Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Texas is ranked #25 in the preseason AP poll.  Texas has to prove the Elite 8 wasn't a fluke after losing Celeste Taylor (Duke), Charli Collier (WNBA), Kyra Lambert (graduation), Karisma Ortiz (UTSA), Precious Johnson (Auburn) and Elyssa Coleman (UTSA)

South Carolina
UConn
Stanford
Maryland
NC State

Baylor is 7
Iowa State is 12
Tennessee is 15
West Virginia is 19
Arizona is 22
Texas A&M is 23
OK State and OU are RV

ESPN currently has Texas with the #11 class for 2022 - tops in the Big 12.  The Pac 12 has the top 3 classes. 

Texas current commits: #33 Ndjakalenga Mwententanda, #62 Amina Muhammad and #66 Jordan Codio.  There's not very many players left uncommitted, but I mentioned in the Volleyball thread that 2023 #20 Maggie Mendelson. 6'5 post, (also a volleyball recruit as a 6'5 MB/OH) reclassified to 2022 and was here last weekend for the OK State game. 

We only have the one 'ship left for 2022 and we did not make the final list for #17 Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, so Vic will either hold it for 2023 recruit/transfer or Maggie Mendelson. 

Saw some recaps of the scrimmage yesterday (Orange & White, followed by scrimmaging the practice players full of guys). 

Joanne Allen-Taylor and Audrey will absolutely be the leaders of the team - no question.  Joanne will be the person that makes this team go.

Rori has "it" and will be starting PG sooner rather than later.  She Brooke McCarty 2.0.   Chevalier will come in and bulldog the shit out of opposing point guards. 

Moore/Gaston/Ebo will be an absolute handful under the basket.  Moore has no fear driving to the basket.  Ebo continues to be an exceptional finisher under the basket but she's still slow as shit. 

Kyndall Hunter can shoot it.

Gaston is finally healthy and will be a big contributor. 

This team likes to run - they will try to exhaust the shit out of teams with how much they run. 

Defense will be a work in progress, just like last year, to start the year as the young players get up to speed and acclimated.  

Women lost by 1 point to the men's practice squad.  Again - the defense was not spectacular. 

If I had to guess, starting 5 to open the season will be more veteran - Chevalier, Allen-Taylor, Warren, Gaston, Ebo.  Moore might sneak into the starting 5 early.  By season's end, it would likely be Harmon, Allen-Taylor, Warren, Ebo/Gaston, Moore. 

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

They are already suggesting Vic and saying “if Texas can get Beard, we can get Vic back here.”

I feel like Vic wouldn’t do that, but home is home.

They need to do what Miss St didn't do - elevate their associate head coach.   Kelly Bond-White has been the right hand woman since Vic left. 

On 10/28/2021 at 10:07 AM, Pancho said:

They are already suggesting Vic and saying “if Texas can get Beard, we can get Vic back here.”

The more I think about it, the more I believe Vic won't accept and barely will listen .  This isn't a Kim Mulkey situation - she went "home" but she had a shitty relationship with the AD at Baylor.  

He seems to have a great relationship with CDC, he has a core group he just brought in for 2021 that will be here for 4 years, he gets a brand new, state of the art arena next year and just took Texas to the Elite 8 in year 1.  

A&M is "home" but he talked a lot about being born in Austin when he got here.  He has a long, close relationship with Blair and there's very little chance he took the Texas job without talking to his friend first.  He had to have known Blair was close to retirement (everyone on Planet Earth knew he had 1-3 seasons left in him) - why take the Texas job if GB was 1 or 2 years from retiring and he'd be the #1 choice?  

Had he stayed at MSU until Blair left, he would have had a really good roster in 2020-21 team with Espinosa-Hunter, Matharu, Carter, Jackson, Cooks and Bibby + Madison Hayes and Deyona Gaston coming onto campus.    They were 27-6 and likely a #2 seed if the tournament hadn't been cancelled in 2020 - probably could have been the same or better if he stayed for 2020-21. 

He came here for a reason.  He's not leaving. 

Beard took the Tech job because he was at Little Rock and Shaka was in year 2 of his Texas contract.  He did not take the Tech job with any inkling of the Texas job opening up within 2 years of starting at Tech.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe Vic won't offer.  This isn't a Kim Mulkey situation - she went "home" but she had a shitty relationship with the AD at Baylor.  

He seems to have a great relationship with CDC, he has a core group he just brought in for 2021 that will be here for 4 years, he gets a brand new, state of the art arena next year and just took Texas to the Elite 8 in year 1.  

A&M is "home" but he talked a lot about being born in Austin when he got here.  He has a long, close relationship with Blair and there's very little chance he took the Texas job without talking to his friend first.  He had to have known Blair was close to retirement (everyone on Planet Earth knew he had 1-3 seasons left in him) - why take the Texas job if GB was 1 or 2 years from retiring and he'd be the #1 choice?  

Had he stayed at MSU until Blair left, he would have had a really good roster in 2020-21 team with Espinosa-Hunter, Matharu, Carter, Jackson, Cooks and Bibby + Madison Hayes and Deyona Gaston coming onto campus.    They were 27-6 and likely a #2 seed if the tournament hadn't been cancelled in 2020 - probably could have been the same or better if he stayed for 2020-21. 

He came here for a reason.  He's not leaving. 

Beard took the Tech job because he was at Little Rock and Shaka was in year 2 of his Texas contract.  He did not take the Tech job with any inkling of the Texas job opening up within 2 years of starting at Tech.  

Vic does seem all-in on UT, which I love.  I don't see him taking the job either, but it will be an interesting season/off-season for sure. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, Pancho said:

Beard might have left because "home is home" but a big reason he left Tech is recruiting limitations. The '22 class currently has 2 five stars and then see what Beard did on the transfer market this season. The "home" narrative might have some truth with Beard but he came to Texas because he knew he could recruit like this which wasn't going to happen at Tech. 

Seems a lot different with Schaefer because there isn't going to be a recruiting advantage at A&M over Texas. Reality is most coaches care more about winning than anything else and A&M doesn't give Schaefer any bigger advantage than Texas in that regards.