San Diego recommendations

Sundodger

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread was good to me. Just spent the week there. Pretty sure the Taco Stand’s California burrito is the best burrito I’ve ever had.

Was crazy for me to see the differences between Ocean Beach and Mission Beach/Pacific Beach. OB gave off the gritty, beach bum living in a camper lifestyle whereas as you kept going north it became more upscale. I liked the bars/ townies in OB more, but Mission/Pacific beach were nicer.

Weird quirk, but I couldn’t get over how beautiful the Bird of Paradise flowers were, saw them all over Balboa Park and along the boardwalks as well

IMG_0179.jpeg

16 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This thread was good to me. Just spent the week there. Pretty sure the Taco Stand’s California burrito is the best burrito I’ve ever had.

Was crazy for me to see the differences between Ocean Beach and Mission Beach/Pacific Beach. OB gave off the gritty, beach bum living in a camper lifestyle whereas as you kept going north it became more upscale. I liked the bars/ townies in OB more, but Mission/Pacific beach were nicer.

Weird quirk, but I couldn’t get over how beautiful the Bird of Paradise flowers were, saw them all over Balboa Park and along the boardwalks as well

IMG_0179.jpeg

Obligatory:  

Glad you had a good time.  PB is a cool area and, yes, OB is a little more rough around the edges.  I trust the weather was great for you.  We had a little rain farther north, but I'm not sure if SD got any of it.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I would have told y'all to avoid Oceanside because we've had a Mountain Lion roaming downtown the past week, but the poor fucker got hit by car last night and died..

We had one in a parking garage at work one time and you would thought there was an active shooter given the reactions.  Mass hysteria, total chaos, basically the worst parts of the Bible. 

20 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I would have told y'all to avoid Oceanside because we've had a Mountain Lion roaming downtown the past week, but the poor fucker got hit by car last night and died..

I was ready to HAHA rep this, and then the second part after the comma hit me hard. 

Man I loved Oceanside, wish I could’ve taken the same time in Carlsbad. I could watch the skateboarders and the rollergirls choreography in that beach pavilion forever. FatJoes had a great burger and cost less than I expected too.

Yeah, the lion getting hit bummed me the fuck out.  The worst part of it is the fact that he was headed in the "right" direction when he got hit.  To the extent that if his Lion ass had asked me directions of where he should go, that was the way I would have sent him.  

Yeah, the lion getting hit bummed me the fuck out.  The worst part of it is the fact that he was headed in the "right" direction when he got hit.  To the extent that if his Lion ass had asked me directions of where he should go, that was the way I would have sent him.  

Least you don't have do- do Tijuana river water- beaches closed from Tijuana to Coranado. Surf looked nice at Imperial beach but fuck that; was too much close out for me at OB and we got done visiting friends too late in Encinitas for me to paddle out.
San Diego has amazing weather; beaches are weird...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to a long weekend in SD. Going to Petco for opening day (go Giants). First time at that park.

Staying in Gaslamp Weds/Thurs, in PB Fri/Sat.

I will see if I can sustain myself solely on beer and tacos for four days. I have trained all my life for this.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

unfortunately, weather looks shitty this weekend.  

Yeah, same thing last year when I was there. At least it shouldn't rain for opening day. And at least it doesn't rain inside bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally moving here at the end of the month, just haven’t secured a lease yet

Do DT prices go lower in the summer and Pacific/Mission Beach/Ocean Beach go higher? Or everything is going up all the time? Do the homeless make the same migration?  Is this that famous libtard thinking?

I will be looking for recommendations soon.  Son starting UCSD in September and there’s a direct flight from Monterey to SD, so I’ll be there frequently.  

I’m looking forward to my next four years in La Jolla.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Finally moving here at the end of the month, just haven’t secured a lease yet

Do DT prices go lower in the summer and Pacific/Mission Beach/Ocean Beach go higher? Or everything is going up all the time? Do the homeless make the same migration?  Is this that famous libtard thinking?

try rentalsd.com

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I will be looking for recommendations soon.  Son starting UCSD in September and there’s a direct flight from Monterey to SD, so I’ll be there frequently.  

I’m looking forward to my next four years in La Jolla.  

Cool, so you're uber rich. I'll keep that in mind if I never need a loan from a stranger. 

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cool, so you're uber rich. I'll keep that in mind if I never need a loan from a stranger. 

