What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'm sorry life amongst human beings is so scary, you need 3 loops to protect you.   Maybe in 5 years, you'll need to move north of Conroe to feel safe. 

I didn't move here to feel safe.  I moved here because it was close to where I worked at the time and very close to where my wife works still.  It is also very close to the MIL which has always come in handy for babysitting.  I love the inner loop neighborhoods and would love to live in a "walkable" area of a town.  My wife and I have discussed this idea many times as we approach the empty nest years.  It just cracks me up when people complain about crime in an urban setting.  It's just part of living in that area.  We don't have homeless people here, there are no car jackings, and very few if any burglaries.  I could park my car in my driveway and not worry about it getting broken into.  I just can't walk to restaurants or bars, which does kind of suck.  Oh well, I'll just continue to take Ubers when I am out drinking and living in area with little to no crime.

At the Janet Jackson Super Bowl, the NFL put the Patriots up at a swanky Galleria hotel (The InterContinental, now rebranded in some upmarket chain) and stuck the Panthers at the Wyndham Greenspoint, now re-branded as some off-brand joint.

As an AFC host city, that was the second time Houston dicked the NFC over. At the Dolphins-Vikings Super Bowl, Miami got to use the Oilers practice facility and the the poor Vikings were relegated to fucking Delmar Stadium. (If you don't know, that's one of HISD's battered old stadiums which by January had probably been the scene of 150 games in the past three months. Playing there late in the year is like playing in a parking lot, and the facilities were like a poorly run prison. Bud Grant told the media it was worse than most junior high facilities all the way around.) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve been in Houston for 25+ years and never had a car broken into. It has happened to me in Austin. Crime is everywhere.

I also grew up in Houston and lived ITL 2013-19 and never had a car broken into. Or any crime committed on me.  I’ve only known 2 people in those 6 years who had their cars broken into 

I agree with Greenspoint. I’d rather worry about crime than commute 45-120 min each way. Fuck that noise. 

Edited by Js1

My car was broken into at the Twin Peaks on I10 at lunch this summer.  Not in the back lot, in one of the front spots, right behind the SMILE YOU ARE ON CAMERA sigh.

<narrator> there was no camera <narrator>

Then again I stupidly thought my computer bag would be safe on my front seat on the I10 frontage road.

The only time my car was actually broken into was living in Austin. And that includes the many years I lived in midtown/Washington area.

I do think crime has gotten worse here lately though, and likely a result of the PR bonds and newly elected judges, though that’s a discussion for a different forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Woman lights gaming machine on fire after losing, shot by fellow gamer who can’t play anymore, HPD says

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/11/23/just-wild-woman-loses-on-gaming-machine-lights-it-on-fire-then-is-shot-by-fellow-gamer-who-cant-play-anymore-hpd-says/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2

I couldn’t decide if this deserved to be in this thread or news stories that make you think of surly.

• 3 weeks later...

Houston Chronicle: Man attacks bailiff, punches Houston judge in fit of courtroom rage

Joseph Catarineau appeared in the 182nd District Court Tuesday for a routine hearing related to fraud charges — a relatively low-level, non-violent crime.

But when he was denied bail, Catarineau attacked a courtroom bailiff, witnesses said, throwing the proceedings into chaos — and prompting Judge Danny Lacayo to rush from the bench to subdue him.

The fracas occurred about 9:30 a.m., shortly after Catarineau arrived in court. Catarineau, 58, was charged in 2018 with saying falsely on financial statements — over a wage dispute — that he’d worked for American Airlines and Envoy Air and the businesses owed him money.

Court records show Catarineau worked as a pilot for Envoy Air until he was fired in 2017 for “erratic behavior.” He claimed he was a “sovereign citizen” and did not have to pay income taxes to the federal government. He ran afoul of the law after filing a $37 million lien against American Airlines in 2019 in which he claimed to have provided labor, materials, and services on 50 airplanes, despite the fact that as a pilot, he did not do any of those things. Months later, he filed a similar lien, citing services on dozens of other aircraft — which was also groundless, according to the records.

According to courtroom witnesses, the trouble began shortly after Lacayo asked Catarineau if he wanted to hire an attorney. (Court records show Catarineau’s lawyer, David Kiatta, asked Lacayo on Dec. 13 for permission to withdraw from the case.)

Catarineau began mouthing off to Lacayo, said Daniel Glasscock, who was in the courtroom for his own case.

Lacayo ordered Catarineau held without bond, and ordered a deputy serving as a bailiff to take him into custody. Catarineau grabbed the deputy’s ponytail and yanked her to the ground and began punching her, witnesses said.

