Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

I'm a little worried about scholarship numbers at this point. Seem to be getting a lot of commits from the portal and recruiting, hope everyone has a chair when the dust settles. Must drive the staff crazy figuring eligibility and meeting all the position needs each year. You also wonder if anyone else already on the team will portal with the new additions.

Cedar Park's Gisella Maul earns Gatorade state player of the year

Less than a week after leading Cedar Park’s girls basketball team to a perfect season and a second consecutive Class 5A state championship, Gisella Maul became the first student-athlete from the Austin area named the 2021-22 Gatorade Texas girls basketball player of the year.

More:Cedar Park girls complete perfect season, wins Class 5A title - see the photos

The prestigious award, now in its 37th year, recognizes “outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the court,” according to a press release issued by Gatorade. Maul, a 5-foot-10 junior guard certainly showed those traits during her junior season, when she averaged 25.6 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.9 steals a game and earned state most valuable player honors after scoring 27 points and pulling down 19 rebounds in a 45-40 win over Frisco Memorial.

Really got us a great one. The future with Vic just keeps getting brighter and brighter.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I'm a little worried about scholarship numbers at this point. Seem to be getting a lot of commits from the portal and recruiting, hope everyone has a chair when the dust settles. Must drive the staff crazy figuring eligibility and meeting all the position needs each year. You also wonder if anyone else already on the team will portal with the new additions.

Don't worry about the numbers.  

Texas for 2022-23 currently has 12 players (Matharu, Kobe, Masudi, Holle, Gaston, Harmon, Hunter, Moore, Codio, Jak, Muhammad, Jones) out of 15 scholarships.  We can take up to 3 more transfers if Vic chooses, if no one else jumps into the portal in the next 5 days.  I would not be surprised if we take 2 (Faye and Fields) and leave 1 open just in case, as we left 2 open last year. 

Texas theoretically loses no one in 2023 to graduation, as Matharu and the JUCOs should have COVID years to use.  The JUCOs might (and probably will) move on after their 2 year scholarships are up.  We are bringing in 3 so far in 2023 - Boutilier, Wagner, Maul.  There's some scuttle Boutilier could walk-on for a year if needed, I think her family is quite well off and can afford it. 

If the JUCOs move on, we have 2 scholarships + whatever we don't use of the 3 open ones we have right now + any transfers after the 2022-2023 season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Don't worry about the numbers.  

Texas for 2022-23 currently has 12 players (Matharu, Kobe, Masudi, Holle, Gaston, Harmon, Hunter, Moore, Codio, Jak, Muhammad, Jones) out of 15 scholarships.  We can take up to 3 more transfers if Vic chooses, if no one else jumps into the portal in the next 5 days.  I would not be surprised if we take 2 (Faye and Fields) and leave 1 open just in case, as we left 2 open last year. 

Texas theoretically loses no one in 2023 to graduation, as Matharu and the JUCOs should have COVID years to use.  The JUCOs might (and probably will) move on after their 2 year scholarships are up.  We are bringing in 3 so far in 2023 - Boutilier, Wagner, Maul.  There's some scuttle Boutilier could walk-on for a year if needed, I think her family is quite well off and can afford it. 

If the JUCOs move on, we have 2 scholarships + whatever we don't use of the 3 open ones we have right now + any transfers after the 2022-2023 season. 

Wow, great write-up. Thanks much, very helpful. 

Just add Fields and some coaches and the off-season has been a big success, even with the loss of Latasha.

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wow, great write-up. Thanks much, very helpful. 

It's really not much of a concern and shouldn't be. 

Matharu, Masudi, King-Hawea and Taylor Jones have 2 years left (if they want that 5th year).  I do not expect the JUCOs to stick around after this year - JUCO scholarships are 2 years and they will have (likely) finished their degrees at Texas.  

Lauren Fields would come in with 2 years left as well.  She'd matriculate with the Matharu/Jones group. 

Faye and Fatou Samb would have 3 years left. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My guess is "not going very hard" since Faye seems to be someone Vic really wants if he was following her prior to her transfer portal announcement.  Even if we got neither (boo), a lot you can do with Jones/Moore/Gaston. But obviously even more you can go with Jones/Moore/Gaston/Faye.  That's a lot of height and athleticism and rim protection. 

