What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

59 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I was merely pointing out that there is a reason certain incorporated towns like Memorial (Piney Point and Hedwig) have it figured out compared to greater Houston.

You left out Bunker Hill, Piney Point, Hilshire Village, and Spring Valley.  My first house after I graduated college was in Spring Valley.  It was pretty much a working class place, definitely not rich by any means.  Police still had great response time.  You sure didn’t want to speed through it without a resident sticker on your car.

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I assume Houston wouldn't allow any neighborhood in the city to do that today.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LG/htm/LG.7.htm

Sec. 7.001. AUTHORITY TO INCORPORATE AS TYPE B GENERAL-LAW MUNICIPALITY. A community may incorporate under this chapter as a Type B general-law municipality if it:

(1) constitutes an unincorporated town or village;

(2) contains 201 to 9,999 inhabitants; and

(3) meets the territorial requirements prescribed by Section 5.901.

Negative. You have to incorporate before the big city gobbles you up. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You left out Bunker Hill, Piney Point, Hilshire Village, and Spring Valley.  My first house after I graduated college was in Spring Valley.  It was pretty much a working class place, definitely not rich by any means.  Police still had great response time.  You sure didn’t want to speed through it without a resident sticker on your car.

Where is Spring Valley?

1 hour ago, huge said:

North of I-10 but zoned to Memorial HS.

Got it. I might have had a friend who lived there then while they were building their condo (penthouse in the Houstonian). It was a big house off of Voss north of the Freeway (what is that Wirt?_). This was way back before Spring Branch was closed - all the way back to when Fatjo built the Houstonian. It was a nice neighborhood but I didn't know it had a name.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah uh, spring branch and spring valley are very little like the villages south of i10

Parts of Spring Branch are getting more and more like the Villages. It will never make it all the way there because SB is such a huge area, but certain neighborhoods on the south and east of the area can fool you into thinking you were in Memorial.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Got it. I might have had a friend who lived there then while they were building their condo (penthouse in the Houstonian). It was a big house off of Voss north of the Freeway (what is that Wirt?_). This was way back before Spring Branch was closed - all the way back to when Fatjo built the Houstonian. It was a nice neighborhood but I didn't know it had a name.

Voss is Bingle north of I10.  There is a neighborhood right there called Brighton Place that is in Spring Valley and the homes there are currently in the $1 million range.  I lived there way back in the day with the first ex.  I wish I had held on to that house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, huge said:

Close to a million.

I really don't think so.  There are some nice neighborhoods with houses in the $1 million range, and a lot of new development of those three story small footprint things that are probably in the $700K range, but there are quite a few neighborhoods where the houses are probably in the $400k range 

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Voss is Bingle north of I10.  There is a neighborhood right there called Brighton Place that is in Spring Valley and the homes there are currently in the $1 million range.  I lived there way back in the day with the first ex.  I wish I had held on to that house.

Shit happens. My first home which sucked was a few blocks from the beach in Northern Cali. That house is worth about 8X what I paid for it. It would have made a pretty nice vacation home or I could have sold it now and retired off of it.

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Damn, my brother lives off Beinhorn: I should know that. I was thinking Bingle was Voss south of Westheimer. You can tell I don't visit there too much.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I really don't think so.  There are some nice neighborhoods with houses in the $1 million range, and a lot of new development of those three story small footprint things that are probably in the $700K range, but there are quite a few neighborhoods where the houses are probably in the $400k range 

Shit I was wrong.  That place has exploded.  Even the shitty little houses are $700k now.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Like anywhere, Houston real estate finds relatively inexpensive places and makes it expensive.

I don't think it's difficult to earn a pretty penny by buying and sitting, if you're halfway smart about it. The only question is how long does it take.

They don’t make new land. Healthy GDP growth is around 2%. Average home appreciates 3.5 to 3.8 percent per year. But in Houston, I would think that is loosely tied to the health of OG, less so than in the past though. 

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So it’s fair to say that any good zones to memorial high school is decidedly not working class (any longer) and likely out of the price range of the middle class family with a couple of kids.

Correct.  If Memorial is a priority you can still find apartments that are affordable enough...but a house with a yard?  No.

58 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Houses off of Westview are blowing up in value too. Ask anybody selling or buying a home Houston, schools drive the bus on home prices. 

Memorial talk aside, I would at least recommend living in a neighborhood patrolled by the Constables or Harris County Sheriffs. HPD was/is/will always be worthless. 

• Like 1

About to be no such thing as a middle class pretty soon.

Regardless. A household of 4, with maybe one car paid off, the other a couple years left. $1500 in daycare/after school programs, etc with an income of say $175-225k will likely not want to be stretched so thin to buy a $700k house. So they are off to the dreaded burbs. I think my point still stands that this class of folks (whatever they are called) can’t afford Houston. To me that makes Houston unaffordable to most people. Not saying it’s at the same level as other expensive cities, just saying. Do y’all disagree with that?

6 minutes ago, huge said:

Correct.  If Memorial is a priority you can still find apartments that are affordable enough...but a house with a yard?  No.

When I moved back into the city I went for a house zoned to Stratford.  You could still find some bargains zoned there and it's a very good school.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Regardless. A household of 4, with maybe one car paid off, the other a couple years left. $1500 in daycare/after school programs, etc with an income of say $175-225k will likely not want to be stretched so thin to buy a $700k house. So they are off to the dreaded burbs. I think my point still stands that this class of folks (whatever they are called) can’t afford Houston. To me that makes Houston unaffordable to most people. Not saying it’s at the same level as other expensive cities, just saying. Do y’all disagree with that?

I would agree that someone in that situation earning 200K cannot afford a 700K house. But someone doesn't have a right to live wherever they want if they don't have the income.

