Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve interviewed probably more than 1,000 people and had at least 1000 work for me. UH grads, by far, are the best on average of any of them. That includes tons of UT, ATM, and Ivy types. All things equal, hire the hot woman. All things equal beyond that, hire the UH grad. They come in acting like they have something to prove and the foundation they’re working from (business, economics or comms degrees for our stuff usually) is terrific. 

UT people are either amazeballs or need to have their entitled asses fired in week one. Ivy and Stanford are the same. ATM 2%ers are fine but the redasses, and they’re decent at hiding until your hire them, are absolute toxic trash. Tech and also-ran Texas schools are often fine if not high ceiling. I used to think LSU people were below state of Texas GEDs, but the last three I’ve had on a team were smoking hot and better workers. 

Rice people are few and far between in the business world but usually excellent. As a rule, don’t hire Baylor people. Anyway, what were we discussing?

You’re the Wilt Chamberlin of hiring

• Haha 5

Again, why is 16 supposedly a hard cap for the ACC, but not the B1G?

The SEC hasn’t fully shown their hand. Are we going 4 conferences of 16 or something different?

Tech or OSU by themselves is a complete outlier. If you take both, then you are at 16 so if we ultimately go 4 of 16 what move do you make?

Really I think all other conferences are waiting to see the SECs long game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

This. I just don’t get it. If you had to have attended the school to be a fan, very few programs would be able to exist, much less be huge profit generators. Such a stupid thing to focus on. You like Texas, great! Me too! I don’t give a shit if you attended. In fact, I think that’s even better in some cases. Those folks don’t have any secondary reasons for their fandom (e.g., “well I spent a shit ton of money, and I’ll still paying them back for the next few decades, so I guess I kinda have to root for them”). They’re just fans 100% because they have always liked the program.

IDGAF if they like a particular program.  Their business.  Agree 100%

The second they engage in smack talk or the vaunted UT superiority complex in relation to my school, they can fuck right off.  Most of the real Texas folks I know don't fucking go there, because they don't have to.  It's typically the fucking shitbirds who never even went there.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

This. I just don’t get it. If you had to have attended the school to be a fan, very few programs would be able to exist, much less be huge profit generators. Such a stupid thing to focus on. You like Texas, great! Me too! I don’t give a shit if you attended. In fact, I think that’s even better in some cases. Those folks don’t have any secondary reasons for their fandom (e.g., “well I spent a shit ton of money, and I’ll still paying them back for the next few decades, so I guess I kinda have to root for them”). They’re just fans 100% because they have always liked the program.

I've been a t-shirt fan for 55-60 years.  Can I stay?😄🤘🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

I don't think the Big 10 has to do anything, frankly. The Pac 12 is the one holding the bag as far as needing to make some sort of a move. But with their geography, any remaining Big 12 school is a reach. Until 2024, neither the Big 10 or Pac 12 really has to do anything. Yes, the Pac 12 is behind in money but that's a conference I could easily see doing something with streaming platforms going forward and make a decent amount. Now that that moron, Larry Scott, is out of the way, the Pac 12 can get more creative. The Big 10 can sit pat because they have the most money currently. They did the best on their conference network. Fox will keep their deal going forward. ESPN can only buy so many conferences and now that the playoffs might go out to a larger bid, ESPN will want to hold onto that. They've locked in the SEC and ACC, the two conferences that have won the most recently. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Matt Wells doesn't know jack squat.  He needs to just focus on football at this point and figure out how to no longer suck.  Maybe if he had done a better job coaching the past two years we would have better TV ratings and be in a better spot to land in PAC12.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

TCU does NOT bring the metroplex. Tech needs to distance themselves from every school except Oklahoma State.  And possibly Kansas.

I went to LinkedIn and pulled alumni by school for DFW and Houston metro areas.  Tech has just about as many alumni in DFW as UT and also has a decent presence in Houston.  That is beyond their strong position in the 2M population in the Panhandle and South Plains.

