Passed out in your car at an intersection with the engine running and car in gear? Cops pound on your windows for a full minute?

Gil Bang

Identify yourself as a cop, and the other cops fist-bump you and send you on your way!

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. — 9 Investigates why a Seminole County Sheriff’s Office captain wasn’t given a medical evaluation or sobriety test after being found passed out in traffic, his engine running and his foot on the brake, at a Seminole County intersection.

Channel 9 investigative reporter Karla Ray was the only one to obtain video of the incident, which shows a responding deputy giving the captain a fist bump before sending him on his way.

An agency spokesperson said responding deputies did not believe the driver was impaired or having a medical complication, but there is no way to know for sure, because no screenings were done.

On July 8, not far from Chuluota along County Road 419, concerned drivers called deputies and firefighters to check on a driver in an SUV.

This ad will end in 24 seconds
You can skip this ad in 9 seconds

July 20, 2021 at 6:54 pm EDT

By Karla Ray, WFTV.com

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. — 9 Investigates why a Seminole County Sheriff’s Office captain wasn’t given a medical evaluation or sobriety test after being found passed out in traffic, his engine running and his foot on the brake, at a Seminole County intersection.

Channel 9 investigative reporter Karla Ray was the only one to obtain video of the incident, which shows a responding deputy giving the captain a fist bump before sending him on his way.

An agency spokesperson said responding deputies did not believe the driver was impaired or having a medical complication, but there is no way to know for sure, because no screenings were done.

On July 8, not far from Chuluota along County Road 419, concerned drivers called deputies and firefighters to check on a driver in an SUV.

The man behind the wheel wasn’t moving, but the vehicle wasn’t in park, so two Seminole County deputies used their vehicles to box it in, before pounding on the window for a full minute to wake the driver.

“He either ODed or asleep?” one deputy speculated on body camera video.

The driver’s face is blurred in the video provided by the sheriff’s office, but we learned it is Capt. Kip Beacham, who oversees the Community Justice and Rehabilitation Division, according to the sheriff’s office website. He is a 24-year-veteran with the agency.

“Did you fall asleep? What happened?” a responding deputy questioned before realizing who the driver was.

“I’m a captain with the sheriff’s office,” Beacham is heard saying on camera.

“Oh, oh, (expletive), I’m sorry, man,” the responding deputy said.

Almost as quickly as crews arrived, they were ready to go. The off-duty captain, who was asleep in traffic just moments earlier, was allowed back out onto the roads without a screening by EMTs on site, a sobriety check, or further questioning.

“You’re good, just leave, this didn’t happen,” a responding deputy said while laughing.

9 Investigates asked whether there was a policy in place dictating what would trigger a sobriety or medical check before someone is allowed to drive away in a situation like this. A sheriff’s office spokesperson said every situation is unique, and it is ultimately the deputy’s discretion based on training and experience.

The spokesperson went on to say that upon awakening, the driver showed “no signs of impairment or further concerns to deputies.” An incident report was not completed.

Dash-cam at https://www.wftv.com/news/9investigates/scso-captain-found-passed-out-traffic-sent-home-without-sobriety-medical-screening/4EOWQTZALNFCRGWNPSPLHX5MYE/

A similar event happened with an old friend in Santa Monica some years ago.

He came-to with his car surrounded by emergency vehicles and a cop smashing his window with a nightstick.

He spent the night in jail.  Because he was indeed shithammered, as is often the case with someone WHO PASSES THE FUCK OUT IN TRAFFIC WITH THEIR CAR RUNNING.  He also said that the breakfast served at the city lockup there was first rate - black bean and egg tacos with fresh salsa.

But of course, he wasn't a cop.  Just a dumb grad student.

I have a buddy with epilepsy that this happened to.  Passed out at an intersection, but his foot came off the brake and his giant Dodge pickemup truck slow rolled through the intersection at an angle and hit the curb on the other side at ten miles per hour.   He was fine, but the Dodge was totaled.

• Haha 1

My BIL is a sheriff's deputy in Wilco. he told me this story:

One of their deputies was working at a road construction site somewhere in far north austin-- being paid off the clock to sit in his car with the lights on while the road crew worked on the road. He fell asleep and when the road crew was done, they packed up and left the guy asleep in his car completely blocking one now-open lane of traffic. Eventually an APD motorcycle cop woke him up and asked him wtf he was doing. He responded "working the road construction," but of course there was no road construction anymore.

Apparently that ass hat got fired.  Probably works in Manor or some small town now.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A similar event happened with an old friend in Santa Monica some years ago.

He came-to with his car surrounded by emergency vehicles and a cop smashing his window with a nightstick.

He spent the night in jail.  Because he was indeed shithammered, as is often the case with someone WHO PASSES THE FUCK OUT IN TRAFFIC WITH THEIR CAR RUNNING.  He also said that the breakfast served at the city lockup there was first rate - black bean and egg tacos with fresh salsa.

But of course, he wasn't a cop.  Just a dumb grad student.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

Sounds like a good way to get free tacos.

University Park jail in Dallas does great breakfast. Nice beds, too.

I came across a passed out motorist in Austin awhile back. It was late and we were the only cars on the road. Tried to wake him up. Ended up calling 911. Sucks to suck. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

University Park jail in Dallas does great breakfast. Nice beds, too.

