San Diego recommendations

Sundodger

On 4/11/2019 at 1:40 PM, Gil Bang said:

Kids that young, Legoland is good. Maybe even consider staying in Carlsbad? Cute downtown with bars and restaurants, “Hops Highway” adjacent for breweries, and great beach.

Debating on going to Legoland. Will definitely go to the zoo and Seaworld so that's 2 days right there. Have another full day free to do stuff. Spend some time at the beach. We are debating on where to stay. Going with another family and trying to decide to stay on Mission Bay or Point Loma area. 

8 minutes ago, utee05 said:

Debating on going to Legoland. Will definitely go to the zoo and Seaworld so that's 2 days right there. Have another full day free to do stuff. Spend some time at the beach. We are debating on where to stay. Going with another family and trying to decide to stay on Mission Bay or Point Loma area. 

get a house up north in del mar, solana, encinitas area.  then hit up moonlight beach, or any beaches from del mar north to moonlight.  that whole area is a wonderful family friendly area.  

28 minutes ago, utee05 said:

Debating on going to Legoland.

We went to Legoland in Summer of 2017 for our then first-grader, and it was not as agonizing as I remember when we took our daughter back in 2010 when she was five.  First, they have a couple roller coasters, which aren't anything to write home about, but they're enjoyable if your kid is up for it.  But more importantly, they now sell beer there. 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

We went to Legoland in Summer of 2017 for our then first-grader, and it was not as agonizing as I remember when we took our daughter back in 2010 when she was five.  First, they have a couple roller coasters, which aren't anything to write home about, but they're enjoyable if your kid is up for it.  But more importantly, they now sell beer there. 

Ah beer is key. My 5yo likes rides as long as she is tall enough to get on. We will have a car to get around and be able to hit up some brewpubs and breweries while we are in the area. Already got a few on my list to go to.

Just now, utee05 said:

Ah beer is key. My 5yo likes rides as long as she is tall enough to get on. We will have a car to get around and be able to hit up some brewpubs and breweries while we are in the area. Already got a few on my list to go to.

If she's 5, she'll likely be too short for the roller coasters, but can do plenty of other stuff.  The kids love the driving school.  I'd head that way first when the park opens, as the lines will get long quickly.

Legoland is a great park for little kids 3-8 years old.  Their "fast pass" program is great and includes all you can eat food, or at least it did back circa 2011-2012 the last time we went there.  The pass is pretty expensive, but you simply walk up the exit ramp and get on the ride as many times as you wish.  You can do the whole park multiple times in half a day.    You could stay at the Gran Del Mar, which isn't too far from Legoland, and is simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in by a decent measure.  And I don't skimp on hotels.  

oh, and this damn pizza place is knock out awesome.  Luigi's pizzeria.  It is in a shitty neighborhood, but you can get a slice of absolutely incredible pizza and a craft beer for about $7.00.  well that was 2011-2012 pricing.  who knows how much now, but it damn worth it.  Great, great, great pizza

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/ca/san-diego/pizzeria-luigi-restaurant

Edited by pepper brooks

• 5 weeks later...

We had free Hyatt nights expiring so doing a quick 2 night trip to San Diego in August.  Anybody ever do a leopard shark tour in La Jolla?  My wife is set on swimming with the sharks.  August/September is supposed to be the best time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, PantsTent said:

We had free Hyatt nights expiring so doing a quick 2 night trip to San Diego in August.  Anybody ever do a leopard shark tour in La Jolla?  My wife is set on swimming with the sharks.  August/September is supposed to be the best time.

Yes.  Leopard sharks are all around in summer, especially at La Jolla shores.  I never been on the tour but see them all the time in the surf from Del Mar to Grandview in Leucadia.

Edited by MalibuSheriff

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Thanks, all! Yeah I called some of the snorkel rental shops near La Jolla Shores and they said just go into the ocean.  Will look into the restaurants.  Should be a fun little trip plus get to escape the blast furnace.

Yeah, it's very cool weather here.  Lots of overcast this time of year. 

• 1 month later...

