Final Big 12 road trips

TKthunder2

40 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Oct 2 @ TCU

Oct 30 @ Baylor

Nov 6 @ Iowa State

Nov 20 @ West Virginia

Other than West Virginia (I went 2 years ago) I think I’ll be going to all of these.  Anyone else?

Oct 30 @ Baylor:

6719019D-B1E9-4A5F-8B78-1B5C8EBF5027.gif.b6428a906afd875c8e17dfbed9bcf183.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

If you want to see some shit, go to the basketball game vs Tech in Lubbock this year.  Normally hostile fanbase + Chris Beard return game + leaving Tech on their ass in conference realignment = love.

You forgot "+22 point ass whipping."

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

If you want to see some shit, go to the basketball game vs Tech in Lubbock this year.  Normally hostile fanbase + Chris Beard return game + leaving Tech on their ass in conference realignment = love.

I'm honestly worried about player and staff safety for that game, and I expect that Texas will somehow magically lose that game due to officiating throughout the game. Just bad call after bad call and numerous players getting into foul trouble early.

• Like 1

WVU and ISU fans will be fine towards us.  Been to both those stadiums and had a blast.  Baylor is the one that's gonna get the most jammed up about us.  

I just realized I've been to every single Big XII school (even the previous members) except Missouri (Columbia sucks, no reason to ever go), Oklahoma (for obvious reasons), and TCU.  Wow, we have family in Fort Worth, do some business in Fort Worth, driven through the campus, but I've never seen a football game there.  Unless one of my kids goes there someday, I guess I'll never see a game there.  Oh well.  How did I miss TCU with those cheerleader uniforms?  

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Planning to go to Morgantown.  Bummed I'll never make the Ames trip, but I'm sure I'll forget about it the first time I go to Oxford.

Ames is home to the Tip Top Lounge. It's the #1 bar in the Big12. I've done extensive research.

The Grove at Ole Miss was the most overrated experience ever. Stupid crowded. Seemed more like a refugee camp than a tailgate party. Of course I have only one data point there. Maybe it's different when (non-conference) Texas isn't on the schedule

Also, it was crazy being in Oxford during an election year. More than one Ole Miss fan totally freaked out when they found out I was voting for Obama. Ran into Rod Babers (who went to my high school) who was freaking out himself about the cultural BizzaroWorld we found ourselves in. 🙂

If you want a road trip to look forward to, it's Baton Rouge. I went once on a UT off week to watch former Longhorn QB Jevan Sneed and Ole Miss kick LSU's ass. SO. MUCH. FUN.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

Random question, what airports does southwest fly into for Morgantown and Ames?

We flew into Des Moines on SWA and bussed it to Ames.  For WVU, we flew into Pittsburgh.  The drive to Ames was easy and quick but as Al-4-ISU will tell you, the path of least resistance won't take you through the town, just get off the highway and you're right in the football stadium parking lot.  We were just doing an up and back trip for that night game back in '13 or '14.  We didn't get to see any of the little college town which is supposed to be cool so if you're coming up from Des Moines, maybe get off a few exits early and work your way towards the stadium from the west instead of from the east.  

Pittsburgh to Morgantown was a really pretty drive. I can't remember why but our SWA flight was horribly delayed coming home, we didn't get back to Austin until early Sunday morning and we left the moment the noon game was over.  There's really nothing to see in Morgantown except the game, no offense to a really nice and hospitable group of folks.  So if you're going, consider staying somewhere out in the wonderful natural splendor of the area (gotta be lots of VRBO cabins and shit), or back in Pittsburgh which is a great city to make a weekend of.  

I hate to say it, but our fans and WVU fans are going to be absolute dicks to anything in orange.  Not condoning it, but it's just human nature.  Not like everyone or even a majority will act this way, but if 10% of our fans do that, it would be hard for anyone visiting not to encounter it.

If I were a UT fan, I'd either not go, or just wear something not school colored.  I mean, you guys don't want to be in a conference with us anyways.  What's the point, right?  We're just worthless out of the way backwaters that don't deserve to be subsidized by the University of Texas, and really don't deserve to be part of college sports.  Save your travels for people and places worth your time.

Only way it isn't a complete shit show is if a palatable new conference home for us or them has been announced by then.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate to say it, but our fans and WVU fans are going to be absolute dicks to anything in orange.  Not condoning it, but it's just human nature.  Not like everyone or even a majority will act this way, but if 10% of our fans do that, it would be hard for anyone visiting not to encounter it.

