Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

37 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Texas and OU do not own their Tier 1 rights. The Big 12 Conference owns it until 2025. 

Fuck, how are you this gotdamn dumb? I thought Texas academics was superior.

The 8 stay together, they will get the Tier 1 money from Texas and OU. No matter where they play plus penalty.

This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass. 

Arthur Digby Sellars, wrote the bulk of the series dude

Well first, sovereign immunity means this may not be enforceable at all, and if Big 12 tried to go nuclear and seeks $156 million in penalties, plus all of Texas and OU’s tv rights payouts through 2025, then they will absolutely play that card. 

Second, the “buyout” is not a buyout because UT and OU aren’t released from their obligations, so it’s really just a penalty, which would be unenforceable. So you’ve now thrown $156 million right out the window.

Third, you think it’s smart for Tech and all the other schools to sue ESPN when they will be the single biggest player in realignment moving forward? Tech’s not exactly operating form a position of peer here. They’ll need all the help they can get, so maybe not smart to bite the hand that feeds you.
Not to mention that ESPN controls a large portion of the Big 12’s remaining TV payout through 

And let’s just say Tech does get an offer from the PAC, maybe just maybe  it wouldn’t be smart to endorse the nuclear option against schools that leave the Big 12 early. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Have fun in the MWC!!!  You're willing to mortgage your future over 20 mil?  I know that's a lot of money in Lubbock but you still want to play football after we leave right?  Some of the 8, maybe not you as I guess you're not viewed as "desirable" are already looking around.  Bowlsby is trying to save his job and you and the freeloading 8 are the jilted ex wife.  Now, go bother your future conference mates.  I think the USF board is east of here.  I look forward to watchin you guys on Raycom at 4 am.

They did it before for less than 5% of that, albeit not the entire athletic program.

Edited by slorch

58 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

RRS is not stating any of that. The 247 is where the Qarons congregate. $9.95 is where its at. 

I subscribed to that site for grins after the Yeager guy lost his shit about Beard leaving and wrote one of the most unhinged articles ever written in the name of "journalism". It's high entertainment. If you think I'm seeking out some sort of levelheaded base of fans within the Tech realm, you're mistaken. Besides, having lived in Texas all of my life and interacted with Tech people throughout the journey, I'm fairly certain there isn't a site that could claim as much anyway. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I’ll paraphrase what Bobby is saying now:

”It’s not illegal to discuss hypotheticals.  It’s illegal to (now) enter into agreements.”

Bowlsby know he’s screwed, and if you’re part of the Tagalong 8, you have some dumbass leadership (and fans) if you’re falling for this and rooting it on. 

Yeah, but what else do they have to hold on to right now? A week ago, they had no idea this was coming (so soon anyway). Now we are on the cusp of being it all being official. That's not a lot of time to accept that their welfare state has collapsed. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well first, sovereign immunity means this may not be enforceable at all, and if Big 12 tried to go nuclear and seeks $156 million in penalties, plus all of Texas and OU’s tv rights payouts through 2025, then they will absolutely play that card. 

Second, the “buyout” is not a buyout because UT and OU aren’t released from their obligations, so it’s really just a penalty, which would be unenforceable. So you’ve now thrown $156 million right out the window.

Third, you think it’s smart for Tech and all the other schools to sue ESPN when they will be the single biggest player in realignment moving forward? Tech’s not exactly operating form a position of peer here. They’ll need all the help they can get, so maybe not smart to bite the hand that feeds you.
Not to mention that ESPN controls a large portion of the Big 12’s remaining TV payout through 

And let’s just say Tech does get an offer from the PAC, maybe just maybe  it wouldn’t be smart to endorse the nuclear option against schools that leave the Big 12 early. 

Curious about what would happen if B12 pushes this effort along.  Are previous settlements any kind of precedent for how this gets handled??

How much will it cost Texas to leave the Big 12?

According to Big 12 bylaws, the buyout amount is equal to the last two years of distributions from the conference during the final two years of its membership, a number that is likely close to $80 million each.

But that’s where the lawyers come in — in previous instances of conference realignment, the conference typically settled on exit fees significantly lower than dictated by the conference bylaws. In the case of Maryland leaving the ACC for the Big Ten, the legal process drew out for close to two years, included lawsuits from both sides and resulted in the Terrapins forfeiting $31.4 million in distributions instead of paying the $52.2 million the school owed. When Missouri and Texas A&M left the Big 12, the estimated total of around $30 million resulted in settlements for $12.4 million.

