The census

blackmarketbaby

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m fascinated to see what Texas turns up in their demographics. 

Who is running the count?  Texas will turn out to be all white men. Dallas and Houston have 20,000 people each while Jacksonville, Livingston, College Station, etc have 5 million each. 

I know it's required by the Constitution and all, but just pay the Googles to do it. They've got the goods on every human on the planet. They could crank out the data in a weekend anyway you like.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

It was a great job. Had a certain Austin, clothing-optional apartment complex on my route. Yeah, a good job.

I'll assume that your connection was cut off halfway through your post, as we're missing the most important part of the story here.

4 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I tell them I am a free inhabitant, and I am none of their business.

I will do you one better than that... I will tell the Census takers that I am a free range human of the southwest...

1 hour ago, Whitman said:

Same here for West Virginia.  Will we be 96 or 95% white.  Cletus isn't going to be happy.

LOL.  So at 90%, does Cletus feel like the minorities would have taken over?

Census Bureau was off on their prediction of how fast Texas would become a minority-majority state - I think it happened about 5 years before they predicted it.  With whites making up less than 45% of Texans,  I'm curious to see what the trends are as far as ages and how many will be hitting 18 within the decade - that's where the GOP needs to be shitting itself over.

• 1 year later...

I am very afraid.  Don’t like any gubment employees near my house cause I know they just want to take away my 58 assault rifles equipped with 3000 round magazines and silencers which I need for self protection.  Rush told me Obummer and Hillary would be coming after my precious babies and now, like clockwork, here they come.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 9:15 PM, atomheartbevo said:

LOL.  So at 90%, does Cletus feel like the minorities would have taken over?

Census Bureau was off on their prediction of how fast Texas would become a minority-majority state - I think it happened about 5 years before they predicted it.  With whites making up less than 45% of Texans,  I'm curious to see what the trends are as far as ages and how many will be hitting 18 within the decade - that's where the GOP needs to be shitting itself over.

In the 2017-2018 school year in Texas students were 52% Latino, 12% AA, and 27% white.

About 200,000 Latinos and 50,000 African Americans turn 18 every year in Texas.

And the ratio of Latinos to whites that die every year is roughly the opposite.

Edited by RayDog

• 9 months later...

I live in a garage apartment behind the big house, I got two. One for my address (1234 st rear) and another for (1234 st back). Filled out the first, didnt the second. Am I going to prison? 

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Man, sometimes it sucks to be Gen X. Screwed over by Boomers and probably going to be death paneled by Millennials. Hope my Gen Z kiddos can fight the good fight.

Work on your vocal fry and they'll still value your life.

I figure any day now Trump will either tweet out something disparaging the census or claiming that the Democrats are using the census to get more power, or retweet some Q Anon account telling people not to do the census because it's how they track you for the deportations or whatever.

Thank god our racist ass President didn’t get to include his racist ass census question.

i say this as an adult white male. Illegals don’t count towards the census count, but they should be counted in regards to congressional representation. The constitution clearly states “ all persons”. Back then, the constitution meant slaves count. Now a days, it means illegals count.

Be glad the nazi in chief won’t be given info as to where all the illegals live. He was going to try and draw hardcore gerrymanders to fuck over the democrats. Republicans already gerrymander the fuck out of us in most states anyway. Assholes.

idiot conservatives can’t pick and choose what they want to count and not count. 

Edited by Voldemort86

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 1:43 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Man, sometimes it sucks to be Gen X. Screwed over by Boomers and probably going to be death paneled by Millennials. Hope my Gen Z kiddos can fight the good fight.

Yes, nothing is y'all's fault, ever.

"I take no responsibility" - President Trump............. ................... .......................... ........................... ............................... ................ .............. ............................................. ........................................................................................................................................................................and Gen X'ers who basically voted in lockstep with Boomers most of their lives.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Came out today that the white non-hispanic population went down for the first time in however long.  I'm sure this will go over well in maga world.

It's never happened before. Every single bit of the nation's population increase was due to growth among non-Anglo population groups. While we didn't have hard data prior to the Census, I think MAGA World has been feeling it viscerally...hence the GQP losing its collective mind the past few years. 

