What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

48 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Whoever posted above that their upper middle class hood needs 24/7 protection by a fucking ex-SEAL, tells me all I need to know about Houston. It’s Mogadishu with shittier weather.

Seal is the name of the security company. I assume precisely to cause the confusion you have suffered. I see them patrolling at some HEBs here in SA. Usually with their head buried in their phone while walking the german shepard.

49 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Whoever posted above that their upper middle class hood needs 24/7 protection by a fucking ex-SEAL, tells me all I need to know about Houston. It’s Mogadishu with shittier weather.

Not ex-SEALs, a rent-a-cop company with a wildly inflated reputation run by a chubby dude who just uses the name for prestige. A friend of mine "served" in these SEALs. He literally drank around the clock in those days and got promoted twice in three months, not sober for a second of his working hours. 

I've moved away for reasons unrelated to crime, and in fact, there had been a long and very striking decrease over the years I lived in the southeastern corner of Timbergrove, four blocks from Kroger. 

Circa 2010-2013 or so there were shit-tons of back-door kick-in burglaries, but developers kept buying up ratty apartment complexes and tearing them down and by about 2015 you hardly every heard about break-ins at all. I belonged to several Karen groups and it virtually ceased to be a thing.

At some point Heights High School and maybe even Waltrip will turn the corner and be seen as "good" schools again...You'd think that would send home values through the roof but I just don't see how much higher they can go short-term, meaning their value is already acting like the schools are exemplary now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Calm down, Alice. 

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Not ex-SEALs, a rent-a-cop company with a wildly inflated reputation run by a chubby dude who just uses the name for prestige. A friend of mine "served" in these SEALs. He literally drank around the clock in those days and got promoted twice in three months, not sober for a second of his working hours. 

What is his surly username?

Those security officers do jack shit and no one would notice if they were gone, and I say that living in a neighborhood covered by seal.

Nice neighborhoods are low crime, poor neighborhoods are high crime. Stunning development that is surely only true in Houston!

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Seal is the name of the security company. I assume precisely to cause the confusion you have suffered. I see them patrolling at some HEBs here in SA. Usually with their head buried in their phone while walking the german shepard.

They are here at HEB dressed up like they are going to play air soft. 

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

At some point Heights High School and maybe even Waltrip will turn the corner and be seen as "good" schools again...You'd think that would send home values through the roof but I just don't see how much higher they can go short-term, meaning their value is already acting like the schools are exemplary now. 

And this is the thing. I am not trying to knock anyone here. This is just something I do not understand. At some point you have to weigh the pros and cons. What is the draw to a neighborhood like The Heights for people who are raising families? I mean, I see the cute houses and tree lined streets. I cannot see what benefit there is for the child. Schools are inferior. You cannot let your kid walk around the neighborhood. Break ins are frequent. Once a month my wife leaves our garage door open overnight because she hits the button and just walks away without hanging around to see if something is causing it to open back up. I have my hotrods in there with all their parts. TIG welder. Mig welder. Tools and toolbox. Air compressor. Engine stand. You name it. All items accounted for everytime. I can cut my daughter loose around the neighborhood. They can walk to the pool, the park, or friends' houses. Shopping is close. In fact, everything they need is right around the corner. Everyone is riding bikes and walking around out here. Children included. People don't play about the schools. My daughter's middle school counselor is a PHD. They recognize the kids' achievements with signs outside your house, academic or otherwise. That might sound dumb, but my daughter is excited about getting her signs when she gets to high school. Hey, whatever motivates her to work hard. THEY ACTUALLY PRACTICE ZONING. You want to build apartments you say? Keep it moving to the next suburb over. While the top of the burb is only around 4 million, the poor kids' neighborhood is 300k to walk into. That means all you Surly guys can afford it, but the riff-raff cannot.

