Hobby Lobby in a little bit of a . . . Messapotamia

Bullneck

Well, Indiana Jones #5 sounds fucking lame, takes place in a fucking big box strip center?  

Oh wait, are there Hobby Lobby Nazis?  I hate Hobby Lobby Nazis.  

The Garden Ridge Antiquity Wars have begun.  And as irony would have it, they will start on a Sunday. 

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, F250 said:

Hasn't this been going on for a decade? It seems like they get something confiscated every few years.

As Candida Moss and Joel Baden write in their study of the Green family’s Evangelical vision for America, Bible Nation, Hobby Lobby’s decision to ignore expert advice on antiquities collecting led to several high-profile forfeitures of illegally trafficked items and the purchase of several counterfeit objects. In 2017, the organization agreed to a settlement with the United States Attorney’s office in Brooklyn, in which they paid $3 million and eventually returned over 11,000 pieces — mostly papyrus fragments, cuneiform tablets, and small clay seals — to Egypt and Iraq. “I knew little about the world of collecting,” Hobby Lobby president Steven Green told The Wall Street Journal last March.

Green apparently has evangelical fuck fudge you money.

So the tablet was seized from Hobby Lobby in 2019.  Why is this news now?

Also, from the info posted above, it looks like the auction house is the one that committed fraud by selling it with false provenance.  Details are lacking in the report above, but it's possible that Hobby Lobby didn't know the tablet was illegal goods.

57 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Also, from the info posted above, it looks like the auction house is the one that committed fraud by selling it with false provenance.  Details are lacking in the report above, but it's possible that Hobby Lobby didn't know the tablet was illegal goods.

Hobby Lobby definitely knew.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

It's in the news now because, and bear with me here because this is where it gets tricky.....there was a new development. In a similar fashion to how when a murder is committed, the media covers the murder, trial, and subsequent verdict. Next level stuff, I know.

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

but it's possible that Hobby Lobby didn't know the tablet was illegal goods.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I had lumped in Hobby Lobby with boring sanctimonious businesses like Chick-fil-A. Now that I know they deal in illegal goods, they are actually more interesting to me. Maybe I should go see if Chick-fil-A has a secret menu with shots of moonshine on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

I had lumped in Hobby Lobby with boring sanctimonious businesses like Chick-fil-A. Now that I know they deal in illegal goods, they are actually more interesting to me. Maybe I should go see if Chick-fil-A has a secret menu with shots of moonshine on it.

Hobby Lobby also doesn't scan barcodes for products because too many of their customers are loons who think barcodes are the mark of the beast.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Hobby Lobby also doesn't scan barcodes for products because too many of their customers are loons who think barcodes are the mark of the beast.

Wait til they hear what’s actually in the Epic of Gilgamesh

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I can’t tell if this is one of those things where I’m just internet brain damaged or what, but I figured everyone knew by now that Hobby Lobby funded ISIS. Is that not something everyone knew?

This has not occurred to me, dude.

First time I saw one I was really excited. I thought it was going to have cool stuff like model trains and army men you could paint. So I took my son down there and I have never seen so much nothin' under one roof in all my life. It's like there was stuff in there, but so valueless to me it appeared to be invisible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If your hobby is worshiping Beelzebub, you are shit outa luck at Hobby Lobby…..so…..like…..false advertising?

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

5 yrs ago, I would have been inclined to consider that a sarcastic comment  . Today, with the galatic stupidity exhibited by the GOP on a daily basis, I have to assume its reality.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

First time I saw one I was really excited. I thought it was going to have cool stuff like model trains and army men you could paint. So I took my son down there and I have never seen so much nothin' under one roof in all my life. It's like there was stuff in there, but so valueless to me it appeared to be invisible. 

Hobby Lobby has a lot of stuff I'd buy and put in my home if I was selling it and wanted potential buyers to tour it.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Not really a store for guys.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hobby Lobby has a lot of stuff I'd buy and put in my home if I was selling it and wanted potential buyers to tour it.

They should have a department called “Generic staging supplies” you could even leave the pictures of the models in the picture frames.

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Not really a store for guys.

I bought $.33 cents worth of felt in there yesterday for fly tying. Same felt cut down into smaller pieces is $5.00 at the fly shop

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:37 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

They should have a department called “Generic staging supplies” you could even leave the pictures of the models in the picture frames.

I bought $.33 cents worth of felt in there yesterday for fly tying. Same felt cut down into smaller pieces is $5.00 at the fly shop

No "Michaels Arts & Crafts" anywhere near you?

the museum and hobby lobby were the ones who alerted authorities to the questionable provenance.  they did this in 2019.  they had asked christie's for additional documentation, christie's refused, so they (HL and the museum) started their own investigation and found inconsistencies with what christie's had said.  the museum voluntarily gave up the tablet back in 2019 and it was just made official last week.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Ah yes, let's trust Hobby Lobby. The organization that hired an expert in the field who told them all of the things not to do, and then did all of those things, and almost certainly helped fund terrorists in the process.

Well when you put it that way, it just sounds like standard American policy in the Middle East.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1