If I were a UT fan, I'd either not go, or just wear something not school colored.  I mean, you guys don't want to be in a conference with us anyways.  What's the point, right?  We're just worthless out of the way backwaters that don't deserve to be subsidized by the University of Texas, and really don't deserve to be part of college sports.  Save your travels for people and places worth your time.

Only way it isn't a complete shit show is if a palatable new conference home for us or them has been announced by then.

I've been to Arkansas games in Fayettenam, decked out in Texas gear; I can handle ISU and WVU. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Who ordered the melodrama?

What did you think would happen?

I guess if Twitter is any indication, y'all expected a pat on the back and a "go get 'em tiger!" type response.  Again, I'm not justifying the shittiness people will likely display at these games, but if you think it's going to be some kind of congratulatory send off, you're nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bernard said:

The Grove at Ole Miss was the most overrated experience ever. Stupid crowded. Seemed more like a refugee camp than a tailgate party. Of course I have only one data point there. Maybe it's different when (non-conference) Texas isn't on the schedule

agreed. a million tailgates packed into one place, all with the exact same setup - a tent, a shitload of zaxby's chicken fingers, and a candelabra on the table to make it look fancy. it took me a few minutes to realize that there were no grills or smokers, presumably because of the densely packed area surrounded by trees.

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What did you think would happen?

I guess if Twitter is any indication, y'all expected a pat on the back and a "go get 'em tiger!" type response.  Again, I'm not justifying the shittiness people will likely display at these games, but if you think it's going to be some kind of congratulatory send off, you're nuts.

TBH I understand the bitterness.  I'd be that way too if I were an ISU booster.  I feel the most sorry for ISU, TT, and actually KState...those are programs that were trying to get it done but their geography and circumstances of alumni base aren't big enough to support what their most ardent fans want.  Texas is doing what's right for Texas, but that will screw some of these smaller programs that we have formed some fun series with.  I don't blame them for feeling screwed, except for Baylor, fuck those guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

... I mean, you guys don't want to be in a conference with us anyways.  What's the point, right?  We're just worthless out of the way backwaters that don't deserve to be subsidized by the University of Texas, and really don't deserve to be part of college sports.  Save your travels for people and places worth your time.

No, man.  I doubt ISU came to mind when the final decision was being made.  This contradicts your point that we don't want to conference with you.  Furthermore, I think the general view of ISU is higher than you think. 

TCU and Baylor are pretty worthless and sure KSU has some backwaters, but there just is a higher level of respect for ISU than you probably feel right now.  This too shall pass.      

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

TBH I understand the bitterness.  I'd be that way too if I were an ISU booster.  I feel the most sorry for ISU, TT, and actually KState...those are programs that were trying to get it done but their geography and circumstances of alumni base aren't big enough to support what their most ardent fans want.  Texas is doing what's right for Texas, but that will screw some of these smaller programs that we have formed some fun series with.  I don't blame them for feeling screwed, except for Baylor, fuck those guys.

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

No, man.  I doubt ISU came to mind when the final decision was being made.  This contradicts your point that we don't want to conference with you.  Furthermore, I think the general view of ISU is higher than you think. 

TCU and Baylor are pretty worthless and sure KSU has some backwaters, but there just is a higher level of respect for ISU than you probably feel right now.  This too shall pass.      

What really irks our fanbase is wondering why we're being subjected to this and Purdue isn't?  Why does Texas (and via association OU) feel that being the richest program in the game, and having top 10 recruiting year in and year out isn't enough so they have to find MORE money by joining the SEC?  Why doesn't Ohio State or Michigan think this way?  Clemson and Florida State?  USC and Oregon?  They would all undoubtedly take the SEC into the next stratosphere financially by joining.  But they (seemingly for now) value something different, and the schools associated with them benefit greatly as a result.  

It's not a shot at you guys as fans, it's just absolutely maddening.  This situation of a couple schools determining the bulk of the value is present in every single conference (although the SEC is less so) but we're the only ones that have to suffer for it.  There are so many less deserving schools that don't have to worry about anything because the schools that subsidize them don't view it as a problem, even though it's no different than what Texas and OU provided the Big 12.