I know this has been said many times before, but it wasn't economic anxiety that caused people to vote for Trump. It was all motivated by fear of becoming a minority to the Other.

Edit: They've created a few basic interactive maps from the new data. As more detailed stuff is release, it's going to be fascinating to see all the changes. Zoom in to see county-level data.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's never happened before. Every single bit of the nation's population increase was due to growth among non-Anglo population groups. While we didn't have hard data prior to the Census, I think MAGA World has been feeling it viscerally...hence the GQP losing its collective mind the past few years. 

I know this has been said many times before, but it wasn't economic anxiety that caused people to vote for Trump. It was all motivated by fear of becoming a minority to the Other.

Edit: They've created a few basic interactive maps from the new data. As more detailed stuff is release, it's going to be fascinating to see all the changes. Zoom in to see county-level data.

If you've spent 10 minutes in any major city, you'd realize that whites are a plurality and have been for decades.  The Trumpkins live in small and mid sized towns so they've never realized it until very recently, hence the MAGA meltdown.

55 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If you've spent 10 minutes in any major city, you'd realize that whites are a plurality and have been for decades.  The Trumpkins live in small and mid sized towns so they've never realized it until very recently, hence the MAGA meltdown.

Depends on the town. I'd like to see the numbers for Erath County over the last 50. Comanche was a sundown town. But, Brownwood was diverse. Decatur used to be 2500 maybe. Wise Co is growing but how and who?

One of you numbers people go crunch us up something. 

Erath Co absolutely has to have Latino population to survive. Dairies demand it. That was the puzzling part of it. The demand for cheap labor squelched enforcement for years. But, that changed. At least in attitude. Turd blossom could see that there was a naturally conservative Latino world that Ds weren't reaching. That changed with Obama and Trump. We've gone over this many times in here. 

Does Abbott have the same draw to South Texas? Maybe. Trump made inroads but I don't know if others can get the same results.

Anyhow, I agree that fear of a brown planet is real.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Depends on the town. I'd like to see the numbers for Erath County over the last 50. Comanche was a sundown town. But, Brownwood was diverse. Decatur used to be 2500 maybe. Wise Co is growing but how and who?

One of you numbers people go crunch us up something. 

Erath Co absolutely has to have Latino population to survive. Dairies demand it. That was the puzzling part of it. The demand for cheap labor squelched enforcement for years. But, that changed. At least in attitude. Turd blossom could see that there was a naturally conservative Latino world that Ds weren't reaching. That changed with Obama and Trump. We've gone over this many times in here. 

Does Abbott have the same draw to South Texas? Maybe. Trump made inroads but I don't know if others can get the same results.

Anyhow, I agree that fear of a brown planet is real.

Remember that every POTUS since Clinton had better Hispanic numbers in their second campaign than their first.  Incumbency advantage + COVID lockdown concerns 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Remember that every POTUS since Clinton had better Hispanic numbers in their second campaign than their first.  Incumbency advantage + COVID lockdown concerns 

The Covid part of it did not help AT ALL. Normal campaigning was verboten or at least frowned upon and the Ds were punished for doing the right thing. People want to see you in the flesh.

Redistricting is gonna be soooo much fun.

13 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The Covid part of it did not help AT ALL. Normal campaigning was verboten or at least frowned upon and the Ds were punished for doing the right thing. People want to see you in the flesh.

Redistricting is gonna be soooo much fun.

I'd go ahead and also speculate that employment in O&G was also a thing. Look no further than some of those Hispanic majority counties in the Permian Basin where Trump got 80 percent of the vote last Fall.

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'd go ahead and also speculate that employment in O&G was also a thing. Look no further than some of those Hispanic majority counties in the Permian Basin where Trump got 80 percent of the vote last Fall.

There was a lot of discussion about the Latino vote in Texas here and elsewhere. I can't say there's any one single driving force. It's a lot like a mural. Shit happening all over the picture. I don't think there's any one thing, maybe we could narrow it down to half a dozen good solid reasons, but it's a moving target. 

