This is fine.

Incredulity

13 hours ago, YChang said:

I lived in Oakland for almost 6 years. I love the place. In a lot of ways reminded me of Houston. Overshadowed by a more glamorous neighboring city, but it’s diverse, gritty, and unpretentious. If I won the lottery, one of the things I would do is buy a craftsman in the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland. But there’s also parts on International blvd that I wouldn’t be around at night and other crappy parts. Like any other city. I have no point, but I often question what shred of humanity still exits in the op. 

Well, sure, Baytown is a glamourous city, but does it really overshadow Houston? I guess Houston is kinda the little brother in the relationship, but "overshadowing" is going a little too far IMO.

• Haha 4

On 7/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, Born to Run said:

Yeah and go a few blocks and it's Berkeley.
Meh.

HPD in Houston literally murdering people and threatening murder didn't stop crime from happening back in the 80s when H Town was the murder capitol. Cities have lots of people and hence crime

1977 Texas Monthly cover "New Gang in Town."

Neww-gang-thumb-150x150.jpg

A little history as an aside: Torres, a 23-year old Vietnam Veteran, was arrested in May 1977 for disorderly conduct at an east-side Houston bar. The six responding officers took Torres to a place called “the hole” near Buffalo Bayou and severely beat him. When the officers presented Torres to the jail for booking, jail personnel ordered Torres taken to the hospital. Instead, the officers returned to the bayou and tossed Torres into the water with his hands still cuffed. Days later, Torres’ body was discovered in the water.

The two officers who were tried in state court on murder charges were convicted of negligent homicide and given one-year probation and a $1 fine. Later officers were tried in federal court and were convicted and served 9 months in prison.

The outrage over the officers’ action and their punishments led to riots and protests.

Edited by Bullneck