In other words, those schools settled for between 40 and 60 percent of what they owed, putting a potential exit fee for Texas at somewhere between $32 million and $48 million, but that’s just a rough guess based on previous settlements.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Curious about what would happen if B12 pushes this effort along.  Are previous settlements any kind of precedent for how this gets handled??

There is a reason why none of these issues have gone to court.

Most of the time they come to an agreement quickly because no one wants to deal with all the potential headaches of a lawsuit and most schools don’t really have the stomach or the funding to go the long prostrated legal route.

Conferences and the Networks don’t want to have to deal with the potential risk of if they are found to be unenforceable due to SI.

So in the end they settle. Not sure if that is the case now. The B12 knows once UT and OU leave they are done and are fighting for as much as they can get and both UT and to an extent OU have the horses to fight this out. 

If it goes to court a ruling to SI applies here would have a massive impact on the current college landscape.

Think about it this way, what would happen right now if it was found out all the GOR signed are useless? What type of chaos would ensue? Who would leave their current setup? Who would get pushed out?

The reason why they settle is that no one wants to open Pandora’s box and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

None of this matters until the B1G makes whatever countermove it is going to make. Sounds like the ACC GOR until 2036 will keep the B1G out of tobacco road. Thus, the only viable expansion options will be west. I think that the B1G will gut the Pac 12 and go to 20 taking the four California schools, Oregon and Colorado. They will go to 5 team pods, with CU moving into a 5 team POD with Corn, Minnesota, Wisky and Iowa. The West Coast teams will be a pod and they will divide the remaining 10 equally. You play your Pod (4), one other Pod (rotates) (5), and one floating conference game to allow for the inevitable permanent rival games. The western two Pods play a semifinal, with the eastern two doing the same. The winners advance to a conference championship game called the Rose Bowl. The B1G will claim that the saved the soul of the tradition and the Pac 12 while gutting it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I suspect that something like this will happen:

1. A few of the remaining 8 like KU, TTU and maybe WVU and ISU will find a landing spot they like or can live with.  It will get to a point where there are enough votes to dissolve the Big 12.

2. The 8 schools will agree to dissolve if Texas and OU pay a portion of the buy out.  I think 50% is a possibility.

3. Texas and OU will pay the reduced buyout, the other 8 will divide it up and then the Big 12 will dissolve after the 21-22 academic/athletic season.

Texas and OU will be free to be invited to the SEC for 2022+ and the other schools will go to their new homes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Big 12 fighting ESPN will be fun. Are they just hoping Fox pays them a bunch of money? Who else is there? CBS? NBC?

TNN has some open time slots after Crook and Chase and before Hee Haw. Ever since they lost NASCAR, they've needed some new content.

18 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I suspect that something like this will happen:

1. A few of the remaining 8 like KU, TTU and maybe WVU and ISU will find a landing spot they like or can live with.  It will get to a point where there are enough votes to dissolve the Big 12.

2. The 8 schools will agree to dissolve if Texas and OU pay a portion of the buy out.  I think 50% is a possibility.

3. Texas and OU will pay the reduced buyout, the other 8 will divide it up and then the Big 12 will dissolve after the 21-22 academic/athletic season.

Texas and OU will be free to be invited to the SEC for 2022+ and the other schools will go to their new homes.

Fine, but why would the 8 leave before the GOR expires. Makes no business sense. How about 200%? 

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Right. That's been their stance in the past. And it will be their stance until it's not. 

Football brands and viewers those brands bring to the table is the driving factor in all of this. You may see those standards loosen up if they want to create a league that can rival the SEC in total football brands/viewers.

I'm not predicting they will change their standards. I'm just saying it's silly to think that they wouldn't find a way to justify adding "non-elite" academic schools if it increases the value of their potential broadcast deals in the Worldwide Prestige world of CFB we are entering.

So... you know... we all have our "sources." I have one myself whom I trust very much and I think this statement is not true at all.

I have my sources too, and the Pac deal is real. We greased many skids to make it happen. Tons of free weed to the Oregon, Washington, and Colorado schools, fine wine and chees to Cal and Stanford, hookers and blow to UCLA and USC, coeds and std vaccines to Arizona schools, and lots of magic underwear to the Utes. It's done y'all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why would any network honor a GOR for the Big 12 without Texas and OU?

Network belongs to Mouse who answers to shareholders. Typically, investors do not like litigation. Litigation invites risk and loss. Invites subpoenas and CEO’s under oath. 