Negatives? It takes 45 mins to get downtown with traffic, 35 without. The aforementioned social circles are tough to break into. Your house is likely not going to be a one-off Craftsman. While there are some mom and pops, a lot of what you will be walking into is chain. The Black People you are trying to culture your child around are going to be just as awkward about Black Culture as your kid is. Golf Karts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And this is the thing. I am not trying to knock anyone here. This is just something I do not understand. At some point you have to weigh the pros and cons. What is the draw to a neighborhood like The Heights for people who are raising families? I mean, I see the cute houses and tree lined streets. I cannot see what benefit there is for the child. Schools are inferior. You cannot let your kid walk around the neighborhood. Break ins are frequent. Once a month my wife leaves our garage door open overnight because she hits the button and just walks away without hanging around to see if something is causing it to open back up. I have my hotrods in there with all their parts. TIG welder. Mig welder. Tools and toolbox. Air compressor. Engine stand. You name it. All items accounted for everytime. I can cut my daughter loose around the neighborhood. They can walk to the pool, the park, or friends' houses. Shopping is close. In fact, everything they need is right around the corner. Everyone is riding bikes and walking around out here. Children included. 

This is the part that confuses me. I live in Montrose and there are kids and families out and about walking, biking, etc everywhere. The park by my house has people playing tennis, kids playing on the play equipment, people chilling out all the time. My wife walks our dog by herself at night all the time and has never felt unsafe. In nearly three years since we’ve been here, we’ve had no break-ins on our block. The most severe crime we’ve had is our next door neighbor had her car rifled through one time when she left it outside overnight unlocked. I know schools can be hit or miss, but as a product of AISD in Austin, I believe schools are largely what you and the parents make of it. Maybe I’m the outlier, but my experience in Houston doesn’t match the image that many have painted here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

And this is the thing. I am not trying to knock anyone here. This is just something I do not understand. At some point you have to weigh the pros and cons. What is the draw to a neighborhood like The Heights for people who are raising families? I mean, I see the cute houses and tree lined streets. I cannot see what benefit there is for the child. Schools are inferior. You cannot let your kid walk around the neighborhood. Break ins are frequent. Once a month my wife leaves our garage door open overnight because she hits the button and just walks away without hanging around to see if something is causing it to open back up. I have my hotrods in there with all their parts. TIG welder. Mig welder. Tools and toolbox. Air compressor. Engine stand. You name it. All items accounted for everytime. I can cut my daughter loose around the neighborhood. They can walk to the pool, the park, or friends' houses. Shopping is close. In fact, everything they need is right around the corner. Everyone is riding bikes and walking around out here. Children included. People don't play about the schools. My daughter's middle school counselor is a PHD. They recognize the kids' achievements with signs outside your house, academic or otherwise. That might sound dumb, but my daughter is excited about getting her signs when she gets to high school. Hey, whatever motivates her to work hard. THEY ACTUALLY PRACTICE ZONING. You want to build apartments you say? Keep it moving to the next suburb over. While the top of the burb is only around 4 million, the poor kids' neighborhood is 300k to walk into. That means all you Surly guys can afford it, but the riff-raff cannot.

Negatives? It takes 45 mins to get downtown with traffic, 35 without. The aforementioned social circles are tough to break into. Your house is likely not going to be a one-off Craftsman. While there are some mom and pops, a lot of what you will be walking into is chain. The Black People you are trying to culture your child around are going to be just as awkward about Black Culture as your kid is. Golf Karts.

