What the fuck is wrong with you, Lamesa?

Brisketexan

12 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

csb

Had a blowout in Floydada once and was cheerily educated on the eponyms, siblings Floyd and Ada. "So you see, it's not 'Floydada' at all," explained the tire repairman, "it's 'Floydada!' (pronouncing it exactly the same way)".

/csb

This story would not work if I had been travelling through Iraan.

Actually Iraan is very similar, as in, Ira- an. It is a 3 syllable name.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Actually Iraan is very similar, as in, Ira- an. It is a 3 syllable name.

Yes but in that case the pronunciation would need explaining, unlike in Floydada, where it is the same, which was the joke, which you did not get, because I'm not a good joke teller.

Unfortunately, I drive through Lamesa constantly on my way from Lubbock to San Angelo. One upside is if you have a craving for a chili relleno while cruising out this way, stop in at Pedroza's in Lamesa. That place is legit. 

https://www.facebook.com/pedrozas/

And anyone knockin' the Chihuahua taco/sandwich that with born at the Lamesa drive in has never had one. Recipes vary, but here is one that is close. Sometimes they throw on a hamburger patty. 

CHIHUAHUA SANDWICH
Yield: one
Ingredients:
2 fried corn tostada shells
2 tbsp. chopped onions
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chili, no beans
1/2 cup pimiento cheese spread
Directions:
Warm chili in a saucepan or microwave. Spread chili on one tostada shell. Top with onions and cabbage. Spread pimiento cheese on the other tostada shell. Put shells together and serve.
from the Sky-Vue Drive In—Lamesa, TX.

Edited by squib
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, squib said:

Unfortunately, I drive through Lamesa constantly on my way from Lubbock to San Angelo. One upside is if you have a craving for a chili relleno while cruising out this way, stop in at Pedroza's in Lamesa. That place is legit. 

https://www.facebook.com/pedrozas/

And anyone knockin' the Chihuahua taco/sandwich that with born at the Lamesa drive in has never had one. Recipes vary, but here is one that is close. Sometimes they throw on a hamburger patty. 

CHIHUAHUA SANDWICH
Yield: one
Ingredients:
2 fried corn tostada shells
2 tbsp. chopped onions
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chili, no beans
1/2 cup pimiento cheese spread
Directions:
Warm chili in a saucepan or microwave. Spread chili on one tostada shell. Top with onions and cabbage. Spread pimiento cheese on the other tostada shell. Put shells together and serve.
from the Sky-Vue Drive In—Lamesa, TX.

I'd eat that.  And, I mean, Lamesa has an Allsup's, so there's always other good fried grub to be had.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

Had a week-long jury trial in Groesbeck back in the day.  Stayed in Mexia.  One day, on a lark, decided to swing by Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken, thinking that they would have capitalized on their brush with fame and sell t-shirts or mugs or something.  I'd get one, it would be good for an inside joke chuckle with my guy friends.  Nope, they don't have any merch.  Leaving money on the table.

The old DQ had been converted to a damned good italian joint by a Croatian (I think) immigrant, so that was nice.  We ate there several times.

No way in hell any business in Mexia would advertise its association with a stripper/Playboy Bunny/etc, especially not the family that owns Jim's.  I think almost all of us that went to school in Mexia worked there at some point.  I actually did two stints.  Probably ate 10,000 of the rolls (the old ones, not the crap they have now).  

Couldn't agree more on the Italian joint.  Damn good food.

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

No way in hell any business in Mexia would advertise its association with a stripper/Playboy Bunny/etc, especially not the family that owns Jim's.  I think almost all of us that went to school in Mexia worked there at some point.  I actually did two stints.  Probably ate 10,000 of the rolls (the old ones, not the crap they have now).  

Couldn't agree more on the Italian joint.  Damn good food.

Don't advertise the association with the Bunny......just capitalize on the name.  Sell me a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken t-shirt -- my pervert friends will know the rest.

There was also one of those Taqueria Mexicano Grill places there (locations in Temple, Belton, etc.).  Damned good eats as well.

Is the italian place still there?

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Don't advertise the association with the Bunny......just capitalize on the name.  Sell me a Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken t-shirt -- my pervert friends will know the rest.

There was also one of those Taqueria Mexicano Grill places there (locations in Temple, Belton, etc.).  Damned good eats as well.

Is the italian place still there?

It was the last time I was there (2017)

If this guy is from Lamesa then not much is wrong with Lamesa.
music_feature-36302.jpeg
I miss that lovely soul just as much as any other human I have ever met.

Donnie? Well...

He's a Texas top hand
He's the number one man
When it comes to matters of an old cow hand
He could ride ‘em, he could break ‘em
And on Friday he'll be makin’
His way in to town to dance
With some old cowboy band

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Don at Jovitas. Cheese enchiladas. Most weeks, back in the day. 

Mark Rubin tells the story of Don requesting Ray Benson sing “Danny Boy” at his funeral. It was a dig at Benson, who can’t sing that song near as well as Don could. Ray sang another song. So Mark and another guy, whose name escapes me though I remember he was from Ft Worth, went back that night to sing “DB” over Don’s grave. -csb

(Edited to add that the Bad Liver Rubin now lives in New Orleans and performs as the Jew of Oklahoma).

Edited by Willfully Horn
Addition