New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

6 hours ago, Bruno71 said:

Disclosure…I’m an old ag ‘71.

This whole thread has been an interesting read and, I think, pretty much lays out the different ways this latest SEC group of schools can play each other going forward. 

But, being newbies to the conference, you will discover the old guard that runs the SEC really doesn’t give a shit what you think should be done. You, for the first time ever, are not on home turf. You basically are leaving a sinking ship with bags of money, hoping to be picked up by somebody. You, being Texas, don’t see it that way. But it is what it is. You bags of money are what’s getting you picked up. You’re not a cultural fit with any of the schools and your reputation for trying to runs things is well known. They remember how you put them down 10 years ago as not being up to your academic and cultural standards and how you wanted to go with the west coast schools. And Arkansas, Missouri and A&M have pretty well put the word out you don’t play well with others.

True. what most people don't realize is how different the south is from Texas.  Those of us who have live in the south have discovered just how different.  They (the SEC) realizes individually that they aren't as strong as Texas, but collectively they know they can and will control things.  They'll smile at you and slap you on the back and tell you what you want to hear, then when you leave the room they'll stab you in the back over and over again and do whatever they can to keep you subjugated to their rule.  It's going to be a rude awakening for many.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TigernMiamiAU83 said:

iB3EQ4b.png

I doubt Tech becomes an annual OOC opponent for UT. We'd have replaced aggy with them on Thanksgiving if UT really considered Tech a rival. Too many better TV ratings options OOC; tOSU, Michigan, USC...you get the idea.

7 hours ago, Bruno71 said:

This whole thread has been an interesting read and, I think, pretty much lays out the different ways this latest SEC group of schools can play each other going forward. 

But, being newbies to the conference, you will discover the old guard that runs the SEC really doesn’t give a shit what you think should be done. You, for the first time ever, are not on home turf. You basically are leaving a sinking ship with bags of money, hoping to be picked up by somebody. You, being Texas, don’t see it that way. But it is what it is. You bags of money are what’s getting you picked up. You’re not a cultural fit with any of the schools and your reputation for trying to runs things is well known. They remember how you put them down 10 years ago as not being up to your academic and cultural standards and how you wanted to go with the west coast schools. And Arkansas, Missouri and A&M have pretty well put the word out you don’t play well with others. 

If the aggies' opinion of UT mattered, A&M would've been kept in the loop on the SEC's plans the past 6 months and Sankey would've honored the alleged "gentleman's agreement" between former commish, Slive, and Bowtie. He was 2nd in command when A&M joined, right? Surely, Sankey would've had first hand knowledge of this agreement.

Based on this, we can surmise the SEC's "old guard" doesn't really give a shit what A&M thinks. Money > Culture, though, you got that part right. In time, we'll see who wields more influence at the SEC office. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I doubt Tech becomes an annual OOC opponent for UT. We'd have replaced aggy with them on Thanksgiving if UT really considered Tech a rival. Too many better TV ratings options OOC; tOSU, Michigan, USC...you get the idea.

Agree. I don't see any way that TT is an annual OOC opponent. Those three of OC games will be like gold nuggets for each team and very carefully planned by everyone. Two total cupcakes that do not require a return trip to the cupcakes stadium plus a nationally prominent interesting opponent. Like LSU for TX in 2019 and PSU for AU this year, UGA for Clemson this year, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

One more thing. You keep talking about this ‘Rivalry’ game with the Ags. It’s over. A&M moved on 10 years ago. For money and political reasons, A&M bosses may well take an annual game with Texas. But it won’t be because they want to. You may have heard this already, but the Ags feel like someone who finally got rid of their crazy, domineering ex, moved into a nice home in a nice neighborhood, made new friends and had plans for the future. Ten years later, the ex tracks them down, goes to the HOA,who then moves the ex into one of your spare bedrooms. And then said ex wants to pick things back up where they were 10 years ago.
None of this may matter anyway. I’m thinking all of us could just be a minor league for the NFL in a few years. Schools would only matter as a place for the players in development to play. Yearly transfers between teams. Players on payroll. Deferred academic scholarships(no school while playing), etc. But the schools will be making lots of money so who cares.
But, like I said, this is a good thread with grownup discussions and disagreements. I can’t say that for some of Surly’s threads. But you probably know that.