This sounds pretty much like my neighborhood as well. I have to admit though, that I’m not a huge fan of the golf carts. It’s mainly because people here let their 14 & 15 year old kids drive them around loaded down with their friends. It’s annoying.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I live in a similar area in another metro area and agree 100%. And I don't doubt @royiv experience either. Like every other opinion in 'murica, we have a particular segment that feels morally superior and must constantly express that superiority by degrading anyone that does not see the world the way they do. I'm more of a live and let live and don't feel the need to virtue signal about others' choices. The great thing about America is we have lots of options and folks can find whatever works for their families. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

This is the part that confuses me. I live in Montrose and there are kids and families out and about walking, biking, etc everywhere. The park by my house has people playing tennis, kids playing on the play equipment, people chilling out all the time. My wife walks our dog by herself at night all the time and has never felt unsafe. In nearly three years since we’ve been here, we’ve had no break-ins on our block. The most severe crime we’ve had is our next door neighbor had her car rifled through one time when she left it outside overnight unlocked. I know schools can be hit or miss, but as a product of AISD in Austin, I believe schools are largely what you and the parents make of it. Maybe I’m the outlier, but my experience in Houston doesn’t match the image that many have painted here. 

Everyone has their own experience living in Houston.   Some confirm each other's experience and some are the contrary.

Shit, I was living a block from the Sears and Fiesta in Midtown for 2 years - used to walk my dog all over that part of Midtown, even at night, and take the Red Line to work downtown (from Wheeler Station, holla).  Never had a single problem.  This was pre-Axelrad and shit; it has changed a lot since 2015 when I moved out.

Also have lived in Garden Oaks before it really blew up (moved out in 2017), Southside Place and Rice Military and never had any issues anywhere I lived in Houston. 

Edited by Js1

This is the real reason I continue to control my empire from the world HQ here in Space City, America.  It’s all about the news stories. The important news stories that get down and address the soul of a man and pertinent issues of the day. 

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Central Houston isn't affordable for middle class but I don't know who was arguing that it was. Any place you live has its pros and cons. If you live in central Houston, you are most likely sacrificing money and perhaps safety for location. Even the person that pays $4m in River Oaks can get a sweeter house in Humble built for $2m. But they've decided that they like central Houston and what it offers to them.

I've been in central Houston for over 10 years and I would struggle today to buy in my neighborhood if I brought the same down payment to the table that I had when I bought. Homes have appreciated a great deal. The potential appreciation here is a draw for some especially if you don't have kids. If I was buying right now, I (without kids) would look at some areas that still have a rough edge to them. The rougher edges almost always soften and there is more technology today to help with security.

Financial ROI is a big deal for me.  I like that on paper, my home has appreciated annually by 5% and that includes the 2008-09 drop. I have friends in the suburbs that have been lucky to see a 1% annual gain. Admittedly even their homes have appreciated much more in the last 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

You grew up in Austin, and Austin was pretty segregated when you were there. By and large, if you were on the Westside you were good to go. Meanwhile, those kids on the Eastside were living a totally different reality. So how YOU feel about city life, and how THEY feel about it are two contrasting opinions.

HISD schools are made up of upper middle class to rich white kids, and the poor ethnic kids from the low income pockets that get pooled into the same schools with them. So my well-to-do kid is going to get pushed into the low income social circle due to her ethnicity, and have a completely different experience than your kid.

Let me reverse it for you. Imagine Montrose was a neighborhood full of affluent Black people. You decided to move there because it was a nice neighborhood. However, Lamar High School also pulled from border neighborhoods that were full of White West Virginia types. Knowing that your kid was going to get pushed into those social circles, would you still move there and be tooting the, "school is what you make it" horn? You can admit that you wouldn't. After all, we are all looking for the same thing.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This sounds pretty much like my neighborhood as well. I have to admit though, that I’m not a huge fan of the golf carts. It’s mainly because people here let their 14 & 15 year old kids drive them around loaded down with their friends. It’s annoying.

