Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Ultimately the PAC 12 has a choice: gain some recruiting in Texas or money. Market share comes about going to Big 10. Or they can have more of a presence in Texas in adding Big 12/Texas schools. But NIL dollars will be harder to come by outside the Big 10.

I’d hazard a guess donations/NIL come from similar pools longer term. The new PAC won’t be able to keep up due to conference dollars unless it’s Big 10.

The SECs plan to wreck stuff is genius if you’re ok with money being the priority for everything. They want to be the NCAA.

The hypocrisy is interesting. If you are one of us (SEC member), you can share equally. But if you are not one of us, we do not care if your program gets crushed. The FCS awaits you. Like them or not, this is what A&M said to Baylor and Tech 10 years ago and what we are saying now. A huge difference is that we haven’t played the holier than though card like the Aggies in touting the SEC.

Not only is the Big 12 done, the PAC is done. Oregon and USC might be able to hang, but the rest likely get crushed. Their hopes rest in the Big10 and that the western half of the country spends its NIL dollars everywhere but California.

I once thought 4 16 team super conferences was going to be it, but I’m not sure that’s it. 3 of 20 or 2 of 24. Who knows. The big conferences won’t allow a G5 to come in with a soft schedule, take some money from the pot and steal even a 1st round playoff game.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Everyone in West Texas and the Panhandle that didn’t go to Tech is absolutely a Tech bandwagoner. I don’t know if it’s 10:1, but Tech football is a much bigger deal in Dallas than SMU. 

I've lived in the Metroplex since '91, I hardly ever meet a Tech fan or even see any Tech swag, don't meet too many SMU fans either. My impression is that neither one has much of a following up here.

As far as meeting Tech fans, to be fair, I don't go through the drive-thru as much as I used to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Tech is a big school that cares a ton about sports. They'd add a lot of viewers throughout the state. They were rumored to be hiring Art Briles last offseason so you know they're invested in the program. Plus, can you imagine a rivalry between ASU and Tech? College football needs this.

I don't think UH is such a crazy idea either. Better for ACC geographically but it's a huge school in a huge market, easy to travel to/from, good bball, and Tillman is willing/eager to dump money into that program, having just poached Holgorson from WVU. When you really get down to it, wouldn't UH bring more money than TCU or Baylor?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Tech is a big school that cares a ton about sports. They'd add a lot of viewers throughout the state. They were rumored to be hiring Art Briles last offseason so you know they're invested in the program.

Wtf this Art Briles talk does not help Tech look good. Did you go to school there? 

Isn’t it curious that when this was first leaked all sorts of rumors came out (during the middle of the workweek I might add) and now at the time when most big boosters or loud mouth media or conference execs would have a chance to spout off to blow off some stream that there are none pop up?

Its almost like those first set of reactionary rumors where all full of shit made up to placate subscribers and now the real realization is setting in that most if not all of the tagalong 8 have no real value to the other power conferences.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Isn’t it curious that when this was first leaked all sorts of rumors came out (during the middle of the workweek I might add) and now at the time when most big boosters or loud mouth media or conference execs would have a chance to spout off to blow off some stream that there are none pop up?

Its almost like those first set of reactionary rumors where all full of shit made up to placate subscribers and now the real realization is setting in that most if not all of the tagalong 8 have no real value to the other power conferences.

There is no basis in that at all, just your speculation.  Nobody is going anywhere until the SEC deal is official.  Yes it is obvious to everyone that Texas and ou were the big dogs in the conference,  that does not mean that some of the other schools don't have a plan or are working on one that takes them to a major conference.  

Like I said, nobody knows anything right now, and those who may know something are not going to talk.

Just now, 927 E. 41st said:

Well, I don't see as well as I used to and wealth is a relative thing, but I'd probably be willing to compare net worth with you. 

You're not new here, but you don't post much so maybe a reminder is in order.  Errbody here is a 1%er and bangs 10's.  And yes you do sound kinda poor.

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

PAC has a thing against religious schools or they would have added BYU…or maybe not. 

Biggest problem with BYU is they won't play on Sundays (unless that's changed). Not a big deal for football, obviously, but for everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Biggest problem with BYU is they won't play on Sundays (unless that's changed). Not a big deal for football, obviously, but for everything else.

Also, they’re fucking weird.  Comparing TCU to BYU as religious schools is laughable.  If TCU had maintained their pace in football I would bet the PAC could get over the C in their name.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Everyone in West Texas and the Panhandle that didn’t go to Tech is absolutely a Tech bandwagoner. I don’t know if it’s 10:1, but Tech football is a much bigger deal in Dallas than SMU. 

You need to meet more people.  Lots of OU in the Panhandle.  Lots of UT in the non-Tech crowd in West Texas.

22 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Also, they’re fucking weird.  Comparing TCU to BYU as religious schools is laughable.  If TCU had maintained their pace in football I would bet the PAC could get over the C in their name.

Yep. 6 wins a year would fit right in in the Pac.

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Tech is a big school that cares a ton about sports. They'd add a lot of viewers throughout the state. They were rumored to be hiring Art Briles last offseason so you know they're invested in the program. Plus, can you imagine a rivalry between ASU and Tech? College football needs this.

I don't think UH is such a crazy idea either. Better for ACC geographically but it's a huge school in a huge market, easy to travel to/from, good bball, and Tillman is willing/eager to dump money into that program, having just poached Holgorson from WVU. When you really get down to it, wouldn't UH bring more money than TCU or Baylor?

Why would there be a rivalry between Tech and Arizona State that college football needs?

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Are we sure PAC has a thing against all religious schools or just BYU?  Because, let’s just be honest here, BYU is a much bigger pain in the ass (no games on Sunday, etc.) and a much bigger PR headache (policies against pre-marital sex, homosexuality, libations and, I assume, dancing and showing ankles in public) to West Coast liberals than TCU would be.  

I think there was a thing about taking Baylor the last time they were talking to UT.  Why we were talking about Baylor, I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Are we sure PAC has a thing against all religious schools or just BYU?  Because, let’s just be honest here, BYU is a much bigger pain in the ass (no games on Sunday, etc.) and a much bigger PR headache (policies against pre-marital sex, homosexuality, libations and, I assume, dancing and showing ankles in public) to West Coast liberals than TCU would be.  

There's not a world where the California Legislature and BYU can exit. 

Would be a fan of a re-imagined SWC.  Heavy on nostalgia and history,  light on NIL.  I could see Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, Okie State, K State, and Rice.  Concentrate on baseball and basketball.  Emphasize the whole "student-athlete" concept that has slipped away these days.  None of these schools will ever, ever sniff a national championship in football, but they sure can in baseball and basketball.  Play to a regional audience, rather than a national audience-leave football to the big boys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Mart is so much better. 

7 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

There is nothing that could befall Baylor that would make me feel sorry for them. I spend a good bit of time in McLennan County and I avoid Waco when possible.

Mart is so much better.

• Hook 'Em 1