I hope you read the why did the swc die thread Instead of outright blaming Texas for it ceasing to exist. But my guess is that is part basis for your bullshit.

I’d say most know that Texas isn’t running Jack in the SEC and all this speculation is for fun. Damn near everyone knows this is about money and survival.

We weren’t exactly on home turf when the Big 12 was setup. The first Big 12 championship was in St Louis. The current tourneys are in OKC and KC.

Nebraska got pissed because Prop 48 or whatever it was. Every other school in their right mind should have voted that down. Then we proceeded to beat their asses. And in very important games too. And the odd thing is damn near anything Texas would fight for would have benefited the Aggies.

Many Texas people don’t care for DeLoss so I’m sure he alienated certain people in power at other schools.

Keep in mind you are in pawn for the Sec. and it’s all about their greed for money and power. They will share their money with you to achieve their ultimate purpose, but you also need to know that you’ve played a part in your Texas brethren fighting for their athletic lives because the SEC wants to rule the college athletic landscape and don’t care who gets left behind.

56 minutes ago, TigernMiamiAU83 said:

Agree. I don't see any way that TT is an annual OOC opponent. Those three of OC games will be like gold nuggets for each team and very carefully planned by everyone. Two total cupcakes that do not require a return trip to the cupcakes stadium plus a nationally prominent interesting opponent. Like LSU for TX in 2019 and PSU for AU this year, UGA for Clemson this year, etc.

We can play Tech in the annual patsy game in November, since they'll be somewhere in the AAC. 

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So, when the SEC also adds Clemson and Florida St....

The ACC seems pretty content.  They're more likely to make moves than get poached. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

The ACC seems pretty content.  They're more likely to make moves than get poached. 

Maybe not necessarily those two but I don't think the SEC will stand pat at 16. Any more than that would require pods, I assume. They're not going to have two divisions of 9 or 10 teams each. 

2 hours ago, TigernMiamiAU83 said:

iB3EQ4b.png

yKkXwNz.png

If we get 3 permanent opponents, they have to be Arky, Aggy, and OU. 

Mizzou is not a historical rival. There were like 3 years when they played us competitively.

Make that change and let's ride!

• Hook 'Em 1

iB3EQ4b.png

yKkXwNz.png

Why in the hell would Texas agree to play Tech every single year? 

If the Horns play a 9 game SEC schedule, they should be scheduling one marquee ACC/Big Ten/PAC 12 opponent, and some combination of UTSA/UTEP, Texas State, Rice, and North Texas. 

I like playing Rice. Good historic ties there, but I don't think a game in Houston every other year really helps recruiting when we're SEC!SEC!SEC!

I think 4 pods is the best way to avoid not playing teams in fucking forever.  I hate that about their existing scheduling.  With 4 pods of 4 you try for parity by putting two historically strong schools in with 2 historically weaker teams, using common sense geography as much as possible.

So you play everyone in your pod, that's 3 games.  Then every team has a permanent rival with the other pods.  This is another 3 conference games and should make it easy to keep historical rivalries and establish new ones going forward.  Lastly, each team plays the other 3 teams in all three other pods on a rotating basis ensuring every team in the league plays every other every 3 years.  Nine conference games a year, 6 potential 'rivals' for each team.  Decent intra-conference schedule variety each year.

Absolutely where this is headed. 

1. Scrimmage vs Rice, Tulane, UT System Schools
2. Some mid major like LA Tech 
3. Gold Nugget
4. For the rivalry weekend game probably take another pass at ND , otherwise rotate more Gold Nuggets 

10 hours ago, Bruno71 said:

For money and political reasons, A&M bosses may well take an annual game with Texas. But it won’t be because they want to.

If this process has taught us anything, it's that A&M is going to do whatever the fuck it's told to do.