Lol. That's why I put down golf karts as a negative. These damn no driving kids and there 10 friends all loaded up on their golf carts. Little bastards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Ive lived in the Heights for the past 6 years and never once had an issue with break ins or feeling unsafe. The actual heights (east of shepherd, north of i-10, south of 610, and west of i45 and north main) is safe as shit. I live in woodland heights. In the leader a few months ago, they had listed only one home break in for all of woodland heights in 2020. West of shepherd, especially between shepherd and tc jester is mostly shitty, especially closer to Eureka heights brewing area. Its basically a crappier version of Washington ave. There is virtually no crime in the other parts of the actual heights

I have twin 5 year year olds and  6 week old. The twins will start at Travis elementary next month, which is a fantastic school. Harvard elementary is also outstanding. Hogg middle school is solid (which is what they feed into) and Heights High School is your average city high school (and will likely be better in 9 years when my kids get there). Hell, i dont want my kids going to an outstanding or super large high school because studies have statistically shown if you are white and middle class, going to an average high school will likely get you into a better college if you stay on top of your kids. 

It takes me 15 minutes to get to work in the morning. Hell, it takes me 15 minutes to get anywhere. Commuting an extra hour or two a day is for the birds. Fuck that. To each their own i guess

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol. Ive lived in the Heights for the past 6 years and never once had an issue with break ins or feeling unsafe. The actual heights (east of shepherd, north of i-10, south of 610, and west of i45 and north main) is safe as shit. I live in woodland heights. In the leader a few months ago, they had listed only one home break in for all of woodland heights in 2020. West of shepherd, especially between shepherd and tc jester is mostly shitty, especially closer to Eureka heights brewing area. Its basically a crappier version of Washington ave. There is virtually no crime in the other parts of the actual heights

Just pointing out this is your experience (and maybe many others), but not everyone's. Have a friend and he and his family live in the woodland heights area and have for close to a decade.  Several years ago - drug deal gone bad (or so we were told) led to some sort of drive by shooting on his street and he ended up with a couple bullets in his house.  Luckily no one got hit.

When I lived in Midtown maybe 8 years back you just accepted your cars were getting broken into so you were better off leaving them unlocked with nothing inside so the windows didn't get broken. 

I still think the danger of living inner city is overblown these days though for the most part, but I have zero concern about something like that in my neighborhood.

And for the record - you can live in very expensive parts of Austin and still have these same issues.  Only in Austin - after they steal your shit, they get put up in a homeless camp with hot showers, meals and security of their own. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

This is the real reason I continue to control my empire from the world HQ here in Space City, America.  It’s all about the news stories. The important news stories that get down and address the soul of a man and pertinent issues of the day. 

LOL.  "There's no such thing as stripper refunds."  "How do I get my booty and boobs back"  

Interesting thread to read as a native Houstonian.

I grew up on the West side (Briar Forest/Dairy Ashford)area in the 80's and it was a great place to grow up.  It seems like it's kept it's place as fairly solid middle class...at least based on zillow.  Houses in my old hood range from $260-$480K

I live in Montrose with my wife now and we love it.  No kids, so no need to worry about schools.  If we had kids though, I would be ok with them going to LanierMS and on to Lamar.

We are both itching to leave for reasons not related to crime or anything.  We routinely walk around Montrose at night and have never felt unsafe.  We have car break ins and crackheads/homeless running around...we chalk it up to living in the heart of a city of 6M people.

Also I wonder what part the news/social media/Nextdoor etc play in the "crime explosion"?  Reading our neighborhood Next-door page, you'd think we live in the "Nickel".  

Bunch of old biddies clutching their pearls...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Just pointing out this is your experience (and maybe many others), but not everyone's. Have a friend and he and his family live in the woodland heights area and have for close to a decade.  Several years ago - drug deal gone bad (or so we were told) led to some sort of drive by shooting on his street and he ended up with a couple bullets in his house.  Luckily no one got hit.

When I lived in Midtown maybe 8 years back you just accepted your cars were getting broken into so you were better off leaving them unlocked with nothing inside so the windows didn't get broken. 

I still think the danger of living inner city is overblown these days though for the most part, but I have zero concern about something like that in my neighborhood.

And for the record - you can live in very expensive parts of Austin and still have these same issues.  Only in Austin - after they steal your shit, they get put up in a homeless camp with hot showers, meals and security of their own. 

