Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear

atomheartbevo

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm doing okay on mine - just Corona Virus mutating.  Nearly had Alien Invasion.  I suppose I could scratch through "world wide" and just have power outage.

2020-bingo-card-meme-2.jpg

Godzilla should be a free space. That's bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.fox4news.com/news/health-officials-report-1st-case-of-monkeypox-in-dallas-resident

Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) reports the person who tested positive is now isolated at the hospital to prevent the spread of the virus and is in stable condition.

The person arrived from Nigeria at Dallas Love Field on July 9, and the CDC is now working to contact anyone who may have had contact with them during the flight. The CDC said they flew to Atlanta from Nigeria, before reaching their final destination in Dallas.

Health officials said the chance they spread the virus is low because people are currently required to wear masks on flights and while in U.S. airports due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We have determined that there is very little risk to the general public. This is another demonstration of the importance of maintaining a strong public health infrastructure, as we are only a plane ride away from any global infectious disease," DCHHS Director Dr. Philip Huang said in a release.

This rules out aggy, since it's not livestock:

According to the CDC, the main disease carrier of monkeypox is still unknown, "although African rodents are suspected to play a part in transmission."

"We have confidence in the federal, state, and local medical professionals who are working to ensure that this virus is contained and that the patient is treated with the utmost care." Mayor Eric Johnson said in a statement.

fff34747-1d94-475f-b3e0-566b667bdee3_tex

Amon Carter must surely be laughing at this due to his penchant for disliking everything Dallas.  Would have been on the front page of the Star-Telegram in huge letters as well as the online version if he were still living and likely would have had an editorial with his name on it.

Monkeypox AND an incurable deadly fungus, that is transmissible, now found in Dallas. A yeast, for pity’s sake.

Untreatable ‘superbug’ fungus spreads in 2 Dallas-area hospitals, CDC says.

Spoiler

U.S. health officials said Thursday they have evidence of an untreatable “superbug” fungus spreading in two Dallas-area hospitals, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The fungus, Candida auris, is a harmful form of yeast that is considered dangerous to hospital and nursing home patients with serious medical problems. It is most deadly when it enters the bloodstream, heart or brain. Outbreaks in health care facilities have been spurred when the fungus spread through patient contact or on contaminated surfaces.

“It is a very serious infection, and if it’s in the bloodstream, it can infect all of the organs and cause multi organ failure,” said Dr. Beth Kassanoff-Piper, president of the Dallas County Medical Society. “If it infects the brain, it can certainly cause a brain infection that can make people comatose. It’s very dangerous. It’s deadly.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/news/local/article252975523.html

Edited by Willfully Horn
Space is fun, alright

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Monkeypox AND an incurable deadly fungus, that is transmissible, now found in Dallas. A yeast, for pity’s sake.

Untreatable ‘superbug’ fungus spreads in 2 Dallas-area hospitals, CDC says.

Reveal hidden contents

U.S. health officials said Thursday they have evidence of an untreatable “superbug” fungus spreading in two Dallas-area hospitals, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The fungus, Candida auris, is a harmful form of yeast that is considered dangerous to hospital and nursing home patients with serious medical problems. It is most deadly when it enters the bloodstream, heart or brain. Outbreaks in health care facilities have been spurred when the fungus spread through patient contact or on contaminated surfaces.

“It is a very serious infection, and if it’s in the bloodstream, it can infect all of the organs and cause multi organ failure,” said Dr. Beth Kassanoff-Piper, president of the Dallas County Medical Society. “If it infects the brain, it can certainly cause a brain infection that can make people comatose. It’s very dangerous. It’s deadly.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/news/local/article252975523.html

not amused GIF

• 9 months later...

What is odd about how it is being reported is it is a lot like Covid at the beginning. Isolated, hard to spread, no need to worry. Meanwhile. 

Estimates of the case-fatality rate for monkeypox in Africa vary from 1% to 15%, with the highest risk of death in young children. In one study of 300 patients in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the overall mortality rate was 10% and the mortality rate in unvaccinated children was 15-20%. (yeah, I know it is New Jersey, but first site I saw). 

https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/ah/diseases/monkeypox.html

WHO is supposed to have some statements today. Do we trust them yet? 

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I really think the primary concern is the speciesism of naming a virus "Monkey Pox" and must consolidate resources to prevent an outbreak of anti-monkey hate crimes at local zoos.

Yeah, but the monkeys at the zoo will sling shit back at them.  I'd pay to see that.

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

What is odd about how it is being reported is it is a lot like Covid at the beginning. Isolated, hard to spread, no need to worry. Meanwhile. 

I'm not going to wade through the original COVID thread, but I thought we were all pretty sure it was easy to spread, given how much the Chinese government lost their shit early on, complete with locking people into their apartments, spraying down the streets with disinfectants, etc.  Plus, we were pretty sure it had been in the US for months before shit started to shut down in February/March.

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Estimates of the case-fatality rate for monkeypox in Africa vary from 1% to 15%, with the highest risk of death in young children. In one study of 300 patients in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the overall mortality rate was 10% and the mortality rate in unvaccinated children was 15-20%. (yeah, I know it is New Jersey, but first site I saw). 

https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/ah/diseases/monkeypox.html

WHO is supposed to have some statements today. Do we trust them yet? 

My only problem with that, is that I assume the mortality rate for any disease in then Congo is going to be high, because Congo, and a lack of resources.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear