RIP Biz Markie

HenryJames

Prince Markie Dee, DMX, Shock G. 2021 has been taking some serious hip hop talent.

Just A Friend was a school bus staple on 8th grade basketball away games. Also helped me to get laid on more than a few occasions. Also loved his cover of Benny And The Jets with the Beasties.

RIP. Nobody beats The Biz.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damnit.  This bums me out so much.  

The Biz brings back so many memories of High School and growing up.  Around 1988 me and another friend of mine (he got a car before me), and we would always go to Galveston on Friday night.  We were looking for something new to listen to, and we’re really not into the hair  band scene.  On Friday nights at 7 or 8 Magic 102 would play all the new rap songs that came out, for an hour and that’s when I first heard “The Vapors.”  We were hooked.

That got us looking in to Big Daddy Kane, Marley Marl, etc, etc.

RIP to the Diabolical.

My favorite Biz Markie Track.

others

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'm glad he got a bit of a resurgence in the 2010s with his appearances on Yo Gabba Gabba. My then small children didn't understand why I was so excited when Biz would come on. 

I totally forgot about this.

Lots of late, drunk nights back in college singing Just a Friend with everyone. Many times. Many places. Didn’t matter what color your skin was, what your political beliefs you had, how much $ you had, social status etc.  You stopped what you were doing, held up your drink, put your arm around nearest person & sang it in unison. RIP Biz. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

There used to be a skating rink in San Marcos called the Coast. You could request songs for dedications and I remember dedicating “You Say He’s Just a Friend” to this skank named Brenda who I caught kissing my friend Frankie by the pool tables. Fuck you Brenda, you fucking bitch. 

Eddie? 

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

There used to be a skating rink in San Marcos called the Coast. You could request songs for dedications and I remember dedicating “You Say He’s Just a Friend” to this skank named Brenda who I caught kissing my friend Frankie by the pool tables. Fuck you Brenda, you fucking bitch. 

58 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Eddie? 

Kevin?

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm glad he got a bit of a resurgence in the 2010s with his appearances on Yo Gabba Gabba. My then small children didn't understand why I was so excited when Biz would come on. 

We took my son to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live in San Antonio like 2015'ish and Biz was there. They were pulling a bunch of kids out of the audience to go onstage and do beats with Biz. We had an aisle seat so when they walked by picking kids, they tried to get my then 4 yr old to go up but he started getting upset and didn't want to. I almost asked if I could take his place. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:09 AM, Bogeywon said:

Me: biz markie died

wife: who?

Me at the top of my lungs: OHHHHH BABY YOU GOT WHAT I NEEEEEEEED!

wife: oh

If she didn’t sing “OHHHHHH! And you say he’s just a friend…” then you should consider divorce now.