Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hunter (#24 recruit)

Moore (#6 recruit)

Harmon (#10 recruit)

Lattimore (#38 recruit)

King-Hawea (Top JUCO)

This is why I laugh at people that say we have talent on the football team. Just watch these FR on the women's basketball team and tell me where this type of talent is on the football team. 

It wears #5 and plays RB. That's about it. #8 on offense is an elite complimentary player (meaning he's great but you don't build an offense around him).

But back to the ladies kicking ass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah Baylor won't be top 10 much longer. They don't even have a top 25 team this year

image.png.5b5a9525040b70445e8baf4c7a08eacd.png

TXST is a team that back in the Griner years I'm pretty sure Baylor won by 100 points

Kim left talent but that Collen hire was awful.  Maryland, ASU, Missouri, Michigan are all potential non-conf losses for them.  Will be watching to see how Baylor does versus UNO on Monday as a comparison to us. 

Texas gets a little love on ESPN

What was the biggest surprise -- good or bad -- on opening day?
Creme: With a number of new faces and coming off a season in which the offense lacked consistency, Texas exploded in a 131-36 win over New Orleans. Obviously, the Longhorns were the favorite against a Privateers team that went 6-15 a year ago, but a 95-point win would have been difficult for anyone to predict.

Texas returned just two starters, and coach Vic Schaefer relied heavily on three freshmen in the season opener, but Texas played like a cohesive unit. The Longhorns applied constant early pressure and forced 38 New Orleans turnovers. They also registered 30 assists and made 13-of-23 3-pointers.

If Texas is going to have a successful season, its freshmen will have to produce, and Tuesday was a positive sign. Aaliyah Moore, the most highly regarded of the trio, scored six points in the first four minutes as the Longhorns jumped to a 17-0 lead. Kyndall Hunter had the most impressive debut with a game-high 27 points that included seven 3-pointers. Latasha Lattimore had 11 points and six rebounds.

Five days from now, Texas takes a prodigious step up in competition when it travels to Stanfordon Sunday (3 p.m. ET, ESPN). That will be a more realistic litmus test of where this team is. But if Tuesday is any indication, the Longhorns are ahead of the curve when it comes to chemistry and confidence. That will only help facing the defending champs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Moore had 9 points in 9 minutes 

Hunter had 27 in 14

Harmon had 7 in 22 but dished out 8 assists 

Lattimore had 11 in 19 minutes 

Very good production for freshman debuts. Gaston, Ebo, Matharu, JAT and Warren looked great. 

Harmon will play more than Chevalier. Bulldog off the bench but Harmon is silky smooth at PG

30 assists on 47 made baskets.  The 12 turnovers will piss off Vic 

Edited by Js1

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

My favorite part of this video is at the 8:36 mark.

You can’t hear Vic well so Harmon, always looking to make the assist, reaches over, moves things and points to Vic to move his microphone over which he dutifully does.

Rori Harmon, dropping dimes even after the game is over.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Moore had 9 points in 9 minutes 

Hunter had 27 in 14

Harmon had 7 in 22 but dished out 8 assists 

Lattimore had 11 in 19 minutes 

Very good production for freshman debuts. Gaston, Ebo, Matharu, JAT and Warren looked great. 

Harmon will play more than Chevalier. Bulldog off the bench but Harmon is silky smooth at PG

30 assists on 47 made baskets.  The 12 turnovers will piss off Vic 

I hope Gaston can stay healthy. There's a reason some had her as the #1 recruit a few years ago before the injuries. 

I thought she looked very good last season before the injury. Matter of fact, I think she would have been the 2nd best player on the roster by the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I hope Gaston can stay healthy. There's a reason some had her as the #1 recruit a few years ago before the injuries. 

I thought she looked very good last season before the injury. Matter of fact, I think she would have been the 2nd best player on the roster by the end of the season. 

Agreed, really disappointed when she went down last year, was just starting to shine. Not getting as much press as some right now but I’m expecting a break-out year for her. The potential on this team is unreal. That Lattimore….

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Agreed, really disappointed when she went down last year, was just starting to shine. Not getting as much press as some right now but I’m expecting a break-out year for her. The potential on this team is unreal. That Lattimore….

Gaston, Lattimore, Ebo and Moore is a load inside for any team.  Good freaking luck, Texas can just keep rotating bodies. 

6'2, 6'4, 6'4, 6'1

Meanwhile, Texas just signed 6'4 Muhammed and 6'2 Mwenentanda for 2022 and 6'9 Boutilier is on the horizon (2023). 

This team will be seriously challenged on Sunday.  Just the returning talent for the defending national champs: 

Haley Jones - 13.2 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 23 blocks, 35% three point shooter
Lexie Hull - 11.6 ppg, 51 steals, 35% three point shooter
Cameron Brink - 9.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 88 blocks, 37% three point shooter
Francesca Belibi - 7.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg
Ashten Prechtel - 5.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 36 blocks, 37% three point shooter
Anna Wilson - 4.6 ppg, 49 steals, 45% three point shooter
Hannah Jump - 6.7 ppg, 43% three point shooter

Would love to win but not expecting it. Defending champs in their house and us with basically a new team. Still glad for the game. Will motivate the team to get better, see the most glaring issues to work on and will be fun to see the line-ups Vic throws at them. Just wish we had a few more games before the big challenge. And you never know, this group is going to surprise some teams.

7 for 8 for three in the first half and 27 total in 14 minutes?

Hunter the Spurs are calling on line 1...

I watched the Schaefer PC after the game and he said Matharu was one of his best players his final year at Miss State and that he's trying to "get her back to that player."

He was pretty much implying that she had regressed under the last staff and learned a lot of bad habits. Yikes, McCray-Penson was an awful hire. 

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yeah, Gaston is probably the most talented player on the roster when healthy. Schaefer has said as much. You can tell Schaefer is a bit frustrated with the injuries because he knows Gaston could be one of the best players in the country when healthy. 

Gaston would have been a top 10 recruit (probably higher) if not for all the injuries. Let's hope they figure out a way to solve all the injuries. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I watched the Schaefer PC after the game and he said Matharu was one of his best players his final year at Miss State and that he's trying to "get her back to that player."

He was pretty much implying that she had regressed under the last staff and learned a lot of bad habits. Yikes, McCray-Penson was an awful hire. 

Feels like that'll be Baylor in a few years.....

Matharu 2019-2020: 38% three point shooter, 7.1 ppg in 9.9 mpg, 26 steals, 1.8 rpg, 63% FT
Matharu 2020-2021: 34% three point shooter, 10.2 ppg in 21.7 mpg, 26 steals, 3.5 rpg, 76% FT

She was more efficient and a better shooter under Vic.  Her rebounding and FT% went up but that's a natural FR->SO thing. 

Her, Hunter, JAT are going to all have to be the primary shooters behind the arc.  Our volume three-pt shooters last year were 30% (Taylor), 36% (JAT), 36% (Lambert).    If JAT can continue to be around 36% and Matharu can be around 36-40% + Hunter = good things.

• Hook 'Em 1

25-25 at half. Absolute in this! 

Harmon with 14 and Moore with 7. 

Texas shooting 35.5% to Tree’s 29%. Tree only 1-13  on threes 

15 to 5 FT Advantage for Tree but Texas winning turnover battle 8 to 12

Edited by Js1