Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Such a perfect pickup.  

Ebo -> Jones - Huge upgrade offensively and athletically
JAT -> Morris - Huge upgrade offensively, likely a downgrade defensively (we'll see, really)

Holle + Moore fill that Warren spot.  Could see Holle coming off the bench in a Warren-type role.

Starters: Harmon, Matharu, Morris, Moore, Jones
Bench: Gaston, Holle, Hunter, the 3 freshman

Morris is also a great bridge from JAT -> Codio while she fully recovers and acclimates to D1 ball. 

Lot of interesting combos and lineups for Vic.  Really happy with this offseason, now lets get 2 more coaches. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, Js1 said:

Such a perfect pickup.  

JAT -> Morris - Huge upgrade offensively, likely a downgrade defensively (we'll see, really)

Sonya definitely a better shooter and scorer but didn't get to the line near as much as JAT. Two inches taller than JAT and pulled down significantly more boards with steals and blocks about the same. Sonya with far more assists but way more turnovers as well. Will be hard to match JAT's intensity and defense but I trust Vic to light a fire in her, she sees the floor well and at 5'10" may help cover taller guards like Sundell.

Sonya earned All-Big East (UConn) honors and the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association named her one of the five finalists for the 2022 Ann Meyers Drysdale Award which recognizes the top shooting guard in in NCAA Division I college women’s basketball.

We were pining over Fields but Lauren only shot .329, .284, and .630 averaging 15.4 per.
Very solid addition, I am stoked.

jatsm.jpg

5 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Will be hard to match JAT's intensity and defense but I trust Vic to light a fire in her

Matharu started playing defense under Vic so that's a good sign. 

I don't keep up with women's basketball that much but Morris looks like a better version of Matharu. A pure scorer. I do wonder what the starting lineups look like. I'm not sure Vic will want to start both Matharu and Morris together. 

Matharu embraced that spark plug off the bench role so that might still be the plan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Matharu started playing defense under Vic so that's a good sign. 

I don't keep up with women's basketball that much but Morris looks like a better version of Matharu. A pure scorer. I do wonder what the starting lineups look like. I'm not sure Vic will want to start both Matharu and Morris together. 

Matharu embraced that spark plug off the bench role so that might still be the plan. 

Vic’s biggest issue of the Elite 8 loss was our inability to score in the 4th Q. He went out to get some scorers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Stanford let the ball enter the post and our bigs shit themselves against their stork

Big reason we prioritized Taylor Jones 

But we had scoring issues from our guards too. Matharu put up a big donut in that game, as did Holle. Needed more scoring options from the guards 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Stanford let the ball enter the post and our bigs shit themselves against their stork

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

But we had scoring issues from our guards too. Matharu put up a big donut in that game, as did Holle. Needed more scoring options from the guards 

All true but even so with 3 minutes left in that game it was a 2 point contest.
With 1:30 left in the game it was a 4 point difference and we had the ball.

That was with a freshman point guard and post against freaking Stanford with all their high value recruits in Spokane.
We are not that far off and call me a homer but with Morris and Jones I think we win that game.

14 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

All true but even so with 3 minutes left in that game it was a 2 point contest.
With 1:30 left in the game it was a 4 point difference and we had the ball.

That was with a freshman point guard and post against freaking Stanford with all their high value recruits in Spokane.
We are not that far off and call me a homer but with Morris and Jones I think we win that game.

We scored 50 points

We failed to score in the final 2:07

When they went zone, we struggled

We aren't far off, but we really needed someone tall and athletic inside (Jones) and someone who could break down a zone and score at all three levels (Morris).  Vic saw those 2 deficiencies and went out and fixed it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The University of Texas at Austin Staff Jobs (myworkdayjobs.com)

Isn't this Blair's job?  Did Texas figure out a way to promote Blair to assistant coach? 

Yeah, that's Blair position. Still have her listed as the Director of Bball ops. I know there was discussion of NCAA restructuring of coaches and maybe UT found a way to

allow her to report to someone other than Vic to avoid the nepotism rules.

That's very interesting....  Wish we would fill out the coaching staff, I hope we have a master plan in play and we aren't just striking out on candidates.

Latasha Lattimore is down to Miami or LSU.

I think Miami is the better choice, LSU has a logjam at her position - Angel Reese, Amani Bartlett and LaDahzia Williams.  

Miami doesn't have much height - Lattimore will play early and often and probably not a bad spot for NIL for her.  For someone who calls herself Hollywood Tash, Miami is much more glamorous than Baton Rouge. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I read yesterday that Lattimore wants to play the wing and not in the post. 

I bet that's the reason she transferred. Good luck to her but also seems like she might be a headache. 

Miami it is. Thank God not LSU

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Faye and Moore follow each other now and Faye posted Tech is holding up her transcripts to send to another school. Hmm…. 

Well I hope that means she's coming here.  Been near the top of my list for a while now.

C'mon Tech, grow up. The fact that they're jacking with her transfer gives me greater hope she's coming to the 40.

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

Man I wish that knee the best of luck. We'll be cheering for her.

