New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

My preference

Pod 1

texas, ou, arky, Missou, lsu

pod 2

bama, auburn, miss, miss st, tenn

pod 3 

georgia, Florida,  carolina, Kentucky, vandy

gtfo

aggy

you play your 4 pod mates and either all 5 of another pod on rotation or 2 and 3. Sends a few rivalries to every other year but not many. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I do think the SEC will throw aggy a bone and keep them in a pod with LSU and away from us and OU. If the vote is 14-0, I bet it would be an absolute certainty. 

8 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I do think the SEC will throw Aggie a bone and not put them in the same pod as UT

7 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Maybe so, but I think the SEC will throw aggy a bone and align them with LSU and the Mississippi's. We'll get OU, Arky, and Mizzou.

Sorry we reneged on our "gentleman's agreement'. emoji107.png

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Edited by Bullneck

A: Texas, OU, A&M, Mizzou

B: Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida 

C : LSU, Arky, Ole Miss, Miss St

D : Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky, Scar

I honestly don’t see any other way this shakes out if they go 4x4. Bama-Aub, UGA-Aub, & UGA-Fla are too big for the SEC to end. Arky & LSU I think have to be together to give LSU a rival. This makes the most sense

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I honestly don’t see any other way this shakes out if they go 4x4.

There's "honestly" no other way you see this shaking out? Come on let's be serious. Bama and Tennesee is one of the biggest rivalries. Putting UGA, UF and Bama in the same pod is the same as putting Texas, OU and LSU. It'd be fun but counter productive and unnecessary. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

7 division games, 1 permanent from the other division, 1 rotates through the others. 

No oddball way to determine who goes to the CCG, rivalries protected, tv gets matchups, etc. 

Too simple to do that though. 

It's also simple to have 3 regional rivals and rotate the other 6 teams. Play everyone regularly, mix it up and have fun. I mean why be stuck in 1980 if you don't have to be. Expand your imagination.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Schedules would potentially be way too imbalanced with the pods.  

I 100% disagree with this. The "pod" only means you play the 3 regional teams every year. If you lay out the map that covers almost every rivalry because rivalries were developed throughout history by geography. 

After that myself and @Neonmoon proposed systems, albeit his was more straightforward, that allowed for team to maintain almost every historical rival and play every other team in the conference every other year. 

It honestly takes a lack of imagination to suggest divisions in 2021. There's rivalries that we can enhance and promote and also diversity of schedule possible. 

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Too much diversity of schedule isn’t a good thing when you are trying to determine a conference champion.  Divisions mean you’re guaranteed to be on more or less even footing with your competitors for the spot in the conference championship.   Pods would guarantee some years where strength of schedule is wildly different within the conference.

Who cares? Make it fun. There's only 3 teams you play every year and there's a way to play every team every other year. 

So some years it might be imbalanced. That happens now. I don't understand why someone would support a system where you couldn't duck anyone. 

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

Who cares? Make it fun. There's only 3 teams you play every year and there's a way to play every team every other year. 

So some years it might be imbalanced. That happens now. I don't understand why someone would support a system where you couldn't duck anyone. 

If you really don't support a system where you can't duck anyone, then you should want to stay in the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I honestly don’t see any other way this shakes out if they go 4x4. Bama-Aub, UGA-Aub, & UGA-Fla are too big for the SEC to end. Arky & LSU I think have to be together to give LSU a rival. This makes the most sense

C and D are dogshit.  No chance

• Hook 'Em 3

A : Texas, LSU, Aggy, Arky

B : OU, Tenn, Mizzou, Vandy

C : Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St

D : Florida, UGA, SC, UK

One permanent rival in each other pod including:  UT vs OU, Tenn vs Bama, LSU vs Bama, Tenn vs Florida, Auburn vs UGA.  

There are two historic elite teams per pod and they in regional close proximity.  All rivalries are maintained and the pods are reasonably balanced.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A : Texas, LSU, Aggy, Arky

B : OU, Tenn, Mizzou, Vandy

One permanent rival in each other pod including:  UT vs OU, Tenn vs Bama, LSU vs Bama, Tenn vs Florida, Auburn vs UGA.  