But someone with a 200K salary can still live close into the city. It's not impossible to live in Oak Forest or surrounding neighborhoods comfortably with that salary. You won't get that beautiful, new 3,000 sq ft home but you can live in the neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 1

$200k is top ten percent of household incomes in Houston. No, they’re not about to go buy Joel Osteen’s house straight cash but aside from those most exclusively wealthy neighborhoods they can basically live wherever they want.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Does anyone know how accurate those Zillow prices are?

I believe the for-sale amounts are accurate. The value of the other homes are questionable. It's a subset of 1, but I don't think I could sell my home for what Zillow says. And I'm not saying that from a standpoint of trying to pay lower property taxes. I think Zillow is overpricing my home by 10-15%.

I would agree that someone in that situation earning 200K cannot afford a 700K house. But someone doesn't have a right to live wherever they want if they don't have the income.
But someone with a 200K salary can still live close into the city. It's not impossible to live in Oak Forest or surrounding neighborhoods comfortably with that salary. You won't get that beautiful, new 3,000 sq ft home but you can live in the neighborhood.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying it’s anyone’s right to. Economics is economics. But people want to claim Houston is affordable. But affordable for who?

I lived in Oak Forest. Unless you got in 10-15 years ago, I highly doubt someone from that class is buying a house zoned to Oak Forest Elementary. You are talking the “oak forest” west of the bayou. Definitely not the same as the schools in oak forest proper. So yeah, maybe if someone doesn’t have kids or just doesn’t care. And again, it’s not about right to or whatever. But when someone says to me “oh, such and such city is affordable”, my inclination is someone like myself, or maybe someone who makes a little less with a couple of kids can buy a house and have a decent school and not have to worry too much about crime. Not utopia, that doesn’t exist.

My main point is, Houston proper is not that affordable.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying it’s anyone’s right to. Economics is economics. But people want to claim Houston is affordable. But affordable for who?

I lived in Oak Forest. Unless you got in 10-15 years ago, I highly doubt someone from that class is buying a house zoned to Oak Forest Elementary. You are talking the “oak forest” west of the bayou. Definitely not the same as the schools in oak forest proper. So yeah, maybe if someone doesn’t have kids or just doesn’t care. And again, it’s not about right to or whatever. But when someone says to me “oh, such and such city is affordable”, my inclination is someone like myself, or maybe someone who makes a little less with a couple of kids can buy a house and have a decent school and not have to worry too much about crime. Not utopia, that doesn’t exist.

My main point is, Houston proper is not that affordable.

I'm not saying I would want to live there, but there is new construction on Pinemont under 500K. Yep, in the middle of the industrial section between Alba and TC Jester. Gated community. 3b/3b under 500K. Zoned to Oak Forest Elementary/Black/Waltrip.  

https://www.pulte.com/homes/texas/houston/houston/oak-forest-manor-210321 (homes listed more on HAR.com than on their website.)

I'm not saying I would want to live there, but there is new construction on Pinemont under 500K. Yep, in the middle of the industrial section between Alba and TC Jester. Gated community. 3b/3b under 500K. Zoned to Oak Forest Elementary/Black/Waltrip.  
https://www.pulte.com/homes/texas/houston/houston/oak-forest-manor-210321 (homes listed more on HAR.com than on their website.)

The price surprises me, but I suppose the location dictates that. Lots of beautiful views I am sure. But alas, I think snacks lives nearby. No go.
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

245 a sq foot to live off of pinemont? Jesus

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My regarded realtor kept sending me houses off of Pinemont when we were looking. It got to the point where I had to politely ask her to stop. Cheap piece of shit houses in little pocket communities with HOA fees that were $200-300 a month. No thanks. 

Nothing is walkable up there. It is in an industrial area and it's getting up there on 290. The closest thing to night life is Sassafras which is a cool spot, but definitely a dive bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know this thread has turned to real estate...but this shit is unacceptable.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/westheimer-shooting-houston-police/285-b8b1e49e-d4d7-4303-a403-053020f34048

This guy lived down the street from some friends.

We have friends that live in Briar Meadow and we are over there almost every weekend and have seen the turds up and down Westheimer on their ATVs and dirt bikes...doing wheelies and shit.  Blocking intersections to do donuts, etc.  

How the cops don't do anything about it is insane to me.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/westheimer-shooting-houston-police/285-b8b1e49e-d4d7-4303-a403-053020f34048

We have friends that live in Briar Meadow and we are over there almost every weekend and have seen the turds up and down Westheimer on their ATVs and dirt bikes...doing wheelies and shit.  Blocking intersections to do donuts, etc.  

I skimmed the story and assumed it was farther out Westheimer and probably like 3am. Damn, it was basically at Westheimer and Fondren at 7pm on a Friday. That could have been any of us at that point. Scary.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I am building off of Silber, but south of Westview and zoned to MHS...Houses on my street are selling for 1.5 and there is a new build under contract at 1.6. I could sell in the 1.6-1.7 range according to a realtor who has a buyer. We are thinking about it. Just my .02

• Like 1

Those guys have been doing that on Westheimer for a while now, it’s not hard to find them. Of course the news won’t say, but it’s black guys (no CR, just the facts) who are the suspects & who ride the dirt bikes & 4 wheelers all over. Shit the other week had a guy get on I-10 on the East side of downtown on a 4 wheeler weaving in & out of traffic. Good friend just moved from Briar Meadow to Spring Valley, said he doesn’t miss the gun shots every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I skimmed the story and assumed it was farther out Westheimer and probably like 3am. Damn, it was basically at Westheimer and Fondren at 7pm on a Friday. That could have been any of us at that point. Scary.

Right in front of Molina's on Westheimer of which I am an occasional Sunday afternoon bar denizen.

Wow.

• Hook 'Em 2