Whoa.... I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Not sure about the rumors that she was going to be ready to go this year. That knee doesn't look happy.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Well I hope that means she's coming here.  Been near the top of my list for a while now.

C'mon Tech, grow up. The fact that they're jacking with her transfer gives me greater hope she's coming to the 40.

They did the same thing to Shannon. 

Tech is just being bitches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Appears that Christy Smith, former UIW coach, is the new Director of Basketball Operations - no announcement yet, but she's in the directory under this title.  I truly do think it's a matter of time until Blair is announced as one of the new assistant coaches or in some new made up role. 

UIW HC from 2016-19
Assistant at Arky from 2014-2016, Purdue 2011-2014 and Valparaiso 2008-2011
Played from 1994 to 1998 at Arkansas, which overlapped with Vic's time as an assistant there. 

Kind of like Elena Lovato, more HC experience in a support/assistant role. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texas lost approximately 44.8% shooting, 36.3% three point shooting, 27.6 ppg, 74.5% FT, 13.3 rpg, 150 assists, 181 turnovers, 126 steals and 42 blocks
Texas gains approximately: 48.3% shooting, 34.7% three point shooting, 69% FT, 36.3 ppg, 18.9 rpg, 120 assists, 144 turnovers, 70 steals and 67 blocks

Increase in offense (shooting %, points per game), rebounds per game, less turnovers, more blocks.  Decrease in three point shooting, FT shooting, assists and steals

I will gladly take less steals (bc Rori is still here) for more rim protection and rebounds.  Same with upping our shooting percentage and turning it over less.  Plus the hope is that Hunter takes a leap, which should help the three point shooting %

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One would think the act of shooting a higher % should result in more assists, too. 

Hopefully yes. Morris just has to handle as well as JAT, which she should be able to. Will be nice for Rori’s assist numbers to go higher since Jones and Faye finish better than Ebo at the rim 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

From the tech bio page

https://texastech.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/khadija-faye/11469

SOPHOMORE (2021-22):
• Made 19 appearances with nine starts
• Missed the final 10 games of the season due to injury
• Grabbed five offensive rebounds and 10 total rebounds in a win over Weber State (Nov. 16)
• Poured in a career-high 22 points on perfect 9-of-9 shooting from the field and 4-for-4 from the line
• Erupted for 15 points, 5 rebounds and 6 blocks against No. 20 Georgia (Dec. 2)
• Grabbed 11 rebounds and had three blocks in a win against No. 9 Texas (Jan. 5)
• Scored 11 points with eight rebounds and five steals against All-American Ayoka Lee and the Kansas State Wildcats (Jan. 15)
• Had 18 points and 9 rebounds at TCU (Jan. 19).

FRESHMAN (2020-21)
• Had an outstanding freshman season for the Lady Raiders, appearing in 19 games for the Lady Raiders
• Started the final 15 games
• Missed the first six games of the season to represent Senegal in the U18 FIBA Afrobasket games in Egypt
• Averaged 5.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game
• Her 1.1 blocks per game ranked ninth in the Big 12 and second on the team
• Ranked third among Big 12 freshmen in rebounding
• Finished with four double-digit scoring games, which included one 20-point game
• Had six multi-block games
• Had one double-double on the year
• Led the Lady Raiders in rebounding five times, steals twice and blocks six times
• In only the second game of her collegiate career, had 10 points, four rebounds, four blocks and a steal in the win over Incarnate Word (Dec. 29)
• Had eight points on 4-of-7 (.571) shooting, seven rebounds, an assist, three blocks and a steal against Oklahoma (Jan. 6)
• Helped Tech to its first win over Texas in eight years with six points, four rebounds and a steal against the 20th-ranked Longhorns (Jan. 30)
• Turned in the best game of her career to date in the win over Kansas State (2/3), with 20 points,14 rebounds, two assists, two blocks and a steal matched up against All-Big 12 post Ayoka Lee
• Against Oklahoma State (Feb. 13), recorded 10 points, eight rebounds, an assist and two blocks
• Finished with four points, eight rebounds and two blocks in the overtime win over Kansas (Feb. 20)
• Had 10 points and five rebounds at Oklahoma (Mar. 1)

HIGH SCHOOL
• Faye joined the Lady Raider program from Dakar, Senegal by way of Father Lopez Catholic High School in Daytona, Fla.
• Faye played her senior season at Father Lopez Catholic in 2019-20 after having to sit out her junior season after transferring from Florida Prep where she was a standout
• As a senior, Faye helped the Green Wave to a 26-3 overall record and a spot in the 3A state quarterfinals
• Faye ranked as the No. 13 center in the class of 2020 by ESPN.

PERSONAL
• Faye was born in Senegal
• She is one of five children in her family, and is the first in her family to play collegiate sports
• Off the court in high school, she was a member of her school's French Honor Society
• Her hobbies include watching movies and hanging out with friends
• Faye hopes to one day be a gynecologist.

