Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Oregon and USC are bolting anyway. The Pac-12 will die just like the Big 12 did. The model where 8-10 little schools living off of 2 or 3 bigger schools is just no longer sustainable.

Can't wait to congratulate our conference destroying brethren. Media is going to be harsh on all of us, but thats the price of admission. 

Boone Pickens is dead and so is the Big 12.  The pokes are completely fucked but it does take some time to move beyond the denial stage.
Kind of a shame ol' T Boone wasn't around for this, for entertainment purposes only. He sure as shit would have rattled some cages & made some balls out declarations, but it wouldn't have made a shit in the end. But his quarter billion plus donation to the Pokes put them in the position where they are now, that is the PAC might seriously consider them w/o ou. No way that happens without Boone.

@'stache posted this in Realignment thread...

"This was a perfect conference map. Fuck realignment. "

image.png.e4eca1ba4f5de640af62243220b913a8.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzu and aggy left the B12 earlier..

But it's all TEXAS and blOU's fault that the B12 is now...

"Dead Man Walking"

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm ready for the official statements to be done. Let me know where we end up. Otherwise stop talking.
C'mon, they've gotta earn those big paychecks somehow, right?

The Pokes will be fine. If the chips fall right they end up in a down PAC where the football and baseball should be contenders from the get go. And if that falls through & they end up in a lower conference they'll dominate & be attractive for the next reshuffle.

37 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm ready for the official statements to be done. Let me know where we end up. Otherwise stop talking.

Serious question: did T. Boone pay for the facility upgrades, or did he donate a 20% down payment and you guys are making the mortgage payment?

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Serious question: did T. Boone pay for the facility upgrades, or did he donate a 20% down payment and you guys are making the mortgage payment?

He paid most of the overall costs and other donors and revenues paid for the rest. We have very little debt on the football and other new facilities. I think I read somewhere that we have some super long-term obligations to pay off the GIA expansion from around the year 2000, which was before the Boone spigot was opened, but it's never really come up as a problem, and I don't think it's coming from conference TV revenues.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

C'mon, they've gotta earn those big paychecks somehow, right?

The Pokes will be fine. If the chips fall right they end up in a down PAC where the football and baseball should be contenders from the get go. And if that falls through & they end up in a lower conference they'll dominate & be attractive for the next reshuffle.

It's weird how few people understand how good the Pac-12 is at baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2

It is weird to see the eight remnants talk so much about betrayal. It was clear ten years ago, that UT and OU:

1. Bring most of the value to the media contracts

2. have options to go to other conferences. 

For eight ADs, since 2011 (when NU, CU, Mizzou and TAMU left), their programs’ continued economic health depended on keeping UT and OU happy. Did any of them ever ask if they should help the media contract’s value by not scheduling FCS teams? Any ever ask if they should do like the SEC and play league games in week 1, instead of patsies? Or schedule tougher OOC opponents, with an eye to TV attractiveness?

Any of them ever ask for UT’s thoughts on compliance (back when it mattered)? (I’m looking at you, Baylor). Any of them ask for UT’s thoughts on officiating?

Their relationship with Texas was their most important relationship, because if it soured, they were sunk, and they acted like a bunch of HS girls “we don’t like Texas because of the LHN so we want bad thing to happen to them”. 

Maybe familiarity breeds content. I know that if KU gets in the B10, they’ll work to get along with Michigan. If TT and OSU get in the PAC, they’ll work to get along with USC. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

@'stache posted this in Realignment thread...

"This was a perfect conference map. Fuck realignment. "

image.png.e4eca1ba4f5de640af62243220b913a8.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzu and aggy left the B12 earlier..

But it's all TEXAS and blOU's fault that the B12 is now...

"Dead Man Walking"

giphy.gif

He’s not wrong. The big 12 was awesome when it was…well….12 of us. I miss playing Nebraska and Colorado but whatever. The sec is gonna be a lot of fun 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It's weird how few people understand how good the Pac-12 is at baseball.

You can blame part of that on the PAC-12's shitty media contracts. OSU's baseball foundation is strong enough to be competitive in the PAC-12. Combine that with their golf (A+) and football and they kind of pass the eyeball test if the PAC-12 is wanting to expand. But I honestly don't know what else they're gonna get as bad as they've screwed the pooch the past decade.

He’s not wrong. The big 12 was awesome when it was…well….12 of us. I miss playing Nebraska and Colorado but whatever. The sec is gonna be a lot of fun 
The original Big XII (less Baylor plus Arkansas) was great and would still be great today had it held together. Would probably be in position to pick off other conferences right now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

To add one thing to my post above, without quoting it, the other B12 ADs counted on the Grant of Rights, and the huge amount of money it would cost, as sufficient to keep Texas in its place. At the same time, they accused Texas of being arrogant, just because it had…a huge amount of money. 

