Online School - Cyber Security

I'm thinking about reeducating myself.

Cyber Security seems like a needed field, and for health and wanting to travel, I think one can do it from "home"?

Anyone in the field?

UT has a program, 6 months? 10k?

https://professionaled.utexas.edu/cybersecurity-certificate-program

Stanford has one for 3k?

https://online.stanford.edu/programs/advanced-cybersecurity-program

What will an employer think about these?  

Any other recommendations on "schools"?

What certifications do I want to achieve?

Thanks!

I'm a cybersecurity analyst. We started working from home since Covid, and made it permanent. Certificate programs will help. Some of the more advanced ones do seem to carry some weight, but so will familiarity with the various tools we use. We generally hire people in one of two ways:

1) We grab them as interns (For some reason we hire a ton from UTSA's program, I guess it is rated very highly?) and offer full-time positions to the good ones.

2) We hire people who have a lot of experience in one of the specific applications we use the most. In this case, certs are completely optional, they do look slightly better on a resume, but we'll probably hire the one with more specific experience.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:59 PM, MillerEP said:

I'm a cybersecurity analyst. We started working from home since Covid, and made it permanent. Certificate programs will help. Some of the more advanced ones do seem to carry some weight, but so will familiarity with the various tools we use. We generally hire people in one of two ways:

1) We grab them as interns (For some reason we hire a ton from UTSA's program, I guess it is rated very highly?) and offer full-time positions to the good ones.

2) We hire people who have a lot of experience in one of the specific applications we use the most. In this case, certs are completely optional, they do look slightly better on a resume, but we'll probably hire the one with more specific experience.

To build on #2, jobs are more narrowed nowadays. People get hired because of their knowledge/experience in certain fields. So check out the different areas and figure out where you want to specialize. Do you enjoy audits? Do you enjoy getting down into programming code? Do you like helping people write policies/procedures? Do you like penetration testing?

Much of these certs/degrees/programs depend on what you want to do.

Auditing is great when you’re enemy is the auditor. It’s not security. Don’t let anyone ever tell you it is.

White box firms care about different things than companies that just do pen testing. Most people also think of pen testing as something it’s not.

If you have no technology background, you’re rowing up river. It’s going to be tough. Even if you do, you really need a good mentor to set you on the right path and not waste your time and money.