As for pods vs divisions and the makeup of either, that will be driven by money. Texas and OU aren't joining the SEC to play regular games against Vandy and Mizzou. Texas vs A&M will draw a shit ton of viewers, which is the point of this whole exercise. I'd be shocked if they don't play every year. If we don't, it's because some alternative generates more viewership overall. It sure as shit won't have anything to do with what A&M wants.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Bingo.  SEC schedule really aren't that difficult.  Arky fans like to complain about their schedules but look at their 2019:

August 31 3:00 p.m. Portland State* SECN W 20–13 61,055 [6]
September 7 6:30 p.m. at Ole Miss SECN L 17–31 47,915 [7]
September 14 3:00 p.m. Colorado State*
  • Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium
  • Fayetteville, AR
SECN W 55–34 55,583 [8]
September 21 6:30 p.m. San Jose State*
  • Fayetteville, AR
SECN L 24–31 56,058 [9]
September 28 11:00 a.m. vs. No. 23 Texas A&M ESPN L 27–31 51,441 [10]
October 12 6:30 p.m. at Kentucky SECN L 20–24 57,060 [11]
October 19 11:00 a.m. No. 11 Auburn
  • Fayetteville, AR
SECN L 10–51 54,619 [12]
October 26 6:00 p.m. at No. 1 Alabama ESPN L 7–48 100,233 [13]
November 2 3:00 p.m. Mississippi Statedagger
  • Fayetteville, AR
SECN L 24–54 52,256 [14]
November 9 11:00 a.m. Western Kentucky*
  • Fayetteville, AR
SECN L 19–45 42,985 [15]
November 23 6:00 p.m. at No. 1 LSU ESPN L 20–56 101,173 [16]
November 29 1:30 p.m. Missouri CBS L 14–24 33,961

Even a good but not great OU or Texas goes 10-2 on that.  Arkansas went 2-10 so they think it's hard.

It helps that there were no P5 teams on the OOC schedule since Arkansas got a waiver for Michigan backing out of a H/H series. Not often you'd get Missouri and Kentucky both from the East in the same year under the old format either.

Really speaks to how awful of a coach that Morris was that he couldn't go better than 2-10 against maybe the easiest schedule we've had in decades though. Pittman last year got Georgia and Florida added and didn't have a Portland State or San Jose State and still won more than that.

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, so I decided to flesh out my idea a bit since that's what this thread is for. Long as fuck, so don't read if you don't want to. Here is the list of concerns I cared about when doing it:

1. Maintain all big traditional rivalries. Maintain as many secondary rivalries as possible.
  2. Ensure that rivalry week games are all in the same pod to eliminate the possibility of turnaround rematches in the championship game. Even rivalries where realistically those two teams would never both be in a championship game (e.g., Tennessee/Vanderbilt).
  3. I included Texas/Texas A&M in that because even if it returns to the Thanksgiving weekend tradition that would be too close to the title game. Same with the Egg Bowl and Thanksgiving.

Pods

West Pod - Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
River Pod - LSU, Mississippi St., Missouri, Ole Miss
Central Pod - Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East Pod - Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Permanent Interpod Rivals

Arkansas - Ole Miss, Alabama, Kentucky
Oklahoma - Mississippi St., Tennessee, Florida
Texas - Missouri, Vanderbilt, Georgia
Texas A&M - LSU, Auburn, South Carolina

LSU - Texas A&M, Alabama, South Carolina
Mississippi St. - Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Georgia
Missouri - Texas, Auburn, Kentucky
Ole Miss - Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida

Alabama - Arkansas, LSU, Kentucky
Auburn - Texas A&M, Mississippi St., Georgia
Tennessee - Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Florida
Vanderbilt - Texas, Missouri, South Carolina

Florida - Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Tennessee
Georgia - Texas, Mississippi St., Auburn
Kentucky - Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama
South Carolina - Texas A&M, LSU, Vanderbilt

So each team would have 6 permanent football opponents who they are guaranteed to play every year. Texas's would be Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Vanderbilt. The other 3 teams in each season's 9-game conference schedule would depend on which pods were paired.

THE THREE CONFIGURATIONS

Configuration One - West and River pods are paired as Division A, Central and East pods are paired as Division B

(cross-divisional games shown in parentheses)

Division A

Arkansas (Alabama, Kentucky)
LSU (Alabama, South Carolina)
Mississippi St. (Auburn, Georgia)
Missouri (Kentucky, Vanderbilt)
Oklahoma (Florida, Tennessee)
Ole Miss (Florida, Tennessee)
Texas (Georgia, Vanderbilt)
Texas A&M (Auburn, South Carolina)

