Magic, Larry, and Michael vs KD, Steph, and LeBron

shadow_operative

Who wins a best of seven 3 on 3?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins a best of seven 3 on 3

• Magic, Michael, Larry
    • Steph, LeBron, KD

Whoever Curry is guarding will just post him up and dominate him.

Cool, and whoever is guarding Curry (probably Bird's slow ass) will just get 3s bombed in his face all day. Team modern wins 21-14. It would be much uglier than that. It the old heads got 10 I'd be shocked, unless it's 80s/90s Pistons WWF Rules.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Cool, and whoever is guarding Curry (probably Bird's slow ass) will just get 3s bombed in his face all day. Team modern wins 21-14.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Jordan would be guarding Curry. He has never been guarded like Jordan would guard him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Cool, and whoever is guarding Curry (probably Bird's slow ass) will just get 3s bombed in his face all day. Team modern wins 21-14. It would be much uglier than that. It the old heads got 10 I'd be shocked, unless it's 80s/90s Pistons WWF Rules.

Somebody didn’t read the op.

How in the fuck will the young bucks guard MML? They don’t stand a chance
LeBron would dominate Magic on both ends. MJ Durant would be a great great matchup that I'd love to see. I think they'd kinda both score at will because MJ, as good as his defense was, would have no answer for KD's rise up jumper. And obviously KD can't guard Jordan. But Curry would just abuse Bird on offense. It'd be horrific. And Bird wouldn't have the range to keep LeBron from packing the paint a bit vs Magic and him. Not a lot of range on team old head.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

And Bird wouldn't have the range to keep LeBron from packing the paint a bit vs Magic and him. 

Bird wouldn't have the range?

You just proved you don't know what you're talking about.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

LeBron would dominate Magic on both ends. MJ Durant would be a great great matchup that I'd love to see. I think they'd kinda both score at will because MJ, as good as his defense was, would have no answer for KD's rise up jumper. And obviously KD can't guard Jordan. But Curry would just abuse Bird on offense. It'd be horrific. And Bird wouldn't have the range to keep LeBron from packing the paint a bit vs Magic and him. Not a lot of range on team old head.

Tell me you never saw prime Magic without telling me you never saw prime Magic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Larry Bird doesn’t have the range to keep a defender from backing off into the paint?  That’s just really, really wrong.   Pre-back injuries Bird also wasn’t a complete stiff who would get abused on defense as badly as we are acting.  
If it’s 1s and 2s, the new guys win more often than not because Durant and Curry would bomb more 2s and they count double.  If it’s 2s and 3s, then I’d take MML.

That's fair too. He was a good defender in maul ball 90s NBA. But defensively he was at his best on the prowl between the paint and the arc. Curry would have so much space to shoot. Imagine curry running around a LeBron screen and Bird trying to run around it (Or Magic trying to switch). So many open shots. It'd be ugly.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That's fair too. He was a good defender in maul ball 90s NBA. But defensively he was at his best on the prowl between the paint and the arc. Curry would have so much space to shoot. Imagine curry running around a LeBron screen and Bird trying to run around it (Or Magic trying to switch). So many open shots. It'd be ugly.

You don't even have the right decade. Bird's prime was definitely in the 80's.

edit- no i didn't.

i voted for the current guys, but it was razor thin for me. as matt mentioned, the 1's and 2's gives the younger guys the slight edge. but as someone else said, the modern rules and officiating is really the only reason that this question even exists. MJ would really cause Steph some problems if he's allowed to have his hands all over him the entire game.

Edited by shadow_operative

He had 6 years over 40% from 3, and his highest finish was 2nd in the league.   Um … what was the learning experience supposed to be?
Conceded. You're right.

He shot 130 that year. That's less than half that Giannis shot this year. Doesn't change the point that Curry would absolutely Shred Bird. Larry shooting 3s is a best case scenario for team avocado toast because it's the most inefficient shot on the floor.

This is like when young people didn’t realize Michael Jordan was once the quickest player in the league and a poster dunk machine because until a couple of years ago all the YouTube highlights of him were from 97 and 98 when he was an old post up player.   Are people only aware of Larry Bird from 1992 Dream Team highlights now?

Pretty sure I'm older than you, you fuck.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

pssssh. .06 tops. give me some time. 

Haha. Here's my take...

I love KD. I am literally one of his biggest fans. And I think LeBron is unquestionably the 2nd greatest player ever. And I don't think twice about this matchup.

MJ is my GOAT. I probably put Magic 3rd or 4th depending on what I'm feeling. Bird is maybe 8th at worst for me. 

KD and Curry are awesome. But c'mon man... you get MJ AND 2 other top 7-8 guys of all time? Stop.

I've told y'all before - these debates generally go down to the MJ flow chart for me. Do you have MJ on your team? Yes or no. If yes, I'm picking your team. KD and Curry are amazing - so is LeBron. But MJ was an absolute psycho about winning in a way that none of those guys are. And to add to that - Bird and Magic were probably both more ruthless competitors than all 3 of them, too. 

LeBron and friends might surprise in the first 2 contests but they will get figured out and beat in 6 or 7. Curry is just such a hampering presence in this matchup. His physicality is nowhere near the other 5 guys. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Everybody shot less 3s.  It’s not because he couldn’t shoot.  