Best to mitigate the loss. 

• Fuck You 7

15 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Fine, but why would the 8 leave before the GOR expires. Makes no business sense. How about 200%? 

Because ESPN/FOX agreed to keep the Big 12 whole last go 'round with the additions of WVU and TCU. It's doubtful that they'll be inclined to do so this time, but we could be wrong.

Just now, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Network belongs to Mouse who answers to shareholders. Typically, investors do not like litigation. Litigation invites risk and loss. Invites subpoenas and CEO’s under oath. 

Which is why the Big 12 will be accepting a negotiated settlement.

3 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

You believe mitigation will mean full enforcement of GOR? Is this a bit?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And then what?   You gonna quit football?   Good luck on your next deal with espn.  They’ll remember

Yep.

If the loser8 want to burn all the bridges with the networks and other conferences, they can collect some free money from Texas/OU. What kind of future does that set you up for? Fucking absolute retards just like bowlsby

We should just schedule 2021 with the SEC, put all the games on LHN or ESPN or whatever, and just let the B12 drain whatever is left in their bank account trying to sue us.

Why would we even come play this season in this shit conference with the way the rest of the B12 and the "leadershit" is acting?

gewgewg.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Enlighten me. Please. How is this not a lawyers dream? The mouse, the Klan Konference, the Thief, and THE Cow. 

Big 12 owns the Tier 1 rights until 2025. If the mouse doesn’t pay they are going to end up in US district court at the very least. 

Fuck off do you even know how connected the mouse is to the federal government and intelligence agencies?

Good luck suing them, hilarious notion that espin is going to be dumping millions in bowelsby bank account

I guess I'd rather be in the Klan Konference than the rape cover up shit officiating conference too. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In reading the Inside Red Raider 247 site to quickly catch-up on the non-slorch tech thinking, it’s pretty grim. 

a) they’re cheering on Bowlsby “suing” ESPN with this letter. 

b) they expect Fox and the Big 12 to file lawsuits against Texas, OU, the SEC and ESPN today in order to prevent UT and OU from realigning. 

c) they are perfectly fine losing ESPN as a bidder on all future media opportunities. 

d) they think Bowlsby has been UT’s lapdog the entire time. 

e) they’re insulted at the notion of an augmented AAC and believe that all of the Irate 8 should be doing nothing but rebuilding the conference or holding out for the other P5 conference invites. 

That’s from 2 threads. There’s a toxic level of stupid over there and you can only hang out for so long. 

It cant be worse than baylor;s.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm likely slow and certainly not an attorney, just thinking through this.

GoR only relates to Tier I rights. They get OU and Texas share but have drastically reduced Fox contract (ESPN may pull out altogether). 

Texas is still owed LHN contract for their Tier III rights by ESPN. GoR doesn't relate to this. If ESPN accelerates those payments in deal to fold LHN into SECW network, Texas is not impacted by the GoR. Oklahoma's may be fucked, though--or maybe their Tier III is bought out in some way also?

5 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Aside from actual Baylor fans, does anyone give a fuck if they watch another Baylor game, ever? 

No, and they're the only program I can think of where people actively want to see them fail for reasons outside athletic competition (Penn State too I guess but they're not part of realignment). All other hate is based on athletics rivalries. People, including those who have no reason to care about Baylor otherwise, actively despite them for their murder and rape scandals, and in particular their horrid conduct after the rape scandal was revealed.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

No, and they're the only program I can think of where people actively want to see them fail for reasons outside athletic competition (Penn State too I guess but they're not part of realignment). All other hate is based on athletics rivalries. People, including those who have no reason to care about Baylor otherwise, actively despite them for their murder and rape scandals, and in particular their horrid conduct after the rape scandal was revealed.

tenor.gif.306d5be2227f7abf06549276b7d436c9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech and OSU need to get out right fucking now before the Big 12 drags them into they nobody cares conference.

The whole point of the ESPN disinformation campaign and the planting of stories was to create panic and desperation among those left in the lurch and force them to take ESPN’s “help.” Was working like a charm until one school sold everybody out.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You ever hear of sovereign immunity?  Mike Leach has.

Right.  This is why there will be some kind of deal worked out.

"Texas/OU:  The aggies paid $12.4M when they left so let's assume that is the starting point of negotiations.

Bowlsby: We won't negotiate, pay it all!!!

Texas/OU:  Okay, then we will pay $0 and not fulfill the terms of the contract at all including the GOR etc.