Curious to know what street in woodland heights

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We aren’t going anywhere. My wife loves her job and company. If things hadn’t gotten turned upside down by COVID, we likely would have gone to Cypress. Closer to family, better schools. However, we are in CFISD now, but I am not big on our hood (even though it hasn’t flooded). I also need a study (I’m the only male in the house and need a get away. Also have a lot of art that isn’t allowed to be hung in the house).

Sheet rock and insulate your garage.  Get some insulated panels that you can pop into your garage door.  Add a window unit to the backside (so it is not visible).  Boom, you have your space.  I did it and have a tv, treadmill, and small bar/work bench.  About to tear it down, build out to my patio and connect it all as a garage and garage apartment/office.  But doing the garage like I did 10 years ago was a nice stop gate to me having my own space.

And that window unit keeps the garage cold as shit -- mid 60s during hot summer days.

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Those security officers do jack shit and no one would notice if they were gone, and I say that living in a neighborhood covered by seal.

Nice neighborhoods are low crime, poor neighborhoods are high crime. Stunning development that is surely only true in Houston!

I disagree.  Their presence has made a huge difference in our neighborhood.  I am not contending they are some kind of badasses.  But I have lived in Afton Oaks for 15 years.  The first probably 10 or so we had off duty HPD patrolling.  I swear I saw them maybe once a month.  I see Seal constantly.  And they are armed and do have K9.  We went from having a home break in about every couple months to maybe one per year.  The constant presence helps.  Criminals really don't want a dog getting after their ass.

You grew up in Austin, and Austin was pretty segregated when you were there. By and large, if you were on the Westside you were good to go. Meanwhile, those kids on the Eastside were living a totally different reality. So how YOU feel about city life, and how THEY feel about it are two contrasting opinions.

HISD schools are made up of upper middle class to rich white kids, and the poor ethnic kids from the low income pockets that get pooled into the same schools with them. So my well-to-do kid is going to get pushed into the low income social circle due to her ethnicity, and have a completely different experience than your kid.

Let me reverse it for you. Imagine Montrose was a neighborhood full of affluent Black people. You decided to move there because it was a nice neighborhood. However, Lamar High School also pulled from border neighborhoods that were full of White West Virginia types. Knowing that your kid was going to get pushed into those social circles, would you still move there and be tooting the, "school is what you make it" horn? You can admit that you wouldn't. After all, we are all looking for the same thing.

From a broad stroke, you definitely have a point that I can understand. From a personal experience standpoint, I somewhat disagree. I went to Martin JH before East Austin was gentrified and have the distinction of being a graduate of Johnston HS, a school that was forced to close for academic non-performance by TEA shortly after I graduated. I feel like going to those schools actually made me a better person in the long run. It has certainly made me more understanding of folks that grew up in different backgrounds than I did.

Edited by royiv

38 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Interesting thread to read as a native Houstonian.

I grew up on the West side (Briar Forest/Dairy Ashford)area in the 80's and it was a great place to grow up.  It seems like it's kept it's place as fairly solid middle class...at least based on zillow.  Houses in my old hood range from $260-$480K

I live in Montrose with my wife now and we love it.  No kids, so no need to worry about schools.  If we had kids though, I would be ok with them going to LanierMS and on to Lamar.

We are both itching to leave for reasons not related to crime or anything.  We routinely walk around Montrose at night and have never felt unsafe.  We have car break ins and crackheads/homeless running around...we chalk it up to living in the heart of a city of 6M people.

Also I wonder what part the news/social media/Nextdoor etc play in the "crime explosion"?  Reading our neighborhood Next-door page, you'd think we live in the "Nickel".  

Bunch of old biddies clutching their pearls...

If you read Nextdoor you would think we live in Baghdad. Had the same issue when I lived in a Phoenix neighborhood where median price of a home is nearly $500/sf.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I disagree.  Their presence has made a huge difference in our neighborhood.  I am not contending they are some kind of badasses.  But I have lived in Afton Oaks for 15 years.  The first probably 10 or so we had off duty HPD patrolling.  I swear I saw them maybe once a month.  I see Seal constantly.  And they are armed and do have K9.  We went from having a home break in about every couple months to maybe one per year.  The constant presence helps.  Criminals really don't want a dog getting after their ass.

