TX-06 Runoff of obscurity

cactusflinthead

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

So does this mean D’s voted for him or did Rs reject the Trump candidate.  

Dems probably voted for the not-Trump endorsed candidate 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

So does this mean D’s voted for him or did Rs reject the Trump candidate.  

21 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I cannot wait to shape the narrative on the results into my own already previously thoughts of possible outcomes. Gonna be fun

Trump Republicans don’t win when he isn’t on the ballot

Dems decided to show up for someone who won’t ever vote for a D issue for some reason

Special election, Trump voters are lazy

Would work for special elections but not for states that aren't open primary.  

You diehard Texas Democrats need to think real long and hard about what primary you're gonna pull at the ballot next May.  We're all likely in the same boat more or less.  If you can read and you know more than 7 people in your community, you probably know somebody running way down ballot for local judge, maybe state Rep.  So you want to pull that party primary ballot just to vote for 1 or 2 folks you actually know, but you're stuck voting for that party on all the other shit.  But if I were the Democrat party in most urban areas, you need to think bigger picture.  Pull a GOP primary ballot and go to town on everybody Trump endorsed or those that previously defended him.  I know you want to go for more progressive candidates on your side, I get it.  But we are not done with this cleansing operation by a long-shot.  

But people see it as a sign of disloyalty.  Fuck all that.  Pull a republican ballot in May and go against everything still left from that hunk of human shit.  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You diehard Texas Democrats need to think real long and hard about what primary you're gonna pull at the ballot next May.  We're all likely in the same boat more or less.  If you can read and you know more than 7 people in your community, you probably know somebody running way down ballot for local judge, maybe state Rep.  So you want to pull that party primary ballot just to vote for 1 or 2 folks you actually know, but you're stuck voting for that party on all the other shit.  But if I were the Democrat party in most urban areas, you need to think bigger picture.  Pull a GOP primary ballot and go to town on everybody Trump endorsed or those that previously defended him.  I know you want to go for more progressive candidates on your side, I get it.  But we are not done with this cleansing operation by a long-shot.  

But people see it as a sign of disloyalty.  Fuck all that.  Pull a republican ballot in May and go against everything still left from that hunk of human shit.  

Exactly. Hey Texas Dems, please help the party of personal responsibility be responsible! We just need, like, half a bootstrap, not even a full one!

10 hours ago, bluto said:

Just why the fuck do surviving spouses of deceased office holders feel like they have any qualification or ‘right’ to that vacated office? Crosses party lines to be clear.

100% agree with you.   

"Wright is a loser.  I didn't endorse her.  I don't even know her and have never heard of her before.  If I wanted to really endorse her she would have won with 100% of the vote.  Now has anyone seen half of a Big Mac and part of a Filet O Fish that I left near that couch a couple of days ago?  I could go for a snack. "   -Trump

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

This is why we push for everything county and down to be non partisan and ranked choice voting.  

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Just why the fuck do surviving spouses of deceased office holders feel like they have any qualification or ‘right’ to that vacated office? Crosses party lines to be clear.

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

George Wallace wasn't dead. Just termed out. 

Ma and Pa Ferguson say hi.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is why we push for everything county and down to be non partisan and ranked choice voting.  

Yeah, but it didn't pass where I live so my strategy still holds for 2022 primaries.  

Plus, did ranked choice voting apply to primaries/runoffs?  I thought it was just for generals.  I dunno, they explained it to voters about effectively as I explained soccer offsides to my daughter watching the Olympics the other night.  

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So is this a viable strategy for defeating people who are backed by Dotard?  Just get Dems to turn out and vote for the other person?  Wouldn’t work in every state though I guess. 

I don't really see the point in helping slightly-less-insane Republicans get elected. They're still going to bend the knee to Trump. For seats that are basically Republican locks, I'd prefer they be held by absolute idiots and loons rather than the somewhat-savvy business types that can give the impression that some of the party is still sane (and can figure out Congressional procedure enough to fuck with Democratic bills or at least scheduling).  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't really see the point in helping slightly-less-insane Republicans get elected. They're still going to bend the knee to Trump. For seats that are basically Republican locks, I'd prefer they be held by absolute idiots and loons rather than the somewhat-savvy business types that can give the impression that some of the party is still sane (and can figure out Congressional procedure enough to fuck with Democratic bills or at least scheduling).  