They are damn sure not monolithic. Yet, that's how the Rs treat brown people. Simultaneously stealing jobs and too lazy to work so they get welfare.

What the hell do I know?

Big dumb gringo

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Came out today that the white non-hispanic population went down for the first time in however long.  I'm sure this will go over well in maga world.

the hispanic population was vastly under counted. hopefully they register to vote 

Notable. The white, Asian and Black categories include individuals who indicated they were not Hispanic and selected only one race on the 2020 census. The Hispanic category includes individuals of any race.Source: U.S. Census Bureau. Credit: Jason Kao^

So, are these numbers from the census work that Trump hamstrung while in office to cook the numbers or was it fixed in time by the Biden administration? If these are the suppressed minority counts that Trump was trying to achieve, Texas is already a minority majority state.

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

So, are these numbers from the census work that Trump hamstrung while in office to cook the numbers or was it fixed in time by the Biden administration? If these are the suppressed minority counts that Trump was trying to achieve, Texas is already a minority majority state.

I'm not sure I but that the throttling had a big impact, because 1.) The Trump admin sucked at everything and probably wasn't very good at actually gumming up the Census; 2.) Local organizations and Democratic groups put more resources into getting people to participate than normal, helping  reach people the bureau couldn't, and 3.) The actual proportions are pretty well in line with estimates/trend lines.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

This is a good read on what happened behind the scenes and features an obscure professor from Tarleton with a weird chip on his shoulder:

How the Census Bureau Stood Up to Donald Trump’s Meddling

WASHINGTON — There were 10 days left in the Trump presidency. And John Abowd and Tori Velkoff had a decision to make.

Six months earlier, in July 2020, President Donald Trump had ordered the Census Bureau, where they were senior officials, to produce a count of every unauthorized immigrant in the nation, separate from the 2020 census count that was well underway. The Trump administration’s goal was to strip those immigrants from the population count used to divvy up House seats among the states.

The move promised to benefit Republicans by sapping electoral strength from Democratic-leaning areas and handing more voting power to older, white and most likely more conservative populations.

Mr. Abowd, the bureau’s chief scientist, and Ms. Velkoff, its chief demographer, were obligated by law to carry out the president’s orders. They’d assigned some of their top experts to produce an immigrant count from billions of government records. Mr. Trump had also inserted four political appointees into the bureau’s top ranks since June, in no small part to ensure that the numbers were delivered.

But despite months of work, the results, in Mr. Abowd’s and Ms. Velkoff’s view, fell far short of the bureau’s standards for accuracy. Now the agency’s director, Steven Dillingham, was demanding the tallies — accurate or not — before the president left office.

Mr. Abowd and Ms. Velkoff went to Ron Jarmin, the deputy director. The trio, who had more than 75 years of experience in the bureau among them, agreed on a response: They would reject the demand unless they could explain in a technical report why the numbers were useless. (In an interview this month, Mr. Dillingham said that he was merely asking for an assessment of the immigrant tabulations, with whatever caveats were necessary. “I said, look over that data and see if any of it is ready,” he said.)

Mr. Jarmin then sent a message to three other Census Bureau experts whom he had assigned to assist the political appointees. Stop whatever you’re doing, it said. Any future orders will come from me.

That internal struggle, which has not been previously reported, was the breaking point in a battle with the Trump administration over political interference in the census. By now, tales of Trump appointees disrupting, or outright corrupting, the work of federal agencies are familiar. But in this case, the meddling threatened not just to change the allocation of federal power, but also to skew the distribution of trillions of federal tax dollars.

It was not a revolt or some sort of deep-state resistance that thwarted that effort. Instead, a slice of the career bureaucracy that keeps the federal government running, day in and day out, stood up for what it saw as the core function of the Census Bureau — to produce the gold standard for data about the nation’s population.

“We tried to do what we thought was statistically sound and valid,” Ms. Velkoff said in an interview in June. “If we didn’t have a statistically sound and valid methodology, then we pushed back.”

The episode pitting career officials against political appointees raises an important question: Should the Census Bureau be better protected from such political interference in the future?