Division B

Alabama (Arkansas, LSU)
Auburn (Mississippi St., Texas A&M)
Florida (Oklahoma, Ole Miss)
Georgia (Mississippi St., Texas)
Kentucky (Arkansas, Missouri)
South Carolina (LSU, Texas A&M)
Tennessee (Oklahoma, Ole Miss)
Vanderbilt (Missouri, Texas)

Configuration Two - West and Central pods are paired as Division A, River and East pods are paired as Division B

Division A

Alabama (Kentucky, LSU)
Arkansas (Kentucky, Ole Miss)
Auburn (Georgia, Mississippi St.)
Oklahoma (Florida, Mississippi St.)
Tennessee (Florida, Ole Miss)
Texas (Georgia, Missouri)
Texas A&M (LSU, South Carolina)
Vanderbilt (Missouri, South Carolina)

Division B

LSU (Alabama, Texas A&M)
Florida (Oklahoma, Tennessee)
Georgia (Auburn, Texas)
Kentucky (Alabama, Arkansas)
Mississippi St. (Auburn, Oklahoma)
Missouri (Texas, Vanderbilt)
Ole Miss (Arkansas, Tennessee)
South Carolina (Texas A&M, Vanderbilt)

Configuration Three - West and East pods are paired as Division A, River and Central pods are paired as Division B

Division A

Arkansas (Alabama, Ole Miss)
Florida (Ole Miss, Tennessee)
Georgia (Auburn, Mississippi St.)
Kentucky (Alabama, Missouri)
Oklahoma (Mississippi St., Tennessee)
South Carolina (LSU, Vanderbilt)
Texas (Missouri, Vanderbilt)
Texas A&M (Auburn, LSU)

Division B

Alabama (Arkansas, Kentucky)
Auburn (Georgia, Texas A&M)
LSU (South Carolina, Texas A&M)
Mississippi St. (Georgia, Oklahoma)
Missouri (Kentucky, Texas)
Ole Miss (Arkansas, Florida)
Tennessee (Florida, Oklahoma)
Vanderbilt (South Carolina, Texas)

Obviously some tweaks could be made. Schedules would be easier for some teams but then that would switch for the next two year pairing in most cases.

Okay, so thought I'd add to this idea with the following info, each team's 6 permanent annual opponents for comparison:

Alabama - Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Arkansas - Alabama, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Texas, Texas A&M
Auburn - Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Florida - Georgia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee
Georgia - Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi St., South Carolina, Texas
Kentucky - Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, South Carolina
LSU - Alabama, Mississippi St., Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas A&M
Mississippi St. - Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Ole Miss
Missouri - Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi St., Ole Miss, Texas, Vanderbilt
Oklahoma - Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M
Ole Miss - Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Mississippi St., Missouri, Tennessee
South Carolina - Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tennessee - Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt
Texas - Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Texas A&M - Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas
Vanderbilt - Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas

Teams would play the other 9 conference teams twice every six years.

13 hours ago, Bruno71 said:

One more thing. You keep talking about this ‘Rivalry’ game with the Ags. It’s over. A&M moved on 10 years ago. For money and political reasons, A&M bosses may well take an annual game with Texas. But it won’t be because they want to. You may have heard this already, but the Ags feel like someone who finally got rid of their crazy, domineering ex, moved into a nice home in a nice neighborhood, made new friends and had plans for the future. Ten years later, the ex tracks them down, goes to the HOA,who then moves the ex into one of your spare bedrooms. And then said ex wants to pick things back up where they were 10 years ago. 😂

None of this may matter anyway. I’m thinking all of us could just be a minor league for the NFL in a few years. Schools would only matter as a place for the players in development to play. Yearly transfers between teams. Players on payroll. Deferred academic scholarships(no school while playing), etc. But the schools will be making lots of money so who cares.

But, like I said, this is a good thread with grownup discussions and disagreements. I can’t say that for some of Surly’s threads. But you probably know that.

dont care lol GIF

I get the political coverage by why is Texas Tech a constant mention in this whole conversation?  

Jesus fucking christ, we have to keep pretending that every public college is equal?  It's costing us money to pretend that everybody is equal in Texas.  

