Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So I guess TCU was an independent when the Big 12 came calling and didn't run off and leave anyone else

No, not my point. They bailed on each conference when they got the chance for something better. Not a problem with that at all, and they shouldn’t resent UT/OUSux for doing the same thing. They’ll also bail on the reconstructed B12 if they get a better offer, no doubt. 
My point is that Baylor should rot in hell, and there’s no room in my heart for hate for TCU. 

I listened to Sam Khan on local radio today. He believes the Irate 8 + 4 will receive between $15-23 million per school. ESPN+ must have delivered. 

Of course Tech/Baylor/TCU politicos freaked the f*** out for no reason. I think they’ll survive. 

President Hartzell shouldn’t hold his breath for an apology. 

18 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, but I can’t imagine that we’ll still be in the Big 12 next season.

I sure hope not.  I’m tired of all the juvenile butthurt over our move out.  What a bunch of loser schools.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I’m sure it’s painful to matter as little as they do.

Hilarious that they hate us, yet are so completely reliant on us.

Enjoy your irrelevance boys!  We drink your milkshake.  We drink it up!!!

14CD4A86-60CB-4FE5-B7DB-206B2603D16E.gif

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 8:13 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

This.  This is what the Big 12 has welcomed in with open arms.

FAF2K7VWYAA5IDe?format=jpg&name=large

FAF2K0XX0AAk_-z?format=jpg&name=large

On 9/25/2021 at 9:54 AM, Best served cold said:

What the fuck is that and why am I just now hearing about it? Smh

Been around a long time. Some of BYU's best marketing.

this really does not make sense

people need to understand the buyout is still in force even if the GOR ends......the buyout is a part of the 99 year contract for conference membership and specifically states the buyout is in place without regard to any GOR or any other contract

and since the Big 12 will have 1 year of conference revenues in their pocket that have not been distributed no matter when Texas and OU leave that means the Big 12 will collect at least half of the buyout no matter what and the longer Texas and OU wait the more that dollar about is that the Big 12 will hold

I am not sure there is anything that prevents the Big 12 from withholding 2 years of revenues at this point other than the fact that Texas and OU have not actually left, but they have informed the Big 12 of the intent to leave and if the Big 12 feels they will try and leave with only one year of revenues being held by the Big 12 I am not sure what would stop the Big 12 from saying they will go ahead and hold two years of revenues

the only added cost would be the cost to try and negotiate out of the GOR early

On 9/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Patterson called UT a wildly racist school to multiple fucking recruits this cycle and last after the Eyes of Texas bullshit. Pretty sure he has called UT a racist school well before that. Patterson can get all the way fucked, and you can get hopefully be somewhat educated.

He takes it back... All the way.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:24 PM, 6th Street said:

But I don’t get the TCU hate.

I can give you my own personal TCU hate. They were among the teams that caused the demise of the SWC. They had zero interest in improving ANY of their sports. They would take their ass whipping and take their check and would have been happy to do so in perpetuity. But like any welfare state, it was unsustainable. Once the parasite had killed the host, then and only then did they have their "uh-oh" moment and decide they had to get serious or give up on being Div 1. Flash forward a few years and they are insulted at not being taken seriously, "other teams are ducking playing us". Oh well by all means, lets completely re do all of our schedules because you decided you were finally  serious. As for the University itself, it's a Whataburger at Del Frisco's prices. The only upside is that they haven't been an embarrassment to the state of Texas on the level of Baylor, but they can still go screw themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

this really does not make sense

people need to understand the buyout is still in force even if the GOR ends......the buyout is a part of the 99 year contract for conference membership and specifically states the buyout is in place without regard to any GOR or any other contract

and since the Big 12 will have 1 year of conference revenues in their pocket that have not been distributed no matter when Texas and OU leave that means the Big 12 will collect at least half of the buyout no matter what and the longer Texas and OU wait the more that dollar about is that the Big 12 will hold

I am not sure there is anything that prevents the Big 12 from withholding 2 years of revenues at this point other than the fact that Texas and OU have not actually left, but they have informed the Big 12 of the intent to leave and if the Big 12 feels they will try and leave with only one year of revenues being held by the Big 12 I am not sure what would stop the Big 12 from saying they will go ahead and hold two years of revenues

the only added cost would be the cost to try and negotiate out of the GOR early

The B12 distributes in the summer, for the previous academic year.  So the max they can withhold from Texas, is the 2021/2022 distribution, which should be paid in the summer of 2022.  The only way the B12 can withhold more than that, is if Texas sticks around longer.  So it's really not in Texas' best interest to stick around any longer.

Since the B12 can withhold one year of payments, and since Texas can leave at will and put the B12 in the position of having to attempt to sue for more money, then 1 years' worth of distribution becomes the easiest and most likely settlement.  

Texas and OU have no incentive at all to stay beyond Summer 2022, and thus allow the B12 to withhold even more money, which would remove tremendous amounts of bargaining power.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The B12 distributes in the summer, for the previous academic year.  So the max they can withhold from Texas, is the 2021/2022 distribution, which should be paid in the summer of 2022.  The only way the B12 can withhold more than that, is if Texas sticks around longer.  So it's really not in Texas' best interest to stick around any longer.