Definitely not.  I mean, if my stonk bets pan out, I’ll be living large!

I meant I can fly Alaska from MRY direct and have a reason to visit.  I’m still working for a living.  Trying to completely retire someday soon but talking to the friends who’ve done it every one of them has gone back to part time consulting.  

The place I’ve stayed a couple of times right by the campus was Estancia and it was pretty cool.  If I could afford La Jolla we probably would have moved there instead of the central coast.

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Definitely not.  I mean, if my stonk bets pan out, I’ll be living large!

I meant I can fly Alaska from MRY direct and have a reason to visit.  I’m still working for a living.  Trying to completely retire someday soon but talking to the friends who’ve done it every one of them has gone back to part time consulting.  

The place I’ve stayed a couple of times right by the campus was Estancia and it was pretty cool.  If I could afford La Jolla we probably would have moved there instead of the central coast.

La Jolla is one of my and my wife's favorite places. But man. Best have a net worth of 20 million to sniff anything around there. Condo's cost several million, plus the HOA fees. Woof. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

La Jolla is one of my and my wife's favorite places. But man. Best have a net worth of 20 million to sniff anything around there. Condo's cost several million, plus the HOA fees. Woof. 

That's some straight-up bullshit.   The most expensive condo in La Jolla right now is 6.2.   The next most expensive is 2.78.   There are several that can be had in the 1,000,000 to 1.5 range. 

I'm not saying that it's not a shitload of money, but "several million" is just inaccurate.   But i'm just a San Diego Realtor.  What the fuck do I know?

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That's some straight-up bullshit.   The most expensive condo in La Jolla right now is 6.2.   The next most expensive is 2.78.   There are several that can be had in the 1,000,000 to 1.5 range. 

I'm not saying that it's not a shitload of money, but "several million" is just inaccurate.   But i'm just a San Diego Realtor.  What the fuck do I know?

Pardon me, San Diego, realtor, I guess I just humbly got those numbers by scanning zillow several times over the last few years, and seeing that most are in the 2's and 3's, which also happen to fall into the range of "several million," which you yourself have confirmed. But good to know there's a couple in the 1 to 1.5 range, that totally makes my statement entirely moot. 

Heading out to San Diego this summer for some baseball games.  Catching a Dodgers and Angels game, but we are staying in San Diego (also catching a Padres game).  I'll go back and read this whole thread when I have time, but looking for any recommendations. We are planning on the Zoo and maybe a half day or so at the beach.  What's the best beach to go to that has places to eat on the beach and other stuff to do?  Just an early look was thinking Mission Beach.  Was planning on hitting up Bub's before the Padres game for drinks and bar food.  

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Heading out to San Diego this summer for some baseball games.  Catching a Dodgers and Angels game, but we are staying in San Diego (also catching a Padres game).  I'll go back and read this whole thread when I have time, but looking for any recommendations. We are planning on the Zoo and maybe a half day or so at the beach.  What's the best beach to go to that has places to eat on the beach and other stuff to do?  Just an early look was thinking Mission Beach.  Was planning on hitting up Bub's before the Padres game for drinks and bar food.  

Having spent a few days there two years ago, I felt there were more places to eat/drink by the water in Pacific Beach than Mission Beach, but Mission Beach is very cool too. Recommend renting beach cruisers and ride the paved path between MB and PB. La Jolla is also really nice, but MB/PB have much more of the SoCal beach vibe in my opinion. We stayed downtown and really liked the Little Italy area best for dinner and drinks. Try False Idol, a really awesome tiki bar speakeasy off Beech and Kettner. Have fun on your trip!

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Think I found my crash pad for the next 6 months. Seems absurdly priced, will probably have money stolen from me.
https://www.apartments.com/1624-reed-ave-san-diego-ca/bc64lpb/

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The outdoor Washer and Dryer is...interesting.  

Price does seem possibly scammy or some other issue is going on with the property. 

It’s 450 sf?  Do it.  I’ll ride over and we can get burgers at Rocky’s.

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure I caught the guy scamming. Sent two different emails with two different account numbers, routing, and Banks, but same individual listed as an accountant and deposit due today. Sucks cause it's the perfect shack with the outdoor patio and location.

Whatever, my Altima has a very comfortable second row.

Edited by StassneyHorn