Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wasn’t worried because if you watch Schaefer on the sidelines it’s pretty obvious who the top assistant is. 

It’s Blair. That’s who Vic is always talking with and discussing things with during games. 

Isn’t it state law that prevents her from technically being an “assistant” because of nepotism? Regardless, Texas has obviously found ways to work around that. 

Yes. She reports to Kathy Harston bc she’s Ops, not coaching.

Appears Joni Taylor wasn’t able to get around those laws as I think her husband is staying with the Dream

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

With only 1 “assistant” hired, I believe Texas can send support staff on the road to recruit/evaluate. 

I know Sydney Carter was at an AAU tournament this past weekend. 

Maul’s AAU team is stacked. They have a few top 50 recruits and Chavez (top ‘25 recruit). 

SC is on the road, yes 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does Blair have any notion of going out on her own as an assistant or HC that she’s talked about?  Or is it known or assumed that she’s with her dad until he retires?

Dunno but my assumption is that she loves her job and will take on her own program once he retires.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

With only 1 “assistant” hired, I believe Texas can send support staff on the road to recruit/evaluate. 

I know Sydney Carter was at an AAU tournament this past weekend. 

Maul’s AAU team is stacked. They have a few top 50 recruits and Chavez (top ‘25 recruit). 

Blair was obviously on the road in the video she posted or can she claim being there with her father?

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does Blair have any notion of going out on her own as an assistant or HC that she’s talked about?  Or is it known or assumed that she’s with her dad until he retires?

No clue but she seems to love Austin. For someone in their mid 20s it seems like an awesome gig. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Baylor has added Stanford PG Jana Van Gytenbeek (meh), Kentucky forward Dre'una Edwards (a good get) and seem to be the front runner for Mizzou forward Aijah Blackwell (would be a good get).

• JVG =/= Jordan Lewis - big downgrade at PG.  From a 2nd round WNBA draft pick to a benchwarmer at Stanford.  Stanford desperately needed a PG early in the year and a top-40 ranked 2020 recruit saw 8 mpg, so....
  • Edwards + Blackwell is a good college combo, but this is not Egbo and Smith. Big difference between two top 10 WNBA picks and two players who just transferred in and haven't been coached by Mulkey for most of their career (Edwards on school #3 and Blackwell with supposed off the court problems). 
Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I wonder if she (Codio) is going to redshirt this next year. ACL twice doesn't sound good.

It's probably what is best for her.  Who knows though - players want to play and if they don't, they'll transfer. 

By my understanding we are still waiting to hear from:

1. Lauren Fields 5'9" Guard for 2022
2. Khadija Faye 6'4" Post for 2022
3. Breya Cunningham 6'4" Post for 2023
4. Possibly Fatou Samb 6"4" post for 2022

Fields is the more immediate need and I wonder how the addition of Taylor Jones is affecting the decision of Faye. Cunningham probably not so much
but is the bigger long shot.

I'll bet less used players on each team are hopeful portal players make their decision before May 1rst so they can portal out themselves if need be and not have to sit a year.

Tricky business.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 is going to be good again next season. 

If Baylor adds Blackwell there could be 4 top 15 preseason teams (Texas, OU, Iowa State and Baylor). K-State should also be a top 25ish team with Ayoka Lee returning. This is good though as it helps Texas in terms of NET/NCAA seeding. 

I understand your point and it's certainly valid but:

"Between January 1978, and January 1990, Conradt's Lady Longhorns did not lose a Southwest Conference game, a streak of 183 consecutive conference victories.[7] From 1986 to 1991, Texas was the women's basketball attendance leader, including an NCAA record average of 8,481 for one season.[4]" "

Good times.

Texas (Southwest Conference) (1982–1996)
1982–83 Texas 30–3 8–0 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1983–84 Texas 32–3 16–0 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1984–85 Texas 28–3 16–0 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1985–86 Texas 34–0 16–0 1st NCAA Champions
1986–87 Texas 31–2 16–0 1st NCAA Final Four
1987–88 Texas 32–3 16–0 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1988–89 Texas 27–5 16–0 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1989–90 Texas 27–5 15–1 T-1st NCAA Elite Eight

Absolutely different eras though and Vic just went to two elite eights in a far more competitive field, but I can't say I didn't like it when the only question was would we lose a conference game this year or not. And also F Baylor.

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 is going to be good again next season. 

If Baylor adds Blackwell there could be 4 top 15 preseason teams (Texas, OU, Iowa State and Baylor). K-State should also be a top 25ish team with Ayoka Lee returning. This is good though as it helps Texas in terms of NET/NCAA seeding. 

The Big 12 will be really good again, no doubt.  

Don't forget KU as well, they should be fringe top 25.  They return a lot of talent as well.  

WV will be down, TCU is a mess, Tech is Tech (don't expect much), OSU will be interesting with some transfers and a new staff

Texas and ISU should be top 10, Baylor and OU will be top 20, KSU will be top 25 and KU will be receiving votes. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Good for her, they made it to the Sweet 16 this year, pounded OU in Norman. 

24 -9 on the year.

I wonder why ND? Just glad she is out of the conference, they got themselves a great one.

They needed post players and they’re in the ACC so she’ll get some games close to home (DC)

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Fields to Arizona

Still nothing on Hunter. Today was the last day to enter the portal but the school has until the 3rd to enter the names 

She's still on the official website. They took down Lattimore and Chevalier really quick so that's something.

The Taylor Jones signing was great but I was hoping for a few more portal wins by now, we keep striking out. I certainly thought we would have signed Faye already but Taylor may have affected that. 