They need to be marketing to the PAC-10 that they give them:

1. A foothold in Texas for recruiting
  2. Eyeballs in DFW and Houston
  3. Central time-zone game times
  4. Competitive teams in most sports
  5. Improving academics
  6. A very willing and motivated partner in Oklahoma State

Dallas + Ft Worth

• 142,027 – North Texas
  • 110,037 – UT Arlington
  • 76,036 – UT Dallas 
  • 63,992 – Texas A&M
  • 47,212 – UT Austin
  • 47,039 – Texas Tech
  • 42,684 – SMU
  • 31,061 – TCU
  • 22,230 – Baylor
  • 17,797 – OU
  • 16,703 – Texas State
  • 15,297 – OSU
  • 11,319 – Arkansas
  • 9,896 – Houston
  • 8,091 – LSU
  • 5,719 – UTSA

Houston

• 158,631 – Houston
  • 84,608 – Texas A&M
  • 52,535 – UT Austin
  • 30,912 – Texas Tech
  • 22,065 – Texas State
  • 14,807 – LSU
  • 12,337 – Baylor
  • 9,986 – UTSA
  • 9,016 – North Texas
  • 8,650 – UT-Arlington
  • 6,405 – OU
  • 5,372 – OSU
  • 4,280 – SMU
  • 3,794 – UT Dallas

Houston would be vastly better than Baylor for a variety of reasons. The PAC-12 could do MUCH worse than a 4-some of Tech, Okie State, Houston and Kansas.  

In 30 years in Houston I ran across 2 Texas Tech grads.  Ran into far more LSU, Baylor and even Texas St. people.  And UT-Dallas 3rd in DFW?  Until recently it was a very small school.  These numbers look suspicious.  As for aggy in DFW, A&M was a smaller school than UT until the last 10 years when they decided to supersize to keep Rick Perry happy.  They were much smaller prior to the 1990s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Where is all this UH is hard to get into talk coming from? Internet says 65% acceptance rate.

Compare it to the SEC schools other than UGA, Florida, Vandy and aggy.

Alabama's average SAT isn't even as high as Alabama-Huntsville, let alone Auburn or Houston.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Tceh+TCU+Baylor is probably a political move.  If no P4 bites, then they can tell the politicians, "Hey, we tried."  Doesn't stop them from later shopping around or accepting lone offers.

Likely a non-starter for the Pac (unless Fox/USC is/are really pushing this for some reason) and B1G, but in theory has a shot at working with the ACC.  Last week the previous ESPN president, John Skipper, said that while basketball is only about 20% of a school's value, in the ACC it's more like 35%.  So Baylor's title and recent bball history might save them.  I wouldn't predict it, but possible.  But in that scenario does the ACC really need TCU?

OTOH, Skipper also said the ACC is concerned about saving spot 16 for ND.  Which makes no sense to me, why is 16 a magical number that no conference might go beyond?  Obviously if the B1G raids the best of the Pac, they aren't taking just 2 (non-football travel too painful if you don't have enough schools for a west coast division/pod/commune).  I have a hard time believing any conference would ever turn down ND.  And I'm skeptical that we'll ever end up with a tidy 4x16.

The reason for saving 16 for ND is so that you don't have to go beyond 16.  With 16 you can offer ND a 7 game conference schedule, giving them some scheduling flexibility.  With 18, you have to play 8 to finish division play (yes there's all this division-less stuff out there, but it is not allowed now and no guarantee it will be).  Plus with 18 it gets harder and harder to pretend you are one conference and not two conferences joined by a TV contract.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve interviewed probably more than 1,000 people and had at least 1000 work for me. UH grads, by far, are the best on average of any of them. That includes tons of UT, ATM, and Ivy types. All things equal, hire the hot woman. All things equal beyond that, hire the UH grad. They come in acting like they have something to prove and the foundation they’re working from (business, economics or comms degrees for our stuff usually) is terrific. 