There are two historic elite teams per pod and they in regional close proximity.  All rivalries are maintained and the pods are reasonably balanced.

Repping to get you to 667. Your pod hands ou A shot at the final four every year.  Here’s the winning nsiap D1E9B893-7D5C-47F4-8BEF-28E1271D5E5A.jpeg.d98976645fec654a144aaa48cadf9f80.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Why couldn’t they incorporate some iteration of the NFL scheduling model? You play everyone in your pod and another pod which rotates by year.  Then have 1 game against each of the other pods and those matchups are determined by where you finished in your pod the  year before. #1 vs #1, # 4 vs #4. The biggest drawback would be how to handle out of pod rivalry games. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Why couldn’t they incorporate some iteration of the NFL scheduling model? You play everyone in your pod and another pod which rotates by year.  Then have 1 game against each of the other pods and those matchups are determined by where you finished in your pod the  year before. #1 vs #1, # 4 vs #4. The biggest drawback would be how to handle out of pod rivalry games. 

The SEC likes to do long term planning. They've already got the SEC schedule planned through 2026 I believe. That would be a bit of a logistical beating and I'd imagine there would be cries of unfairness if scheduling for one was not as favorable to another, like aggy getting Florida off a game with OU. 

I do like the set pod against pod idea. Then you know you're going to play Florida, Georgia, Vandy, and Kentucky one year and then the Bama/Auburn wing the next. 

Edited by mdmost

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Repping to get you to 667. Your pod hands ou A shot at the final four every year.  Here’s the winning nsiap D1E9B893-7D5C-47F4-8BEF-28E1271D5E5A.jpeg.d98976645fec654a144aaa48cadf9f80.jpeg

This is the easiest, simplest, and best solution. I don’t see why people keep trying to make it more complicated. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

And we don’t? A neutral site against the toughest opponent. The other two programs are beyond mediocre

Like I said, I think it is the most equitable possible solution.  LSU for the moment is looking like it's cycling down

A : Texas, Aggy, Arky, Tenn

B : OU, LSU, Mizzou, Vandy

or

A : Texas, Aggy, Arky, Ole Miss

B : OU, LSU, Mizzou, Miss St.

C : Bama, Auburn, Tenn, UK

D : Florida, UGA, SC, Vandy

Edited by RollLeft

11 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Fuck a bunch of pods. 
ED3345A0-E69E-441E-8E01-1B997893037B.thumb.jpeg.882b6fa97eb4722f00d9d09e1819ca50.jpeg

this really is the most fair from a competitive standpoint.  not really a fan of pods. yeah you only get Bama twice in 8 years but you still have years where you get one or 2 of Fla/Ga/Aub

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

this really is the most fair from a competitive standpoint.  not really a fan of pods. yeah you only get Bama twice in 8 years but you still have years where you get one or 2 of Fla/Ga/Aub

We'd get Bama twice every 4 years with a 9-game SEC schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Any pod system that doesn't include a Texas, OU, Arkansas, aggy pod is terrible.

the problem is you leave at least one pod that is very unbalanced(at least using historical program power numbers)

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You look like a dunce every time you use USNWR rankings. Nobody takes those rankings seriously in terms of actual academic and research standing. All you have to do is read the methodology.

Just helping out. 

Yeah you beat me to it.  USNWR rankings have always been completely irrelevant, based on their methodology alone.

If A&M isn't in the pod with Texas and the SEC doesn't take advantage of reigniting the annual Thanksgiving game they've missed a huge opportunity. Aggy won't live it down either because the perception will be they whined their way out of being in our pod and are ducking us. 

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

aggy looks down on Arky, LSU looks down at aggy

What is the true rivalry game, anyway?

For a looooooong time for us it was ou then arky then aggy. 80s aggy cheating/beating us and arky leaving early 90s changed that but I’d just as soon slot pig back in their traditional spot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)