Really sorry about Fields, her going to AZ may have helped us keep Kyndall though but we need some wing / guard help badly. Hopefully Shay and Kyndall will both show improvement next year and maybe a healthy Kobe will come out of the gate strong. I'm hoping Vic has a plan C, D, and E but right now we seem to be falling behind in the portal sweepstakes. Not even sure what the targets at guard / wing would be now.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Not even sure what the targets at guard / wing would be now.

Vic may like what he has if he thinks Hunter is going to make a big offseason jump between year 1 and 2 like Holle did.

We also don't know who else Vic is in contact with or who will be in the portal by the end of tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sure would be awesome if she is indeed healthy.  Though my guess is Vic takes it slow with her. 

We are still a ~10 hours out from the deadline for schools to enter names in the portal - Texas is either slowplaying any additions in the hopes they change their minds or we survived the worst of it, only losing Lattimore + the seniors we expected to be gone. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We are still a ~10 hours out from the deadline for schools to enter names in the portal - Texas is either slowplaying any additions in the hopes they change their minds or we survived the worst of it, only losing Lattimore + the seniors we expected to be gone. 

Not sure why you would wait this long to put your name in the portal except if the team you were playing on had some new additions at your position. You would want to end up at the best possible place for yourself. But these are younger people and it can certainly take a while for anyone to make up their mind.

Welcome to the new normal at this time of year. Watching the clock, waiting to see who stays and who goes.

In some ways you almost want to be a player's second team. They have made it through the freshman's anger at not getting enough playing time while they develop, and they have to sit a long year if they transfer again.

The Esmery Martinez saga continues

Committed to and signed an LOI to Miss St as a HS recruit (for Vic)
Released from her MSU LOI and signed an ASA with Texas and was even added to our official roster
Changed her mind on Texas and ended up at West Virginia instead 
Transfers this year after 3 years at WV and commits to Kim Mulkey and LSU
Reneges on her commitment (shocker) and is now committed to Arizona

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

The Esmery Martinez saga continues
Committed to and signed an LOI to Miss St as a HS recruit (for Vic)
Released from her MSU LOI and signed an ASA with Texas and was even added to our official roster
Changed her mind on Texas and ended up at West Virginia instead 
Transfers this year after 3 years at WV and commits to Kim Mulkey and LSU
Reneges on her commitment (shocker) and is now committed to Arizona

I feel bad for her future husband(s).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Blair is now following Auburn's Damitra Buchanan - former KU assistant/recruiting coordinator and now assistant coach at Auburn since 2021

• 1 season at Auburn under Johnnie Harris coaching bigs
  • 6 years at KU as recruiting coordinator
  • 2 years at Texas Tech 
  • Stint at SFA

Played under Vic and Johnnie Harris at Texas A&M and played her HS ball in Houston

• Hook 'Em 4

Wake Forest fired their coach yesterday. Horseshit, bc now anyone there who wants to transfer has to submit a waiver because it’s after May 1. School def did that on purpose 

Maybe we can recruit Jewel Spear (5’10 SG from The Colony) into the portal 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Blair is now following Auburn's Damitra Buchanan - former KU assistant/recruiting coordinator and now assistant coach at Auburn since 2021

• 2 years at Texas Tech 
  • Stint at SFA

Played under Vic and Johnnie Harris at Texas A&M and played her HS ball in Houston

Blair to auburn?????

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Blair to auburn?????

Don't think she'll ever leave Vic's side until he's done coaching.  She's the de facto #1 assistant already.

But will be interesting to see what happens if the NCAA reforms to eliminate the cap on assistants passes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2022 at 10:25 AM, Js1 said:

• 2 years at Texas Tech 
  • Stint at SFA

Would have liked to have had Buchanan.

Wish we would get a few more coaches hired. Seems to be dragging out.

Girls beat UNC 14 to 20 but it wasn't that close. Rori gets whacked on the face but seems ok afterwards -  any medical staff from UT there?, a little concerning. No one coaching the team during the game, the girls just talk through it. Moore looked great inside with spins and actually dove across a table at one point. Players on the floor etc. - Vic doesn't have to be there for them to go all out. Rori smoking fast and doesn't care what game it is, she just wants to win. Announcer couldn't say Mathru's name but she was hitting outside shots like she do. Holle solid on D and good size to cover all players. Fast paced game, only ten minutes long but intense. Much fun, we looked solid.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Girls beat UNC 14 to 20 but it wasn't that close. Rori gets whacked on the face but seems ok afterwards -  any medical staff from UT there?, a little concerning. No one coaching the team during the game, the girls just talk through it. Moore looked great inside with spins and actually dove across a table at one point. Players on the floor etc. - Vic doesn't have to be there for them to go all out. Rori smoking fast and doesn't care what game it is, she just wants to win. Announcer couldn't say Mathru's name but she was hitting outside shots like she do. Holle solid on D and good size to cover all players. Fast paced game, only ten minutes long but intense. Much fun, we looked solid.

We lost to the 2 older teams of pros, but barely. 21-19 and 20-19 in OT. Moore looks like an absolute beast. She’s more than capable as a post forward hybrid at 6’1

There’s no in-game coaching at 3x3. Blair and Sydney Carter are there with the team 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

Appears DePaul's Sonya Morris may be visiting. 

4 years at DePaul, so a one year 5'10 guard rental if she picked us

2021-22: 17.6 ppg, 46.4% FG, 34.7% 3PFG, 75% FT, 3.9 rpg, 98 assists to 79 turnovers, 7 blocks, 45 steals.  Second leading scorer behind fab freshman Aneesah Morrow

16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal against A&M
20-9-2 against Northwestern
10-3-4 with 2 steals against Rutgers
10-4-4 against Arizona
36-6-4 with 2 steals against Vanderbilt
15-5-1 with 1 steal against ND
19-5-2 with 1 steal against UConn

• Hook 'Em 1