Reservation Dogs

Scary Stranger

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think my favorite was the elders asking Willie Jack to break ground, and then her speech. She was given the mantle of maintaining the traditions and passing them forward.

Very small but I liked that Jackie has grown up, got rid of her dye job, and was working in the kitchen with the women cooking. I think she and Bear build a life there in okern.

You get a sense of how life is going to go for everyone except Cheese.  Maybe Cheese and his life get revisited at some point.  I like Cheese.
Going to miss this cool little show.  

25 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think my favorite was the elders asking Willie Jack to break ground, and then her speech. She was given the mantle of maintaining the traditions and passing them forward.

Very small but I liked that Jackie has grown up, got rid of her dye job, and was working in the kitchen with the women cooking. I think she and Bear build a life there in okern.

I didn’t realize that was Jackie until the very end.

Finished last night. Great series, and part of me is glad they called it at three seasons. I hate that so many great series hang on too long and get desperate for plot points. You know someone would force a romantic relationship between Bear and Elora at some point. I like leaving it as a possibility to end the series. I like the idea of other series in which these characters can maybe appear later. Or if it's over and done with, I'm happy I got to enjoy the ride. 

Elora's dad episode was also cool for me because of the shooting locations. I wonder if Elder's paint store, Tim's Diner, and Umberto's Pizza just got lucky that they were featured. All are real places near 31st and Harvard in Tulsa. The whole series was fun spotting shooting locations which I know. I wonder why they named the town Okern, it's clearly set in Okmulgee, the capital of the Muscogee Nation (the College of the Muscogee Nation was also featured in the last episode, a real place). 

Just a great series. I'll have more to say later. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Elora's dad episode was also cool for me because of the shooting locations. I wonder if Elder's paint store, Tim's Diner, and Umberto's Pizza just got lucky that they were featured. All are real places near 31st and Harvard in Tulsa. The whole series was fun spotting shooting locations which I know.

I wasn't able to pick those out until you mentioned them.  My grandmother was a florist at the TG&Y located in the Ranch Acres Shopping Center at 31st and Harvard.  My parents and grandparents were from that area of Tulsa.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I wasn't able to pick those out until you mentioned them.  My grandmother was a florist at the TG&Y located in the Ranch Acres Shopping Center at 31st and Harvard.  My parents and grandparents were from that area of Tulsa.

Tim's Diner was called Phils Diner for forever until a few years ago. Umberto's Pizza was a bunch of different things before they took over a few years ago. The last I recall was Amish Diner or something. The Conoco station where he encounters Elora is in the parking lot of Ranch Acres Liquor, one of my regular spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

. You know someone would force a romantic relationship between Bear and Elora at some point.

I think they have been alluding to some kind of relationship building between Bear and Jackie.

Bev could see the snag coming when they were working together at the IHS. Rita references it when she is is leaving town and they both kinda shy away from each other.

Finished last night. Great series, and part of me is glad they called it at three seasons. I hate that so many great series hang on too long and get desperate for plot points. You know someone would force a romantic relationship between Bear and Elora at some point. I like leaving it as a possibility to end the series. I like the idea of other series in which these characters can maybe appear later. Or if it's over and done with, I'm happy I got to enjoy the ride. 
Elora's dad episode was also cool for me because of the shooting locations. I wonder if Elder's paint store, Tim's Diner, and Umberto's Pizza just got lucky that they were featured. All are real places near 31st and Harvard in Tulsa. The whole series was fun spotting shooting locations which I know. I wonder why they named the town Okern, it's clearly set in Okmulgee, the capital of the Muscogee Nation (the College of the Muscogee Nation was also featured in the last episode, a real place). 
Just a great series. I'll have more to say later. 

I don’t think Sterling would take it to the point of absurdity like a Bear - Jackie - Elora love triangle, or the whole res goes to Hawaii. But I want to see Elora dealing with school and new new family, Rita in her job in OKC, Willie Jack learning her wizard ways, Bev and big snagging and all the other little stories still to tell.

This one will be in our rewatch list that we go start to end each year or two, like Justified, Arrested Development, Sopranos, etc. it’s a special show and I selfishly wanted him to keep it going another season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed the finale. It was a sweet ending to a great show. I'm sure Sterling could've kept it going but sometimes it's better to leave on top and with a sense of fulfilment. I'm glad William Knifeman returned for one last interaction. I think the kids are going to be alright. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I enjoyed the finale. It was a sweet ending to a great show. I'm sure Sterling could've kept it going but sometimes it's better to leave on top and with a sense of fulfilment. I'm glad William Knifeman returned for one last interaction. I think the kids are going to be alright. 

Pretty much this. Surprised a bit at how everybody has some direction now that I think about it, and it was a pretty solid ending to include some passing of the cultural torch. Cheese and Willie Jack become elders and ease the transition. Elora found an outer calling. Bear is too much of a personality to stay too long too, maybe he and the gf spread their wings. Very enjoyable show from season 1, this will go down as one of my favorites. Maybe not Top 3-5 status, but enough for me to mention it and think of it if someone asks my favorite shows. 

just finished the last episode. just a heartfelt show with lots of laughs and the perfect amount of poignancy. ending felt right. Elora and Bear in the chapel brought the dust out ❤️

my only lasting question...did we ever get an explanation of/for White Steve? 😄

33 minutes ago, mchookem said:

just finished the last episode. just a heartfelt show with lots of laughs and the perfect amount of poignancy. ending felt right. Elora and Bear in the chapel brought the dust out ❤️

my only lasting question...did we ever get an explanation of/for White Steve? 😄

He was just a representation of all the “1/8th native” type people. 

I think he's just a white kid who liked hanging out with the Native kids. The "Rez" in Oklahoma is very different than out west. Native people are still very much the minority in pretty much every town, including Okmulgee (aka Okern). It's not like the Navajo reservation where a white person would be a minority, likely married to an Indian person and living or working on the Rez.

I'm finally working my way through the last season and want to touch on the boarding school episode.  

There aren't many episodes of TV that thoroughly affected me like that one did.  In 30 minutes it managed to jump between, eerie, sweet, sad, heartwarming, terrifying and disgusting. I told my wife that I might have to FF through some of the scenes with the kids.

To me, in a series that is chock-full with strong episodes this one was the most powerful.

It is a credit to the talent and vision everyone involved in this show.  

Quick question

Spoiler

Did the wolf know that was Deer Lady? To me it seemed like he did and resigned himself to his fate but I'm not terribly sure.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, Post Oak said:

I'm finally working my way through the last season and want to touch on the boarding school episode.  

There aren't many episodes of TV that thoroughly affected me like that one did.  In 30 minutes it managed to jump between, eerie, sweet, sad, heartwarming, terrifying and disgusting. I told my wife that I might have to FF through some of the scenes with the kids.

To me, in a series that is chock-full with strong episodes this one was the most powerful.

It is a credit to the talent and vision everyone involved in this show.  

Quick question

Hide contents

Did the wolf know that was Deer Lady? To me it seemed like he did and resigned himself to his fate but I'm not terribly sure.

I thought he did at first but ultimately I don't think he did. 

• Hook 'Em 1