Maybe this all sorts out fine between now and then and it's a "no harm no foul" type scenario, but this seems like something that might drag out over a year or two.  And there will be a lot of anger towards the University of Texas that will be undeservedly projected upon UT fans that had nothing to do with this should they attend road games at the affected schools in the mean time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What really irks our fanbase is wondering why we're being subjected to this and Purdue isn't?  Why does Texas (and via association OU) feel that being the richest program in the game, and having top 10 recruiting year in and year out isn't enough so they have to find MORE money by joining the SEC?  Why doesn't Ohio State or Michigan think this way?  Clemson and Florida State?  USC and Oregon?  They would all undoubtedly take the SEC into the next stratosphere financially by joining.  But they (seemingly for now) value something different, and the schools associated with them benefit greatly as a result.  

Not buying it.  The first and most logical response to your argument is that UM and OSU already make the most money.  B12 TX/OU were a distant third. That will never sit well with any school that strives to be at the top especially that arguably is more valuable than a UM.  

Furthermore, you really don't know that UM and OSU aren't thinking as you detest.  Someone else posted another article on another thread that there was more UM and OSU smoke to the SEC than Texas. 

Values has little to do with it.  Michigan men molest people also.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Not buying it.  The first and most logical response to your argument is that UM and OSU already make the most money.  B12 TX/OU were a distant third. That will never sit well with any school that strives to be at the top especially that arguably is more valuable than a UM.  

Furthermore, you really don't know that UM and OSU aren't thinking as you detest.  Someone else posted another article on another thread that there was more UM and OSU smoke to the SEC than Texas. 

Values has little to do with it.  Michigan men molest people also.  

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

If Michigan and Ohio State pull the rug out from the Big 10, it would definitely soothe the rage among the current Big 12 members.  Right now we all feel singled out just because our former partners have what appears to be a unique view point on all of this.

In all honesty, if all the blue bloods just form their own little Prestige Worldwide 15-20 school club and kick everyone else out, the fans of everyone else would probably love it in 5 years.  Right now, we don't know that's the case.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I would be more worried about being around those crazies in WV than some mild mannered midwesterners in Ames.

Yeah, our fans (probably) aren't going to assault anyone.  They're just going to be very uncordial.  I could see punches being thrown in Morgantown - unless they get an ACC invite between now and then.  Then you probably will get the conquering hero treatment that Twitter wants.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's just business, man. Not a one of us has anything to do with the decision. No need to be in your feelings about it.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, our fans (probably) aren't going to assault anyone.  They're just going to be very uncordial.  I could see punches being thrown in Morgantown - unless they get an ACC invite between now and then.  Then you probably will get the conquering hero treatment that Twitter wants.

People in Lubbock are going to be out for blood, which is not an endorsement of this behavior - nor would I personally want to be involved with the bloodletting.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It's just business, man. Not a one of us has anything to do with the decision. No need to be in your feelings about it.

If it's not OK for ISU, Tech, OSU, etc., fans to be disappointed or upset by this, why is it OK for UT fans to be happy about it?  It's just business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

If it's not OK for ISU, Tech, OSU, etc., fans to be disappointed or upset by this, why is it OK for UT fans to be happy about it?  It's just business.

I expect people to be disappointed. I don't expect emoting on another school's fansite. 

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Dude, it's not just business.  It's just business to Texas  Texas had nothing to lose and millions of point-of-diminished-returns $ to gain. 

This is extremely personal for us.  You of all people should know that.  This attitude that the rest of the schools should just be fine with this is mind blowing.  Of the remaining 8, 6 have very passionate fanbases.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I expect people to be disappointed. I don't expect emoting on another school's fansite. 

That's fair.  I've been trying to stay away.  Have, for the most part until I remembered responding to someone's thread about Ames and figured it would be best to caution them not to go through with it.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dude, it's not just business.  It's just business to Texas  Texas had nothing to lose and millions of  to gain. 

This is extremely personal for us.  You of all people should know that.  This attitude that the rest of the schools should just be fine with this is mind blowing.  Of the remaining 8, 6 have very passionate fanbases.

I get it. I have a house in western Iowa. This effs up my plans to have friends up for the Iowa State game every other year. Nebraska leaving the conference effed up thoughts of doing similar for our games with them.