UT people are either amazeballs or need to have their entitled asses fired in week one. Ivy and Stanford are the same. ATM 2%ers are fine but the redasses, and they’re decent at hiding until your hire them, are absolute toxic trash. Tech and also-ran Texas schools are often fine if not high ceiling. I used to think LSU people were below state of Texas GEDs, but the last three I’ve had on a team were smoking hot and better workers. 

Rice people are few and far between in the business world but usually excellent. As a rule, don’t hire Baylor people. Anyway, what were we discussing?

Another good person to get perspective from would be South Austin's mom.

• Haha 2

In 30 years in Houston I ran across 2 Texas Tech grads.  Ran into far more LSU, Baylor and even Texas St. people.  And UT-Dallas 3rd in DFW?  Until recently it was a very small school.  These numbers look suspicious.  As for aggy in DFW, A&M was a smaller school than UT until the last 10 years when they decided to supersize to keep Rick Perry happy.  They were much smaller prior to the 1990s.
UT Dallas has had enrollment of over 20,000 students for at least 8-9 years. Today they have almost 30,000. The bulk of those grads stay in the DFW area.

Who knows, maybe they just use LinkedIn at a higher rate than other schools and skewed my data. It will be interesting to see what they look like in 20 years. Their academics are improving and they are cranking out a lot of alumni.

58 minutes ago, HookEm said:

UT Dallas has had enrollment of over 20,000 students for at least 8-9 years. Today they have almost 30,000. The bulk of those grads stay in the DFW area.

Who knows, maybe they just use LinkedIn at a higher rate than other schools and skewed my data. It will be interesting to see what they look like in 20 years. Their academics are improving and they are cranking out a lot of alumni.

No, that sounds right.  It's kind of a unicorn, a pretty rigorous commuter school with a pretty high-quality student body.

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

ACC and PAC don’t need to expand past 16 because then they’ll have too many teams to be invited in full to any breakaway league.

Say the ACC adds WVU, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, UConn and Buffalo to get to 20, do you think the SEC leadership would add the entire conference with equal distribution of TV money where those schools would receive the same shares as Alabama and Florida?

The answer is obviously no.  The ACC is pretty solid, yes there are a few too many schools from NC like Wake Forest or NCSU that may not be necessary, or schools like Syracuse and Boston College that are just not super competitive but might have been included in the past for market purposes but if they aren’t pulling viewers (which is easy to track now) then they could be left out.

Still if it’s only a school or two, it’s probably easier politically to just accept the conference as is, but if they are too big the culling the herd would be a requirement and if a school like Wake Forest votes to go bigger than 16 then they likely are voting themselves out of any future super league setup.

Why doesn’t this apply the the SEC/B1G?  Well SEC and maybe the B1G (before Rutger/Maryland) have more quality schools pound per pound than the PAC/ACC and it commonly viewed that any super conference breakaway league would likely require the SEC/B1G, because where they go the ACC/PAC will follow.

That being said, if the B1G decides to expand with PAC schools then the PAC (like the Big12) would no longer be included.  If the B1G makes a play for the PAC heavyweights and end up with all 9 AAU schools from the PAC then their new 23 team conference would probably grab another (like Kansas) and divide into sub conferences which would then push the SEC to do similarly and grab 8 more like FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA and the like to have their own 24 team setup.  Then you have your NFL college setup.  The 24 team B1G/PAC is the AFC, and the 24 team SEC/ACC is the NFC.  6 pod (aka division) winners will go to the league playoff (8 if you want some at large spots) and the 2 leagues face each other in the national championship game.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Was listening to DP.  Pac has no interest in the Texas teams.

PAC 12 would prefer to add bigger/better candidates, but as the weakest P4 conference I think the most important thing would be for them to add good enough teams that provide a Central Time Zone for game times.  Those horrible 11AM CST kick offs Oklahoma complained about would be great to get exposure for the existing  PAC 12 teams in the Central and Eastern time zones.

However I agree with DP that the PAC 12 likely has little interest as they remain focused on prestige over exposure and dollars.