Heading to Coronado in a couple of weeks for a quick weekend trip.  Will be less than 48 hours, so might just hang on the island the whole time.  I've been once before.  Looking to maybe have a nice dinner on Saturday night.  Any recs?  Don't want to necessarily break the bank, but would be willing to look around $50/plate-ish.

ETA: staying at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, so a bit away from the main island.  

Edited by Biff Tannen

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Heading to Coronado in a couple of weeks for a quick weekend trip.  Will be less than 48 hours, so might just hang on the island the whole time.  I've been once before.  Looking to maybe have a nice dinner on Saturday night.  Any recs?  Don't want to necessarily break the bank, but would be willing to look around $50/plate-ish.

ETA: staying at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, so a bit away from the main island.  

No really responsive to the specific question, but Coronado Brewing was enjoyable when I was in SD last Dec.  Maybe a lunch?

Are Padres tickets hard to come by? Looking at the 23rd against Boston but I usually walk up and buy from a scalper close to game time when out of town. Also how is TJ? That is one city in Mexico I haven't been to and want to knock it out. Worth it?

Edited by Zepol87

• 2 weeks later...

We had a fun little trip. Explored the harbor area and Coronado on day we arrived.  Coastera for dinner was a fantastic setting with a table right on the edge of patio/water and food was good but I think you're paying more for the setting.  2nd day our leopard shark snorkel did not go very well.  The visibility in the water was really poor and the guide couldn't locate them.  We did see 2 sharks but it was really mirky.  Refunded our money so it was a free crisp swim in the ocean at least.  I rode the coaster at Belmont Park and we people watched and had drinks on Mission Beach. Dinner at Monello was pretty solid.

The zoo is massive and pretty impressive. They do such a great job building nice big habitats for the animals that a lot of them are hard to see.  I think afternoon is worst time since everything is sleeping.

• Like 1

Just got the hotel. Staying by Sea world. Dispensary already hit. Think I'm going to Ballast Pointe little Italy to wait for a coworker to get in. Anything better in that area I should hit? 

I had some good Modern Times beer. Never had Bolt brewing but it is in little Italy

13 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

This could be a trivial thing that makes me surly but how long has California did the whole our menu prices are actually 4% higher than what's printed? They had to print new menus to say that so why not just adjust the prices?

I have seen variations of this, “2% living wage surcharge”.

It’s the restaurant industry trying to play the same game the rest of the hospitality industry doest. Resort fees.. etc.

I had some good Modern Times beer. Never had Bolt brewing but it is in little Italy

At modern times right now with my director. Dope music but I am high also. This area is cool as fuck. Not sure we are moving from here but probably bar hopping by the flavorsome.

Woke up hurting a little but had a good night in Northpark.

Started at Live Wire for HH then moved to Modern Times. After  a few beers went down the street to The Taco stand and ate a burrito. This place is really good I will highly recommend and I will probably go back before I leave. From there went to Seven Grand and had a drink. Fine ass broads in here but a lot of douche also. Then ended up at Pink bar?? I think. Had live music and 2 for 5 pacifico. By this time I was hammered but it was a good night. That area is pretty dope

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Woke up hurting a little but had a good night in Northpark.

Started at Live Wire for HH then moved to Modern Times. After  a few beers went down the street to The Taco stand and ate a burrito. This place is really good I will highly recommend and I will probably go back before I leave. From there went to Seven Grand and had a drink. Fine ass broads in here but a lot of douche also. Then ended up at Pink bar?? I think. Had live music and 2 for 5 pacifico. By this time I was hammered but it was a good night. That area is pretty dope

I used to occasionally hit the original Seven Grand in L.A.  I was unaware they had expanded to other cities until I read your post.  Lotta whiskey up in there.  And, yes, the one in DTLA used to attract prime tail as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Carl Spackler said:

I used to occasionally hit the original Seven Grand in L.A.  I was unaware they had expanded to other cities until I read your post.  Lotta whiskey up in there.  And, yes, the one in DTLA used to attract prime tail as well. 

Seven Grand or Bar Jackalope for the whiskey? Wonder if the Seven Grand in SD has a hidden bar.