Right now I can't decide who I'm the most excited to watch play next year.
If we can get even some half decent shooting from three this next year we should be very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Dropped to 5th in ESPNs way too early top 25

I have no issue with #1-3 but I would not drop Texas a spot because it's keeping it's core (Harmon, Matharu and Moore) and bringing in Jones and Morris and Faye.  This drop on the list was before Faye was announced though.  Morris is a huge upgrade over JAT (smart but limited player) and Jones/Faye are way more athletic and better finishers than Ebo.  We'll miss Warren's intensity, but Vic is going to get that some type of of play out of someone - my money is Moore playing in that 3/4 spot fully healthy. 

Vic has shown more results than Kelly Harper in cobbling together what he has to get results (back to Back E8 appearances with a transfer PG and then a freshman PG).  Tennessee at times plays out of control and dumb - actually reminds me a lot of some of those Karen teams that don't value the ball, so Harmon gives Texas a leg up just on her ability to keep the team under control.  if you asked me today who the frontrunners for the top 4 seeds are in the 2023 tournament, I'd say UConn, SC, Stanford and Texas (no particular order).  Tennessee, Iowa, Louisville and NC State in the next group.  LSU, Baylor, ISU and OU right behind them.  

Fair or not, Collen brought in some legit talent, so Baylor should be good, but not great - you don't lose two Top 10 picks and a 5th year PG and expect to be regular season champs again, especially with what ISU, Texas and OU have back. Until OU shows they can actually play defense and ISU shows they can actually compete with physical defensive teams like Texas and Baylor, I still have them in the 3-seed area. 

My starting lineup for Texas is:  

Harmon
Matharu
Morris
Moore
Jones

But I really like this lineup when you want to go big:

Harmon
Morris/Matharu
Moore
Jones
Faye

And you can also go small:

Harmon
Morris/Matharu
Holle
Moore
Jones/Gaston/Faye

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I believe it was just one player in women's basketball but it was one of Texas Tech's best players. 

It's still funny. After Gerlich went on that tirade about Vic not being a great role model it has to sting when one of your best players transfers to Texas. 

Just the one and yes, it’s funny. What a bitch

• Hook 'Em 1

It's probably too early to make these predictions in softball until the transfer portal runs its course but looking at the preseason rankings softball, women's basketball, and volleyball could all be ranked in the top 5 to start the season. Correct? 

Maybe one day football can figure things out because it  does get the feel that Texas is building something special in the other sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just the one and yes, it’s funny. What a bitch

You would think Texas Tech could up their game in the non-revenue sports (fine I'll use that term). 

I couldn't even tell you who the Texas Tech coaches are in softball, volleyball, or women's basketball if not for Gerlich and Vic's feud this past season. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Losing 2 players to Texas after her snarky comments about womens’ role model must feel great. 

Well plus, after Chevalier left and attempted to trash Vic and the program, to have a Tech player turn around and immediately transfer
over to the 40 must really chap Gerlich's ass. She probably thought with Ashley's noise they could hurt Vic's recruiting but
obviously so much not.

I don't follow women's basketball closely but did Chevalier try to blame her mental health struggles on Texas? It reads that way based on twitter. 

I emphasize with her struggles and maybe I'm wrong but weren't her minutes limited because of Harmon? I'm a novice when it comes to women's basketball but her transfer reads like a player that transferred because she wasn't getting enough playing time. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't follow women's basketball closely but did Chevalier try to blame her mental health struggles on Texas? It reads that way based on twitter. 

I emphasize with her struggles and maybe I'm wrong but weren't her minutes limited because of Harmon? I'm a novice when it comes to women's basketball but her transfer reads like a player that transferred because she wasn't getting enough playing time. 

Correct. Then claimed no one at Texas supported her 

I went back and looked at the minutes Chevalier was playing prior to her transfer. She wasn't even getting great bench minutes outside of games that were blowouts. 2 minutes against A&M, 7 minutes against Tennessee, and 8 minutes against Stanford. 

It's such a delicate subject with mental health but it gets annoying when players blame schools for playing the better players. You want to be responsive to mental health issues but at the same time it's about winning basketball games. 

Assuming no attrition (HAHAHA), Texas would be 100% full for 2023-2024 with all 15 scholarships allotted.  Texas still has one left for 2022-23.   

This assumes:

• Matharu does not return for a COVID senior year (she is eligible)
  • Kobe and Femme's 2 year scholarships are renewed for super senior years (both eligible)
  • No other attrition among Holle, Gaston, Hunter or any of the freshman (Codio, Jak, Muhammad)
  • All 3 of the current recruits are scholarship (rumor that Boutilier may walk-on initially because her family can afford it)

We do not seem done with the 2023 class (still going after Brea Cunningham, Hannah Hidalgo and Aalyah Del Rosario based on social media follows of Sydney and Blair) so safe to assume they expect transfers or the JUCOs moving on after they get their degrees from Texas in 2023.  Probably TBD on if Matharu is going to move on or come back for a super senior year. 

Also Vic has a type - Aliyah Matharu, Aaliyah Moore and still targeting Aalyah Del Rosario.  Jesus Christ, Texas fans will be tongue tied figuring that out in 2023-2024 if all 3 are on the roster. 

• Haha 1