• Like 1

GISELLA MAUL
GUARD CEDAR PARK HS Junior
HEIGHT: 5-FOOT-10

HIGHLIGHTED STATS
25.6 POINTS PER GAME (AVERAGE)
8.2 REBOUNDS PER GAME (AVERAGE)
3.1 ASSISTS PER GAME (AVERAGE)
2.9 STEALS PER GAME (AVERAGE)

“Gisella Maul is the most unstoppable player we watched or played against. She can create her own scoring opportunities, she can shoot it from outside anywhere she wants and finishes at the goal. She is a fantastic player.”
John Berkman Head Coach - head coach of Marble Falls High

Athletic Excellence
The 5-foot-10 junior guard had led the Timberwolves to a 36-0 record, 61 straight wins and a berth in the Class 5A state championship game at the time of her selection. Maul averaged 25.6 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.9 steals per game through 36 games. The MVP of the 2021 Class 5A state title game and a 2021 First Team All-State selection, she is ranked as the nation’s No. 45 recruit in the Class of 2023 by HoopGurlz.

Academic Achievement
Maul has maintained a weighted 4.33 GPA in the classroom. She will begin her senior year of high school this fall.

Exemplary Character
Maul has volunteered locally making baked goods and treats for first responders and medical facilities. She has also donated her time at a local nursing home.

Gisella1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

You should never worry about numbers in the portal era.

Players are going to leave and be pushed out because there are just too many good players in the portal to not be active. 

Taylor Jones has been done for weeks and a big reason Lattimore is leaving IMO. This is just how the game works now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:03 PM, Js1 said:

Circling back to Taylor Jones' consistency.  I really want this player at Texas - I will take a more consistent shooter who averaged double digit ppg and is a better rebounder and shot blocker than Ebo.  Rim protector. 

Jones is a significant upgrade over Ebo. She's only 6'3 or 6'4 but she has like a 7'0 wingspan. Apparently, she's able to dunk but never done it in a game. 

Texas had no rim protector that even comes close to Jones this past season. 

I don't think people know how good Jones is. She's a better rebounder, rim protector, and has more offensive game than any big Texas had last season. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jones is a significant upgrade over Ebo. She's only 6'3 or 6'4 but she has like a 7'0 wingspan. Apparently, she's able to dunk but never done it in a game. 

Texas had no rim protector that even comes close to Jones this past season. 

I don't think people know how good Jones is. She's a better rebounder, rim protector, and has more offensive game than any big Texas had last season. 

She’s built basically like those 6’4 forwards like Cameron Brink. Long and lean. She’s gonna be great under Vic

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Iguana said:

From the video above: She is right handed but shoots with her left.

If you could build a prototype of what Schaefer likes Maul would be pretty close to it. 

I would have been shocked if Schaefer wasn't recruiting her. She's physical and tough. I know she's a guard but she actually plays like a PF. Cedar Park puts her in the post a lot and says "let's see if you can stop her." 

• Like 1

Rori came back to town from Houston yesterday so I’m guessing she’s hosting Fields’ OV today. I know they went to Moody today and 2022 commit Jak is also in town from South Dakota and a bunch of them went to dinner. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

There’s always an uncle.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Ott is actually a candidate for one of these assistant coaching positions. He has a pretty big rep in the AAU and TABC circles. I think Cedar Park has won 62 games in a row. 

He also plays a very similar style as Schaefer. Defensive minded with full court pressure. 

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's really not much of a concern and shouldn't be. 

Matharu, Masudi, King-Hawea and Taylor Jones have 2 years left (if they want that 5th year).  I do not expect the JUCOs to stick around after this year - JUCO scholarships are 2 years and they will have (likely) finished their degrees at Texas.  

Lauren Fields would come in with 2 years left as well.  She'd matriculate with the Matharu/Jones group. 

Faye and Fatou Samb would have 3 years left. 

It already looks like Masudi is being recruited over. 