Edited by statsman

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The original Big XII (less Baylor plus Arkansas) was great and would still be great today had it held together. Would probably be in position to pick off other conferences right now.

Nebraska wasn’t happy in the big 12 from the beginning to the end and always wanted the big 10.

The aggy wanted to go to the SEC way back when the SWC imploded but couldn’t do to political reasons and big brother wasn’t keen on the idea anyway so it wasn’t happening.

Colorado had long wanted the pac 12 but couldn’t get in until idiot Larry Scott took over and Missouri long wanted the big 10 but couldn’t get an invite and never did cause they suck. They were SEC filler when aggy bolted and a placeholder was required.

Thanks to Nebraska the league was always doomed to fail, but they of course blame us.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

as we learned in 2010... no one wanted to be the last one standing when the music stopped, which is why Colorado was the first to bolt because they wanted to ensure it wasnt Texas, aTm, OU and Okie Lite that left for the pac 10  leaving either a 14 team league or a 16 team league where CU was gonna be fighting Tech, BU, KU as the "other 2 who got spots in the Pac 16"

KU and ISU would both be morons to not be making real plans with the B1G.  and WV was always a band-aid add and they knew it, so they are heading to the ACC.

in short that would make it 5 teams who would vote to end the conf. which is all you need to kill it.   we might not be in the SEC next year, but there is no fucking way we arent there in 23 and a non-existent buy out

I think you’re overestimating the ability of some of our former conference mates to find new homes in a Power conference. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw this...

The Pac 12 is not dissolving and the B1G is not expanding.  

Yes, the Pac is held back by the Pacific time zone, but that’s also what gives it value to the networks. 7pm (10/9 central) games may suck for some other time zones but that is still a lot of (or at least enough) eyeballs watching live sports, which the networks want in this era of streaming and binge watching. Besides, you think Oregon, USC and UCLA are going to send women’s water polo teams to Indiana to play Purdue? 

The B1G and PAC’s media deals both end in 2024. They have been partners forever (Rose Bowl, etc). A scheduling agreement seems like a much more likely outcome than the B1G poaching a few PAC teams.

I think adding Tech and OSU would be good for the PAC, and then you have both the PAC and B1G at 14 teams, making a potential scheduling agreement that much easier.

I feel bad for Tech, OSU, ISU and Kansas, but if they haven't been planning for this, that's on them. It was always obvious that the stitched together remains of the Big 12 was just just a temporary way station for Texas and Oklahoma while they took stock of which way the winds were blowing.

Sadly, I don't see much hope for the Little Eight. They look like mostly relegation material to me (Say hello to the AAC).

The One WIth a Shot

West Virginia - What the hell were they even doing here in the first place? Go home, get on your knees for the ACC, and hope they're in the mood for a hillbilly elegy.

The Dreamers   

Tech, OSU, ISU and Kansas - You can almost imagine a Power 5 picking them up if you snort long and hard enough. But seriously, who among them really has the TV marketability to make them worth diluting the payout for a real Power 5 conference.

Lubbock? Please. The SEC has a contracting hammerlock on Texas with the Horns and A&M. Stillwater? Get the fuck out of here. Oklahoma is a Sooner state and Stillwater makes Lubbock look like Austin (if Austin was in a desert somewhere). Ames fucking Iowa? It almost makes Stillwater look okay, and the Hawkeyes own what TVs the state has. Kansas has an excellent basketball team and a beyond "for shit" football team. Too bad football pays the bills for conference admission.

Whatever 

TCU - It's little, it has a little alumni base, nobody outside of Texas remembers that it exists, and nobody cares. Form rejection letter at best.

Fuck These Guys

Kansas State - Manhatten is the 8th largest city in Kansas. Good luck with that.

Baylor - Props to the basketball team. To hell with the rest of it.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, statsman said:

It is weird to see the eight remnants talk so much about betrayal. It was clear ten years ago, that UT and OU:

For eight ADs, since 2011 (when NU, CU, Mizzou and TAMU left), their programs’ continued economic health depended on keeping UT and OU happy. Did any of them ever ask if they should help the media contract’s value by not scheduling FCS teams? Any ever ask if they should do like the SEC and play league games in week 1, instead of patsies? Or schedule tougher OOC opponents, with an eye to TV attractiveness?

Any of them ever ask for UT’s thoughts on compliance (back when it mattered)? (I’m looking at you, Baylor). Any of them ask for UT’s thoughts on officiating?