The game is constantly changing, and schools ultimately have to make the moves that are best for them. Maybe if we hadn't been mediocre for a decade this wouldn't be happening now, but all the schools upset about it now sure enjoyed mocking us while we struggled. This was going to happen eventually regardless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

You didn't mean that when you said, "I don't expect emoting on another school's fansite"? My apologies, but I'm not sure how else to read that.

I said I didn't expect it. I didn't say you couldn't cry.

I have nothing against Texas Tech or Iowa State or Kansas State or Kansas. I have never said anything negative to fans of those schools. You've been good conference partners, and I would rather share a conference with your schools than Texas A&M, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU, Missouri, Florida, et al. We worked to keep the Big12 together a decade ago, but it obviously wasn't going to last forever, and we really aren't the drivers of that.

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's fair.  I've been trying to stay away.  Have, for the most part until I remembered responding to someone's thread about Ames and figured it would be best to caution them not to go through with it.

We’ve been in hostile territory plenty.  Iowa State is the one of the only Big12 schools I haven’t visited so I’m coming.  It’s late in the year so we’ll probably all be in coats anyways, so I’ll just have to bring something that says I’m from Texas that can also double as a weapon in case I need to defend myself…

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think i understand your points but help fill in the gaps, if i don't, as to why its personal.  Is it just that TX/ou left the conference for more money or is it that your school stands to be negatively impacted by the loss of money?  Serious question.

You keep stating the first but i think it is more the latter. 

If the first, then i would argue that good partners would have treated TX and OU more fairly, as defined by them.  In other words not equal revenue sharing which occurred but not to the degree that was needed.  More than that Fox refusing to up/renew the contract in May certainly made it glaringly apparent that TX/ou were no longer in the same category as UM/OSU in B10 or Bama/SEC only because of the company they keep, irate 8.  So what does one do when your job is to compete at the highest levels?

If the latter than please note that Fox now values the remaining 8 tv deal worth 9million per school.  Quck math says 39-9= 30 m *8 240 million.  So Texas and OU provided to the other 8 schools like ISU 300 million richer over the last ten years.  Also Baylor, TCU etc....   

So i ask again.  Are you mad that we left you behind for more money or that you no longer participate in what TX/ou afforded you?  I think i know the answer.  We still have to share equally in the SEC.  I think it would have been wise for the 8 to be more pragmatic years agao.  It may have helped them, maybe not.    

Edited by RollLeft

30 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I think i understand your points but help fill in the gaps, if i don't, as to why its personal.  Is it just that TX/ou left the conference for more money or is it that your school stands to be negatively impacted by the loss of money?  Serious question.

You keep stating the first but i think it is more the latter. 

If the first, then i would argue that good partners would have treated TX and OU more fairly, as defined by them.  In other words not equal revenue sharing which occurred but not to the degree that was needed.  More than that Fox refusing to up/renew the contract in May certainly made it glaringly apparent that TX/ou were no longer in the same category as UM/OSU in B10 or Bama/SEC only because of the company they keep, irate 8.  So what does one do when your job is to compete at the highest levels?

If the latter than please note that Fox now values the remaining 8 tv deal worth 9million per school.  Quck math says 39-9= 30 m *8 240 million.  So Texas and OU provided to the other 8 schools like ISU 300 million richer over the last ten years.  Also Baylor, TCU etc....   

So i ask again.  Are you mad that we left you behind for more money or that you no longer participate in what TX/ou afforded you?  I think i know the answer.  We still have to share equally in the SEC.  I think it would have been wise for the 8 to be more pragmatic years agao.  It may have helped them, maybe not.    

It's the opportunity to participate at the main level of the sport, if that wasn't clear.

At the end of the day, if we're playing somewhere that can realistically make the playoff, we're all pretty well fine with that.  I'm not bothered by schools who are worth more making more.  I'm bothered that we might be arbitrarily getting tossed off the island while the Wake Forests and Boston Colleges and Purdues of the world sleep tight.  There are all these schools and fanbases that don't fucking care, and don't fucking show up, and don't fucking matter, and they're all going to be fucking fine because the more important schools they've partnered with are fine with the arrangement.

It doesn't bother me one bit that Texas and OU make more money than Iowa State and Kansas.  They should.  It bothers me that a private school with 6,000 students and a 31,000 seat stadium that hasn't had a Top 25 finish in over a decade has no concern about having a seat at the table while a large public university with a pre-season top 10 football team, a 62,000 seat stadium, and AAU academics is sweating in the corner.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2