Great Live Albums

Celery Man

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Lots of talking and has some overdubs, but this one is fantastic.

Also lots of talking, but has some great moments, both musically and in comedy.

Those are both great live Zappa albums. And very different from each other but still internally consistent. Frank had a philosophy he called “Project/Object” where his entire body of work was all the project and each individual performance was just an object that was part of the larger project. And he was a brilliant producer. Many of his albums mixed live and studio recordings. (His son Dweezil isn’t nearly as good, either as a producer or a guitarist. And the Zappa Family Trust pretty much sucks.)

But all of the live Zappa is great. He managed to make every show unique and different but not at all in the same way the Grateful Dead did. There was a lot more strictly composed parts but he also introduced a lot of random improvisational stuff, often based on whatever was going on with the band that day. And he was a conductor who had different signals that he could give to the band to make them do, say, or play all sorts of stuff. He’d only play a few guitar solos a night but he led the band through a show that was every bit as individual as a Dead show. And when he did play his guitar, he played it like no one else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, tying things up with a neat little bow. In the RIP Dusty Hill thread, Mileslong posted a photo of the band playing at Armadillo World Headquarters. One of my favorite Zappa bootlegs was recorded there in 1973. It featured an early version of Inca Roads with George Duke on vocals and bearing the brunt of the performance on keys. (Not to mention Ruth Underwood on marimba who was instrumental, no pun intended, in the different versions of the song.)

This was the version that went on the album One Size Fits All, released in 1975. This is my all time favorite guitar solo.

My favorite Phish music is the early stuff with more complex compositions, definitely Zappa influenced. I’ve often heard that this guitar solo was influenced by Zappa’s guitar solo in Inca Roads. Decide for yourself. But this was one of the most enjoyable moments in my concert going career. Phish and I have since parted ways. But my favorite artists are the Beatles, the Dead, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, and Miles Davis, and Phish was influenced by all of them. They started out covering the Dead. Their first Halloween “musical costume” was the White Album. Dave’s Energy Guide is totally a Crimson influence. And at the Great Went in ‘97 Trey was on the radio saying how electric Miles inspired their funk.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:45 AM, Celery Man said:

I finally watched Last Waltz not too long ago and enjoyed it but it was extremely difficult for me to make it through Joni Mitchell's bit. Maybe it's a generational thing, maybe I've just suffered through too many talentless people trying to do that kind of thing but goddamn I can't stand it. I need to listen to some of The Band's other live stuff as well.

Neil Young’s cocaine booger cracks me up