Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Both these teams will be interesting at the end of the season. 

Tennessee was without their best player (Burrell) and Texas was without a starter (Moore), one of their best bench players (Hunter) and one of its best shooters (King-Hawea). 

I hope this team doesn't have the injury bug like last season but so far it seems like it with Warren likely to be out for a few games. 

You can also see the talent difference between players like Warren/Ebo and Moore/Hunter. 

Vic has done a good job of maximizing Warren and Ebo but they were 3 star recruits for a reason. Vic tried to use Warren in the middle of that 2-3 zone but she doesn't have much offensive game at all. 

This roster will go as far as those 5 star talents. Hunter, Moore, Matharu, and Harmon. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You can also see the talent difference between players like Warren/Ebo and Moore/Hunter. 

Vic has done a good job of maximizing Warren and Ebo but they were 3 star recruits for a reason. Vic tried to use Warren in the middle of that 2-3 zone but she doesn't have much offensive game at all. 

This roster will go as far as those 5 star talents. Hunter, Moore, Matharu, and Harmon. 

warren is a nice "plays hard" story and she makes a shot every now and then but yeah neither warren or ebo should be getting much time in a truly healthy program.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:33 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I think the front court will take some time to figure things out. Outside of Ebo we really have no experience at all in the front court. And all the FR/Gaston are more talented than her so not sure how much playing time she's going to get. 

Our best front court players are Gaston (injured most her FR year), Moore (FR), and Lattimore (FR). 

This is the biggest problem right now for Texas. Front court is extremely young and the one with experience (Ebo) is the least talented out of the bunch by about a mile. 

Once Moore comes back my guess is Vic starts playing most of the young players even if it means some growing pains. 

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

warren is a nice "plays hard" story and she makes a shot every now and then but yeah neither warren or ebo should be getting much time in a truly healthy program.

Warren is fine. She does things that help you win games. 

But yeah, I expect Ebo to get very limited minutes once Gaston/Moore are fully healthy and Lattimore figures out what she's doing. But that's 3 players that have about half a year of college experience combined. It's a very young front court but also crazy talented. I expect Vic will have them pretty damn good by the end of the year.

Edited by texasstrong12

On 11/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Warren is fine. She does things that help you win games. 

But yeah, I expect Ebo to get very limited minutes once Gaston/Moore are fully healthy and Lattimore figures out what she's doing. But that's 3 players that have about half a year of college experience combined. It's a very young front court but also crazy talented. I expect Vic will have them pretty damn good by the end of the year.

warren is fine as a role player.  I'm just saying she shouldn't be getting the minutes she does now on a healthy team.

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

warren is fine as a role player.  I'm just saying she shouldn't be getting the minutes she does now on a healthy team.

Yeah, you aren't wrong. 

3 of our starters yesterday (Warren, Ebo, and Allen-Taylor) probably wouldn't be starting on future Schaefer teams. Decent players that Schaefer has maximized but Schaefer is landing more talented players in these other recruiting classes.  

But that's what makes Schaefer exciting. He made an elite 8 last year with those players and I bet Texas finishes in a similar position this year. Once this roster starts stacking recruiting classes the talent is going to be much better and the ceiling much higher. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Gut Wagon said:

When Texas was totally dominating in the third quarter, I'm not sure the booth even acknowledged there was a game going on. Way too busy fawning over Tamika Catchings. Felt much more like a sorority reunion than a game broadcast. 

Those announcers were so focused on Tennessee it was ridiculous...  

True but the injury situation is getting bad because they're also keeping Gaston on very limited minutes to keep her healthy. 

The good news is I don't think any of these injuries are serious. 

Looking back on that Tennessee game it sucks that we lost but in a way it was kind of impressive that we were even in that game with these injuries. If we can hang with top 25 caliber teams with half the roster injured I have to think that's a pretty good sign. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

#14/16 Texas (3-1) vs California State University, Northridge - CSUN (2-2) Big West

Saturday, Nov. 27   1:00 p.m. Central

TV: LHN

Nov 7th:

It’s been 20 months since the CSUN women’s basketball team has played. Since then, the Matadors have a new head coach and a plethora of new players.

Only three players on this year’s team have significant Division I experience, but everyone has a hunger to improve.

“One thing that I really like about being on a younger team is there’s so much room to grow,” graduate student Meghann Henderson said. “And you can see the girls get better every single day.”