“You can’t even see this s—t in CourtTV,” Glasscock said. “I was stunned.”

Jacob Salinas, a prosecutor who works in the 182nd, rushed to intervene and began scuffling with Catarineau as Lacayo ran down from the bench to help.

“He was just whaling on her,” he said. “So I tried to jump in.”

A former lineman on his college football team, Salinas — along with Lacayo — tackled Catarineau. The deputy pulled out a Taser, at which point the defendant broke away from the two and knocked the Taser out of her hand and then started trading blows with Salinas and Lacayo. Salinas was focused on making sure Catarineau didn’t get control of the deputy’s stungun or sidearm, he said.

As the prosecutor and Lacayo subdued Catarineau, the deputy shot the defendant with her stungun, Salinas said. Because they were holding him down to the floor, the charge ended up shocking them as well, he said.

It is the second time Lacayo has tangled with a defendant. In 2018, while still working as a public defender, Lacayo was attacked during a courthouse meeting by a man he was representing. The man was found not competent to stand trial in 2019 and, earlier this year, ordered committed to a mental hospital.

TL:DR - sovereign citizen goes aggroid in District Court and attacked a deputy starting a brawl with his judge and several officers of the court. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

22 times ?

Someone fucked up or they’re sending a message 

Someone she knows, lot of passion/hatred indicated by shooting her 22 times.  Heard somewhere she had been arguing with an ex boyfriend prior to walking the dog.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The bastard that shot the 15yo has already been released on $250000 bond, and a 17 year old was shot and killed walking alongside a bayou last night... Houston WTFIWWY

when the cops showed up, he was packing a bag, he was gtfo. that bond was too low

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Kim Ogg doing Ogg stuff.  I wonder if someone has gone to the trouble to document all the violence and murder a committed by those released on bond.

I’m no fan of Kim Ogg; however, it is my understanding that the DA’s office does not set bail and that is at the discretion of the criminal court judge.  Of course, the DA’s office can try to influence a judge as best they can  with regard to bond. 

Tell me if I’m wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m no fan of Kim Ogg; however, it is my understanding that the DA’s office does not set bail and that is at the discretion of the criminal court judge.  Of course, the DA’s office can try to influence a judge as best they can  with regard to bond. 

Tell me if I’m wrong.  

That's the way it is on Law & Order. Dun-Dun.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Tell me if I’m wrong.  

I think you’re right. Kim Ogg has worked to increase the amount and type of offenders that are released on PR bonds, though the ire here should be pointed at the judge. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I think you’re right. Kim Ogg has worked to increase the amount and type of offenders that are released on PR bonds, though the ire here should be pointed at the judge. 

George Soros did not spend $1.4 million on her campaign for nothing.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/harris-county-da-kim-ogg-primary-challengers/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

The first guy in that article was on bond for terroristic threat, which in most cases is a Class B misdemeanor, one rung above a traffic ticket.  And, despite its scary-sounding name, requires the threat to be less "imminent" than an assault, which is a different, and more serious crime.

Even with a serious criminal history, I'm not sure how you justify a big bond for a class B misdemeanor.

The second case seems like a huge fuckup by the judge or some combination of people.

And, yes, the state/DA argues for bail conditions or no bail, usually, but it is up to the judge.  Without knowing what the state argued, you can't really pin the blame on the DA for insufficient bail.

The bottom line is that most of these "oh lawd, murder out on bail" cases are irreparably infected with hindsight bias.  Also know that most bail decisions are made in about 10 minutes in a cattle call situation with dozens of defendants before the court.  There are lots of fuckups that are not traceable to any one thing.

Also worth noting that Harris County's bail system was recently ruled unconstitutional by the 5th Circuit, specifically because it denied judges discretion in setting or granting bail.  So Harris County has been starting from scratch, so to speak and there is inherently more room for judicial fuckups in the new scheme.

Edited by TwiceHorn

44 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

George Soros did not spend $1.4 million on her campaign for nothing.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/harris-county-da-kim-ogg-primary-challengers/

Why the "FU" @Captainant ?  If Soros provided funds for Ogg's campaign and JSack merely points it out then why you so mad? 

Facts are facts, aren't they? 

If you pointed out similar campaign contributions from the right for a particular candidate that became the officeholder, would you expect an in kind response?

Folks get so worked up nowadays.  Calm down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Why the "FU" @Captainant ?  If Soros provided funds for Ogg's campaign and JSack merely points it out then why you so mad? 

Facts are facts, aren't they? 