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, so thought I'd add to this idea with the following info, each team's 6 permanent annual opponents for comparison:

Alabama - Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Arkansas - Alabama, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Texas, Texas A&M
Auburn - Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Florida - Georgia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee
Georgia - Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi St., South Carolina, Texas
Kentucky - Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, South Carolina
LSU - Alabama, Mississippi St., Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas A&M
Mississippi St. - Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Ole Miss
Missouri - Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi St., Ole Miss, Texas, Vanderbilt
Oklahoma - Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M
Ole Miss - Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Mississippi St., Missouri, Tennessee
South Carolina - Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tennessee - Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt
Texas - Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Texas A&M - Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas
Vanderbilt - Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas

Teams would play the other 9 conference teams twice every six years.

* other 3 teams. Vanderbilt?

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

* other 3 teams. Vanderbilt?

Not sure what you're saying or asking. For each team there are 6 annual opponents listed. That means there are 9 other conference teams. They'd end up playing each of those teams twice every six years.

Also not sure what you mean by Vanderbilt. They're there. And we need to play them 5+ times and quickly.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure what you're saying or asking. For each team there are 6 annual opponents listed. That means there are 9 other conference teams. They'd end up playing each of those teams twice every six years.

Also not sure what you mean by Vanderbilt. They're there. And we need to play them 5+ times and quickly.

My mistake - I was thinking 6+3 for 9 SEC games. Yeah, I guess somebody has to play Vanderbilt every year. I just hope it's not UT.

21 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

So with four pods, is there still a championship game or a tournament or what?

The winner of the pod containing Alabama is automatically declared the conference champion as that pod winner is Alabama.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, Js1 said:

It's been a loooong decade since we were all making plans for road trips to California for Pac-16 games. 

This is a different deal on many levels. Welcome to the SEC! BTW, if you are into traveling to away games, the football gameday experiences at our major schools are out of sight. As was our experience in Austin, each is unique and a lot of fun.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

A: Texas, OU, A&M, Mizzou
B: Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida 
C : LSU, Arky, Ole Miss, Miss St
D : Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky, Scar

I honestly don’t see any other way this shakes out if they go 4x4. Bama-Aub, UGA-Aub, & UGA-Fla are too big for the SEC to end. Arky & LSU I think have to be together to give LSU a rival. This makes the most sense
Swap piggie for aggy, one of group B has to go in either C or D, no way Sankey will put all four schools you have in pod B together.

except aggie gets off pretty easy in that pod.
If LSU doesnt get their shit together they get off easy, but the 6 games against other pods negates a swamp tigah off year. Of course aggy could say the same about us or blowU.

If we end up in divisions it'll be a massive missed opportunity by the conference. However, things can always change and if they choose to go the 2 Division route I hope some creative and intelligent people move the conference to a better and more innovative future.

• Hook 'Em 1

PODS that play like divisions - maybe to allow for flexibility later? 

Team plays the from own pod, all of a "rival" pod, then 1 each from the remaining 2 pods. 

Schedule example would allow a 4 year student to see a game against all 15 other teams, 11 of them at home at least once (except OU as the Neutral game)

image.thumb.png.5823906296314d6694e75adeee77194b.png

Some good connections between the various coaches in the new league. Feels like half the coaches in the league have been on a Saban staff, but just from the new additions: 

Sark goes way back with Lane. Most recently was Saban's OC. Former Texas OC in Harsin and there is a ton history with Leach from the Tech days. Little Briles from his Baylor tenure and brief Texas playing career. I'm sure Muschamp will pop up as someone's (Georgia's) DC sooner rather than later as well.

Lincoln joins a conference with his mentor Leach at MSU. Thousands of cheeseburgers ago Josh Heupel was a player at OU and more recently a fired coach. 

Should all make for some fun matchups and storylines over the next few years.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Some good connections between the various coaches in the new league. Feels like half the coaches in the league have been on a Saban staff, but just from the new additions: 

Sark goes way back with Lane. Most recently was Saban's OC. Former Texas OC in Harsin and there is a ton history with Leach from the Tech days. Little Briles from his Baylor tenure and brief Texas playing career. I'm sure Muschamp will pop up as someone's (Georgia's) DC sooner rather than later as well.

Lincoln joins a conference with his mentor Leach at MSU. Thousands of cheeseburgers ago Josh Heupel was a player at OU and more recently a fired coach. 

Should all make for some fun matchups and storylines over the next few years.

