Big explosion in Plano neighborhood

Beau Vine

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Some witnesses are reporting a massive lightning strike right before the explosion.  Witnesses so take with a grain of salt but wouldn't that be a son of a bitch, lightning hitting a house with a gas leak.

I had a neighbor, about 4 houses down from our house, who had their house hit by lightning. The strike was so forceful that it split the gas feedline into the house, and thankfully it was noticed quickly enough that the service was cut and repairs were made before there was an explosion.
Sadly, about a year after all the repairs were made on the house, they had an electrical fire that caused enough damage to have to do a rebuild from the studs. It was determined that the cause of the fire was insulation on wires near the electrical box had been damaged in the lighting strike and eventually shorted. They were visiting one of their kids in Lousiana, and the fire inspector suspects that the fire may have smoldered for several hours before really taking off. 
These folks have terrible luck, they have a nice 28" 5th wheel  travel trailer that they take when the visit family, and they left at their kids place to drive back to see the damage to their house. While they were gone, that part of Louisiana got hit with flooding and their trailer was totaled in the flood; as the kids didn't have any way to tow the fifth wheel.
It is really sad, and yet I think they are the living embodiment of William Macy in "The Cooler".

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I live roughly a mile as the crow flies to this street and starting to think the thunder I heard yesterday afternoon may have been the boom. 

I’m a little further than that, but there was actual thunder yesterday afternoon.  Dog didn’t leave my side for 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I had a neighbor, about 4 houses down from our house, who had their house hit by lightning. The strike was so forceful that it split the gas feedline into the house, and thankfully it was noticed quickly enough that the service was cut and repairs were made before there was an explosion.
Sadly, about a year after all the repairs were made on the house, they had an electrical fire that caused enough damage to have to do a rebuild from the studs. It was determined that the cause of the fire was insulation on wires near the electrical box had been damaged in the lighting strike and eventually shorted. They were visiting one of their kids in Lousiana, and the fire inspector suspects that the fire may have smoldered for several hours before really taking off. 
These folks have terrible luck, they have a nice 28" 5th wheel  travel trailer that they take when the visit family, and they left at their kids place to drive back to see the damage to their house. While they were gone, that part of Louisiana got hit with flooding and their trailer was totaled in the flood; as the kids didn't have any way to tow the fifth wheel.
It is really sad, and yet I think they are the living embodiment of William Macy in "The Cooler".

Their insurance rates must be astronomical. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

That's a clever way to start a fire and make it look like an accident,  but how did they start the flood? 

The explosion happened Monday afternoon in the 4400 block of Cleveland Drive. The home was leveled, other nearby homes were damaged and debris was scattered for hundreds of feet around. The shockwave from the blast reportedly shook buildings at least a mile away.

"Plano Police Detectives and Plano Fire Marshals began a joint investigation as to the cause of the explosion. After further investigation," fire officials said Wednesday, "it was determined the explosion may have been intentional."

Plano fire officials gave no further details about the investigation or what led them to believe the explosion may have been triggered intentionally. Additionally, it's not clear if investigators plan to file any charges in the case or who those charges may be filed against.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/plano-house-explosion-may-have-been-intentional-officials/2688054/

It's my 500th post and OU still Sucks.

Edited by DallasHorn26
OU Sucks

PLANO, Texas - Investigators were back at the Plano house that exploded earlier this week.

Tuesday, the fire department said the cause was likely an isolated gas leak. But on Wednesday, police revealed they believe the explosion may have been intentional. 

It was a stunning announcement.

Unfortunately, investigators have yet to elaborate about what leads them to believe this was intentional.

Plano Fire Rescue said Tuesday that police K9s found no evidence of explosives, and they did not consider it a crime scene.

Atmos Energy described the explosion as "unrelated" to its natural gas system, ruling out a malfunction in or near the home, giving some reassurance to the rest of the neighborhood.

It’s still unclear what investigators found to change the course of the case. They’ve declined multiple requests for information.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/former-atf-agent-gives-insight-into-plano-home-explosion-investigation

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Atmos Energy described the explosion as "unrelated" to its natural gas system, ruling out a malfunction in or near the home, giving some reassurance to the rest of the neighborhood.

You mean natural gas doesn’t ignite pure white and absent any orange? I am shocked.

• 3 weeks later...

Circling back to this. It was a failed suicide attempt. Fill house with natural gas a la car in the garage with exhaust. Storm in area set off gas. Things go boom accidentally. He survived. Ended up in hospital in critical condition. Assuming he survives (apparently had a quadruple amputation), numerous charges pending.

This is all via the grapevine from friends of friends in the neighborhood so take it for what it’s worth.

• Hook 'Em 1