Senate Dems propose requiring women to register for military draft

lmao

Should women be required by law to register for the draft?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should women have to register for the draft?

9 hours ago, formermav43 said:

No one should have to register for the draft.

But if you’re going to require it of men, then it should be required of women too.

Agreed.  But we need to also stop foreign misadventures.  If the civilian leadership is going to decide to invade countries based on lies (WMD in Iraq), there should be some skin in the game from more than military families who all volunteered for this.

• Like 1

I like the idea of any draft-eligible aged children, grand children, great grand children of congress critters voting in favor of military action getting packed off to the front lines.  The biggest problem is this will not deter republicans from exercising recklessness on their votes.  They much prefer those Lockheed-Martin campaign contributions over the safety of their own offspring.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh how politician.  Let's expend political capital and time promoting and arguing about a process issue where the true end result is likely something we would never actually have the need (wars are getting fought much differently now) or political will/agreement to actually institute.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Rules for thee, not for me?

I can see your point. But, ask yourself this: IF, in order to be registered for the draft, each individual’s parent had to agree, would you do so?

I can imagine some folks would, but I would not. Otoh, if either daughter convinced me she wanted to enlist, I would support her decision.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour, everyone wanted to enlist. When we fought in Vietnam, there was a different dynamic. 

16 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I can see your point. But, ask yourself this: IF, in order to be registered for the draft, each individual’s parent had to agree, would you do so?

I can imagine some folks would, but I would not. Otoh, if either daughter convinced me she wanted to enlist, I would support her decision.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour, everyone wanted to enlist. When we fought in Vietnam, there was a different dynamic. 

Yes, I would. But it doesn’t matter because it’s not required. It’s not required because every parent thinks their child is special and should get special treatment. Hence why a draft is needed. No special rules. No special treatment. Everyone’s name goes in a hat, men and women, the people selected have to go. 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

No, because nobody should have to register for the draft.

Yes, because nobody should have to register for the draft.

The more people who have their skin in the game, the less popular and therefore less likely it comes to pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I like the idea of any draft-eligible aged children, grand children, great grand children of congress critters voting in favor of military action getting packed off to the front lines.  The biggest problem is this will not deter republicans from exercising recklessness on their votes.  They much prefer those Lockheed-Martin campaign contributions over the safety of their own offspring.

Ha ha ha like they'd ever enforce the draft for their own kids

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Two daughters. I voted no. 

I have two sons.  I voted yes.

Either citizens are equal or we aren't.  and FTR, I don't favor reinstating the draft either, but if the country is in a bad spot, it should be all hands on deck.

Edited by slorch

On 7/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, Willfully Horn said:

I may be taking this comment out of context, but what kind of fucked up policy would that be? A nation cannot go to war unless the parents agree? Both parents? 

So a nation could be held hostage to mothers who don't want their children to go to war? 

That would be fine if everybody did that. 

Here's the thing about the draft, at least as regards past wars.

You could sit around waiting to see if the lottery would hit your number and then be stuck as MOS 11 in the Big Green Machine.

Or, you could volunteer in a branch of your choosing, with some degree of control over your MOS and make your military service more possibly personally useful or fulfilling, as well as still serving a vital role in the war effort.

Also, I think the act of registering for the draft is somewhat sobering for a lot of callow youth.  Even if it never comes to pass, as it did not in my case, it reminds you of the cost of whatever it is we have here.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I have two sons.  I voted yes.

Either citizens are equal or we aren't.  and FTR, I don't favor reinstating the draft either, but if the country is in a bad spot, it should be all hands on deck.

I spoke to all your points up thread., We  agree.

36 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I may be taking this comment out of context, but what kind of fucked up policy would that be? A nation cannot go to war unless the parents agree? Both parents? 

So a nation could be held hostage to mothers who don't want their children to go to war? 

That would be fine if everybody did that. 

It was not a stab at making policy, but at explaining why I voted the way I did.