If Texas lands Faye they have 5 "bigs" that are probably getting minutes over her. Jones, Gaston, Moore, Faye, and Muhammad. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Women's college basketball transfer rankings for 2022-23 season (espn.com)

3. Taylor Jones, 6-4, F, Jr., Texas

Like Briggs, Jones missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, and her absence was a significant loss for Oregon State, which missed the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2013. She gets closer to her Forney, Texas, home by joining the Longhorns and has shown glimpses of being a dominant post presence in her first three seasons, with career averages of 12.1 points and 7.7 rebounds.

Lauren Fields is #4 on the undecided transfer list

4. Lauren Fields, 5-9, G, Jr., Oklahoma State

After emerging as the Cowgirls' best player, Fields elected to leave Oklahoma State following the coaching change from Jim Little to Jacie Hoyt. A solid two-way guard, Fields averaged 15.4 points and 2.4 steals per game. She shot just 32.9% from the field, but her efficiency is likely to improve with a more talented supporting cast.

Lauren Ebo is #10

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Women's college basketball transfer rankings for 2022-23 season (espn.com)

Lauren Fields is #4 on the undecided transfer list

Lauren Ebo is #10

Lattimore didn’t make the list, but I guess that makes sense considering she’s pretty raw. Also the Cavinder twins totally picked Miami due to location for their Instagram photos. Can’t blame em

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lattimore didn’t make the list, but I guess that makes sense considering she’s pretty raw. Also the Cavinder twins totally picked Miami due to location for their Instagram photos. Can’t blame em

Probably more focused on curating their instagram for their NIL than playing ball. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably more focused on curating their instagram for their NIL than playing ball. 

As a coach, I wonder how you evaluate that. Talent / distraction / players commitment to ball / getting attention for the program.

A number of factors at play. I'm sure physical appearance is a big part of the NIL game especially on the women's side.

Strange times.

I wonder if there is a report of NIL money being taken in by a teams players or if that is all private.

324 minutes in 2020-21 (11.6 per game)
280 minutes in 2021-22 (9 per game)

SC career: 10.2 mpg, 2.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg, a whopping 153 points scored 

Her most productive season in college was 2018-2019 at Texas - 8.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg in 24.2 mpg

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

She was probably processed. South Carolina can land whoever they want right now. 

Well yeah, I'm just saying, she's played 4 seasons in college and has only had 1 "good" season.  She'll land somewhere but her entire trajectory in college has been "meh" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah, I'm just saying, she's played 4 seasons in college and has only had 1 "good" season.  She'll land somewhere but her entire trajectory in college has been "meh" 

Yeah, she's just not that great at anything other than sitting at the 3 point line and hitting some shots. 

It looks like she's in better shape but still looks out of shape to me. 

I'm pretty sure that's all she was at South Carolina in limited minutes. They just put her in the corner and told her don't do anything else. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Professional Bull Rider?

PBR is a scouting and evaluation service that works with ESPN HoopGurlz. Premier Basketball Report

The dude has spent 10 years evaluating talent.  Give him that.  

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

That World Exposure account sucks but Laflin would be an interesting hire. He’s one of the more well known names in the AAU circuit and he was a GA under Conradt. I’m sure he could recruit. 

Schaefer seems to prioritize female assistants though. 

He has 10 years of D1 assistant experience. But yeah, Vic hires female assistants. 

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That World Exposure account sucks but Laflin would be an interesting hire. He’s one of the more well known names in the AAU circuit and he was a GA under Conradt. I’m sure he could recruit. 

Schaefer seems to prioritize female assistants though. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

With Schaefer, I think it’s all about finding recruiters. 

My understanding is Schaefer is very hands on and pretty much runs the show in all aspects. It’s why I never really worry about coaching turnover with Schaefer. 

Being an older white guy maybe he tries to balance things out by hiring more relatable assistants for the young ladies and their families.
Always has a great staff.

I was worried not having all the assistant coaches in place was going to hurt us in the portal and recruiting but so far that has not been the case.

Laflin would be a recruiting demon.

I wasn’t worried because if you watch Schaefer on the sidelines it’s pretty obvious who the top assistant is. 

It’s Blair. That’s who Vic is always talking with and discussing things with during games. 

Isn’t it state law that prevents her from technically being an “assistant” because of nepotism? Regardless, Texas has obviously found ways to work around that. 

• Like 1