Bowlsby:  We'll sue!!!!  All the legal arguments and contractual terms are on our side!!!

Texas/OU:  Sovereign immunity....so you get $0.    Are there any adults we can talk to?"

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Drew said:

What’s the point of this? If they stop Texas and OU leaving now they can still leave after 2025. They really think Texas and OU will play good conference mates until then after all this shit?

Its all about the Benjamins.

If ESPN wants UT and OU out before 2025, FUPM.

Big 12 leftovers want their $20-$25 million a year in 2022, 2023, and 2024 and they want some sort of exit fee from UT and OU, preferably $80 million each.

ESPN wants UT and OU in SEC in 2022 and doesn't want to have to pay Big 12.

They'll settle somewhere in between in the next couple of months.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Aside from actual Baylor fans, does anyone give a fuck if they watch another Baylor game, ever? 

This is frankly one of the absolute best benefits of going to the SEC. Seeing Baylor come to the realization that no one wants their rape enabling cesspool of a College in their conference.

I hope Baylor has to buy informercial time on the Food Network in order to even get their sports programs highlights shown on TV.

Fuck everything about them. Burn them down and salt the fucking earth.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, bullet said:

Big 12 leftovers want their $20-$25 million a year in 2022, 2023, and 2024 and they want some sort of exit fee from UT and OU, preferably $80 million each.

I'm inclined to believe that all of this has already been cussed and discussed between Texas/ou/sec/espn.  And apparently all systems pointed to GO.  But I know nothing.  

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I have my sources too, and the Pac deal is real. We greased many skids to make it happen. Tons of free weed to the Oregon, Washington, and Colorado schools, fine wine and chees to Cal and Stanford, hookers and blow to UCLA and USC, coeds and std vaccines to Arizona schools, and lots of magic underwear to the Utes. It's done y'all.

Hope y'all land on your feet.  Its the belief you can get in the Big 10 that is a fantasy that even makes an aggy mnc look realistic.

27 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This is frankly one of the absolute best benefits of going to the SEC. Seeing Baylor come to the realization that no one wants their rape enabling cesspool of a College in their conference.

I hope Baylor has to buy informercial time on the Food Network in order to even get their sports programs highlights shown on TV.

Fuck everything about them. Burn them down and salt the fucking earth.

Fuck yes. #FatwaForever

21 minutes ago, bullet said:

Hope y'all land on your feet.  Its the belief you can get in the Big 10 that is a fantasy that even makes an aggy mnc look realistic.

I don't think anyone *believes* this.

I personally tend to think that the most likely scenario is that OSU/Tech and two others of KU, K-State, Iowa State and TCU will end up in the PAC, probably depending on what the B1G ends up doing.

If the PAC were smart (they're not), they would snap up OSU, Tech, KU, K-State, Iowa State and TCU before the B1G can get their hands on any of them.

That would give them an 18-team super-conference that would span Pacific-Central time zones, giving them more East Coast broadcast exposure via 6 teams in the Central; you kind of back-door you way into DFW via OSU, Tech and TCU.... you would have pretty good football and EXCELLENT basketball. 

It makes so much sense that it would probably never happen.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, bullet said:

OU is broke. The Norman campus alone is a billion dollars in the red. Its value is all smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Satchel

There's some potential good news for most of the IR8 in this interview with the former head of ESPN, given how he keeps referencing 4x16 as a potential (likely?) superconference format.  I was not expecting that, at all:

21 minutes, but worth the watch.  But I'll soon post a summary on the general realignment thread.

Edit:  Here ya go:  

Edited by clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

This wouldn’t be funny if Bowlsby had the balls to actually do this. No worries.

So fucking dumb.

Big 12: “Texas and Ou we are sanctioning you from playing in the bowl games and playoff!!”

TX/OU: “Fuck off because we’re doing it anyway and by the way the networks want us to.”

Big 12: “ fart noises.”

Look. Everyone has got to have their little spasm and big hissyfit like aggy did but at the end of the day it’s all just business and everyone will even fall in line just like aggy did. Litigation will be threatened and then deals will be made and everyone will walk away not happy but ok with it except rape enabling Baylor because they are turbo fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So fucking dumb.

Big 12: “Texas and Ou we are sanctioning you from playing in the bowl games and playoff!!”

TX/OU: “Fuck off because we’re doing it anyway and by the way the networks want us to.”

Big 12: “ fart noises.”

When can we watch the whole series on HBO ...