Ellzey's election to Congress also creates a vacancy in the Texas House. 

It was a little of (1) deny Trump (and Stefanik) a win and (2) reduce the TX GOP's numbers by 1 in the House for critical special sessions

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Ellzey's election to Congress also creates a vacancy in the Texas House. 

It was a little of (1) deny Trump (and Stefanik) a win and (2) reduce the TX GOP's numbers by 1 in the House for critical special sessions

That's good, as far as it goes. But re: #1, the people Trump has endorsed have frequently lost in off-year and special elections. It hasn't exactly affected his standing in the party.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/565311-trump-tries-to-spin-failed-texas-endorsement-this-was-a-win

Former President Trump on Wednesday brushed off the defeat of his preferred candidate in a House special election in Texas the day before, saying in the end the choice was between "two very good people."

Susan Wright, whom Trump had endorsed and campaigned for, was defeated Tuesday by fellow Republican Jake Ellzey in the race to replace Wright's late husband, GOP Rep. Ron Wright.

Trump told Axios in an interview he was pressured to endorse Wright by the anti-tax Club for Growth, but he refused to frame the vote as a loss.

"I think this is the only race we've lost together," Trump told Axios while discussing Club for Growth, though he paused himself after saying “lost” to change the wording.

"This is the only race we've ... this is not a loss, again, I don't want to claim it is a loss, this was a win. ... The big thing is, we had two very good people running that were both Republicans. That was the win,” he said.

dumb and dumber laughing GIF

• Haha 2

But anxiety set in as the day went on and her campaign saw higher-than-expected turnout. Then, a couple hours before polls closed, her consultant, Matt Langston, got a call.

It was from a campaign worker at a polling place, and they said the kinds of voters who were showing up had “definitely changed.” How do you know that? Langston asked.

“Because they’re all wearing masks,” the worker replied.

-----

The call, which clocked in at less than 10 minutes, was part of a burst of late activity by the pro-Trump universe of Wright’s behalf. The former president also recorded a robocall for her, and two super PACs with ties to him made last-minute ad buys. Throughout the runoff, Trump had also issued three statements reiterating his endorsement.

On Wednesday, Axios reported that Trump advisers were blaming the Club for Growth president, McIntosh, for pushing Trump to back a losing candidate. The Club for Growth did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

Well obviously tens of thousands of fake ballots were sent in using long-haul international airplanes in violation of the Wright Amendment.  So these "overseas" ballots must not be counted.  ELECTION FRAUD!  BIG LIE!  Trump will find a way to blame somebody else for this.  I hope he throws a massive tantrum because it will demonstrate how toxic he is to the 2022 mid-terms.  There's about 400 that think he's a net positive to taking back the House, and most of them are in prison or high on meth right now. 

Just in case some people glossed over this. Wow. 

But anxiety set in as the day went on and her campaign saw higher-than-expected turnout. Then, a couple hours before polls closed, her consultant, Matt Langston, got a call.

It was from a campaign worker at a polling place, and they said the kinds of voters who were showing up had “definitely changed.” How do you know that? Langston asked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

From the above link (dark mode friendly):

trumpers certainly know their base. 

9 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

LOL when 10% turnout gives you anxiety then you are a shitty candidate. A shitty Dotard-endorsed candidate, which is delicious.

Something interesting to note:

All-GOP runoff race in TX-06: 38,994 voters
All-Dem runoff race in LA-02: 87,806 voters 
Jungle race in LA-05: 103,609 voters (no run-off needed)
Tradition DvR Race in NM-01: 132,262 voters

Overall engagement seems high in 2021, but if I am the GOP, I'm a tad worried why turnout in TX-06 was so fucking bad for an all-GOP race.  Republicans continue to seem less engaged.  We will have more tests on engagement/turnout for the 2 Ohio special elections later this year (both will be DvR in heavily tilted races, one for Dems and one for Republicans)