TEAM USA vs THE WORLD (ok 5 teams)

petscii

This tournament's format seems very unstable. DR has now lost twice in the "knockout round," including its initial game in a losers' bracket. Shouldn't they be completely eliminated with the next US-Korea game loser getting bronze and the winner playing Japan for gold? DR now gets an extra day rest to play for a medal.

39 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

This tournament's format seems very unstable. DR has now lost twice in the "knockout round," including its initial game in a losers' bracket. Shouldn't they be completely eliminated with the next US-Korea game loser getting bronze and the winner playing Japan for gold? DR now gets an extra day rest to play for a medal.

Yeah, I had read the bracket to be that way until I saw an article this morning that said DR would still play the loser of the US-Korea game for the bronze.  It makes no sense.  It also makes no sense that Japan is undefeated but if they lose their next game to a one loss team they only get silver.  Someone should have gone back and studied the old NCAA 6 team regional double elimination brackets.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WBT said:

DR's first baseman is a big old boy.

Yes. I commented on this when we played them. I said he's large even for Latin first baseman standards. 

Tuning in for this but I'll probably pass out here pretty soon. Go US - would be cool to take gold in both basketball and baseball in grudge matches.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:24 PM, WBT said:

Yeah, I had read the bracket to be that way until I saw an article this morning that said DR would still play the loser of the US-Korea game for the bronze.  It makes no sense.  It also makes no sense that Japan is undefeated but if they lose their next game to a one loss team they only get silver.  Someone should have gone back and studied the old NCAA 6 team regional double elimination brackets.

The fact that I had to google wtf repechage meant tells you all you need to know about the tournament format. 

The basketball tournament format is dumb, too. 12 teams across 3 groups play a group stage to get down to... 8 teams for a quarterfinal single elimination. 

And again...this would be so awesome with fans. 

Edited by ztejas