Private security can work and it can't work. I assume it's all about presence. A thief wants that 15-20 (whatever?)  minutes to break-in, grab everything and get out. I imagine their big fear is for a security guard/cop to block them on the driveway.  

Basically it comes down to how much the neighborhood can afford or willing to pay to provide that presence.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Private security can work and it can't work. I assume it's all about presence. A thief wants that 15-20 (whatever?)  minutes to break-in, grab everything and get out. I imagine their big fear is for a security guard/cop to block them on the driveway.  

Basically it comes down to how much the neighborhood can afford or willing to pay to provide that presence.

Yep.  Our neighborhood is small.  There is 24 hour patrol.  A thief has a bad chance of getting caught.  I am not claiming the rent a cop is some badass.  The two I see the most are fit.  They are armed.  And they do have a German Shepherd.  It has made a big, big difference in our neighborhood.

One thing funny about being Black in these suburbs. I recently sacked our lawn company because they've steadily been on the decline. I look over and realize my daughter is 13, and it's high time she learned to do some work around this place. So I walk upstairs and tell her she is our new lawn service. She scoffs as she is leaning back stuffing her face, with her feet up, in our theater room. The screen is on, and instead she is watching tik-tok videos, the little spoiled bastard.

I show her how to mow, and she is off and running. I pull the edger out and start on it. People in the neighborhood are steadily walking by, and I wave like a friendly neighbor should. However, I can tell by their facial expression they are thinking, "Why is the guy from the lawn service waving at me?".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 5:48 PM, Thatguy said:

Knowing that your kid was going to get pushed into those social circles, would you still move there and be tooting the, "school is what you make it" horn?

Yes.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

One thing funny about being Black in these suburbs. I recently sacked our lawn company because they've steadily been on the decline. I look over and realize my daughter is 13, and it's high time she learned to do some work around this place. So I walk upstairs and tell her she is our new lawn service. She scoffs as she is leaning back stuffing her face, with her feet up, in our theater room. The screen is on, and instead she is watching tik-tok videos, the little spoiled bastard.

I show her how to mow, and she is off and running. I pull the edger out and start on it. People in the neighborhood are steadily walking by, and I wave like a friendly neighbor should. However, I can tell by their facial expression they are thinking, "Why is the guy from the lawn service waving at me?".

Funny I get a look of anger from my neighbors when I’m mowing. But it’s probably related to only mowing once per month when they have their service mow every 4-5 days.

hats off to you in getting your daughter to help. I have friends with teenage boys and they’re too busy with sports or video games so they hire lawn services. My thought is that they have 5+ years of built in lawn service. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Funny I get a look of anger from my neighbors when I’m mowing. But it’s probably related to only mowing once per month when they have their service mow every 4-5 days.

hats off to you in getting your daughter to help. I have friends with teenage boys and they’re too busy with sports or video games so they hire lawn services. My thought is that they have 5+ years of built in lawn service. 

She is a busy athlete too. Last week we had volleyball open gym Monday from 8am-9:30am. We turned around and had volleyball again at 2pm-4pm. She had it Tues - Thursday from 2-4pm, again. We had her at UH's volleyball college ID hitting and defensive camp on Friday from 9am-5pm. Saturday she was off and in the pool with her friends. Yesterday she had hitting and passing sessions from 3:30-6:30pm. We are trying to teach her to work hard. Hopefully it pays off.

Also, I am not sure where you are at, but here in Houston it's raining so much that the grass is growing like wildfire. If you even try to cut biweekly you will have knee length grass. Lol.

45 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I honestly have never seen a black person working as a landscaper in Houston.  Any chance you look more Hispanic than black?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes.

