplitude, battery life, programmable settings,  blue tooth options, styles, colors, reviews, noise, attachments etc.

Finally got it ordered then was notified it was on back order for three weeks ...argh. 

Ordered another one and it worked out great, although at first I was not filled with confidence. 

User brochure title exactly as written: TRIGGER PIONTS THERAPY FOR MYFACIAL PAIN.....great.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Unlimited online choices.

Wanted to get a percussive massage gun to work out some knots on my shoulders.  Holy shit.  There were over 1200 options on Amazon.

So instead of ordering a therapy gun and getting some relief, I had to spend a few days slumped over my phone to see every combination of stall force, amplitude, battery life, programmable settings,  blue tooth options, styles, colors, reviews, noise, attachments etc.

Finally got it ordered then was notified it was on back order for three weeks ...argh. 

Ordered another one and it worked out great, although at first I was not filled with confidence. 

User brochure title exactly as written: TRIGGER PIONTS THERAPY FOR MYFACIAL PAIN.....great.

Pro tip. They’re also great for shaking out the sleepies on long drives. I’ve recently had to drive back and forth to ABQ several times and have been wiped out. I remembered I had my theragun in my running bag and went to work on my sore hips and neck while I drove. No more sleepy. 

Streaming services.  Having all your shows housed on a cable system wasn't good enough.  Now we have to spend nearly the same amount on all the services, spend far more time trying to find the show we like.  Now I can't turn on the TV and watch a random episode of Seinfeld or catch the 1 millionth rerun of Shankshank cause I cut the cord.

• Hook 'Em 2