Good points. I don’t recall a single school speaking up for us when the refs completely fucked us against Okie Lite in 2015. The league acted like nothing had happened at all, lied about the egregiousness of it all, didn’t discipline the crew in any way, and the other schools didn’t make a peep. Fuck ‘em. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Good points. I don’t recall a single school speaking up for us when the refs completely fucked us against Okie Lite in 2015. The league acted like nothing had happened at all, lied about the egregiousness of it all, didn’t discipline the crew in any way, and the other schools didn’t make a peep. Fuck ‘em. 

Agreed.   But our AD hardly made a peep about the travesty.   The issue should have been front  and center and whatever fallout from the BIG 12 front office be damned.   The officiating  and lack of accountability in this league is one thing we will not miss.   

7 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I feel bad for Tech, OSU, ISU and Kansas, but if they haven't been planning for this, that's on them. It was always obvious that the stitched together remains of the Big 12 was just just a temporary way station for Texas and Oklahoma while they took stock of which way the winds were blowing.

Sadly, I don't see much hope for the Little Eight. They look like mostly relegation material to me (Say hello to the AAC).

The One WIth a Shot

West Virginia - What the hell were they even doing here in the first place? Go home, get on your knees for the ACC, and hope they're in the mood for a hillbilly elegy.

The Dreamers   

Tech, OSU, ISU and Kansas - You can almost imagine a Power 5 picking them up if you snort long and hard enough. But seriously, who among them really has the TV marketability to make them worth diluting the payout for a real Power 5 conference.

Lubbock? Please. The SEC has a contracting hammerlock on Texas with the Horns and A&M. Stillwater? Get the fuck out of here. Oklahoma is a Sooner state and Stillwater makes Lubbock look like Austin (if Austin was in a desert somewhere). Ames fucking Iowa? It almost makes Stillwater look okay, and the Hawkeyes own what TVs the state has. Kansas has an excellent basketball team and a beyond "for shit" football team. Too bad football pays the bills for conference admission.

Whatever 

TCU - It's little, it has a little alumni base, nobody outside of Texas remembers that it exists, and nobody cares. Form rejection letter at best.

Fuck These Guys

Kansas State - Manhatten is the 8th largest city in Kansas. Good luck with that.

I give you Rutgers as an anything can happen in realignment example. For our benefit we should be rooting for either PAC to pickup Tech and OKST or ACC to take WV and Kansas ASAP. ACC loves its' basketball and even though it has not been mentioned much I can see them picking up WV and Kansas long before BIG 10 and PAC make any moves.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Someone took a lot of time trying to make the case for Kansas State. They are the school in the worst position. So this is pretty funny.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/LongFormArticle/Kansas-State-football-realignment-Big-12-Big-Ten-Pac-12-ACC-168308355/#168308355_11

Denial is always the first step

Edited by DanTheHorn

14 hours ago, statsman said:

Their relationship with Texas was their most important relationship, because if it soured, they were sunk, and they acted like a bunch of HS girls “we don’t like Texas because of the LHN so we want bad thing to happen to them”. 

Maybe familiarity breeds content. I know that if KU gets in the B10, they’ll work to get along with Michigan. If TT and OSU get in the PAC, they’ll work to get along with USC. 

Ouch... Not Much Value in "The Hateful Eight"   🙄 

Thanks for content of paywall article @RGBIII

TCU has produced seven top-10 teams under coach Gary Patterson. Oklahoma State has finished in the Top 25 nine times under Mike Gundy. Iowa State is coming off a New Year’s Six bowl win and a top-10 finish. Baylor just won the NCAA Tournament in men’s basketball.

But conference realignment is only marginally tied to on-field performance. Television value — nearly all of which comes from football — is the overwhelming factor when leagues consider adding new schools.

If Texas and Oklahoma do in fact defect to the SEC, the Big 12’s “Left-Behind 8” may be in for a humbling reception as they begin exploring their options. The unfortunate reality is there’s very little difference between the TV interest in Kansas State and West Virginia and the interest for UCF or Houston.

The Big 12 reported $253 million in annual television revenue on its 2019-20 tax return, most of that from a pair of 13-year contracts it signed with ESPN and Fox in 2012. Two sports TV consultants estimated to The Athletic that about 50 percent of those deals’ value was derived solely because of Texas and Oklahoma.

A look at recent Big 12 football TV ratings provides an eye-opening explanation.

The Athletic pulled data from Sports Media Watch for every Big 12 regular-season home game from the 2018 and ’19 seasons that aired on ABC, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or FS1. (Viewership data for Big 12 games on Longhorn Network, ESPN+ and regional networks aren’t publicly available.)