In addition to six true freshmen, CSUN is helmed by interim head coach Carlene Mitchell, who coached at UC Santa Barbara from 2011-2015. Mitchell became head coach in late July following the resignation of Lindsey Foster due to family reasons.

CSUN

Coach: Carlene Mitchell, first season (interim)

Records last season: 12-19 overall, 7-9 Big West

Postseason finish: Lost in opening round of Big West Tournament

Top returners: Meghann Henderson, GS, 5-10, guard, 8.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg; Jordyn Jackson, R-Jr., 5-4, guard, 8.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg

Key losses: De’Jionae Calloway, forward, 13.5 ppg, 8.4 rpg; Lauren Shymkewicz, center, 5.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.1 bpg

Newcomers to watch: Kayanna Spriggs, 6-2, forward, Mater Dei Catholic High (Chula Vista); Macy Smith, 5-10, guard, Spring Lake Park High (Minnesota); McKenzie Hudgen, 5-7, guard, Marian High (Indiana); Rochelle Fourie, 6-3, center, Manukura School (New Zealand)

Coach’s quote: “We’re a small team, we’re a young team, so we’ve got to understand how to win games, how to stay in games. And sometimes you can do that by just competing.” — Carlene Mitchell

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/11/07/csun-womens-basketball-starting-young-and-hungry/

csunschedule.jpg

rostercsun.jpg

ncaas.jpg

I know we beat them by 40 points but really impressed with Csun’s backdoor cuts, beating us down the court on offense and ball movement to find the open man. For an interim coach and largely inexperienced players that was impressive. At times they looked like a seasoned group. Gives Vic additional information about his own team as well.

Really wish we would get the hurt girls back, they need this time to get their confidence up and get integrated into the team. Never sure how long Warren is going to be available either, we need as many moving parts as we can get.

12 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I know we beat them by 40 points but really impressed with Csun’s backdoor cuts, beating us down the court on offense and ball movement to find the open man. For an interim coach and largely inexperienced players that was impressive. At times they looked like a seasoned group. Gives Vic additional information about his own team as well.

Really wish we would get the hurt girls back, they need this time to get their confidence up and get integrated into the team. Never sure how long Warren is going to be available either, we need as many moving parts as we can get.

I hope we get 1 or 2 back by Sunday's matchup at aggy.  There's ample opportunity for "rest" as well - 3 of our next 6 are Jackson State, Idaho, Alcorn State.  There's also a long layover in terms of "big" games between aggy on the 5th and Arizona on the 19th (Idaho on the 11th). 

Wednesday, Dec.1, 2021 – 7:00 p.m. Central

#14/16 Texas (4-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs Jackson State (1-2, 0-0 SWAC)

Frank Erwin Center (16, 540) – Austin, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts:

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by Longhorn Network. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.

• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network.

Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.

• SERIES: 2nd meeting, Texas leads 1-0

Notables:

BACK-2-BACK: After returning to the win column on Saturday with an 83-42 home victory over CSUN, Texas is set to wrap up a two-game homestand as they welcome in Jackson State Wednesday. The No.15-ranked Longhorns will look to gather win No.5 on the year as they kick off the month of December and head into the back half of the nonconference schedule.

FAMILIAR FACE: Longhorn head coach Vic Schaefer will see another familiar face on Wednesday in Jackson State's Ameshya Williams. Williams, the Tigers leading scorer and rebounder (18.0 PPG/8.7 RPG) and reining SWAC Defensive Player of the Year, was recruited and played under Schaefer during his final season at Mississippi State.

SCOUTING THE TIGERS: JSU enters Wednesday's matchup coming off a 79-66 loss at Ole Miss in their last outing last Tuesday. The Tigers' 1-2 record to start the season doesn't tell full story of what is a very talented roster. Both of JSU's losses have come against power five opponents. JSU defeated Nichols State 75-59 in their lone home contest of the season. Jackson State, who won the Southwestern Athletic Conference title in 2020-21 and made a trip to the NCAA Tournament, was tabbed No.1 in the SWAC preseason coaches' poll.

https://texassports.com/news/2021/11/30/womens-basketball-15-14-womens-basketball-preview-vs-jackson-state.aspx

This one may not be a laugher. JS lost at Ole Miss (7-1) by 13 and lost at Miami (4-2) by 5. (Miami only lost by 2 at #6 Indiana)

sched.jpg

rosterjs.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1