The White House had initially sought to identify unauthorized immigrants by adding a question about citizenship to the census form itself. Mr. Abowd had warned that doing so would harm the quality of the count. In focus groups the bureau conducted, people in various ethic groups expressed an “unprecedented” level of concern about giving the government identifying information, according to a 2017 report on the research. Nonetheless, Wilbur Ross, the secretary of the Commerce Department, which includes the Census Bureau, ordered the agency to go ahead with the citizenship question.

But in June 2019, the Supreme Court rejected Mr. Ross’s proffered rationale — that adding the citizenship question was necessary to better enforce the Voting Rights Act — calling it “contrived.”

With that avenue closed, the administration immediately ordered the Census Bureau to gather data on unauthorized immigrants by combing through records of some 20 federal agencies.

Mr. Abowd, Ms. Velkoff and their colleagues spent the next year collecting immigrant data from the administrative records. Then in July 2020, Mr. Trump ordered the data to be used to remove unauthorized immigrants from the coming census totals that would reapportion the House for the next decade. But to segregate unauthorized immigrants from the census totals for each state, there first had to be a census.

And that was a problem. In the summer of 2020, the bureau faced the huge challenge of counting every household in the midst of a pandemic. Despite that, Mr. Ross ordered the agency to finish the count by Sept. 30 and to produce the politically crucial population figures for apportioning House seats among the states by Dec. 31. The deadlines ensured the census totals would be delivered to Mr. Trump whether or not he won the November election.

Internally, census officials were aghast. Anyone who thought the agency could meet the December deadline, the day-to-day leader of the census, Timothy Olson, wrote to Mr. Jarmin and other senior census officials, “has either a mental deficiency or a political motivation.”

But the anti-immigrant forces within Mr. Trump’s administration kept the pressure on, creating four new political jobs in the bureau’s top ranks — an unprecedented step — beginning in June 2020.

Senior bureau officials gave them offices. They also quietly ordered that the appointees be given only rounded numbers — estimates, which could not be labeled official for political or other reasons.

The first of the new political appointees was Nathaniel Cogley, a political-science professor at a state university in rural Texas who has specialized in African studies. He was soon joined by the other three, and they reported weekly to an aide to Mark Meadows, Mr. Trump’s chief of staff.

Mr. Cogley began attacking the bureau’s effort to count a small share of known households that evade the best efforts of census takers. In these cases — 1.2 million people in 2010, but probably many more in pandemic-scarred 2020 — the bureau has long used a statistical method called imputation, looking at nearby households to make educated guesses about who lives in the places the census field operation missed.

Some of those households are occupied by right-leaning libertarians who are deeply suspicious of the government. But many are low-income families, members of minorities and unauthorized immigrants, who expand the count for urban areas and thus increase representation for traditional Democratic strongholds.

“If you leave out imputations, you leave out African Americans, Hispanics and other hard-to-count people,” Kimball Brace, a demographer and president of a consulting firm that does work on redistricting, said in an interview. Mr. Cogley called him to ask for evidence that imputation was statistically unsound. “I saw Cogley’s view as totally a way of justifying how the Republicans come out on this,” Mr. Brace said. (Mr. Cogley did not respond to calls, texts and emails asking for comment.)

Mr. Ross had the power to order the bureau to do as Mr. Cogley wished. But after listening to dueling presentations, he allowed the imputation work to continue — handing the career officials a victory on one of their most important concerns. (Mr. Ross declined to comment on the record.)

In early November, when Joe Biden won the presidential election, the 10-week clock for Mr. Trump’s time in office began to tick with new urgency. There would be no second term. Mr. Abowd, Ms. Velkoff and their colleagues raced to meet the Dec. 31 deadline. But the bureau hit a major technical snag: The pandemic had scrambled the locations of tens of millions of people, like college students and agricultural workers, who should have been counted where they studied or worked but instead lived elsewhere temporarily because of the coronavirus.

Putting them in their proper place would take time. In late November, census officials told Mr. Dillingham, the bureau’s director, that they could not meet the Dec. 31 deadline and maintain the agency’s standards for accuracy.