As co-rights holders, ESPN and Fox hold a draft for each week of the season to determine which games land on which network. They almost always place their top games on over-the-air networks Fox and ABC.

Perhaps the most telling sign of how disproportionately important OU and UT were to those companies is that 33 of the 38 Big 12 games chosen for ABC or Fox — 87 percent — involved one or both of those schools. In 2019, all 11 Oklahoma games covered by the Big 12’s Tier 1 contract were shown over-the-air. Ten of 11 were the year before.

It’s no coincidence, then, that 27 of the conference’s 30 most-viewed regular-season games over those two seasons involved the Sooners and/or the Longhorns, led by the 2019 LSU-Texas game on ABC (8.6 million) and the 2019 Red River Showdown (7.3 million). No. 3 on the list did involve one of the Left-Behind 8, but it also included another national power — the 2018 Ohio State-TCU game in Arlington, Texas, on ABC (7.2 million). You have to scroll through 11 games before finding a game between two of the Left-Behind 8 — West Virginia at Oklahoma State in 2018 on ABC (3.9 million).

Most-watched Big 12 games, 2018-2019
2019 LSU at Texas
8.6 million
ABC
2019 Oklahoma vs. Texas
7.3 million
Fox
2018 Ohio State vs. TCU
7.2 million
ABC
2019 Oklahoma at Baylor
6.8 million
ABC
2019 Oklahoma at Oklahoma State
5.8 million
Fox
2018 Oklahoma at West Virginia
5.6 million
ESPN
2018 Oklahoma vs. Texas
5.6 million
Fox
2019 Houston at Oklahoma
5.4 million
ABC
2018 West Virginia at Texas
4.4 million
Fox
2019 Oklahoma at Kansas State
4.2 million
ABC
2018 Oklahoma State at Oklahoma
3.9 million
ABC
2018 West Virginia at Oklahoma State
3.9 million
ABC
The discrepancy becomes particularly glaring when average audiences are compared.

The 22 Oklahoma games included in the two-year sample averaged 3.76 million viewers. The 18 Texas games averaged 3.2 million. The other 59 Big 12 games averaged a modest 886,000 viewers, less than 25 percent of Oklahoma’s average.

Average TV audience, 2018-2019
Oklahoma
3.76 million
Texas
3.2 million
Others
*(Regular season Big 12 home games on Fox, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or FS1)

Tellingly, the two largest audiences for an ESPN game involving the other eight Big 12 teams were for nonconference games featuring SEC opponents, both in 2018: Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech in (1.9 million) and Mississippi State at Kansas State (1.8 million). The largest ESPN audience for a game between two Big 12 teams not named Oklahoma or Texas was 1.6 million for Iowa State at West Virginia in 2019.

In fairness, that 886,000 number is due at least in part to 33 of those 59 games airing on FS1, a struggling network that has largely failed to gain traction despite widespread availability. But it’s not as if the Big 12 is the only conference that FS1 shows. The Big 12’s FS1 games averaged about 40 percent fewer viewers than the 22 Big Ten games that network showed during the same time.

The Athletic also compared the Big 12’s data with that of the American Athletic Conference. For apples-to-apples purposes, only games on the ESPN networks were included, as the AAC does not have a contract with Fox.

The 22 non-OU/Texas Big 12 home games on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 over those two seasons averaged 1.37 million viewers. The 49 AAC home games on those same networks averaged 1.01 million viewers. But take away that one mammoth Ohio State-TCU outlier from the Big 12, and its number drops to 1.10 million.

That’s just 90,000 more viewers, on average, than the AAC draws.

So what does all this mean for the Left-Behind 8?

Per its Form 990, the Big 12 distributed an average of $38.5 million to its members in fiscal year 2020. With TV contracts accounting for 62 percent of the conference’s $409 million in total revenue, it can reasonably be estimated that TV accounted for about $24 million of those schools’ distribution checks.

If the aforementioned TV consultants are correct in their estimate that Oklahoma and Texas generated 50 percent of that value, then the Left-Behind 8 would expect to see that number drop to $12 million per school. Even if the other revenue streams remained the same — unlikely, as the league would also produce fewer bowl and NCAA Tournament teams — their overall share would drop to $26.5 million

That’s about half what the Big Ten currently distributes to its members and about 40 percent of what the SEC is projected to reach if Oklahoma and Texas come aboard.

And that $12 million TV figure might prove too optimistic if/when the Big 12 negotiates its next contract. On one hand, sports rights in general have skyrocketed in the nine years since the conference last went to the market. On the other, such a depleted conference does not figure to garner a bidding war between networks, which could dampen the price.