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

PAC 12 would prefer to add bigger/better candidates, but as the weakest P4 conference I think the most important thing would be for them to add good enough teams that provide a Central Time Zone for game times.  Those horrible 11AM CST kick offs Oklahoma complained about would be great to get exposure for the existing  PAC 12 teams in the Central and Eastern time zones.

However I agree with DP that the PAC 12 likely has little interest as they remain focused on prestige over exposure and dollars.

Yep. I said this a few pages back, but if the PAC was bold (they're not), they would try and add the best of the leftover Big 12 ASAP. It would significantly increase their exposure to more desirable Central/Eastern time zone broadcast windows and get to (at least partially) claim DFW, KC, and OKC TV markets.

But PAC leadership is about as forward-thinking as the Big 12's, so they'll probably just sit on their hands until the B1G poaches their big-hitters.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Does anyone here really give a shit about that?

I'm gonna guess most of the people in the room don't, maybe even some of the speakers. But it probably would look bad to some portion of their base if they didn't bitch. 

Short answer, nope, nobody on here!

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

The PAC should definitely consider adding at least OSU and Tech. I would actually watch those schools against the PAC, and I bet a lot of other non-fans of those schools would too. Right now, I couldn't care less about what happens in a PAC season.

If the PAC decides to stay strictly west coast, they will continue their slow death. Adding central time zone games and trying to at least have a market or two in and around Texas is what is best for that league. So they probably won't do it.

The B1G never did anything for me, and I never wanted to join there. I was somewhat excited about the PAC 16 deal that fell through. Man, am I glad that fell through now...

20 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Matt Wells doesn't know jack squat.  He needs to just focus on football at this point and figure out how to no longer suck.  Maybe if he had done a better job coaching the past two years we would have better TV ratings and be in a better spot to land in PAC12.

Doesn't matter what conference Tech is playing in for 2022. Wells won't be on the sideline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yep. I said this a few pages back, but if the PAC was bold (they're not), they would try and add the best of the leftover Big 12 ASAP. It would significantly increase their exposure to more desirable Central/Eastern time zone broadcast windows and get to (at least partially) claim DFW, KC, and OKC TV markets.

But PAC leadership is about as forward-thinking as the Big 12's, so they'll probably just sit on their hands until the B1G poaches their big-hitters.

Bold move is to merge with ACC and build a coast-to-coast national conference.

48 minutes ago, demos said:

Depends on what they ultimately intend to do. There some talk going around that they might open up the PUF (to Tech at least) to make up for their financial loss. Not sure that’s gonna fly though.

Do it, and take money from the aggy share. And make a big public noise about that Tech is now, also, a branch of the University of Texas.

Edited by Zharkov
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, demos said:

Depends on what they ultimately intend to do. There some talk going around that they might open up the PUF (to Tech at least) to make up for their financial loss. Not sure that’s gonna fly though.

Take it out of aggy cut. They started this shit 10 years ago. 

On 8/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, closetojumping said:

Damn, I underestimated the market demand for college grads in hydraulics.      

On 8/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Had Enough said:

The SEC hasn’t fully shown their hand. Are we going 4 conferences of 16 or something different?

Tech or OSU by themselves is a complete outlier. If you take both, then you are at 16 so if we ultimately go 4 of 16 what move do you make?

Really I think all other conferences are waiting to see the SECs long game.

I could honestly see it have 32 teams at some point. I think it is looking to be the organization that owns college football.

Heard a rumor that is supposedly credible that some Big 10 officials were in Stillwater this weekend. I have no doubt we are shooting our shot with them despite having almost no chance, but you gotta try. The best part if something like that were to happen is that it was David Boren's dream for OU to make the Big 10 for both academic and athletic prestige. Again, I know its like .00000001%, but a boy can dream.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Did they take the Big 10 guys to Eskimo Joe's?

Probably, there was a big watch party for Cade Cunningham's NBA draft. We probably showed them the pig farm too that we relocated after an ESPN article noted that you could smell pig shit driving into town for a big basketball matchup against KU in the early 2000s.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1