Mr. Cogley and other political appointees pressed for shortcuts to speed ahead, going so far as to suggest commandeering computers from other agencies to accelerate data processing, an idea the bureau dismissed as impractical. But the political appointees and the White House never answered a basic question about the numbers they most wanted: What definition of “unauthorized immigrant” should the bureau use? Did it include people contesting their deportation in court? Or children whose birthplace was unclear? Or immigrants whose green cards were being processed?

In December, the White House tried one last tack: If census experts could not reliably say who should be removed from the state-by-state apportionment totals because they were in the country illegally, then administration officials would decide for them, using whatever tabulations of immigrants the bureau provided.

This would take a hammer to the bureau’s standards for accuracy. It would also reverse past practice, in which the Census Bureau calculated the House apportionment and the White House delivered the results to Congress as a formality. In January, Mr. Dillingham told Mr. Jarmin it was the bureau’s No. 1 priority — above the census itself — to turn over figures on undocumented immigrants to the White House by Jan. 15. He acknowledged proposing cash bonuses to those who could make it happen, but said he made sure anyone working on the project “would not be pulled off the 2020 census data.”

This last-minute order, which Mr. Dillingham delivered orally rather than in writing, was the breaking point for the career officials who had carried out every other directive. “The integrity of the statistical process that the Census Bureau is ethically committed to was abrogated in serious ways,” Mr. Abowd said.

Separately and anonymously, three career officials filed whistle-blower complaints with the Commerce Department’s inspector general. The complaints accused Mr. Dillingham of violating a cardinal rule for the federal government called Statistical Policy Directive 1. “A federal statistical agency,” it states, “must be independent from political and other undue external influence in developing, producing and disseminating statistics.” Mr. Dillingham said this month that when he heard about the complaints to the inspector general, he stopped asking for the immigrant tabulations.

On Jan. 18, Mr. Dillingham resigned. Mr. Trump left office two days later without the counts that would have downgraded the status of immigrants and most likely helped more Republicans win election.

The census has been wielded as a political weapon before. When the very first count in 1790 fell short (at 3.9 million) of George Washington’s expectations, he didn’t change the number, but he instructed Thomas Jefferson to check it. When Jefferson’s work produced an estimate above four million, he included the higher number in descriptions of the census abroad to make the new country appear stronger.

When the 1920 census counted rising population totals in American cities — thanks to an influx of Italians, Poles, Jews and others from outside Northern Europe — Congress refused to reapportion the House until 1929 so that rural areas wouldn’t lose seats.

And most notoriously, after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Army used census information to round up Japanese Americans for internment. (In 2000, the bureau apologized.)

Now a group of officials at the agency are considering how the census could be better protected from political meddling and misuse. In July, a committee of career professionals put in place a new policy on data stewardship, which firms up the rules governing internal as well as external access to confidential data. A bigger idea is to move the bureau out of the Commerce Department to make it more independent, like the National Science Foundation. Congress could also mandate by statute that immigrants who reside in the country must continue to be counted, as they always have been. Lawmakers (or the president, by executive order) also could further strengthen the existing safeguards in Statistical Policy Directive 1.

In the end, the delays that frustrated the anti-immigrant ambitions of Mr. Trump’s administration may end up helping his party. The bureau’s release of redistricting numbers on Thursday was several months behind schedule. Republicans, who control more state legislatures and have shown a greater appetite for extreme gerrymandering than Democrats have, could benefit because little time remains to contest maps before the 2022 elections.

The newly released numbers will now set the stage for what are likely to be colossal battles over control of the House and State Legislatures.

For career professionals, “the highest priority now,” Mr. Abowd said, “is restoring the credibility of the 2020 census and the Census Bureau.”

Edited by bolverk

Hidalgo county with 870,000 (counted) people. Un-fucking real. Cameron county is over 400,000. You see the traffic and all the new shit going up but it’s insane to actually see the numbers as someone that grew up down there. Both counties at roughly 90% hispanic as well but that’s been the case for a very long time. Might actually be a little less diverse than it used to be, which I didn’t think was possible.