Since the B12 can withhold one year of payments, and since Texas can leave at will and put the B12 in the position of having to attempt to sue for more money, then 1 years' worth of distribution becomes the easiest and most likely settlement.  

Texas and OU have no incentive at all to stay beyond Summer 2022, and thus allow the B12 to withhold even more money, which would remove tremendous amounts of bargaining power.

Just a guess on my part... Texas and blOU stay in B12 one more football season (2022), and then B12 reaches some settlement where Texas and blOU can move on to SEC...  

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

there is still the issue of the GOR

1. the Big 12 owns that content and that has never been challenged in court....in the past it was clear that teams had a right to leave a conference AND to take their media content with them all they had to do was pay the exit fee

2. the GOR is also structured that the team leaving the conference has to prove damages while a conference contract it is incumbent on the conference to prove damages

it is much harder to prove damages for a contract that YOU BROKE while also saying the other party to that contract was not damaged as much or more

3. Fox has contracted for about half of that content they will be a party to any lawsuits especially if ESPN tries to show any of that content....ESPN does not want that heat and probably court loss

4. Texas and OU did things so the Big 12 could not easily prove collusion or enticement (triple damages is proven in court)......then the idiot that runs the AAC fucked that up and let it slip that ESPN was trying to tear the Big 12 fully apart......ESPN gave an idiots reply to that claim, but they knew their ass was on the line and still is

5. the most important aspect to the claim that "OU cannot afford it" is the fact that OU still must "afford" exit fees to the tune of an amount equal to the prior two years of Big 12 distributions no matter when they leave the Big 12.....and no matter of the GOR is in place or not......without the GOR in place you limit any lawsuit or potential damages over the GOR and the control of the content, but the contract for conference membership that is 99 years is still in place and still has those damages.....OU may well get lucky and only get away with the Big 12 holding the final year of distributions, but with the ACC and Maryland (the last time a similar contract was litigated) Maryland was on the hook for a recently passed $50 million up from $25 million and ended up paying $32.5 million which was well over 1 year of distributions from the ACC at that time, but was also not the full $50 million.....but that $50 million had been recently passed in a rush up from $25 million and Maryland was always against it so that helped them

6. then there is the fact that Texas and OU were required by that same conference contract to give 12 hours notice to the Big 12 is they had any discussions with ANYONE about leaving the Big 12 and they were suppose to give a written decline of interest in doing so within that same 12 hours.....failure to do so excluded them from Big 12 business participation

it is clear that Texas and OU did not do so and it is clear that Texas and OU voted on very important Big 12 business (including media contract dealings) during the time they were talking to the SEC SEC SEC.....that is extremely damaging and Maryland was not subjected to those same requirements

7. it has been clear all along that Texas was ready to write a fat ass check to leave ASAP some said there was what $120 million or so waiting to be paid to GTFO ASAP.....that is well over 2 years of Big 12 distributions ......but Texas was saying fuck this what does t take to GTFO

it seems at this time OU does not have that in the petty cash drawer or even in the bob and lincolns dicks fund......but OU will still be paying a lot of cash to leave the Big 12 and both Texas and OU have a lot of things working against them to try and win a court case for reduced damages much more so than any prior similar situation

yes all of the above can be litigated, but Texas and OU are not in a good spot to litigate that and I do not think that ESPN wants that to happen either especially after the idiots at the AAC fucked things up

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just a guess on my part... Texas and blOU stay in B12 one more football season (2022), and then B12 reaches some settlement where Texas and blOU can move on to SEC...  

My best guess on the whole deal.  As I understand it, assuming OU and Texas left early, paying whatever....that would take the Big 12 to 8 teams, which if I understand correctly would put the conference in jeopardy of losing television revenue due to not having 10 teams.  So....

-OU and Texas stay one more season in the Big 12 (2022)

-The four newcomers come in 2023, so the conference would go back to 12 teams.

-ESPN will extend or make some other kind of gesture to the Big 12 regarding the TV contract which expires after 2024, giving the conference some financial and media stability in exchange for Oklahoma and Texas leaving after 2022.  I'm sure there will be a payout of some kind, but not what has been rumored or reported.  We know that no one was willing to open negotiations with the Big 12 last spring; the reality in the conference office is they are staring at July 1, 2025 without a TV deal in place for their 4 shiny new teams + the holdovers.  ESPN could make them whole if all they did was let those two schools go.  If the Big 12 digs in their heels, well, ESPN could tell them to reach out to Fox and see if they are interested.  

As secretive as the entire process was prior to this past summer, it wouldn't surprise me if there were equally secretive talks that have been ongoing for some time now between the 2 schools and ESPN, and possibly the Big 12.

Anyone know how Texas' peculiar sovereign immunity provisions (i.e. screwing Leach) would apply? I doubt the state would waive immunity in fed court. I can see how the GOR attempts to be an end round, but it's still no fun to litigate against a party with fun litigation tricks and no though of litigation costs.

28 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Anyone know how Texas' peculiar sovereign immunity provisions (i.e. screwing Leach) would apply? I doubt the state would waive immunity in fed court. I can see how the GOR attempts to be an end round, but it's still no fun to litigate against a party with fun litigation tricks and no though of litigation costs.

Immunity is waived.  See Tex. Loc. Gov’t Code 271.152.