There are certainly some interesting and impressive coaches there.  Probably the best coaches in CFB

Agreed. Each pod has a current dominant team (OU, LSU, Alabama, Georgia), a traditional team that can be great (Texas, aggy, Auburn, Florida), a decent team (Mizzou, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky) and the cannon fodder (Arkansas, MSU, Vandy, and Cocks). 

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Agreed. Each pod has a current dominant team (OU, LSU, Alabama, Georgia), a traditional team that can be great (Texas, aggy, Auburn, Florida), a decent team (Mizzou, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky) and the cannon fodder (Arkansas, MSU, Vandy, and Cocks). 

Et tu Brute? 

I think that's the current 2nd best option, behind giving every team their own unique "personal pod" of 3 annual rivals, then the other 6 teams rotate either swapping home and away first, then swap 6 and do them home and away, or go first 6, second 6, first 6 opp location, second 6 opp location.  That gets everyone playing every team both home and away in each 4 year cycle. Glorious. 

The "personal pods" just make the fine-tuning of keeping the best games easier. 

Despite contrary opinions, I think the Auburn fans are willing to sacrifice the Auburn-Georgia game, especially since it will be played every other year.  They are sick of playing a top 3 hardest schedule every year. They would not give up the Iron bowl.   The other option I've seen swaps Tennesse/Vanderbilt for Ole Miss/Miss State as a more traditional game for Bama and Auburn.  Ags will do anything to stay out of a division with Texas -OU, and nobody wants to see LSU get an easy pod anyway so putting A&M with LSU makes sense, and gives the Ags a bone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

aggy in not traditional and hasn't been great since 1939.  Tennessee is a traditional team.  Arkansas and South Carolina have division titles (pigs have 3), something aggy, Ole Miss, UK and Vandy can't claim.  And LSU was 5-5 last year and on probation.

35 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

Despite contrary opinions, I think the Auburn fans are willing to sacrifice the Auburn-Georgia game, especially since it will be played every other year.  They are sick of playing a top 3 hardest schedule every year. They would not give up the Iron bowl.   The other option I've seen swaps Tennesse/Vanderbilt for Ole Miss/Miss State as a more traditional game for Bama and Auburn.  Ags will do anything to stay out of a division with Texas -OU, and nobody wants to see LSU get an easy pod anyway so putting A&M with LSU makes sense, and gives the Ags a bone.

I'm married to a Georgia alum and have an Auburn son.  You should not post about SEC things.

This is a huge rivalry for both schools and has been played many more times than Auburn-Alabama, which wasn't played for a 40 year stretch (yes most people who remember that are no longer alive-but it was skipped for a long time).

Bullet, just my opinion. I have lots of Auburn friends. It is a huge rivalry, but it's been getting old playing such a brutal schedule. Adding Texas and OU ain't gonna make it easier. The hate for Georgia is a 9 out of 10. The hate for Bama is at least an 11 out of 10.

27 minutes ago, bullet said:

aggy in not traditional and hasn't been great since 1939.  Tennessee is a traditional team.  Arkansas and South Carolina have division titles (pigs have 3), something aggy, Ole Miss, UK and Vandy can't claim.  And LSU was 5-5 last year and on probation.

I knew that choosing aggy would trigger some of you. My point was the balance in those pods is pretty good. In a 4 team pod with LSU and the MS schools, they're clearly #2. LSU just won a championship and lost half their team. Arkansas hasn't beaten aggy since they joined the SEC. Most years, South Carolina would be picked dead last in that pod. Sure Tennessee is a traditional team but they haven't done much of anything since 2007 with 8 losing seasons. They're wandered the desert more than us in the same time frame. 

20 hours ago, bullet said:

Every year that goes by I'm not sure if Tennessee will ever get back to what they were. Kentucky has been a better program lately which I never thought would be possible in football.

Honestly not much difference between Tennessee and Arkansas at this point except Arkansas had success in the 60's-70's and Tennessee did in the 90's - couple decades difference 30+ years ago.

I'm married to a Georgia alum and have an Auburn son.  You should not post about SEC things.
This is a huge rivalry for both schools and has been played many more times than Auburn-Alabama, which wasn't played for a 40 year stretch (yes most people who remember that are no longer alive-but it was skipped for a long time).

Yeah, auburn Georgia rivalry is huge.

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)