Poll on going to the SEC

tokamak

Poll on going to the SEC  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of Texas moving to the SEC?

• Yes
    • No, prefer to stay in the Big 12
    • No, prefer to go to PAC/B1G instead
    • No, prefer to go independent
    • No, prefer some other option

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

The SEC was and is the most palatable option from the choices listed.

Not worth debating any longer.

We have always been at war with Eastasia!

It's funny how the majority of this board has gone from rightfully calling out the secsecsec for its bullshit to parroting aggy/sec talking points.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

In my preferred reality we'd stay in the Big 12 because it's a viable conference that's had good leadership for decades.

In actual reality going to the SEC to protect our interests is the right move.

19 minutes ago, WBT said:

It's funny how the majority of this board has gone from rightfully calling out the secsecsec for its bullshit to parroting aggy/sec talking points.

Most people here recognize that the SEC bullshit is still bullshit but are willing to benefit from the bullshit instead of fighting against it with both hands tied behind our back.

• Hook 'Em 9

I'm surprised at what a landslide this is. In my recollection there was a much bigger anti-SEC faction here during the last few realignments.

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

In my preferred reality we'd stay in the Big 12 because it's a viable conference that's had good leadership for decades.

In actual reality going to the SEC to protect our interests is the right move.

Most people here recognize that the SEC bullshit is still bullshit but are willing to benefit from the bullshit instead of fighting against it with both hands tied behind our back.

Serious question, what are our interests? Cynical me says that reasons #1-#99 all boil down to "money". It's great that athletics returns money to the university, but I'd argue that revenue ain't much of a problem for us under the current setup. There's a reason why I'm not running the show I suppose. Are we falling behind in facilities for lack of funds? Going to start some new non-revenue sports?

Reason #100 is recruiting. Looks like we'll get a nice boost there but tOSU, Clemson, OU, Oregon, etc do just fine outside of the SEC. Winning and/or dropping big bags (NIL) are more important than conference affiliation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I liked the Pac-16 idea when it was originally discussed about a dozen years ago.  And while we're a better cultural fit there, the fact that the SEC gets the most media love can only help us.  Plus, I've got to say that watching aggy's little brother scar tissue get torn open is priceless, as is their reaction to it in front of the whole country.  And we get the side bonus of renewing acquaintances with Fayettenam.  Fuck it, let's go.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

If NIL weren't a thing, I'd be more against the move, but I don't see we have much choice if we want to stay competitive.

I feel like NIL will even the playing field for us in recruiting whatever conference we are in.  We aren't exactly off to a good start but presumably we'll figure it out and start capitalizing on the fact that our boosters can legally buy recruits now and also take advantage of the fact that we are in a huge metro with only an MLS team as competition for local endorsement deals.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I understand going to the SEC now.

But god damn, I wanted and still wish we were in the Pac 16 from a decade ago.  

I'm the same way. I wanted the Pac 16 back in 2011 and was disappointed when it fell through. But the Pac 10 of 2011 is no more. They rate 4th or 5th in terms of conference strength and Texas + OU going in would be to prop up another fledgling conference and give them something while not giving Texas + OU a lot in return. The SEC move, in today's college football world, makes a lot more sense than it did back in 2011. Sure, things could change and the SEC could start slipping but I honestly don't see how. The SEC has been dominant since VY left for the NFL. Our future is east, not west. And frankly, I'm ready for Texas to just be a passenger that focuses on football. The program needs a reset and the SEC gives us that. It could fail spectacularly but it's a risk worth taking. I'm fully onboard now. I want us to move our future SEC OOC games to be against the Pac 12. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm the same way. I wanted the Pac 16 back in 2011 and was disappointed when it fell through. But the Pac 10 of 2011 is no more. They rate 4th or 5th in terms of conference strength and Texas + OU going in would be to prop up another fledgling conference and give them something while not giving Texas + OU a lot in return. The SEC move, in today's college football world, makes a lot more sense than it did back in 2011. Sure, things could change and the SEC could start slipping but I honestly don't see how. The SEC has been dominant since VY left for the NFL. Our future is east, not west. And frankly, I'm ready for Texas to just be a passenger that focuses on football. The program needs a reset and the SEC gives us that. It could fail spectacularly but it's a risk worth taking. I'm fully onboard now. I want us to move our future SEC OOC games to be against the Pac 12. 

Oh I know.  Had the Pac-16 would have happened, it would have been a great conference.  Our future now is east, but it was west back then and I think Texas, OU and OSU would have really done a lot for the Pac-12.

