I would like to keep Texas Tech game on the schedule

The Earl of Texas

Assuming move to the SEC, which Big 12 opponent would you like to keep playing regularly?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming move to the SEC, which Big 12 opponent would you like to keep playing regularly?

• Texas Tech
    • Baylor
    • TCU
    • Oklahoma State
    • Kansas State
    • Kansas
    • Iowa State
    • West Virginia

Would go with none if that was a choice. Would rather rotate a big OOC opponent like USC, Michigan, etc. regularly instead. Sporadic home-and-homes with any of these teams except Baylor would be fine too.

Edited by Bevo14

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I said OSU. Their fans are good natured and we both hate OU.

Tech fans are a lot spikier online, though the girls are fun.

I said ISU - I also like their fans.  But only as long as they have Campbell.  If they don't get that B1G or Pac invite, he won't stay.  And they won't be fun to play anymore. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I said OSU. Their fans are good natured and we both hate OU.

Tech fans are a lot spikier online, though the girls are fun.

EP-304109907.jpg?MaxW=600&MaxH=600

With regard to OOC scheduling, I seem to recall a poster (?Scipio) who once accurately advocated for either (A) you play home-and-home with a blue blood like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame. ***or** (B) you play a patsy -- maybe in a 2-for-1 series -- with a. regional team like Rice or Tulane, so that your team gets a few wins and your alums get some home games (or de facto home games), and the players get to play in front of their families at Rice stadium or wherever.  

But as I recall, and I think this was the phrase used, "Don't mess with Mr In-between."  i.e. don't travel far away to play mid-level teams who aren't marquee opponents, yet they're still good enough to beat you.

And though I like a lot of those fan bases (Oklahoma State, Iowa State), playing those teams 5 years from now really does nothing to sell your program to recruits ("Hey, Johnny Five Star!   If you come here, you'll get to be on TV when we go to AMES/STILLWATER/ETC!!!!!!").  

And those schools might have a proven head coach (Patterson, Gundy), who will fucking hang an out-of-conference "L" on you in a night-time, biggest-home-game-of-their-year upset.

Outside of nostalgia, there would be very little upside to playing almost all the teams in your poll.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

With regard to OOC scheduling, I seem to recall a poster (?Scipio) who once accurately advocated for either (A) you play home-and-home with a blue blood like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame. ***or** (B) you play a patsy -- maybe in a 2-for-1 series -- with a. regional team like Rice or Tulane, so that your team gets a few wins and your alums get some home games (or de facto home games), and the players get to play in front of their families at Rice stadium or wherever.  

But as I recall, and I think this was the phrase used, "Don't mess with Mr In-between."  i.e. don't travel far away to play mid-level teams who aren't marquee opponents, yet they're still good enough to beat you.

And though I like a lot of those fan bases (Oklahoma State, Iowa State), playing those teams 5 years from now really does nothing to sell your program to recruits ("Hey, Johnny Five Star!   If you come here, you'll get to be on TV when we go to AMES/STILLWATER/ETC!!!!!!").  

And those schools might have a proven head coach (Patterson, Gundy), who will fucking hang an out-of-conference "L" on you in a night-time, biggest-home-game-of-their-year upset.

Outside of nostalgia, there would be very little upside to playing almost all the teams in your poll.  

You mean like Maryland?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

You mean like Maryland?

Haha.  I was actually going to reference Maryland and BYU.  

We played Arkansas for purely nostalgic reasons (?2003), and they came in here and whipped our ass.

I’m certainly not advocating for Incarnate Word or Chattanooga State, but our SOS in this theoretical new SEC won’t need any marginal lifts by going back to the altar to flirt with a jilted Stillwater, Ames, or Manhattan (as opposed to playing regional teams like Tulane, Rice, or *maybe* SMU).

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I agree with OP.  I want that game the same reason I wanted aggy game back.  There’s history there and I have a lot of family that went there.  Lots of good memories of attending games together in Lubbock and Austin.  

Same here. Lots of family and friends that went to Tech. Regional rivalries are dead, unfortunately. I couldn't care less about playing Florida or Tennessee regularly.

OP the problem with your poll is that any team you choose will turn it into their annual Super Bowl with a Texas Hate Week and steer fries and other stupid shit. They'll try desperately to turn it into a rivalry game that makes or breaks their season. Imagine if we put Nebraska on our schedule after they left for the Big Ten.

OOC games aren't really supposed to be important with some notable of exceptions of Florida State - Florida and South Carolina - Clemson. 

Just now, Victorious1 said:

Based on the OOC past scheduling of the SEC I  just assumed we would have to schedule the littlest sisters of the poors

Then you aren't looking at how Alabama, LSU, and Georgia have been scheduling for a while now. We'll do 1-2 regional Texas/Louisiana teams and 1 marquee OOC each year.