I came across a passed out motorist in Austin awhile back. It was late and we were the only cars on the road. Tried to wake him up. Ended up calling 911. Sucks to suck. 

They used to give you the menu from Bubba’s and took your order.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I didn't get the menu but I did get breakfast from Bubba's. 

I think they quit doing it becauae homeless people were acting the fool for a good night’s sleep and quality food.  But they had so few people in jail it made sense to outsource the whole food operation.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I think they quit doing it becauae homeless people were acting the fool for a good night’s sleep and quality food.  But they had so few people in jail it made sense to outsource the whole food operation.

The Dallas drunk tank doesn't bother with a food operation. 

And I thought they just took homeless people out back in the Park cities and... rehomed them. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Dallas drunk tank doesn't bother with a food operation. 

And I thought they just took homeless people out back in the Park cities and... rehomed them. 

The Dallas drunk tank does not plan on holding anyone beyond their appearance before a judge the next morning.  Released on recognizance, post bail, or go to county.  I’m not real plugged into the Park Cities scene, but I think it was a thing  10-15 years ago.  I recall hearing someone talk about it.  I’m sure it was snuffed out quickly.  I have no plans to find out what their current food operation looks like.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The Dallas drunk tank does not plan on holding anyone beyond their appearance before a judge the next morning.  Released on recognizance, post bail, or go to county.  I’m not real plugged into the Park Cities scene, but I think it was a thing  10-15 years ago.  I recall hearing someone talk about it.  I’m sure it was snuffed out quickly.  I have no plans to find out what their current food operation looks like.

Good point. Park cities jail probably holds various offenders. 

I have no plans on visiting either ever again.

I fell asleep in the Port A ferry line once.  I was in high school and me and a buddy spent the first part in Ruidoso skiing  with a group of friends and second half in Port A partying.  It was late Sunday afternoon and I get in the ferry line, it’s all the way across town and takes over two hours to get to the loading area. (In that time two bums got into a fight in front of my car). I’m like two groups to go to get on and fell asleep….  Wake up with no cars in front of me and them telling me to wait there.  Cops pull up, im sober actually for the first time in a week.  They search my car and give me a sobriety test and tell me to be careful on my way home and pull over if I have to, I was just exhausted. 

My BIL is a sheriff's deputy in Wilco. he told me this story:
One of their deputies was working at a road construction site somewhere in far north austin-- being paid off the clock to sit in his car with the lights on while the road crew worked on the road. He fell asleep and when the road crew was done, they packed up and left the guy asleep in his car completely blocking one now-open lane of traffic. Eventually an APD motorcycle cop woke him up and asked him wtf he was doing. He responded "working the road construction," but of course there was no road construction anymore.
Apparently that ass hat got fired.  Probably works in Manor or some small town now.

When you are too stupid to set the phone alarm.
  • Hook 'Em 1

When working at a firm on far west 6th, I was always the first there opening the building.  One morning I arrived and there was a running convertible in the parking lot, not parked in a space, just randomly stopped.  I went ahead and parked in my usual space a walked toward the car.  I couldn't make out what it was, just a huge mass of hair. I start the "hello, hello, are you OK?", two chicks wake up.  They had passed out leaning on each other, head to head.

• Haha 1

On literally 4 or 5 occasions in my life I've seen people pass out and fall asleep in front of me in the drive-thru line at a 24 hour Whataburger or JITB, between hours 2-4am. 

The good thing is that if you are eating JITB or Whataburger between the hours of 2-5am and not drunk, you are probably drunk adjacent (i.e. stoned or could easily be a drunk person but things didn't go to plan for that night) and so you are likely to help by honking the horn and banging on the window and getting them to move up rather than call the cops.

• Hook 'Em 1

Two weeks ago cops found my BIL (Tampa Area) passed out in his car at a Chile's, took him to the hospital where he woke up an started verbally assaulting the staff, breaking equipment, and taking swings at nurses.  They gave him a shot to calm down but because he apparently had pneumonia, he passed out again and had trouble breathing so they induced a coma and put him on a respirator.

Of course when we first found out he was in the hospital, all they told was that he was in ICU on a respirator.  That was tense couple of hours.  That guy is a piece of work.  He is an MIT grad-Million dollar head and a 5 cent personality.

Back in the day we pulled up behind a guy in a pickup at a red light on Red River coming home from Downtown. We honked a few times, then tried to pull around. We saw he was slumped down with his chin on his chest and the windows down, jamming some tunes at high volume. I hopped out and tried to shake him awake. He mumbled something and went back down, obviously drunk as shit. I reached in and put his truck in park and hit his flashers and left him there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Back in the day we pulled up behind a guy in a pickup at a red light on Red River coming home from Downtown. We honked a few times, then tried to pull around. We saw he was slumped down with his chin on his chest and the windows down, jamming some tunes at high volume. I hopped out and tried to shake him awake. He mumbled something and went back down, obviously drunk as shit. I reached in and put his truck in park and hit his flashers and left him there. 

We used to hang out on my porch real late when I lived in Houston's Museum District. Our quadplex was on a reasonably busy backstreet corner with a four-way stop. Around two or three one morning this Range Rover came to the stop sign and then just sat there....One minute, two, three, five...After about ten minutes I went over and checked it out and it was a middle-aged couple, BOTH passed out. The driver woke up and said nothing, kinda looked at me sheepishly and drove away....I couldn't smell booze, but then I was drunk too, so...