But alas, Larry Scott fucked it up and we wasted a decade in the Big 12 with 1 washed up coach, 1 incompetent coach and 1 arrogant POS coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesnt matter what I or anyone else here thinks, it had to happen. In reality the Pac is in no better shape than the Big12, and not sure adding Texas and BlowU could kickstart that thing and get it back to the way it used to be. Believe it or not, I find the Big 10 even less palatable than the SEC, but maybe thats because of the arrogance of tOSU and the collection of washed up blue bloods and nobodies they feed on each season. ACC just doesnt fit no matter what sort of mental gymnastics are performed.

SEC it is, and aggys reaction alone makes it worthwhile.

I think the best case would have been a combination of the best parts of the ACC and Big-12 plus Notre Dame.  Maybe a 16-team conference with:

From the Big-12:  UT, OU, OSU, TT, Baylor, KU, WV   (sorry ISU, K-State & TCU)

From the ACC:  FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Virginia

Plus: Notre Dame

That would be a kick-ass football and basketball conference with better academics and cultural fit in my opinion.  And it forces the SEC to expand with weaker schools to give more parity.

Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

If the number I’m seeing are correct (and they may not be for multiple reasons) we (UT/OU) are subsidizing every Big12 school with up to 30 million dollars a year which is $240 million a year.  Over 10 years that’s $2.4 billion.  Do I think our return on investment over the last decade is worth that?  Nope.

Our home schedules suck, aggy vs tcu may have been a wash (even though aggy hate probably sells more tickets) but having to play KU/Kstate/Iowa St hasn’t exactly been sellout/must see TV worthy and the 9th conference game has cost us an OOC game.  On top of that adding the CCG rematch was just dumb in so many ways.

We gave up the unequal distribution for 1st/2nd TV rights for the guaranteed control of 3rd tier rights and as soon as we made the LHN deal all hell broke loose and they started complaining (again) and they put multiple rules/restrictions were put in place where we couldn’t play high school games even though FSSW could have one followed directly by an Oklahoma Network infomercial.  Funny now that their cash cow is leaving they want to go back to the unequal distributions.

We brought TCU in who only complained about us while running a drug ring.  We watched Baylor blame us for their football rape problems.  Tech bitched about us charging their band admission (even though they charged ours earlier that same year) and other complained about where our visitor section was (despite them all having horrible sections for visitors as well).  Multiple Big 12 schools voted us arbitrarily lower in 2008 just out of spite.  The whole conference talks about the horns down penalty and cries about how Texas was ruining the conference without any actual examples other than the LHN (because the $30 million/per school subsidy should have been $32 million).  A Big12 official chest bumped our coach and threw a flag in one of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen in my life and this conference didn’t even think it was worth defending.

I’m all for good old fashion competitive hate and being the evil empire to everyone but this conference but the hand that fed it multiple times.  They blamed Texas and echoed the same message that NU, MU, CU, and aggy spouted on their way out the door time after time and rarely acknowledged the sacrifice we (UT/OU) made by keeping this conference together.  Occasionally we’d see an administrator say something like ISU said "The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [per year in TV revenue]."

but very few ever stopped to think what the blaming Texas for everything that’s wrong with the conference looks from our point of view.

Staying in the Big 12 was never an option, and while I feel for the schools we’re leaving behind, everyone of them could have and should have realized that their collective behaviors were always leading to this outcome, and now they get to deal with the fallout.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the best case would have been a combination of the best parts of the ACC and Big-12.  Maybe a 16-team conference with:

From the Big-12:  UT, OU, OSU, TT, Baylor, KU, WV   (sorry ISU, K-State & TCU)

From the ACC:  FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Louisville

That would be a kick-ass football and basketball conference with better academics and cultural fit in my opinion.  And it forces the SEC to expand with weaker schools to give more parity.

No offense, dude, but that's ass. Unless your goal was to build a basketball conference--which is nice, but a distant second to the dollars & power of football--that's the kind of conference that is all sizzle, no steak. It wouldn't last until the next reshuffling.

And fuck anyone wanting to bring Baylor along for any reason. 

• Hook 'Em 3

And fuck anyone wanting to bring Baylor along for any reason. 

Fair.

Admittedly, I like basketball just about as much as football (maybe more). A conference with UT, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Notre Dame, OU, OSU, etc would be awesome.

But you are correct. The move to the SEC is probably better than what I proposed.  I just never have liked the SEC.

• Like 1

I’ve never been a fan of conference pride or passionately rooting for your conference mate (or even) rival in the championship game. I’ll cringe if I see any Texas fan chant SEC! (Except for mocking aggy).