Kinda the point though right? We're not talking Bird in bizarro world where he spent 80% of practice reps shooting 3s. We're talking about actual bird vs. actual Curry confined by a ruleset where 3 pointers are worth 33% more, relatively, than they are by NBA rules which is huge. Curry's true shooting is like 10% higher than Birds in the normal NBA which would translate to something ridiculous. I'm not shitting on Bird. He's my dad's favorite NBA guy and I grew up watching him. But his play style would get crushed. We're not talking "Bird if he had 5 years to adapt to the modern game".

Derka pretty clearly stated modern rules. 80s rules the old dudes win easily. My answer is just a product of the parameters.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

MML.  Kobe would be a net negative taking shots away from KD and Lebron and shooting a worse percentage than everyone else in that game.   It does even out the defense and size, though.  You are correct about Curry being a massive defensive liability in these scenarios.   Any one of MML could score at will on him due to the size difference - I might even have to rethink whether Curry and Durant shooting 2s would be able to overcome that.   

Idk. I feel like LeBron would get him to cut out some of the Kobe bullshit. I was definitely going for a better matchup physicality wise. Durant's prob the best rim protector of the 6 and LeBron at his peak was a phenomenal defender. 

Is there any way I can give a kidney to watch that 3 on 3? 

I'm not getting into it with Bradley but that's Tom McMillen and that was MJ's rookie year. Sure McMillen was pretty scrubby but let's not pretend like KD, Bron and Currry haven't baptized scrubs their entire career in the regular season. 

See: Durant vs. John Salmons 2014 - OKC vs. Toronto. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

one of the more interesting aspects of this would be the shit-talk that MML would be giving SLK the entire time. would be amazing to get to watch and see how the younger guys handle it. 

KD is quietly a legendary shit talker. I think they'd do okay. Not sure anyone has ever gotten to Bron or KD verbally. I actually think Curry is kind of a bad mofo in this regard, too. But I already made the comment that MML are some fucking psychos when it comes to making you eat your own shit. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine thinking that KD is a better rim protector than LeBron James, Magic Johnson and even Larry Bird. Yikes. You're in too deep dude.

I have you on ignore but I'll entertain you for this one comment. Pretty sure KD has the highest blocks per game mark of any of those guys. You're welcome to let the adults talk. 

one of the more interesting aspects of this would be the shit-talk that MML would be giving SLK the entire time. would be amazing to get to watch and see how the younger guys handle it. 

We've already watched Curry shield Durant from Lebron's shit talk. He'd protect him from MJ too. Bird, Jordan and Curry are the only three dudes that intimidate anyone but we already know Steph isn't scared. He and LeBron would do enough to keep KDs confidence going as long as they locked him out of his Twitter burners

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We've already watched Curry shield Durant from Lebron's shit talk. He'd protect him from MJ too. Bird, Jordan and Curry are the only three dudes that intimidate anyone but we already know Steph isn't scared. He and LeBron would do enough to keep KDs confidence going as long as they locked him out of his Twitter burners

Would Curry be holding KD's hand the whole time? Curry would have his hands (and ears) full with MJ while Bird would be playing mind games on KD and Magic would be echoing and laughing at what his teammates would be saying.

If they are using current rules, the young guys would be a man down after somebody loses their cool and throws a punch.

Would Curry be holding KD's hand the whole time? Curry would have his hands (and ears) full with MJ while Bird would be playing mind games on KD and Magic would be echoing and laughing at what his teammates would be saying.
If they are using current rules, the young guys would be a man down after somebody loses their cool and throws a punch.
That's a fair point. We know Steph and LeBron have the mental toughness. My third is kind of a pussy, but he doesn't have AIDS at least

Just now, BradInATX said:
2 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

That's a fair point. We know Steph and LeBron have the mental toughness. My third is kind of a pussy, but he doesn't have AIDS at least

They have mental toughness, but not Jordan or Bird level. 

It's amazing that Brad took a multiple months long sabbatical and came back as an even bigger fucking moron. Just know that you've moved from borderline ignore to perma ignore. Sorry, chief. We had fun but I'm too old for these Reindeer games. 

I mean, it's amazing to me that Durant - who is 6'11" and put up 1.6 bpg followed by 1.8 bpg in his time with the Warriors -  can't objectively be considered the best rim protector among such rim protecting legends as Michael Jordan, Magic, LeBron and fucking Larry Bird. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Well, you guys have done it! It's now official. Congrats. We are now like the old dudes that used to tell us when we were young that Prime Jordan wasn't a match for Oscar Robinson, Elgin Baylor, and Bill Russell. Hard truth, just like Oscar Robinson and the like were no match for the stars of the 80's and 90's, our guys are no match for peak KD, Bron, and Steph. 90's hand checking would have no effect, because this era guys are too herky jerky to stay connected to them. 90's rules also meant you could iso. People had to stay within 5 feet of their man. Whoever is guarding peak Bron is getting dunked on every single time. Steph is getting whatever shot he wants, and no one in that group wants any part of a 6'11 guy with that handle and shooting ability. On the other side, outside of Jordan's athletic ability, no one on the current squad would be particularly impressed with anything the old hats could do. Amazing back then? Sure, but who from this era can't handle and shoot? Bottom line, Jordan would have his way with Steph, but the other two would struggle against Peak KD and Peak Bron.

Also, whoever made the Elway example about not being good because he didn't pass a lot back then. Those quarterbacks also weren't throwing into the teeth of the elaborate combo defenses we see now. Back then the now defunct Tampa 2 defense was this amazing thing. That was before someone realized that you could send an athletic tight end up the seam and be open every single time.

You cannot compare eras. People are simply bigger, stronger, and more skilled than they ever were then.

• Like 1