You are better than me. One thing growing up in the hood taught me is that you are just as much a product of your environment as you are coaching. I got extremely lucky as I was riding along when some ill stuff went down but somehow didn't get caught. Had it just gone slightly different all my opportunities are down the drain.

Edited by Thatguy

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I honestly have never seen a black person working as a landscaper in Houston.  Any chance you look more Hispanic than black?

My skin color could easily be confused for the skin color of a Hispanic lawn worker who has been in the sun a lot, especially when I am wearing a hat. My height and size is a different story. Most lawn guys aren't 6'2 230lbs, but when looking from a distance maybe I look smaller.

I’d have to buy a mower and trimmer to get my son to mow. When we first moved to Houston, I mowed my own lawn. There was one time I couldn’t mow in time as we were having a party so I called a landscaper. He charged my $30 for a corner lot. I haven’t mowed since and that was 12 years ago. Maybe I should get my son to do it now. He already knows when he turns 15 that he is getting a summer job.

My skin color could easily be confused for the skin color of a Hispanic lawn worker who has been in the sun a lot, especially when I am wearing a hat. My height and size is a different story. Most lawn guys aren't 6'2 230lbs, but when looking from a distance maybe I look smaller.

Everyone looks smaller from a distance.

Why didn't you tell us you were black initially? 😆

However, I can tell by their facial expression they are thinking, "Why is the guy from the lawn service waving at me?".

I live down the street from Hart Lee Dykes. His kids do the lawn like 2x a week. His yard is fucking fantastic.  

She is a busy athlete too. Last week we had volleyball open gym Monday from 8am-9:30am. We turned around and had volleyball again at 2pm-4pm. She had it Tues - Thursday from 2-4pm, again. We had her at UH's volleyball college ID hitting and defensive camp on Friday from 9am-5pm. Saturday she was off and in the pool with her friends. Yesterday she had hitting and passing sessions from 3:30-6:30pm. We are trying to teach her to work hard. Hopefully it pays off.

Also, I am not sure where you are at, but here in Houston it's raining so much that the grass is growing like wildfire. If you even try to cut biweekly you will have knee length grass. Lol.

I live in Houston too, and it definitely has needed more mowing this year. When I could actually get out there to mow. I refuse to mow when there are standing puddles.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off too if a neighbor of mine only mowed once a month.

Show some pride, man.

I'm slightly exaggerating with the once per month. One thing in my favor is my lawn is the 3rd worst in a 8 house area. As long as you're not the slowest, the bear always has someone else to catch first.

Seriously I used to care more about my lawn. Now not so much. I have learned that if I avoid fertilizing, the lawn isn't as green but it doesn't grow as fast.

• Like 2

How to say you're super rich without saying you're super rich, LOL.

There are black lawn guys all over the working/lower class parts of Houston

I’d have to buy a mower and trimmer to get my son to mow. When we first moved to Houston, I mowed my own lawn. There was one time I couldn’t mow in time as we were having a party so I called a landscaper. He charged my $30 for a corner lot. I haven’t mowed since and that was 12 years ago. Maybe I should get my son to do it now. He already knows when he turns 15 that he is getting a summer job.
My first real summer job was mowing fields. From 14-16, I think I charged $10-$12/hr. I'd mow from sun up to noon. And then go back in the evenings until dark.

Even after I a legit tax paying job, I still mowed on evenings and weekends. I thought I had it made.

5 hours ago, Hate said:

That's what I had to do. Years ago I hired a lawn guy on a whim, and my lawn equipment was just sitting there ever since. I bought a new mower, edger, and weed eater.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

How to say you're super rich without saying you're super rich, LOL.

There are black lawn guys all over the working/lower class parts of Houston

I wouldn’t say that. I’m not rich at all and I can’t remember the last AA lawn guy I’ve seen. That is in no way a knock on anyone, I’ve just never seen it.  We do have the same 3-4 crews that just stay in the hood it seems.