If you pointed out similar campaign contributions from the right for a particular candidate that became the officeholder, would you expect an in kind response?

Folks get so worked up nowadays.  Calm down.

Sack has been beating his antisemetic drum on surly for a few weeks now. Anything that's bad or scary, he's found a way to link to (((George Soros))). Just calling it out when I see it. 

EDIT: and from Sack's own article, it wasn't Soros making the donation, it was the Texas Organizing Project that made the contributions. Bullshit asymmetry principle and all that.

Edited by Captainant

Shit's fucked up all over, even out in the god-fearing suburbs. Teenage double-murder suicide a few days ago in Crosby.

Three teenagers were found dead Tuesday afternoon inside a home near Crosby, about 25 miles northeast of Houston. 

Detectives initially believe one of the teens shot the other two before taking their own life, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said at a news conference Tuesday evening. The three teens, believed to be two 17-year-old girls and a 15-year-old boy, were not immediately identified

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Sack has been beating his antisemetic drum on surly for a few weeks now. Anything that's bad or scary, he's found a way to link to (((George Soros))). Just calling it out when I see it. 

But Soros did contribute to Ogg's campaign.  Are you just mad at Jsack and neg-repping him just because or do you not like that he brought up the Soros campaign contribution?

I've not seen any anti-semitic posts by Jsack.  Not from the lack of recognition but due to I don't specifically look for his posts in the CR.

Or yours.

This board would be a better place if the CR was removed.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

EDIT: and from Sack's own article, it wasn't Soros making the donation, it was the Texas Organizing Project that made the contributions. Bullshit asymmetry principle and all that.

In 2016 Ogg was endorsed by the Texas Organizing Project—partially funded by billionaire George Soros, who also bought $1.4 million in ads to help elect Ogg

This is not a well constructed sentence.  It seems to me that TOP endorsed Ogg, TOP was partially funded by Soros and then Soros ALSO bought $1.4 million in ads to help elect Ogg.

What say you?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

But Soros did contribute to Ogg's campaign.  Are you just mad at Jsack and neg-repping him just because or do you not like that he brought up the Soros campaign contribution?

I've not seen any anti-semitic posts by Jsack.  Not from the lack of recognition but due to I don't specifically look for his posts in the CR.

Or yours.

This board would be a better place if the CR was removed.  

a5769250-e73a-4869-9d3e-af83cb51e3d7_1.78669333a5c01f71649243c7376f6e66.jpeg

"Hey why did this person get let out on bail?"

"IDK, but did you hear that (((George Soros))) donated to the DA's campaign?"

Same sort of dogwhistling was happening during the civil unrest and cop brutality summer of 2020. Anything that caused suburbanites to clutch their pearls? Soros donated to it!

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

In 2016 Ogg was endorsed by the Texas Organizing Project—partially funded by billionaire George Soros, who also bought $1.4 million in ads to help elect Ogg

This is not a well constructed sentence.  It seems to me that TOP endorsed Ogg, TOP was partially funded by Soros and then Soros ALSO bought $1.4 million in ads to help elect Ogg.

What say you?  

see above

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

a5769250-e73a-4869-9d3e-af83cb51e3d7_1.78669333a5c01f71649243c7376f6e66.jpeg

"Hey why did this person get let out on bail?"

"IDK, but did you hear that (((George Soros))) donated to the DA's campaign?"

Same sort of dogwhistling was happening during the civil unrest and cop brutality summer of 2020. Anything that caused suburbanites to clutch their pearls? Soros donated to it!

see above

You are reacting rather than thinking (where have we heard that before?).  I've never heard of TOP in my life.  First thing I did was to look at their web-site.  Your first move was to neg-rep.  Interesting move.  

Shown below is TOP's position on criminal justice and BAIL REFORM (per their web-site).  Soros contributed to TOP and to Ogg. Seems Soros' investment paid off.  Is it, in fact, anti-semitic or a hail Mary or even a stretch to say that Soros was involved?  

MORE ON THE CAMPAIGN

The mission of TOP’S Right2Justice (R2J) Campaign is to end mass incarceration and the criminalization of poverty of Black and Latino people in four of the largest counties in Texas (Harris, Dallas, Bexar and Fort Bend) by creating a justice system that is fair and just. 

The United States incarcerates its citizens more than any other country. Mass incarceration disproportionately impacts the poor and people of color, and does not make us safer. 

Right now, more than 70 percent of the people who are in our county jails in Texas have not been convicted of any crime. They’re there simply because they can’t afford to pay bail. 

We’re fighting to end mass incarceration by demanding bail reform, cite and release policies and defunding the police.