That being said, I’m glad to see Texas headed to a conference that is incredibly passionate about football. I’m glad to see our one recruiting weakness be eliminated. Lastly, I’ve been very entertained by seeing aggy embarrass themselves in front of the nation. 

This is the right thing for bother the SEC and Texas.

I don’t care about the financial aspects of it. No one is cutting me a check. I don’t really care about the recruiting aspect of it except that I want the teams to have good players. Whatever coaches are selling on the recruiting trail seems like someone else’s problem. I also don’t put much stock into the academic reputation of sports conferences unless we’re joining the Ivy League.

When it comes to college sports, I just want to watch more big games. There will definitely be more big football and baseball matchups. I’ll miss the excitement of Texas/Kansas basketball though. Reviving two old rivalries will be fun too, even if they won’t be the marquee matchups.

On the whole, this seems like a path to more fun, which seems to be the point to me.

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

I'm surprised at what a landslide this is. In my recollection there was a much bigger anti-SEC faction here during the last few realignments.

Serious question, what are our interests? Cynical me says that reasons #1-#99 all boil down to "money". It's great that athletics returns money to the university, but I'd argue that revenue ain't much of a problem for us under the current setup. There's a reason why I'm not running the show I suppose. Are we falling behind in facilities for lack of funds? Going to start some new non-revenue sports?

Reason #100 is recruiting. Looks like we'll get a nice boost there but tOSU, Clemson, OU, Oregon, etc do just fine outside of the SEC. Winning and/or dropping big bags (NIL) are more important than conference affiliation.

Hardly anybody wants the boring 10 + 4.  And the Pac 12 is at the bottom of the P5 in attendance, top finishes, dollars and TV ratings.  It just doesn't make dollars and cents.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

After all the whining is done and everyone’s assets are exposed for their true value, at the end of the day this is obviously good for Texas, The University of.  

I feel like some people don't understand that Texas athletics makes money for the university. More money for Texas athletics = more money for Texas. 

Texas to the SEC is nothing but positive. And I didn't go to Texas and have a passing interest in their non-revenue sports and the academic side of things. 

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, Mole said:

I don’t care about the financial aspects of it. No one is cutting me a check. I don’t really care about the recruiting aspect of it except that I want the teams to have good players. Whatever coaches are selling on the recruiting trail seems like someone else’s problem. I also don’t put much stock into the academic reputation of sports conferences unless we’re joining the Ivy League.

When it comes to college sports, I just want to watch more big games. There will definitely be more big football and baseball matchups. I’ll miss the excitement of Texas/Kansas basketball though. Reviving two old rivalries will be fun too, even if they won’t be the marquee matchups.

On the whole, this seems like a path to more fun, which seems to be the point to me.

Eric Musselman v. Chris Beard could be the beginning of a great competitive rivalry.  Screw Carolina v. Duke.

I wanted Texas in the Pac at one time for purely selfish reasons, as I live out on the west coast and would love to see the Longhorns come out here from time to time.  But I think the move to the SEC now makes perfect sense, and I am 100% behind it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, WBT said:

The secsecsec stuff may be bullshit, but it beats the lame ass Big 12 zombie shit we've been standing hip deep in for a decade.

I think SEC teams, not Alabama, may be concerned that Texas/OU joining  will show that they are not one step away from being Alabama but really are one step away from being Kansas. That the SEC really isn’t as awesome and powerful as they want everyone to think they are. I’m looking at you Aggy!

I like the move just because it gets us out of the Big 12. Fuck the Big 12 and this cracker jack conference. 

But I would not have minded going to the Pac-12, either. That seemed to be a viable option in 2010 but we stayed. And Colorado left. I know the time zone difference and travel for non football sports could have been brutal. But I think back then, it was the whole Big 12 was supposed to disband and a lot of the Big 12 would have moved there and we would have been in the same division. So we are in a new conference but playing the same teams most years as the Big 12.

Hell no to the Big 10, though.

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just hope none of our fans chant that SEC bullshit unless it's mocking them. God that will suck. 

I can't see any of our fans doing this. We aren't gomer pyle aggy. This conference will not define us like it does them. We have our own identity we bring no matter the conference. SWC, Big 12, SEC. It won't matter. It's Texas and fuck the rest. We aren't going to be rooting for aggy, Bama, LSU, etc in bowl games to prop us up. We are above that. I get we have not won shit in a decade but we are well above conference pride. Any fan who falls into this should be mocked and ridiculed. 

The biggest question is now does aggy root for us and OU for their SECSEC pride? Their SEC pride trumps their own identity (because they don't have one and no success in anything). 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 1