A more useful recent analog, given the viewership numbers cited earlier, might be the AAC’s new ESPN deal that began in 2020. That contract nets its schools about $7 million a year on average.

Unfortunately, that $7 million-to-$12 million range does not bode well for the Left-Behind 8’s chances of landing an invitation to one of the other Power 5 conferences. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are unlikely to invite a school that would drag down its current members’ slice of the conference pie. All three currently make far more than that from media rights.

The more realistic play is for the AAC and Left-Behind 8 to join forces in some capacity. The only question is which league will raid the other. Sources told The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach that the “Power 6” conference plans to become an aggressor.

Meanwhile, a Big 12 AD lamented to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman last week that “bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs.”

Technically, that AD’s not wrong. There’s no evidence to suggest those schools bring in more eyeballs than his. But he may need to come to terms with the reality that his school may soon be held in similar regard.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

That K-State site is sad.  Let's compare K-State to Houston...

In football:

• K-State:  45.1% overall wins, 9-13 bowl record, 12 All-Americans, 6 Conference Titles, 13 top-25 finishes, 5 top-10 finishes 
  • Houston: 54.1% overall wins, 11-16 bowl record, 8 All-Americans, 11 Conference Titles, 18 top-25 finishes, 6 top-10 finishes 

In basketball: 

• K-State:   59.1% overall wins, 4 Final 4s, 31 NCAA Tourneys, 19 Conference Titles, 21 Top-25 finishes, 8 NBA 1st rounders
  • Houston: 60.6% overall wins, 6 Final 4s, 22 NCAA Tourneys, 9 Conference Titles, 12 Top-25 finishes, 11 NBA 1st rounders

In academics:

• K-State:  #170 US-News
  • Houston:  #176 US-News

The two schools have basically equivalent accomplishments, but Houston has done it in about half the time.  Houston, Fresno State, Colorado State, etc., should be considered K-State's peer group. That isn't going to be enough to get a seat in one of the premier conferences. 

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

That K-State site is sad.  Let's compare K-State to Houston...

In football:

• K-State:  45.1% overall wins, 9-13 bowl record, 12 All-Americans, 6 Conference Titles, 13 top-25 finishes, 5 top-10 finishes 
  • Houston: 54.1% overall wins, 11-16 bowl record, 8 All-Americans, 11 Conference Titles, 18 top-25 finishes, 6 top-10 finishes 

In basketball: 

• K-State:   59.1% overall wins, 4 Final 4s, 31 NCAA Tourneys, 19 Conference Titles, 21 Top-25 finishes, 8 NBA 1st rounders
  • Houston: 60.6% overall wins, 6 Final 4s, 22 NCAA Tourneys, 9 Conference Titles, 12 Top-25 finishes, 11 NBA 1st rounders

In academics:

• K-State:  #170 US-News
  • Houston:  #176 US-News

The two schools have basically equivalent accomplishments, but Houston has done it in about half the time.  Houston, Fresno State, Colorado State, etc., should be considered K-State's peer group. That isn't going to be enough to get a seat in one of the premier conferences. 

It doesn't matter that K-State has played much tougher competition than UH for the last 25 years or so?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

It doesn't matter that K-State has played much tougher competition than UH for the last 25 years or so?

Lol. It doesn't matter that K-State got $40M a year from being in the Big-12 vs. $7M for Houston?  

All that money goes to coaches, facility upgrades, marketing, recruiting.... but apparently it doesn't generate wins.  Give Houston $40M a year and Big-12 association and you would see a different product on the field.

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Lol. It doesn't matter that K-State got $40M a year from being in the Big-12 vs. $7M for Houston?  

All that money goes to coaches, facility upgrades, marketing, recruiting.... but apparently it doesn't generate wins.  Give Houston $40M a year and Big-12 association and you would see a different product on the field.

Sure.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

The One WIth a Shot

The Dreamers   

Whatever 

Fuck These Guys

Shloss' and Mulkey's moves this year both look fucking outstanding on their part right now.

Also, Chris Beard's move makes WAYYYYYY more sense now.  

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The only gamble or risk to Texas is if the voters decide to gut their funding apparatus. Doubt it will happen, but crazy shit seems to be going around. 

Hope it works out for them there. We need another big time school in the State of Texas and maybe the mental separation from A&M will keep the Aggies from blocking their every improvement attempt. Like when A&M tried to stop Tech from opening a large animal veterinary school which was obviously badly needed in west Texas. Just so A&M could have the only top tier vet school. Fuck them.

I'll be quietly rooting for Tech.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2